Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

dividing the free agents between money and championships

bap1331

If there's anything the colts need to know is whether the free agents are looking for money or a championship. Also if they fit the system, I feel like we have a good chance of picking up good players because they know indy is not where they will get the biggest contract. Here are the players that I think will fit, you can beg to differ: Championships;

Hakeem nicks-he said it himself, he'd be dangerous if Andrew luck threw to him. Clearly he wants more then 1 ring.

Bennett; gave a discount to the seahawks to stay with the team. #loyalty

Money:

Vontae Davis: really sad it came to this point. I'm sure 99.9 percent of the colts players have been loyal to this organization. They would take a decent contract just to be in indy.

Revis: there's no need to say more. He said he's all about the money before. But who knows? Maybe he will change.

Aqib talib-he considers himself one of the leagues best. Wants big money. Apparently something is coming close with the pats. Maybe it's a false flag just like Davis. I don't see him getting big money in new England. They're not the cowboys or bears.

Lamar Woodley. Gets a big 6 year, 65 million contract and can't even battle hamstring injuries...how sad! Everyone knows that all you need to do to avoid that is to stretch before a game. He's too lazy to even do that,!

I don't know about 99.9 percent. It's a business, and these guys are professionals trying to support their families and make the best decisions for their own lives. It's not a player's job to worry about if the team they're going to can compete for championships, that's what the GM does.

If there's anything the colts need to know is whether the free agents are looking for money or a championship. Also if they fit the system, I feel like we have a good chance of picking up good players because they know indy is not where they will get the biggest contract. Here are the players that I think will fit, you can beg to differ: Championships;

Hakeem nicks-he said it himself, he'd be dangerous if Andrew luck threw to him. Clearly he wants more then 1 ring.

Money:

Vontae Davis: really sad it came to this point. I'm sure 99.9 percent of the colts players have been loyal to this organization. They would take a decent contract just to be in indy.

Revis: there's no need to say more. He said he's all about the money before. But who knows? Maybe he will change.

Aqib talib-he considers himself one of the leagues best. Wants big money. Apparently something is coming close with the pats. Maybe it's a false flag just like Davis. I don't see him getting big money in new England. They're not the cowboys or bears.

Lamar Woodley. Gets a big 6 year, 65 million contract and can't even battle hamstring injuries...how sad! Everyone knows that all you need to do to avoid that is to stretch before a game. He's too lazy to even do that,!

This is wrong on so many levels.      :facepalm:

Boy, are you on a hot streak...................

I don't know about 99.9 percent. It's a business, and these guys are professionals trying to support their families and make the best decisions for their own lives. It's not a player's job to worry about if the team they're going to can compete for championships, that's what the GM does.

:sigh:

People kill me with that "They gotta support their families" nonsense

They make $1 million + that's more than almost 90% of the average American makes. If you can't support a family off of $5million, then you need to take a money management class

They make $1 million + that's more than almost 90% of the average American makes. If you can't support a family off of $5million, then you need to take a money management class

I understand that, but put yourself in their shoes. It's like getting a promotion, your going to take the better deal if another team offers you more money.

Really really not true at all, every case is different of course, but in some not matter how well you treat and rehabilitate you will always be more liable to a re-tear/strain*

I'd also argue that static stretching is one of the worse things to do but this is still a matter of some debate in the medical world. 

*Source I've torn and re-strained the same hamstring numerous times even with careful stretching prior to sport. 

Most players have a very short career. They need to make what they can while their body can hold up. Many times their bodies are shot by the end of their career as well. How much is that worth?

Money:

Your topic starting privileges need to be revoked

Crap the players actually have to play too you know.

After you've gotten enough money a lot of times you want to start competing for championships.  

Also in the long run you are more likely to look good on a good team and therefore get better contracts in the future.  That's the thing with like Decker.  Would he take a slightly smaller contract to play with a better QB?  Yes he would and he would be stupid not to.  

The difference between playing for the next 4 years with the Jets and the next 4 years with the Colts is that with the Colts and a good QB, he's likely to see at least one more sizeable contract after those 4 years.  With the Jets he could go play there, catch very few passes from a legion of bad quarterbacks and after those 4 years be considered a washed up player who had 2 good years with Peyton Manning.

In the long run a lot of these guys will take slightly smaller contracts to play for better teams.  Now if the difference is 5 million and 8 million they will probably chase the money.  But if the difference is 7 million and 8 million then they might just play for the better team.

Its the nature of the occupation...you cant ask to be paid extra for it.....average players are set for life if they handle their money

Most players have a very short career. They need to make what they can while their body can hold up. Many times their bodies are shot by the end of their career as well. How much is that worth?

I don't believe any player should be expected to take less money than what he is worth. NFL careers are short and players should not be made to feel like they have to take a home town discount to stay. The market sets the price and of course a player can be cut at anytime - case in point Revis. It is what it is and I try not to get too worked up as solid orgs figure out how to build contending teams. Like I have always said this era of FA/cap is by far the hardest era to build a competitive team year in and year out. In Bill I trust. ;)

After you've gotten enough money a lot of times you want to start competing for championships.  

Also in the long run you are more likely to look good on a good team and therefore get better contracts in the future.  That's the thing with like Decker.  Would he take a slightly smaller contract to play with a better QB?  Yes he would and he would be stupid not to.  

The difference between playing for the next 4 years with the Jets and the next 4 years with the Colts is that with the Colts and a good QB, he's likely to see at least one more sizeable contract after those 4 years.  With the Jets he could go play there, catch very few passes from a legion of bad quarterbacks and after those 4 years be considered a washed up player who had 2 good years with Peyton Manning.

In the long run a lot of these guys will take slightly smaller contracts to play for better teams.  Now if the difference is 5 million and 8 million they will probably chase the money.  But if the difference is 7 million and 8 million then they might just play for the better team.

Ask Wes Welker, last offseason he was offered 2 yr $10 million from the Patriots but declined it for a 2 yr $12 million for the Broncos. He could have stayed with a proven championship contender that he had played for for 6 years but instead left one of the best qbs ever and the best coach in the NFL for $1 million extra per year. And this is after the Patriots had just made it to the AFC championship game going further than the Broncos who had lost in the Divisional round.

Ask Wes Welker, last offseason he was offered 2 yr $10 million from the Patriots but declined it for a 2 yr $12 million for the Broncos. He could have stayed with a proven championship contender that he had played for for 6 years but instead left one of the best qbs ever and the best coach in the NFL for $1 million extra per year. And this is after the Patriots had just made it to the AFC championship game going further than the Broncos who had lost in the Divisional round.

But to say that he wasn't going to another Championship contender is kind of foolish don't you think?  

Plus there is word that Belicheck and him didn't get along.  

He left Brady and went to Manning. I don't think that's a big change. Same if he had gone to Rodgers or Brees. Plus, there were a lot of hurt feelings in New England between Welker and the management.   Not the best example you could have used.

But to say that he wasn't going to another Championship contender is kind of foolish don't you think?  

Plus there is word that Belicheck and him didn't get along.  

I never said Denver wasn't a Championship contender, I'm just saying, he had an opportunity to stay with a team that he had been on for 6 years, a team he had competed in 2 Super Bowls with, for only $1 million less per year.

Its like if you want to make vegtable soup you need onions, carrots, potatoes,and celery. Not all vegtables cost the same, but you need all the vegtables to make the soup, if you are a stalk of celery and you know that the cost of celery is .99, then youre not gonna sell yourself for.50 just to make the soup taste better...

My two cents... Way to simple.

Now, there are players who are not exactly making the mega $$. Roster players who only play rarely and are worried about getting cut every year. For players like that, get paid as much as you can is the smartest move.

But then there are other players, household names. Starters who make serious money. Sure there's always risk when playing pro football, but once you've made 10 million$, like a ton of these guys do in a few years, setting yourself up financially for the future shouldn't be very difficult. In fact you would have to be very unintelligent not to be set for life. Your kids as well.

So maybe someone else at your level makes 10 mio.$ a year, playing for a team going nowhere or a "1 and out" playoff team. Would you really turn down the chance to win a ring or two while "only" making 7 or 8 million$ for a couple of years?

I'm quite sure you would be able to scrape by on such a salary, even while having a Ferrari and a Benz in the garage of your 1500 square feet home.

Comparing these things to "regular people" distorts the reality here. Anyone working a "normal" job, would of course go for the money if they had the chance to make 50% more, but once you've already made more money than you can spend, even if you live a life in luxury, the perspective changes.

Take DeMarcus Ware - If he goes for the money, he'll end up on a team without any realistic chance of winning the Super Bowl. Do you really think he hasn't already made more than enough money with the Cowboys to secure himself and his famliy? So what if he can get that ring that has eluded him, by "only" making 10 million over the next two years, as opposed to maybe making 15 millions with the Raiders. Is those 5 million really going to be the deciding factor considering how much money he has made during his career? I seriously doubt it.

My two cents... Way to simple.

Now, there are players who are not exactly making the mega $$. Roster players who only play rarely and are worried about getting cut every year. For players like that, get paid as much as you can is the smartest move.

But then there are other players, household names. Starters who make serious money. Sure there's always risk when playing pro football, but once you've made 10 million$, like a ton of these guys do in a few years, setting yourself up financially for the future shouldn't be very difficult. In fact you would have to be very unintelligent not to be set for life. Your kids as well.

So maybe someone else at your level makes 10 mio.$ a year, playing for a team going nowhere or a "1 and out" playoff team. Would you really turn down the chance to win a ring or two while "only" making 7 or 8 million$ for a couple of years?

I'm quite sure you would be able to scrape by on such a salary, even while having a Ferrari and a Benz in the garage of your 1500 square feet home.

Comparing these things to "regular people" distorts the reality here. Anyone working a "normal" job, would of course go for the money if they had the chance to make 50% more, but once you've already made more money than you can spend, even if you live a life in luxury, the perspective changes.

Take DeMarcus Ware - If he goes for the money, he'll end up on a team without any realistic chance of winning the Super Bowl. Do you really think he hasn't already made more than enough money with the Cowboys to secure himself and his famliy? So what if he can get that ring that has eluded him, by "only" making 10 million over the next two years, as opposed to maybe making 15 millions with the Raiders. Is those 5 million really going to be the deciding factor considering how much money he has made during his career? I seriously doubt it.

First off, you realize if a player makes 3 million a year they clear about 1 million. After taxes and the agent is paid.

Second, Do you think a 1500 square foot home is a big house?

you can support a family on a long snappers salary.  Its greed, plain and simple.  Dont tell me they need 10 milion a year to support a family. 

you can support a family on a long snappers salary.  Its greed, plain and simple.  Dont tell me they need 10 milion a year to support a family. 

Maybe it is greediness, but that's the business the NFL is, and fans like us support it everyday. In reality, there's no way 99.9 percent of the Colts roster would turn down a bigger contract somewhere else to stay with the team.

Thats fine to say that. If you want more money to get more stuff thats cool. I was just addressing the statement about supporting your family. Like thats a poor excuse for any athlete to use. That tells me, if you need hundreds of thousands to millions more to support your family, that your wasting it on stuff you dont need and mis-managing your finances.

First off, you realize if a player makes 3 million a year they clear about 1 million. After taxes and the agent is paid.

Second, Do you think a 1500 square foot home is a big house?

If you make 3 million a year and is left with 1 after taxes and agent fees, then you most be signed up with Don King and lets face it, the taxes are not that high. And even if that "horrible" scenario should happen, that you would only be left with 1 million, you could probably get by just fine.

And we're not only talking about players who are in that bracket. We're also talking about players who has to choose between making 10-15 million a year, or scraping by on a deal perhaps 20% lower, at the later part of their carreers, to get the chance to actually win something and not just get paid to play. Some of these players have made 20-30-40 million already, but apparently the money is still the only motivation in your mind? So be it.

No, I don't think that a 1500 square foot home is big. For all I care, triple it - then double it if that helps you get the point. I'm sure you got it in the first place.

I think you're missing a bigger point than money here. It really is about what the wife wants.

Money:

This may be the silliest post I have ever read on so many levels. Lamar will thank you for being his doctor. The name of the game is MONEY. They would like to win a championship but not at the cost of $ they will need in their retirement. Just a silly, crazy post.

The average player has a three year career or less. Then what do you expect them to do? They have to make enough to support that family for the next 50 years or more in about three years. I would take every dollar I could get and so would you.

I never said Denver wasn't a Championship contender, I'm just saying, he had an opportunity to stay with a team that he had been on for 6 years, a team he had competed in 2 Super Bowls with, for only $1 million less per year.

Yes, just let the $1 million per year go. Not!! If they wanted him they should match, they didn't and he moves on where someone will pay him. It is called business. It is a business, not a sport.

Ah, he got to the Super Bowl with the Broncos. He would not have gotten there with New England. So, he got to pocket the money and get to the Super Bowl too. Who wouldn't take that deal. Also, Belichick treated him like crap.

Or Luck could be injured tomorrow and he plays with no QB at all. Take the money. If the teams won't pay, they don't need you badly enough. Where did all of this garbage start about people giving the Colts discounts just for the privilege of playing here. It isn't so, it doesn't happen and it is never going to happen. Follow the money. When Luck's contract is done, they may have to franchise him to keep him if another team offers bigger bucks and he might even move on. Get used to it that is what life is like in the NFL. Do you think Elway might break the bank to sign Luck in a couple of years?

If you make 3 million a year and is left with 1 after taxes and agent fees, then you most be signed up with Don King and lets face it, the taxes are not that high. And even if that "horrible" scenario should happen, that you would only be left with 1 million, you could probably get by just fine.

And we're not only talking about players who are in that bracket. We're also talking about players who has to choose between making 10-15 million a year, or scraping by on a deal perhaps 20% lower, at the later part of their carreers, to get the chance to actually win something and not just get paid to play. Some of these players have made 20-30-40 million already, but apparently the money is still the only motivation in your mind? So be it.

No, I don't think that a 1500 square foot home is big. For all I care, triple it - then double it if that helps you get the point. I'm sure you got it in the first place.

I guess you don't realize the ridiculous tax bracket millionaires fall into Federal alone is about 40% then state and local differ depending on where you live

Or Luck could be injured tomorrow and he plays with no QB at all. Take the money. If the teams won't pay, they don't need you badly enough. Where did all of this garbage start about people giving the Colts discounts just for the privilege of playing here. It isn't so, it doesn't happen and it is never going to happen. Follow the money. When Luck's contract is done, they may have to franchise him to keep him if another team offers bigger bucks and he might even move on. Get used to it that is what life is like in the NFL. Do you think Elway might break the bank to sign Luck in a couple of years?

I think you are missing the entire point.  Playing with a bad QB is bad for your long term future.  

And if we are getting discounts I'm saying they are small, maybe a million APY at most.  Most likely less then that.  

Decker went after the money, you were wrong.