Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nobody's mock draft 2014

2. Kyle Van Noy- OLB BYU

The thing with Van Noy is he isn't an elite pass rusher as of now. But his all around skills- relative flexibility in coverage and power against the run game- make him a day one starter opposite Robert Mathis IMO. And he's better in pretty much every category than Walden.

3. Dion Bailey- S USC

I really like Bailey, I think he's athletic and tough, and plays on the ball very well, he looks like a natural receiver at times. This would be a gamble, as Bailey primary played in man coverage when he covered, and is good in the box. He'd have to learn to be more of a FS. In the future we can move him to Landry's spot and get a center field type FS. A player I couldn't pass on here.

5. Trai Turner- OG LSU

Only a young and raw and powerful RS Sophomore and a great run blocker for Jeremy Hill. If he stayed he'd be a top pick next year.

6. Andrew Jackson- ILB WKU

A thumper. Not great in coverage but he's what we could use next to Freeman.

7. Aaron Colvin- CB Oklahoma

This is my "why not?" pick. Probably second rounder if not for injury. Honestly this could be replaced with any number of picks.

I like the Bailey and Jackson picks.  

Jackson is flat out mean on the field.  We need someone who hits with a purpose and can wrap up tackles.  At a solid 255 he as Nobody says will "thump you."

I also like Van Noy...I cannot get over that he somehow reminds me of Trev Alberts in size and simply the way he plays.  Bad omen for me. :)  Still not over Alberts :)

2. Kyle Van Noy- OLB BYU

The thing with Van Noy is he isn't an elite pass rusher as of now. But his all around skills- relative flexibility in coverage and power against the run game- make him a day one starter opposite Robert Mathis IMO. And he's better in pretty much every category than Walden.

3. Dion Bailey- S USC

I really like Bailey, I think he's athletic and tough, and plays on the ball very well, he looks like a natural receiver at times. This would be a gamble, as Bailey primary played in man coverage when he covered, and is good in the box. He'd have to learn to be more of a FS. In the future we can move him to Landry's spot and get a center field type FS. A player I couldn't pass on here.

5. Trai Turner- OG LSU

Only a young and raw and powerful RS Sophomore and a great run blocker for Jeremy Hill. If he stayed he'd be a top pick next year.

6. Andrew Jackson- ILB WKU

A thumper. Not great in coverage but he's what we could use next to Freeman.

7. Aaron Colvin- CB Oklahoma

This is my "why not?" pick. Probably second rounder if not for injury. Honestly this could be replaced with any number of picks.

I like the guys,  but by taking Van Noy and announcing he's your Day One starter opposite Mathis,  that means you're flushing both Werner and Walden down the toilet?

Already?

I like the guys,  but by taking Van Noy and announcing he's your Day One starter opposite Mathis,  that means you're flushing both Werner and Walden down the toilet?

Already?

Werner wasn't drafted to be a cover or stop the run guy.. He shouldn't have even been drafted by us but that's beside the point. If Werner works out it won't be opposite Mathis, it'll be in his place.

As for Walden, he was never in anyone's long term plans was he?

Someone sell me on Dion Bailey. I can't get on the bandwagon with him seeing as he played ILB for 3 years, and has only one year experience playing safety. By default that makes him a box safety, but we need a FS with range to cover and play the run.

Someone sell me on Dion Bailey. I can't get on the bandwagon with him seeing as he played ILB for 3 years, and has only one year experience playing safety. By default that makes him a box safety, but we need a FS with range to cover and play the run.

By default? So no matter what if a guy played LB before he's incapable of covering? Like I said he's very good in man coverage and as a linebacker you do play short zone most of the time, he's an experienced cover man who happens to be able to lay the wood like a linebacker. Is he Jairus Byrd? No but that's not what I was aiming for.

Have you watched some tape on him? He's not built like a typical linebacker (Him vs Andrew Jackson for example, is a huge difference) he's definitely a defensive back. In college you play your best 11 guys and at USC where safety talent is everywhere, his best course of action was that he could contribute at LB.

See TJ Ward or Donte Whitner. Both famous for playing the run and big hits and both more than capable of playing linebacker in college, but they have been successful in coverage. Many wanted TJ as our FS and Whitner is better in coverage actually.

Werner wasn't drafted to be a cover or stop the run guy.. He shouldn't have even been drafted by us but that's beside the point. If Werner works out it won't be opposite Mathis, it'll be in his place.

As for Walden, he was never in anyone's long term plans was he?

So, you're saying Werner rides the bench this year as the back-up to Mathis while Van Noy plays opposite Mathis.

And Walden, who signed a 4-year deal,  gets cut after this year.  

I'm OK on Walden....   not sure about Werner.....

So, you're saying Werner rides the bench this year as the back-up to Mathis while Van Noy plays opposite Mathis.

And Walden, who signed a 4-year deal, gets cut after this year.

I'm OK on Walden.... not sure about Werner.....

Whats the alternative to Werner you want exactly? Mathis is better at the Rush LB spot and Walden on the other side. Werner isn't good enough to beat out either, he certainly isn't going to start.. right? It won't hurt to let a very raw and youn player sit, and whether we draft Van Noy or not BW is sitting.

Whats the alternative to Werner you want exactly? Mathis is better at the Rush LB spot and Walden on the other side. Werner isn't good enough to beat out either, he certainly isn't going to start.. right? It won't hurt to let a very raw and youn player sit, and whether we draft Van Noy or not BW is sitting.

My hope for Werner is that he becomes good enough to start taking considerable snaps from Walden.

We very badly need more pressure on the QB and I don't see Walden providing it.

So,  in my version,  if Werner is getting snaps from Walden,  I'm not sure what to do about Van Noy (who I like...)

But....   I suspect in the draft,  unless we come up with a safety soon,  we'll be taking one in the 2nd, or 3rd round.

My hope for Werner is that he becomes good enough to start taking considerable snaps from Walden.

We very badly need more pressure on the QB and I don't see Walden providing it.

So, in my version, if Werner is getting snaps from Walden, I'm not sure what to do about Van Noy (who I like...)

But.... I suspect in the draft, unless we come up with a safety soon, we'll be taking one in the 2nd, or 3rd round.

Then our run defense suffers. Werner isn't a fit there as of now.

2.Marcus Smith-DE/OLB Louisville OR Jordan Matthews OR Kyle Van Noy OR Trade Down with Cleveland Browns(picking up there 4th round pick....They have 2)

3.Bryan Stork-Center Florida State

3.Dion Bailey-Safety USC

4.(Trade down scenario) Justin Ellis-NT Louisiana Tech

5.Jeff Janis-Saginaw Valley WR

6.Jerick Mckinnon-Georgia Southern RB (Scat Back)

7.Shawn Jackson-Tulsa ILB/OLB

Also, I dont believe Werner was originally supposed to play opposite of Mathis in Waldens spot...He was supposed to be a situational pass rusher behind Mathis so in affect drafting an OLB such as Van Noy would be for the purposes of eventually taking Waldens spot

Also, I dont believe Werner was originally supposed to play opposie of Mathis in Waldens spot...He was supposed to be a situational pass rusher behind Mathis so in affect drafting an OLB such as Van Noy would be for the purposes of eventually taking Waldens spot

Are you talking to NCF? Because that's what I've been saying.

c travis swanson better rated . 5.5

rg guard  , gabe jackson rated 6.1

Louise nix  as a nt  rated 5.9 rated best run blocker.

rent Murphy  OLB , rated 5.65

ed Reynolds  rated 5.2 fs

Keith mcgill   cb  rated 5.25

I guess my thinking is that I don't see Werner playing the Mathis/Suggs role.  I think you need to have a guy who is quicker than Werner.  Not that Werner is slow at all.

Walden is slower but packs more of a punch than Mathis, which is why I would prefer to teach Werner that spot after he gets stronger.  I see Werner being on the same athletic level as Walden, but bigger, longer, and with better pass rushing skills..  I would rather draft a quicker guy to replace Mathis. 

I don't know if Van Noy is that guy...or if it should be Marcus Smith.....or Dee Ford.

I really like the Turner and Jackson picks.

I feel like we need to take a center. I really hope Phil Costa is not our center next year.

I am not familiar with Dion Bailey, but I am not a fan of USC defensive players in general. I prefer Antone Exum from Virginia Tech as a free safety.

I can't see the Van Noy pick with Werner on the roster as well as Walden.

c travis swanson better rated . 5.5

rg guard , gabe jackson rated 6.1

Louise nix as a nt rated 5.9 rated best run blocker.

rent Murphy OLB , rated 5.65

ed Reynolds rated 5.2 fs

Keith mcgill cb rated 5.25

? What is this? Players you'd rather have?

Swanson is weak and unathletic, purely a college C IMO.

I guess my thinking is that I don't see Werner playing the Mathis/Suggs role. I think you need to have a guy who is quicker than Werner. Not that Werner is slow at all.

Walden is slower but packs more of a punch than Mathis, which is why I would prefer to teach Werner that spot after he gets stronger. I see Werner being on the same athletic level as Walden, but bigger, longer, and with better pass rushing skills.. I would rather draft a quicker guy to replace Mathis.

I don't know if Van Noy is that guy...or if it should be Marcus Smith.....or Dee Ford.

Werner fits neither spot TBH. But he can't defend the run and he doesn't cover, so if he's ever anything for us it will be a pass rusher. I wish I was wrong on BW because anyone could see that was a terrible pick for us..

Regardless, Van Noy actually fits our scheme opposite Mathis while we have time to draft someone to take Mathis' place as main pass rusher

I really like the Turner and Jackson picks.

I feel like we need to take a center. I really hope Phil Costa is not our center next year.

I am not familiar with Dion Bailey, but I am not a fan of USC defensive players in general. I prefer Antone Exum from Virginia Tech as a free safety.

I can't see the Van Noy pick with Werner on the roster as well as Walden.

Why not? I dislike USC and enjoy their failures but they spit out top notch defenders.

Exum is a good possibility.

And why not? Werner is riding the pine this season again.

2.Marcus Smith-DE/OLB Louisville OR Jordan Matthews OR Kyle Van Noy OR Trade Down with Cleveland Browns(picking up there 4th round pick....They have 2)

3.Bryan Stork-Center Florida State

3.Dion Bailey-Safety USC

4.(Trade down scenario) Justin Ellis-NT Louisiana Tech

5.Jeff Janis-Saginaw Valley WR

6.Jerick Mckinnon-Georgia Southern RB (Scat Back)

7.Shawn Jackson-Tulsa ILB/OLB

Also, I dont believe Werner was originally supposed to play opposite of Mathis in Waldens spot...He was supposed to be a situational pass rusher behind Mathis so in affect drafting an OLB such as Van Noy would be for the purposes of eventually taking Waldens spot

Bryan Stork first round  low second , colts don,t have a low pick .

Van Noy is a good player i just wouldn't go OLB with the 1st pick.

Draft

2nd: Keith Mcgill, CB, Utah( Toler injury history)

3rd: Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech

5th: Kenny Ladler FS, Vanderbilt

6th: Mason Walters G, Texas

7th: Ben Malena RB, Texas A&M

McGill is already 25. You don't have an issue with that?

and he doesn't cover,

What do you mean by he doesn't cover?  Does any OLB actually cover?  I mean, if they are big enough to be effective at holding the run at the LOS and applying QB pressure, they are at least 6'2, 255.  What player is a person that size going to really cover?

I think "cover" for a 34 OLB consists of dropping off the LOS, taking a few steps to the left or right or backwards, then swatting at passes.

Not at all, he should be able to come in and contribute right away. It doesn't necessarily have to be Mcgill because he might go earlier but i do think we need a CB. Pierre Desir would be my 2nd option if Mcgill is gone.

McGill is already 25. You don't have an issue with that?

I'd be happy with Van Noy in the second.  Not crazy about Dion Bailey.

An active linebacker who can cover and blow up the run opposite Mathis would be great.  I don't mind Walden, but Van Noy could be a difference maker.  I think Werner would be best in a rush role backing up Mathis.

As far as Bailey, it has already been said, he's a converted linebacker.  It smells too much like box safety.  Since we already played two SS last year, I'd kill for a true free safety.

2.  Chris Smith  -  He has a nice blend of movement skils and rush ability.  

3. Will Sutton - An active DE.  He fell because of added weight and a down year.  It was still a great year.  Could Push Francois

5.  James Hurst  -  He would be a fantastic backup OT.   

7.  Keith Price  - One of my favorites.  Could back up Luck for years

7.  Alex Bayer  -  Can Block and Catch, still tough to stick

I'd be happy with Van Noy in the second.  Not crazy about Dion Bailey.

An active linebacker who can cover and blow up the run opposite Mathis would be great.  I don't mind Walden, but Van Noy could be a difference maker.  I think Werner would be best in a rush role backing up Mathis.

As far as Bailey, it has already been said, he's a converted linebacker.  It smells too much like box safety.  Since we already played two SS last year, I'd kill for a true free safety.

2.  Chris Smith  -  He has a nice blend of movement skils and rush ability.  

3. Will Sutton - An active DE.  He fell because of added weight and a down year.  It was still a great year.  Could Push Francois

5.  James Hurst  -  He would be a fantastic backup OT.   

7.  Keith Price  - One of my favorites.  Could back up Luck for years

7.  Alex Bayer  -  Can Block and Catch, still tough to stick

Bailey is a true FS but can also be used as a Joker

What do you mean by he doesn't cover? Does any OLB actually cover? I mean, if they are big enough to be effective at holding the run at the LOS and applying QB pressure, they are at least 6'2, 255. What player is a person that size going to really cover?

I think "cover" for a 34 OLB consists of dropping off the LOS, taking a few steps to the left or right or backwards, then swatting at passes.

I mean he never dropped back into coverage?

And plenty of OLBs cover? There's a reason they're not called DEs.

I'd be happy with Van Noy in the second. Not crazy about Dion Bailey.

An active linebacker who can cover and blow up the run opposite Mathis would be great. I don't mind Walden, but Van Noy could be a difference maker. I think Werner would be best in a rush role backing up Mathis.

As far as Bailey, it has already been said, he's a converted linebacker. It smells too much like box safety. Since we already played two SS last year, I'd kill for a true free safety.

2. Chris Smith - He has a nice blend of movement skils and rush ability.

3. Will Sutton - An active DE. He fell because of added weight and a down year. It was still a great year. Could Push Francois

5. James Hurst - He would be a fantastic backup OT.

7. Keith Price - One of my favorites. Could back up Luck for years

7. Alex Bayer - Can Block and Catch, still tough to stick

Definitely agree with your sentiments on Van Noy, 100%.

Not a huge fan of the draft, not a single starter in there IMO, and certainly 0 starters year 1. DE, TE, QB and OT are all arguably our deepest positions. We would have nothing at FS too. Smith would be the only pick I really like, since I feel Sutton, while great value and talent, doesn't have a place here right now.

Werner fits neither spot TBH. But he can't defend the run and he doesn't cover, so if he's ever anything for us it will be a pass rusher. I wish I was wrong on BW because anyone could see that was a terrible pick for us..

Regardless, Van Noy actually fits our scheme opposite Mathis while we have time to draft someone to take Mathis' place as main pass rusher

I agree. You would think they would learn from the previous owner and no better than to have your ends (Whether it be -3 DE's or 3-4 OLB's) be pure pass rushers only, with no versatility. I've never been a huge fan of those "Designated Pass Rusher" guys who contribute nothing else. It's fine if they're rotational guys you bringin for Blitz packages and 3rd down formations, but they shouldn't be starters. That is pretty much Freeney and Mathis (to a lesser extent) in a nut shell.

We need playmakers at OLB, not just rushers. That was Freeney's greatest weakness. He was only ever effective when he got a sack. He offered nothing more, and he was effective like once every 5-10 attempts. The thing that makes JJ Watt great is that he's always contributing in some way. Tackles for loss, batted down passes, collapsing a pocket, setting the edge, sacks, FF,etc... Werner looked like he could do a lot of that in college, but on the NFL level in our system he's a fish out of water.

I mean he never dropped back into coverage?

And plenty of OLBs cover? There's a reason they're not called DEs.

Vrabel and Kruger were both DE's in college too.  They played well as OLB's in the pros.

But leaving Werner at rush LB might be exactly what happens.

Who were the SAM backers in Pittsburgh's good 34, Woodley or Harrison, and what position did they play iin college?  I'm asking for real cuz Idk.

Vrabel and Kruger were both DE's in college too. They played well as OLB's in the pros.

But leaving Werner at rush LB might be exactly what happens.

Who were the SAM backers in Pittsburgh's good 34, Woodley or Harrison, and what position did they play iin college? I'm asking for real cuz Idk.

Im not talking about college, I mean he wasn't asked to cover last year. Not talking about 4-3 to 3-4 conversions out of college. I mean there's a reason they're OLB.

As a Michigan fan I know Woodley played both DE and LB. Harrison played linebacker I think.

Im not talking about college, I mean he wasn't asked to cover last year. Not talking about 4-3 to 3-4 conversions out of college. I mean there's a reason they're OLB.

As a Michigan fan I know Woodley played both DE and LB. Harrison played linebacker I think.

Ok, I see.  I just meant that those college DE's learned the intricacies of the OLB position after a few years in the NFL.   I think its possible Grigs/Pagano think Werner has the ability to cover as well as Walden currently does (however much he's asked to do it), if not better, but that he has to learn it more.  I think his overall limited football experience resulted in Pagano mainly asking him to do what he did in college because he is a rookie, not because that is going to be his long term role.  Just speculation.  

My whole point in deviating to Werner is that with OLB's of Werner, Mathis, and Walden, I would prefer to get an OLB in the second that's more of a pass rusher than Van Noy, since Mathis, our best rusher, needs the breather, and that Werner will be getting stronger to help Walden set the edge in future years.  I would just prefer someone like Marcus Smith.

Yes, I could have it all backwards and Werner will take Mathis' role when he departs.  I think most of the forum thinks that.  If that's the plan, someone like Van Noy probably makes more sense.

Ok, I see. I just meant that those college DE's learned the intricacies of the OLB position after a few years in the NFL. I think its possible Grigs/Pagano think Werner has the ability to cover as well as Walden currently does (however much he's asked to do it), if not better, but that he has to learn it more. I think his overall limited football experience resulted in Pagano mainly asking him to do what he did in college because he is a rookie, not because that is going to be his long term role. Just speculation.

My whole point in deviating to Werner is that with OLB's of Werner, Mathis, and Walden, I would prefer to get an OLB in the second that's more of a pass rusher than Van Noy, since Mathis, our best rusher, needs the breather, and that Werner will be getting stronger to help Walden set the edge in future years. I would just prefer someone like Marcus Smith.

Yes, I could have it all backwards and Werner will take Mathis' role when he departs. I think most of the forum thinks that. If that's the plan, someone like Van Noy probably makes more sense.

the fact of the matter is Werner was not and is not supposed to play Waldens role.