Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft trade (1st Round)

Does "hits like Bob Sanders" = "always injured like Bob Sanders?"  While we love the way he hit with reckless abandon - that may be why his career was injury-plagued and ended too soon. 

He could have been a HOF player if the injuries didn't destroy his career but also he needed more muscle on him for the hits he was dishing out his body wasn't strong enough to handle the hits he was throwing around if he would've added about 15-18 pounds of muscle he might have played at a high level longer.

I don't see us trading up to the first round.    The cost would be super expensive.    And in a deep draft,  that seems a foolish thing to do.

And I don't see us trading up to the top of R2.   Still too expensive.      There should be someone we like at 59.     I'd be more curious if we trade up (just a little)  say,  5-10 spots if we're concerned that a guy we like who is falling to us might not make it all the way.   Do we go get him?      That's my concern.    We don't have a lot of ammunition.

I think the only round we trade up -- and I'm very confident we'll do that is....   R5.

Day 3 starts with R4.    So....   you have 32 players of R4, followed by roughly 4 more compensatory picks (that's 36) followed by roughly 26 players in R5 before the Colts make their first selection on Day 3.    That's roughly 62 players before the Colts pick.

Not.    A.    Chance.    

No way Ryan Grigson sits on his hands while 62 players are picked before him.   Sorry, I don't see it.

So, I'm predicting we trade next year's 5 along with this year's 5, to move up roughly 15-20 picks toward the top of the 5th round to make our selection.      Simple.    Straight forward.    Reasonable.     Doesn't mortgage our future.

That's the one trade UP I think we'll make.    Otherwise, I think there's a far greater likelihood of the Colts trading down (a little) in R2 and maybe also in R3 as well.    Picks up other draft choices and still get the player they like.

This has been my view for months....  and I've seen nothing to make me change that view.   All in the information that's come out lately (how good and deep the draft is)  makes me more confident that this is what we'll do......

He could have been a HOF player if the injuries didn't destroy his career but also he needed more muscle on him for the hits he was dishing out his body wasn't strong enough to handle the hits he was throwing around if he would've added about 15-18 pounds of muscle he might have played at a high level longer.

haha WHAT? Are you being serious with this comment? Bob Sanders not having enough weight/muscle? The guy was maybe 5'8 with cleats on and was nearly 210lbs. Put that into perspective with a guy like Bethea who's close to 6' at ~205lbs. The guy had more than enough weight and muscle to play safety. Some are just more unfortunate than others with injuries. Coincidentally the only year Bob stayed healthy all season was 07' when he won DPOY and wasn't needed in the box as much as he had to be in years past.

Then you get into the habit of mortgaging the future for the present. We can't keep putting ourselves in a hole when the draft comes. Just sit pat and reap what you sow so you can stop pushing it back farther, costing more in the process.

Last year the Patriots gave up there first round pick for a 2,3,4,and 7 from the Vikings.

To get up into the first round we would have to trade every pick in the draft.

this is the type of thing i would like the colts to do. improve the team with free agents this year while there is cap space and trade the draft picks for better and more picks next year. this sets the team up for draft opportunities in future years when there won't be the cap space to improve the team. i wouldn't have a problem if they traded most of this years picks. it would be a attractive situation for the better undrafted players, with less competition for roster spots. 

haha WHAT? Are you being serious with this comment? Bob Sanders not having enough weight/muscle? The guy was maybe 5'8 with cleats on and was nearly 210lbs. Put that into perspective with a guy like Bethea who's close to 6' at ~205lbs. The guy had more than enough weight and muscle to play safety.

i was going to post the same thing. i shake my head in amazement at what some people are thinking.

Actually, we should probably have a topic on possible trade scenarios because I think there will be an unprecedented amount of trades in this draft. Because of how deep it is, there will be a lot of trading down. Teams who are looking to rebuild like Washington will look to move up for cheap.

I think trading down makes more sense for the Colts because we select at the bottom of each round we have picks in. We need to gather more picks so we won't have to wait until the end of every round to be picked, when most of the good talent is gone.

Trading back for draft picks/players that are Higher risk to ever be a starter. A very Poor idea.

We need Quality at S or to draft a future replacement for Mathis, Toler, 
 i hope we keep this years picks and trade into the 2nd or 3rd to get a much Liked scheme fit DB or a Center.

I wouldn't move up for a safety. I would consider it for a pass rusher though.

The one player who might slip and who I would consider moving up for is Kony Ealy from Missouri. Great size and athleticism. I feel he could play the OLB position. Huge upgrade.

I would not trade next year's number 1 to move up though.

I was wondering if you guys think there's any possibility we trade up into the 1st round of the draft?

Possible target: Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville

Saw film on him on nfl network and he hits like bob sanders.

Here's another way to explain how expensive it is to move up into the first round.

Last year, in a surprise trade,  Minnesota traded up from deep in the 2nd round (roughly where we are now) to low in the first round...  roughly one full round.     And it cost them their 2/3/4 in last year's draft. 

As you know, we don't have our 4 this year.

So, odds are,  in order to make that trade we'd have to trade our 2 and 3 this year and a 3 next year in order to have a chance to get into the bottom quarter of the first round.

And then, if we did do that,  we wouldn't have another draft pick until low in the 5th round.   And we'd be without our 3 in 2015.

That's a trade I would not make on every level you can think of.    I'd pass on that.....

Of course, your mileage may vary............

From what Ive been reading, lots of teams want to move back this year which is making moving up cheaper than normal. Perhaps next years first and this years second and 5th or something like that may do it. I can really only see something like that if Prior or Dix are available.

The only way I see us moving up in the first round is if a team wants to move out of the first round... Not sure with all the rules if it could be just a swap of picks or would there need to be two picks to move up in round one.

Not sure if this is a serious post.