Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arena Football League Players?

Bravo

I was watching the Arena Football League ( It's a bit different but interesting!) and was thinking..... Have the Colts ever really picked up any guys from the Arena Football League who have stayed on the 40 man roster?

Does the NFL even really look into any Arena League players? Had there been any notable players from the AFL to play in the NFL and have decent careers?

Just a quick fun fact: In the AFL when they are reviewing plays you get to hear what the ref reviewing the video is saying and seeing! I think that would be a GREAT addition for the NFL fans to see!!

A dumb drunk kicker played in the Arena League before he came to Indy never realized that knew he was from CFL. There is a long list if you google arena league players in NFL but most seemed to play Arena League after the NFL. I  confirmed theses started in the Arena League

Lots of kickers Vandy Feely, Matt Bryant, Bironas

Trufiant DB for eagles.

a couple of OL Wragge SF WHite DE for Washington

Then a couple of WR most notably Rashied Davis for the Bears.

Outside of Warner and the Kickers not a lot of big names.

Didn't Kyle DeVan start for us in our last SB? I think he was from the AF2.

I think there are a lot of players, especially in the non skill positions, that could play in the NFL if given the chance.

Yeah it seems like the lineman are more ready than the skill players.. Probably because their job is basically the same I guess

I wonder which produces better talent for the NFL between the CFL and Arena League.

Good question... Before that Grigson guy came along I haven't really heard of teams snatching players out of the CFL either.. Sure glad we got Freeman though

I wonder which produces better talent for the NFL between the CFL and Arena League.

With CFL being even more of a passing league i guess im surprised the best WRs & DBs from the CFL dont transition to the NFL more often...

Always heard Arena league relied heavy on good centers too, so i guess it seems like you could find a good OL guy from the best arena league players...

But you rarely see or hear of it happening

With CFL being even more of a passing league i guess im surprised the best WRs & DBs from the CFL dont transition to the NFL more often...

Always heard Arena league relied heavy on good centers too, so i guess it seems like you could find a good OL guy from the best arena league players...

But you rarely see or hear of it happening

Usually the CFL guys are one dimensional

I remember there being a WR from the AFL on the roster a while back but i dont remember him making the final 53 man roster. There certainly has been a few AFL guys that have been given an NFL shot. Most just dont beat out the next guy and end up getting cut.

The amount of tds thrown by a qb are unbelievable!!! Maybe luck could use a summer job in the afl

Yeah that's a grand idea. Let's have our franchise qb play in meaningless game for another league. Do some of you want him hurt?

Yeah that's a grand idea. Let's have our franchise qb play in meaningless game for another league. Do some of you want him hurt?

Well..... Jk I just think it would be cool to see how he could do in a different setting and the luck to afl was just a joke jeez.... Take a chill pill. Your suck a meany

Good question... Before that Grigson guy came along I haven't really heard of teams snatching players out of the CFL either.. Sure glad we got Freeman though

You haven't been a Colts fan for very long then have you? (It's not a knock I welcome new fans, just a question).

Polian brought in CFL guys just about every off season, most never made it out of training camp.  Some of the more notable were:

Mike Vanderjagt

Kenton Keith.

But he brought in a few LBers, CBs and DEs over the years.  I don't remember all their names.

You haven't been a Colts fan for very long then have you? (It's not a knock I welcome new fans, just a question).

Polian brought in CFL guys just about every off season, most never made it out of training camp. Some of the more notable were:

Mike Vanderjagt

Kenton Keith.

But he brought in a few LBers, CBs and DEs over the years. I don't remember all their names.

Yeah I have haha been a Colts fan my whole life!! But I'm 20 and didn't really start getting into the off season and what goes on in depth behind the scenes until I graduated high school Becuase I was always busy with football myself.. Now that I'm in college I look deeply into the game and try to go to training camps and look at players ect... So I would say I only know knew a little more than a casual fan who watched every game.. But now and for the past year and a half or so I care a lot about everything that goes on and I find joy in talking with other knowledgable Colts fans on this board and actually looking in depth of the team! So I'm glad to say I now know what's going on now and will be paying attention for many more years to come! :)

Yeah I have haha been a Colts fan my whole life!! But I'm 20 and didn't really start getting into the off season and what goes on in depth behind the scenes until I graduated high school Becuase I was always busy with football myself.. Now that I'm in college I look deeply into the game and try to go to training camps and look at players ect... So I would say I only know knew a little more than a casual fan who watched every game.. But now and for the past year and a half or so I care a lot about everything that goes on and I find joy in talking with other knowledgable Colts fans on this board and actually looking in depth of the team! So I'm glad to say I now know what's going on now and will be paying attention for many more years to come! :)

Yeah, I didn't really start to pay attention to football outside of the playing season until I was in my 20s.  Unlike you though, that was quite a few years ago for me.

Polian brought in CFL guys just about every off season, most never made it out of training camp.  Some of the more notable were:

Mike Vanderjagt

Kenton Keith.

But he brought in a few LBers, CBs and DEs over the years.  I don't remember all their names.

John Chick comes to mind.