Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jackson Jeffcoat

I see he is scheduled for a private workout with the Colts

UT's Jackson Jeffcoat has a visit set up to the Steelers and private workouts with the Falcons, Jaguars and Colts.

UT's Jackson Jeffcoat has a visit set up to the Steelers and private workouts with the Falcons, Jaguars and Colts.

— Charean Williams (@NFLCharean)

March 26, 2014

Interesting......

Another possible OLB candidate that we're working out.    Hmmmm?

Jeffcoat has played nothing but 4-3 DE and the Colts are wondering if he can convert to OLB.   He's 6'3" and 245.

Does this sound familiar to anyone here?     Can you say Bjorn Werner 2.0??   Hmmmm?

It'd be nice if we had our 1 and our 4 if we waned to gamble with a pick....  but I'm not sure we have the bullets to shoot without some real clear targets.     Can't see using anything higher than a 5 or a 6 on JJ.....

And even that..............?

Interesting......

Another possible OLB candidate that we're working out. Hmmmm?

Jeffcoat has played nothing but 4-3 DE and the Colts are wondering if he can convert to OLB. He's 6'3" and 245.

Does this sound familiar to anyone here? Can you say Bjorn Werner 2.0?? Hmmmm?

It'd be nice if we had our 1 and our 4 if we waned to gamble with a pick.... but I'm not sure we have the bullets to shoot without some real clear targets. Can't see using anything higher than a 5 or a 6 on JJ.....

And even that..............?

He's going higher than the 5th-6th round, more like the 3rd, can play in space with great change of direction skills. His skill set translates to a 3-4 OLB way better than Werner's does

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/3/14/5486710/2014-nfl-draft-prospect-jackson-jeffcoat-de-texas-scouting-report-new-york-giants

Jackson Jeffcoat   Pros

- Speed off the edge is unbelievable. Looks like a blur at times.

- Along with the burst comes the bend, he's a pure bend/speed rusher.

- Incredible production this past year. 13 sacks and 19 tackles for loss.

- Active and violent hands make him difficult to grab and hold on to.

- Good awareness and has that "nose" for the ball.

Cons

- Strength at the point of attack virtually non-existent. Gets bullied by double teams.

- As a result, suffers from "Osi" syndrome when playing against the run.

- While bend can be elite, sometimes he doesn't drop his hips and turn enough and gets ridden out of the play.

- Has been limited throughout his career by minor injury over minor injury.

- Skinny frame, though he has solid length. 6-foot-3, 250 pounds. Needs to add weight.

I noticed on NFL.com that he runs a 4.6 40 yard dash so he's definitely got some good speed off the edge. From what I read he lead the team in tackles as a defensive end, also he had 13 sacks on the year so there is quite a bit of potential.

I want Attoachu personally. I think he's going to be a star in the NFL. He's my 3rd favorite pass rusher in the draft behind Clowney and Mack. As for Jeffcoat, I think at one time he was looked at as a 2nd rounder, his stock has fallen since then though.

And we know this..... how?

Just watch him and you can see it.

Also

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737095/jackson-jeffcoat

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/05/jackson-jeffcoat-scouting-report.html

And he has like one of the top times at the combine for DEs in the 3 cone drill(2nd behind Kony Ealy)which shows a players ability to change directions pretty well and burst, and another drill as well at the combine(the 20 yard shuttle he was 1st among DEs) and ran a 4.6 40time

Sounds a lot like his predecessor, Alex Okafor last year. Sounds more like a 4th round guy, but we need to actually draft true OLB guys.

Ok that's great in theory.  However, the problem is that in the past several years, there have not been, to my knowledge, all that many college experienced 3-4 OLB's that are pro ready.  The only guy that I can think of in recent past that played 3-4 OLB in college that was drafted in the first round to play for a 3-4 team in the pro's was Jarvis Jones last year.  

Notable 3-4 OLB's that were 4-3 DE's in college:

Aldon Smith

Anthony Spencer

Demarcus Ware

Terrell Suggs

Tamba Hali

Lamar Woodley ("played predominantly at DE")

Paul Kruger

Ryan Kerrigan

Jason Worilds

I'm just gonna stop there, but seriously people really need to stop making such a big deal about how we "need to draft experienced OLB's".  The truth is, as far as I can tell, there are very few 3-4 college teams that regularly pump out top OLB prospects.  

Ok that's great in theory.  However, the problem is that in the past several years, there have not been, to my knowledge, all that many college experienced 3-4 OLB's that are pro ready.  The only guy that I can think of in recent past that played 3-4 OLB in college that was drafted in the first round to play for a 3-4 team in the pro's was Jarvis Jones last year.  

Aldon Smith

Anthony Spencer

Demarcus Ware

Terrell Suggs

Tamba Hali

Paul Kruger

Ryan Kerrigan

Jason Worilds

I'm just gonna stop there, but seriously people really need to stop making such a big deal about how we "need to draft experienced OLB's".  The truth is, as far as I can tell, there are very few 3-4 college teams that regularly pump out top OLB prospects.  

I would add our own Robert Mathis to that list

Yup, a lot of the guys who play 3-4 OLB in college are too small to play that same position in the NFL, or they get moved to DE. If not, they go early in the first round, like Jarvis Jones, who went 17th. Anthony Barr and Khalil Mack will be top ten picks this year, most likely.

There are plenty of hybrid guys every year. I think that's where the league is going anymore, especially teams that run 3-4 / Hybrid defensive fronts, like we do. You want someone who can rush the passer, period. His stance doesn't matter, because you'll let him take whatever stance he likes on passing downs. Sam backer is a different story, but I get the impression we're talking mostly about the Rush guy in our front anyways.

Jeffcoat definitly looks a bit more agile then Werner but isn't as strong and it shows on film...He struggles to consistently shed one on one blocks. I also think Werners play recognition was more developed then Jeffcoats. He also appears to not have a consistently quick first step...But neither did Werner in this category. I'd personally pass, I'd personally rather get a true OLB that has a quick first step rather then draft another Werner. I'd draft Marcus Smith  but other then that I'd draft a true OLB, Kyle Van Noy, Jeremiah Attaochu, Carl Bradford, Trevor Reilly, Jordan Tripp, Boseko Lokombo, Kevin Pierre Louis and a few others. Those guys can cover and are versatile and can prive 6-8 sacks in my opinion with good coaching and using them properly

Just watch him and you can see it.

Also

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737095/jackson-jeffcoat

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/05/jackson-jeffcoat-scouting-report.html

And he has like one of the top times at the combine for DEs in the 3 cone drill(2nd behind Kony Ealy)which shows a players ability to change directions pretty well and burst, and another drill as well at the combine(the 20 yard shuttle he was 1st among DEs) and ran a 4.6 40time

Great!    Thanks.    That was just what I was looking for.    Something tangible to back-up the view.

Appreciate it!    :thmup:

I'm not gung ho on Jeffcoat but I'm not against the idea of bringing him on board.  I don't think this is the same as Werner.Jeffcoat is much faster than Werner is.  Also on the film you see him dropping into coverage on more than one occasion, playingoff the edge in a stand up position, playing middle linebacker on some occasions.  I think he wouldn't have a problem transitioningand picking up our defense.  I do think he needs to be a bit more complete in his skill set in regards to the run, but he does have potential.

Aldon Smith

Anthony Spencer

Demarcus Ware

Terrell Suggs

Tamba Hali

Paul Kruger

Ryan Kerrigan

Jason Worilds

I meant moreso we need to draft guys who "project" as 3-4 OLB, and aren't forced conversions. There are a lot of guys who play DE mostly in  college, but come draft time you usually see DE/OLB next to their name (like Khalil Mack). We don't need any forced conversions where a guy is basically learning 2 new positons since being an OLB, also means you have to be an ILB (or at least  have ILB skills) to a certain degree.

I'm not against drafting a guy who was a DE end college, but I want a guy who actually projects to the position because he has experience playing it. We could end up with another guy who just isn't a scheme fit. Like Shea McClellin on the bears, Dion Jordan on the Dolphins,etc...

From watching some of the small clips on the internet, the University of Texas defense to me was multi-front than it was strictly a 4-3 defense. I saw Jeffcoat doing a number of different things, he didn't seem to be limited in the same way Mathis was in the Tampa 2. I don't see much of a scheme issue at all if he came to Indy.

From watching some of the small clips on the internet, the University of Texas defense to me was multi-front than it was strictly a 4-3 defense. I saw Jeffcoat doing a number of different things, he didn't seem to be limited in the same way Mathis was in the Tampa 2. I don't see much of a scheme issue at all if he came to Indy.

Scheme isssue isn't whats in question....at least not by me, Whats more likely in question is his agility and ability to hold run contain and shed blocks, I think he is more agile then Werner but I dont think agile enough to play Sam Backer

Scheme isssue isn't whats in question....at least not by me, Whats more likely in question is his agility and ability to hold run contain and shed blocks, I think he is more agile then Werner but I dont think agile enough to play Sam Backer

I do believe he's had some issues according to reports with defending and holding up against the run.  Some I've seen that give him a decent grade, while others I've seen that are less complimentary.  What about him playing the Rush linebacker behind Mathis?

I do believe he's had some issues according to reports with defending and holding up against the run.  Some I've seen that give him a decent grade, while others I've seen that are less complimentary.  What about him playing the Rush linebacker behind Mathis?

http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=Jackson+Jeff

Take a look, Plenty of games. I think he is a bit more agile then Werner and has about as quick a first step as Werner...Neither are elite in that category, I also think Werner was stronger coming out, Jeffcoat struggled to shed blocks a bit more at the college level in my opinion. Both also need to develop there pass rush moves

• 2 weeks later...

Jeffcoat doesn't fit the scheme, he's a 4-3 player and he's bad against the run. If we do draft a OLB i would want Carl Bradford, Attaochu, or Marcus Smith in that order.

Not true at all.  Jeffcoat lines up all over the place.  I've seen him lined up more at ILB than as a hands-down DE.  I'd have no problem bringing him in if it's in the 3rd or later and guys like Attachou, M. Smith, Van Noy etc are already gone.  Haven't watched enough of Bradford or other guys like Adrian Hubbard yet to see if I'd rank them above Jeffcoat.  

Walden dropped into coverage 25% of his passing snaps last season. Could Jeffcoat handle that? I don't think there's any question that he's more athletic than Walden, so my concern about projecting him to Sam is his strength at the point of attack on run plays. Not his agility. What say you?

As of now I would put Adrian Hubbard, Jackson Jeffcoat and Carl Bradford in a group behind the group of guys like Van Noy, Attachou, M. Smith etc.  My order of preference for those 3 would be Hubbard > Jeffcoat > Bradford.

As of now I would put Adrian Hubbard, Jackson Jeffcoat and Carl Bradford in a group behind the group of guys like Van Noy, Attachou, M. Smith etc.  My order of preference for those 3 would be Hubbard > Jeffcoat > Bradford.

What about Demarcus Lawrence?

What about Demarcus Lawrence?

Need to watch more of him to see where I'd put him.  With the limited viewing of him I've seen I'd put him at the top of the Hubbard/Jeffcoat/Bradford group or the bottom of the Attachou/Van Noy/M. Smith group.  Again though, definitely need to watch more of him.

Need to watch more of him to see where I'd put him.  With the limited viewing of him I've seen I'd put him at the top of the Hubbard/Jeffcoat/Bradford group or the bottom of the Attachou/Van Noy/M. Smith group.  Again though, definitely need to watch more of him.

So do I. I'm not very familiar with Hubbard, either, so I can't nitpick your rankings. :) But I do agree that Attaochu, Van Noy and Smith should be ahead of Bradford, at least.

So do I. I'm not very familiar with Hubbard, either, so I can't nitpick your rankings. :) But I do agree that Attaochu, Van Noy and Smith should be ahead of Bradford, at least.

Actually I've been thinking about it and I changed my mind...I'd put it Jeffcoat > Hubbard > Bradford.  Jeffcoat seems very versatile.  Kind of how you were saying of Van Noy is a good hybrid LB that could play ILB or OLB.  I think Jeffcoat is similar, just a grade behind Van Noy.  As for Hubbard and Bradford...Bradford might (lots of emphasis there) be a somewhat safer pick than Hubbard, but I think Hubbard has more upside.