Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deone Bucannon, S, Washingon State

i believe we'll go after a coverage safety like Terrence Brooks or Brock Vereen but i would like Bucannon as a thumper safety seems more like the heavy hitter but lacks in pass defense doesnt fix our secondary problems. still would very much like to trade for calvin pryor who seems to excel at tackling and coverage but just hope our secondary improves.

I was hoping he would slip to us in the 3rd but he blew up at the combine for SS he had best 40 time highest vert and broad jump and best 3 cone drill. He seemed like a hybrid S Pagano would love can play more of a  FS role but lay the lumber. His coverage skills are better than most think. Living in AK I get to watch a lot of west coast ball. WSU entertaining and on the rise with Leach taking over

I think if we want him it would have to be in the 2nd and he could be the BPA at 59. His game is underrated in my opinion but something tells me someone will fall to 59 that we end up taking.

I just hope we don't end up with Brooks would rather grab Ladler in the 5th or get Exum or Dontae Johnson both who can play S but also could play on the outside and in the slot. I really like Dontae Johnson. Joyner is the DB  I would want from FSU could also play all over the back end and he tackles boy does he tackle like a mack truck. Either of those guys in the 3rd would be a steal.

It will be very interesting to see how the draft plays out. It would be nice to add a couple of middle round picks some how

underrated ball skills:  Also showed improved range and ball-skills in 2013, recording a career-high six interceptions in 2013 to give him 15 for his career... Enjoyed a solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

I would love him at 59 but I think someone will fall. He will be a player in the league for sure

With a 78-inch wingspan, Bucannon also had the widest of any of the safeties measured.

“Those are probably a lot of people who haven’t watched me,” Bucannon told detroitlions.com during a pre-draft visit to Allen Park on Wednesday. “They see my frame (6-1, 211) and think automatically, 'lets throw him in the box.'

“That’s why I’m real thankful for guys like (Seattle safety) Kam Chancellor (6-3, 232), who shows bigger safeties can cover. That’s really opening other people’s eyes. When coaches ask me what I am, I feel I can play both.

He impressed scouts, coaches and front office personnel with a 4.49 40-yard dash, a broad jump of 10 feet 6 inches and a vertical jump of 36.5 inches. He also bench-pressed 225 pounds 19 times.

He is fast strong and can cover perfect fit but he won't be there in the 3rd keeps this up might not be there at 59 I think he is the 3rd best S coming out He is 6'1" 211 faster and stronger than both Ward and Bailey

I have convinced myself grab him at 59

maybe curtis conway will convince you:

NFL Media analyst Curtis Conway is all for teams spending an early pick on either Clinton-Dix or Pryor, but thinks most folks are sleeping on Washington State's Deone Bucannon if they miss out on the pair. Conway watches a ton of Pac-12 football during the season, and as a result had plenty of ammunition as he stated his case on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" that Bucannon is right there with the other two top safeties.

"When I watch this guy on film, he's a pro," said Conway, a former top-10 pick himself. "He's the fastest safety in the draft. He's rated, in my opinion, right there with Clinton-Dix and Pryor because he's just that good.

Ward,  Buchanon or Brooks.

Any of those three in the 2nd round.     I think all could start as a rookie and be pretty decent.

The third rounders will need much more work.    They may, or may not start.   If they do start,  I don't think they'll be as good as the three second rounders we all like so much.  

There's a reason some are 2nd rounders, and some are 3rd rounders......

Brooks is overrated he can't tackle kind of an important skill  rather have Joyner from FSU. If we take a S early Bucannon is the best option. I think. 

We need to pick up another 3rd or a 4th rounder messing around with the simulator you go from riches to rags from our pick in the 3rd then waiting until our  5th.

Rather have Jimmie Ward or Terrence Brooks but he is my third choice.

I think Ward, Brooks and Bucanon are the three safeties I see as legitimate 2nd round guys.

And since we're picking 59th,  I don't think we'll get our choice.

I'm just hoping one is available when we pick.    I don't think we'll get lucky enough to have two or three available which would allow us to have our pick of the litter.

So.....   whoever is there,  I'll be fine with.

Of course that's assuming Grigson and Pagano see the board the same way....   and that may be a big assumption on our part.

Ward,  Buchanon or Brooks.

Any of those three in the 2nd round.     I think all could start as a rookie and be pretty decent.

The third rounders will need much more work.    They may, or may not start.   If they do start,  I don't think they'll be as good as the three second rounders we all like so much.  

There's a reason some are 2nd rounders, and some are 3rd rounders......

Really without knowing who we take in the 2nd or 3rd you know who needs more work? TY was a 3rd Werner a 1st...... guess that is why.....whatever

Really without knowing who we take in the 2nd or 3rd you know who needs more work? TY was a 3rd Werner a 1st...... guess that is why.....whatever

There are exceptions to everything in life.   That includes football.

But the Law of Averages...   the Law of Large Numbers says those drafted higher stand a much better chance of playing at a higher level in their first year than those drafted in lower rounds.    That happens far more than not.

The fact that you can find a case where it didn't work out doesn't mean much.

See the Big Picture,  not the narrow view.  

Just some food for thought.

There are exceptions to everything in life.   That includes football.

But the Law of Averages...   the Law of Large Numbers says those drafted higher stand a much better chance of playing at a higher level in their first year than those drafted in lower rounds.    That happens far more than not.

The fact that you can find a case where it didn't work out doesn't mean much.

See the Big Picture,  not the narrow view.  

Just some food for thought.

That's because drafts aren't always this deep. Which means most people don't usually look for stars in the third round, but they're always there. Keenan Allen was also a third round pick.

That's because drafts aren't always this deep. Which means most people don't usually look for stars in the third round, but they're always there. Keenan Allen was also a third round pick.

I don't mean to be a contrarian...   and I know what the Steelers GM said about this being one of the deepest drafts in a long time...  but I'm not seeing it.    And I don't think lots of other people are seeing it either.

I think it's exceptionally deep at certain positions...   especially WR,  Guard and  Corner...   and a few others....   but it's not nearly as deep at a number of other spots....

The grades I'm seeing on major websites don't make this seem like a great draft.   A good draft -- yes.   A very good draft -- possibly.    But as good as the Steelers GM made it seem -- I don't think so.

Believe me, I wish I felt differently about the draft and I hope I'm wrong.   But I'm not seeing a special draft at all.....

I'm not that big a fan of Bucannon, personally. He's physically gifted, absolutely. Great size, good speed (though he doesn't have a very smooth run or good top end speed), he's physical... He also has good hands and catches the ball very naturally. But I haven't seen him play good coverage in man situations -- I've seen him make several mistakes -- and while he has range, he seems to let the play get behind him too often. He's a good tackler, but he also lunges too often. 

His size and athleticism are very intriguing, but I don't like the way he plays the position.

I'm not that big a fan of Bucannon, personally. He's physically gifted, absolutely. Great size, good speed (though he doesn't have a very smooth run or good top end speed), he's physical... He also has good hands and catches the ball very naturally. But I haven't seen him play good coverage in man situations -- I've seen him make several mistakes -- and while he has range, he seems to let the play get behind him too often. He's a good tackler, but he also lunges too often. 

His size and athleticism are very intriguing, but I don't like the way he plays the position.

Judging by your review, and I'm only going by that,  it strikes me that his issues are correctable with good coaching.

He's got the athletic skills and intelligence.  Seems the mistakes he makes might be things that can be coached out of him.

Your thoughts??

Judging by your review, and I'm only going by that, it strikes me that his issues are correctable with good coaching.

He's got the athletic skills and intelligence. Seems the mistakes he makes might be things that can be coached out of him.

Your thoughts??

I don't know his background, his number of ganes started, his coachability, his aptitude, etc. And only having him under contract for four years, it's kind of hard to spend a second rounder on a guy who needs that kind of development.

I'd take him at 90. But I would rather trade down than take Bucannon at 59.

Exactly how I see him.

I'm not high on Bucannon, if he's the best safety option at 59 than I'd rather trade down, take an O-lineman (depending on who is left at that position), or go BPA if there's someone who is extra good. But I'd be disappointed if we came away with Bucannon at 59.

I pulled up quite a bit of video on him a couple of weeks ago, and I have to agree.  Watching some complete games, I saw that he would often be out of position, then take a bad angle on the receiver trying to recover. Physical skills? Yup, he's got that. He's quick, and when he gets to the ball carrier he's a thumper.  Is he coachable? I dunno. I really don't know anything about the quality of coaching at Washington State, but I'd bet they at least tried to coach him up.  Could a real NFL DB coach make him better in coverage? Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I'm not convinced.

I pulled up quite a bit of video on him a couple of weeks ago, and I have to agree. Watching some complete games, I saw that he would often be out of position, then take a bad angle on the receiver trying to recover. Physical skills? Yup, he's got that. He's quick, and when he gets to the ball carrier he's a thumper. Is he coachable? I dunno. I really don't know anything about the quality of coaching at Washington State, but I'd bet they at least tried to coach him up. Could a real NFL DB coach make him better in coverage? Guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I'm not convinced.

WSU has switched coaches recently, so it's possible that the position coaching has suffered. I know a couple of the players up there so I can ask about Bucannon, but it doesn't matter what I think or find out. I'm sure the front office is doing their due diligence.

What the coaches seem to want is to play a strong safety as a nickel corner / LB, so his man coverage will be needed. I'd rather have Bailey, since that's his role at USC, but if Bucannon can play that man role, he'd be okay. He can definitely hit, but I haven't seen the coverage from him so far.