Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D'Qwell Jackson contract details

Superman

This is per Spotrac, which might not have all the details absolutely correct, but assuming they do, this contract is going to work out just fine for the Colts.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/dqwell-jackson/

It's basically one year, $5.5m, guaranteed. Signing bonus of $1m, guaranteed base salary of $4.5m, 2014 cap hit of $4.75m. If he's released after Year 1, we have a cap penalty of $750k in 2015.

Year 2 base salary is $870k, which goes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2015 league year (this is the part that Spotrac has misreported in the past, so we'll see whether this is accurate or not). But there's a roster bonus due in March 2015 of $4.63m, so his total Year 2 pay is $5.5m. (This roster bonus is treated as salary for the purposes of accounting rules, so this contract isn't a violation of the Year 1 to Year 2 salary discrepancy issue that we got hit for on Cherilus' contract last year.) His Year 2 compensation is likely to be paid, and as such, is being reported as guaranteed. But -- assuming these details are correct -- that Year 2 compensation is NOT guaranteed.

Cap hit in 2015 will be $5.75m, and will stay at $5.75m in 2016 and 2017.

So, everybody stop complaining about the value of this contract. If these details are accurate, this is a one year, $5.5m contract, with a $750k discount against the cap in 2014. 

I am now fully on board with this signing. Great job by the Colts management and front office. 

This is per Spotrac, which might not have all the details absolutely correct, but assuming they do, this contract is going to work out just fine for the Colts.

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=4

It's basically one year, $5.5m, guaranteed. Signing bonus of $1m, guaranteed base salary of $4.5m, 2014 cap hit of $4.75m. If he's released after Year 1, we have a cap penalty of $750k in 2015.

Year 2 base salary is $870k, which goes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2015 league year (this is the part that Spotrac has misreported in the past, so we'll see whether this is accurate or not). But there's a roster bonus due in March 2015 of $4.63m, so his total Year 2 pay is $5.5m. (This roster bonus is treated as salary for the purposes of accounting rules, so this contract isn't a violation of the Year 1 to Year 2 salary discrepancy issue that we got hit for on Cherilus' contract last year.) His Year 2 compensation is likely to be paid, and as such, is being reported as guaranteed. But -- assuming these details are correct -- that Year 2 compensation is NOT guaranteed.

So, everybody stop complaining about the value of this contract. If these details are accurate, this is a one year, $5.5m contract, with a $750k discount against the cap in 2014. 

I am now fully on board with this signing. Great job by the Colts management and front office. 

Once I saw the numbers broken down year be year, no reason to complain at all. Pretty good deal if you ask me

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=4

Nice work Superman as always! Great deal for us looking at this.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/06/dqwell-jackson-signs-indianapolis-colts/

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/3/6/5477760/initial-reaction-to-colts-signing-dqwell-jackson-is-not-positive

All these people criticizing the signing were premature, if not dead wrong. This is the problem with the Microwave Media.

Sounds damn close to a 1year deal without much penalty if we cut before the deadline. Nice deal for the colts if he doesn't work out.

That's exactly what it is. Even if the Year 2 base salary of $870k is fully guaranteed, the $4.63m roster bonus is not. If we cut him after Year 1, the dead cap hit would be $1.62m. I can live with that.

According to everything I'm reading that roster bonus in year 2 is fully guaranteed now.  

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Dqwell%20Jackson&Position=ILB&Team=Colts

Sportrac says this "

• 2015 Roster Bonus: $4.63 million (guarantees March 2014)"

March 2014 is today guys.  

That having been said it is still pretty much just a 2 year deal with an option for the 3rd and 4th years.  Cutting him is easy and nearly pain free after year 2. 

Good stuff....Grigs is on his game so far....and plenty of room for OL and secondary....I still save WR for the draft and depth at OL too.  Just my opinion...(OK...BPA)  :)

According to everything I'm reading that roster bonus in year 2 is fully guaranteed now.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Dqwell%20Jackson&Position=ILB&Team=Colts

Sportrac says this "

• 2015 Roster Bonus: $4.63 million (guarantees March 2014)"

March 2014 is today guys.

That having been said it is still pretty much just a 2 year deal with an option for the 3rd and 4th years. Cutting him is easy and nearly pain free after year 2.

Then it's not a roster bonus. That's not how a roster bonus works. I think -- and I could be wrong -- that the roster bonus is being reported as guaranteed because the base salary is guaranteed, but that's not how it goes. The roster bonus is only paid if the player is still on the roster at the date that the bonus is due. That's why it's called a ROSTER bonus.

We'll see as more info comes out, but a roster bonus is not guaranteed until it's due.

I know many are interested in how Jackson's contract breaks down. Basically it is a 12M contract for 2 years. The last two years, the Colts can get out of easily with very little dead money. So it is front loaded, which is great. After 2 yrs, we can assess how much he still has to give. If you want to look at the breakdown over the four years, here is the link:

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Colts

Guys I just posted a topic on this, not seeing you had already looked for the details. From what overthecap shows, it is basically a two year contract. If we release him after first year, we have a dead money cap hit of $5.4M and only save 300K towards the cap. So from what I can see, regardless of roster bonus, it is a 2 year contract basically.

Guys I just posted a topic on this, not seeing you had already looked for the details. From what overthecap shows, it is basically a two year contract. If we release him after first year, we have a dead money cap hit of $5.4M and only save 300K towards the cap. So from what I can see, regardless of roster bonus, it is a 2 year contract basically.

I just merged your post to this thread.

But regarding the topic, I quickly consulted the CBA. Guaranteed roster bonus is treated as signing bonus. Follow the link, if anyone wants to, page 95, paragragh #11: http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf

If a roster bonus, workout bonus, or any other kind of non signing or option bonus is guaranteed on a non-contingent basis (meaning it's not based on a player being on the roster or reporting for camp or anything like that, essentially just guaranteed for injury or skill, or both), it's treated as a signing bonus. 

So if this "roster bonus" is actually guaranteed for injury or skill, and is not contingent on Jackson being on the roster at the beginning of the 2015 league year, then it will be converted into a signing bonus by the league -- either as deferred signing bonus or guaranteed salary advance. Let's see what happens. But you can't guarantee a 2015 roster bonus in 2014. It essentially ceases to be a roster bonus, and will be applied to the cap evenly over the life of the contract, rather than be contained on just the 2015 cap, the way a 2015 roster bonus is supposed to be.

I don't know what the real answer is at this point, but if this roster bonus is essentially guaranteed as of right now, it will impact the way his contract hits the cap now and in future years.

Good Job!

I like how Grigson structured certain contracts in the past (Toler, RJF, Walden), makes it easier for us to get rid of players if they dont pan out. Stamped Blue should take a look at these details, before "bashing" every Grigson-move instantly.

But regarding the topic, I quickly consulted the CBA. Guaranteed roster bonus is treated as signing bonus. Follow the link, if anyone wants to, page 95, paragragh #11: http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf

If a roster bonus, workout bonus, or any other kind of non signing or option bonus is guaranteed on a non-contingent basis (meaning it's not based on a player being on the roster or reporting for camp or anything like that, essentially just guaranteed for injury or skill, or both), it's treated as a signing bonus. 

So if this "roster bonus" is actually guaranteed for injury or skill, and is not contingent on Jackson being on the roster at the beginning of the 2015 league year, then it will be converted into a signing bonus by the league -- either as deferred signing bonus or guaranteed salary advance. Let's see what happens. But you can't guarantee a 2015 roster bonus in 2014. It essentially ceases to be a roster bonus, and will be applied to the cap evenly over the life of the contract, rather than be contained on just the 2015 cap, the way a 2015 roster bonus is supposed to be.

I don't know what the real answer is at this point, but if this roster bonus is essentially guaranteed as of right now, it will impact the way his contract hits the cap now and in future years.

Maybe it's possible that the Colts will be able to book this as salary next year or as a signing bonus. That would make sense as to why they are doing a guaranteed roster bonus , which is as you say "a wait and see" as to how it gets booked . This would really make sense as they have a lot of cap space yet to spend and it would be advantageous to have the choice to spread that 5 mill out over 3 years or just book it all in 2015.

Maybe it's possible that the Colts will be able to book this as salary next year or as a signing bonus. That would make sense as to why they are doing a guaranteed roster bonus , which is as you say "a wait and see" as to how it gets booked . This would really make sense as they have a lot of cap space yet to spend and it would be advantageous to have the choice to spread that 5 mill out over 3 years or just book it all in 2015.

That's usually done the other way around. If they want to convert salary to bonus they can do that at anytime. You don't usually convert bonus to salary, for multiple reasons.

So I think either this will be adjusted at some point soon, like Cherilus' contract was, or the bonus is not guaranteed. The second option makes more sense to me.

That's usually done the other way around. If they want to convert salary to bonus they can do that at anytime. You don't usually convert bonus to salary, for multiple reasons.

So I think either this will be adjusted at some point soon, like Cherilus' contract was, or the bonus is not guaranteed. The second option makes more sense to me.

Yeah , that's true. Much easier to just guarantee it as salary and then restructure as a signing bonus before 2015 season starts. Gives you the same option.

Then it's not a roster bonus. That's not how a roster bonus works. I think -- and I could be wrong -- that the roster bonus is being reported as guaranteed because the base salary is guaranteed, but that's not how it goes. The roster bonus is only paid if the player is still on the roster at the date that the bonus is due. That's why it's called a ROSTER bonus.

We'll see as more info comes out, but a roster bonus is not guaranteed until it's due.

I think they can guarantee anything they want to guarantee.

In terms of cap hit there is no difference between a roster bonus and salary.  The difference is when he gets the checks.  I'm pretty sure it can be guaranteed ahead of time. 

My guess is that they essentially wanted to guarantee 3/4ths of his cap hit the 2nd year.  I'm not sure if they can guarantee a certain percentage of the salary, so what they do is split the 2 and guarantee one but not the other.

I think they can guarantee anything they want to guarantee.

In terms of cap hit there is no difference between a roster bonus and salary. The difference is when he gets the checks. I'm pretty sure it can be guaranteed ahead of time.

My guess is that they essentially wanted to guarantee 3/4ths of his cap hit the 2nd year. I'm not sure if they can guarantee a certain percentage of the salary, so what they do is split the 2 and guarantee one but not the other.

I posted the link to the CBA. They can guarantee anything they want, and they can pay it out on whatever schedule they agree to, but the terms of the CBA determine how it hits the cap. If you guarantee roster bonus in advance, it's treated as signing bonus, and it hits the cap the same way signing bonus does.

They can give a partial guarantee on future salary if they want. They could guarantee however much of his Year 2 salary they want. But they can't call it a roster bonus (or a guaranteed salary advance). That would be really simple to do, and it happens all the time. Guaranteeing future roster bonuses doesnt happen because the CBA stipulates against it. Trying to do so defeats the whole purpose of making it a roster bonus instead of signing bonus or option bonus in the first place.

I posted the link to the CBA. They can guarantee anything they want, and they can pay it out on whatever schedule they agree to, but the terms of the CBA determine how it hits the cap. If you guarantee roster bonus in advance, it's treated as signing bonus, and it hits the cap the same way signing bonus does.

So it's like we gave him a 6 million dollar signing bonus cap wise?  Wouldn't that be bad because if that roster bonus pro-rates then it's a big dead money penalty if we cut him.

Well its quite possible that the bonus is contingent upon him reporting for camp. 

That's a safe deal that's good to the player as well..

From all I read..he's a team leader who rarely gets hurt...this is a better deal every time you think about it

So it's like we gave him a 6 million dollar signing bonus cap wise?  Wouldn't that be bad because if that roster bonus pro-rates then it's a big dead money penalty if we cut him.

It's not necessarily bad, but it would conflict with what they seem to want the contract structure to be.

If you really want to go tumbling down the rabbit hole, check this out: It would actually be even worse, because of the discrepancy between the Year 1 and Year 2 salaries. If that 2015 roster bonus is treated as a signing bonus by the league, then the Year 1 salary would be more than double the Year 2 salary, which is not allowed. Everything over 200% of the Year 2 salary would be treated as signing bonus as well (this is what happened with Cherilus' contract last year). So in addition to the $4.63m roster bonus, $2.76m of the Year 1 salary would be treated as signing bonus as well. The total signing bonus would then be $8.39m, the 2014 cap hit would be $3.84m, Year 2 would be $2.97m. And the cap penalty for releasing him after Year 1 would be $7.16m.

This problem doesn't exist if the roster bonus is treated as normal roster bonus in 2015, because roster bonus is treated as salary for accounting purposes, which you mentioned earlier.

So yeah, the consequences if the roster bonus is treated as signing bonus is definitely not what they were going for with this contract. 

Well its quite possible that the bonus is contingent upon him reporting for camp. 

Reporting for camp when? In 2015? If so, then it's not guaranteed until 2015, which is what I think makes the most sense. Or probably him being on the roster in March of 2015, which is the whole point of a future roster bonus.

If it's contingent on him reporting for camp in 2014 -- which seems like an odd stipulation for a FA contract signed in 2014 -- then it's a guaranteed roster bonus, according to the CBA, and would be treated as signing bonus.

I think more details will come available later on, one way or the other. Or I could be totally wrong. Just seems to me like something is being reported incorrectly.

I was on board with the Jackson signing before all of these numbers. I think it was a great move.

After the numbers, it's even a better deal than I thought. Great move! 

I still would not bind a 'backer' in the draft....

One thing I keep forgetting is Hickman should be back too for us....and he has shown flashes too...McNary....Muamba...the big nasty (Adongo :))

It's not necessarily bad, but it would conflict with what they seem to want the contract structure to be.

If you really want to go tumbling down the rabbit hole, check this out: It would actually be even worse, because of the discrepancy between the Year 1 and Year 2 salaries. If that 2015 roster bonus is treated as a signing bonus by the league, then the Year 1 salary would be more than double the Year 2 salary, which is not allowed. Everything over 200% of the Year 2 salary would be treated as signing bonus as well (this is what happened with Cherilus' contract last year). So in addition to the $4.63m roster bonus, $2.76m of the Year 1 salary would be treated as signing bonus as well. The total signing bonus would then be $8.39m, the 2014 cap hit would be $3.84m, Year 2 would be $2.97m. And the cap penalty for releasing him after Year 1 would be $7.16m.

This problem doesn't exist if the roster bonus is treated as normal roster bonus in 2015, because roster bonus is treated as salary for accounting purposes, which you mentioned earlier.

So yeah, the consequences if the roster bonus is treated as signing bonus is definitely not what they were going for with this contract. 

Reporting for camp when? In 2015? If so, then it's not guaranteed until 2015, which is what I think makes the most sense. Or probably him being on the roster in March of 2015, which is the whole point of a future roster bonus.

If it's contingent on him reporting for camp in 2014 -- which seems like an odd stipulation for a FA contract signed in 2014 -- then it's a guaranteed roster bonus, according to the CBA, and would be treated as signing bonus.

I think more details will come available later on, one way or the other. Or I could be totally wrong. Just seems to me like something is being reported incorrectly.

I'm hoping you are incorrect.  Overthecap.com is based on the dead money reporting the 2015 roster bonus as though it doesn't affect the cap after 2015.  

That of course makes the most sense as I can hardly see Grigson handing a 30 year old player a contract which would involve a pretty significant cap penalty to cut him in year 4 when he's 34 years old.  I would be pretty mad at Grigs if he did that.

Other then that I don't know.  

I'm hoping you are incorrect.  Overthecap.com is based on the dead money reporting the 2015 roster bonus as though it doesn't affect the cap after 2015.  

That of course makes the most sense as I can hardly see Grigson handing a 30 year old player a contract which would involve a pretty significant cap penalty to cut him in year 4 when he's 34 years old.  I would be pretty mad at Grigs if he did that.

Other then that I don't know.  

I'm hoping overthecap.com and Spotrac.com are incorrect about the roster bonus being "guaranteed" as of March 2014. I'm not immune to being wrong, but I think the CBA is pretty clear about this.

It would make perfect sense for the roster bonus to be guaranteed as of March 2015; that's typical for roster bonuses.

We'll see.