Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll -- What Do You Do With The Option In Late Feb?

icf

What do you do in late Feb?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. The "option" portion of Manning's Contract comes around in late Feb and he was never able to practice during the season....do you...

• Decline the option -- freeing up lots of cap space, but allowing Manning to be a FA
    • Exercise the option -- Cap space be darned and hope / pray that Manning can play -- go with D in the draft
    • Exercise the option -- Cap space be darned but go ahead and draft Luck (if he's available) just in case

I think you talk with Peyton in January and work out a deal. According to another thread I read Peyton was the one that wanted that in the contract so the team could get out of it if he isn't healthy. If that is the case I don't think he wants to get paid for sitting in the luxury box. So you opt out of the contract and then sign a new deal that is sructured differently - pays less - more structured around his health - whatever. It might work.

Edited by gspdx

Yeah I was listening to 1070 earlier and noone really seemed confident that Mannings going to come back and play @ a high level. It's basically a coin toss for me 50/50 says manning will either come back for 2-3 solid years max or he will part ways. I went with the pay & draft Luck.

However I do think Mia is going to be just as bad even though they should have 2-3 wins. It's going to be tough for the Colts to get their hands on Luck.

Edited by Malakai432

You sign Peyton and draft Luck. You automatically make us a SB contender for the next couple of years, and then when he retires we have our "Aaron Rodgers" do his thing.

I think saying what you propose "automatically makes us a SB contender for the next couple of years" is a big stretch. Do you think the team, as it is constructed right now, is a Super Bowl quality team?

I think saying what you propose "automatically makes us a SB contender for the next couple of years" is a big stretch. Do you think the team, as it is constructed right now, is a Super Bowl quality team?

Remember that after the draft, we're only going to be better. We're going to get Peyton back, and just getting him back makes us a contender. Then we'll probably get some good CBs in the draft, plus some other good defenive players. Point is, Peyton himself makes us a contender.

Remember that after the draft, we're only going to be better. We're going to get Peyton back, and just getting him back makes us a contender. Then we'll probably get some good CBs in the draft, plus some other good defenive players. Point is, Peyton himself makes us a contender.

Manning makes this team better but a contender? No way.

If you take Luck with the intent of having him sit behind Manning for a few years and then depend on the rest of your draft to fill the myriad of holes on the roster, I don't think they would have done nearly enough.

Armchair GM's / Team Owners --

Late Feb rolls around and Manning has NOT practiced at all in December....the "option date" comes due, what's your decision?!?!

Can't answer that now, if I could, why wait for Feb? When we get to February, if the medical and conditioning staff's evaluations are that he's healing and will regain full capability, then you have to keep the faith. If the evaluations are not positive, I doubt that Peyton will want to return anyway. Can you honestly imagine Peyton wanting to return to the game at anything other than his best?

If you take Luck with the intent of having him sit behind Manning for a few years and then depend on the rest of your draft to fill the myriad of holes on the roster, I don't think they would have done nearly enough.

Edit : This should have been posted as a general reply, rather than a reply to Jskinz, possible even in a different thread, it's not really in context here at all. - Z3

Peyton is a known quantity, Luck is a crapshoot. He's an unknown, you don't kniow if he'll be the next Tim Tebow or the next Peyton Manning. This blind faith in Luck over Manning is very odd to me. You're talking up an rookie of unknown NFL capability over a certain first time ballot hall of fame player. Sorry, I simply do not get how anyone can think like that.

I voted to exercise the option & draft Luck if available, but to make a much more sound decision you would need to know Peyton's health in Feb not now!! Given that I think weather Peyton is healthy or not & you have a shot at a FRANCHISE QB YOU TAKE HIM & let him learn!! Who knows when you get a shot at a guy like that & there are a lot of guys getting valuable experience this year with all the injuries. Obviously the colts are in DESPERATE NEED of some DB's. BIG FAST & WHO LIKE TO HIT! Its amassing how & area of strength has turned into one of are biggest weakness's :yuk:

I think there are some positives from all this crap this year, & Yes with a Healthy Peyton we could be in the conversation as a contender.

If he's healthy you exercise the option and auction off the draft pick stocking the D and the rest of the team.

If he retires, you auction off the draft pick, hire a new coach, and go in an entirely new direction with the team/offense/defense, because drafting Luck would simply be placing him into the same system/structure and that would ask him to be better than Peyton Manning has over the past 13 years and that while Manning has covered up issues for the most part the structure/system hasn't worked for the most part. Expecting Luck to be better than Manning is just too much to ask from him. You blow the whole place up and put in a system that is more QB friendly, and address the QB position later in the draft, via free agency or via a trade, while still using the extra draft picks to help move towards a 3-4, or a different version of the 4-3, and replacing Reggie Wayne who would likely be let go at that point.

Peyton is a known quantity, Luck is a crapshoot. He's an unknown, you don't kniow if he'll be the next Tim Tebow or the next Peyton Manning. This blind faith in Luck over Manning is very odd to me. You're talking up an rookie of unknown NFL capability over a certain first time ballot hall of fame player. Sorry, I simply do not get how anyone can think like that.

I have no idea where this comes from, at least as it relates to the context of the post of mine you answered.

What positions are part of the myriad of holes. Some on the offensive line and secondary for sure but do the Colts need 12 draft picks(5-6 for Luck)?

I think there are some positives from all this crap this year, & Yes with a Healthy Peyton we could be in the conversation as a contender.

While I agree there are positives this year, I completely disagree that Manning makes them good enough to contend. This is a way below average roster in terms of talent, especially on defense. Even with a healthy Manning, they would have loads of trouble stopping the opposing offense via the pass or the run. Their 3rd down defensive conversion rate would still be an issue. Just don't see this team competing to win it all even with a healthy 18.

What positions are part of the myriad of holes. Some on the offensive line and secondary for sure but do the Colts need 12 draft picks(5-6 for Luck)?

In no particular order:

1) Old DE's that will eventually need replaced

2) WR - Wayne is old, Collie looks lost, Garcon is a FA

3) TE - Clark looks to be on the downside and is old by NFL standards

4) C - Saturday is a FA and even if resigned, a replacement is needed

5) G - I like Reitz but one more guard is in order

6) DT's - in perennial need of an upgrade

7) LB - Doubt Brackett is brought back and Angerer is only truly player who may not need to be upgraded

8) Corners - if the Colts don't have the worst set of corners in the league, they are not too far behind

9) S - aside from Bethea, they are in dire need of an upgrade here.

I have no idea where this comes from, at least as it relates to the context of the post of mine you answered.

You mentioned luck in your post, I replied and posted my thoughts on the topic, it wasn't a direct response to your specific point, but a general thought that your post sparked in the context of the many posts in this forum about drafting luck.

And I should have posted in another thread entirely, or at least a general reply instead of responding to a specific post.

You mentioned luck in your post, I replied and posted my thoughts on the topic, it wasn't a direct response to your specific point, but a general thought that your post sparked in the context of the many posts in this forum about drafting luck.

Not sure why you felt it needed clarification.

Because it was completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

One scenario we don't want to think about but simply have to....is Peyton being done, or closer to done than we want.

I'd love 4 more years of the Peyton we know. Right now the reality is that we know nothing....neither does Peyton....and he said so yesterday.

But the OP presented 3 scenarios and I voted for C. The reason I did is because IF Peyton is not able to even practice this season...never mind play in games....then lets not kid ourselves, THAT is not good news. And Peyton did imply yesterday that he and the Colts are in full understanding over his contract buyout and the decision they may have to make if there is that much uncertainty in February.

If that level of uncertainty is indeed the way this plays out.....then we are for all practical purposes in a rebuild mode, but one which can be built upon our last draft, which appears to have been a pretty good one.

SInce our O-line rebuild has already begun with Castonzo and Ijalana, and with Carter showing good promise at RB...it makes sense to me that we draft Andrew Luck if Peyton's medical outcome is such that he can't even practice in the 2011 season....and that the QB position be addressed, along with an OG and a WR in this draft.

At least then we have most of the foundation of the offense addressed....hopefully a more balanced one....and then the defense can be addressed. And yes.....the "trade-down and build the defense" option has merit....but I happen to believe that Andrew Luck will be an excellent NFL QB.

Rebuilds aren't easy....and as we can see, our needs are many.

Because it was completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

Next time I shall make sure to only express an opinion completely aligned with your thoughts when replying to you instead of allowing my little ADD brain to operate at it's tangential best.

Next time I will make sure that I am thinking before posting in between three different things at a busy Friday afternoon at work...My apologies, I was in the wrong here. - Z3

This is hypothetical but, what if the Colts win more games than the Dolphins? What if Manning just can't play another game? What if our QB battle in 2012 is between Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky? I'll wait until January 1st, before I decide what to do as a wannabe Bill Polian.

One thing that is absolutely certain, wannabe Polian or not, is that the choice for 2012 will positively not be Painter or Orlovsky.

They should know a lot more by late December. If Manning still hasn't practiced and still hasn't shown significant arm strength improvements by then his career is probably done. We will all know whether this Colts era of football is over soon enough. If he has shown no improvement at all by the end of this year I think I would be leaning towards declining the option but obviously would consult with as many medical experts as possible to make an informed decision. That salary is obviously a huge handicap to the team every month that Peyton is not on the field.

Yea I mean really, it's easy to forget that since we're the 1st overall pick, that also gives us the 33rd overall pick in the 2nd round, which is only one pick away from the Superbowl winner's first rounder anyways, so our 2nd round pick should be very solid as well.

It's not like we wont be able to shore up our defense after the Luck pick.

Edited by ReMeDy

Yea I mean really, it's easy to forget that since we're the 1st overall pick, that also gives us the 33rd overall pick in the 2nd round, which is only one pick away from the Superbowl winner's first rounder anyways, so our 2nd round pick should be very solid as well.

It's not like we wont be able to shore up our defense after the Luck pick.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but if we end up with 1 & 33, and trade 1 to Miami for 2 & 34 (plus others), 2,33, & 34, is far better than 1 & 33 in my opinion.

That or I could see the date being pushed back or a total renegotiation all together.

yea thats my option also.

People tend to see this as an either or, but teams have a lot more flexibility than what they admit. . The team will play up their lack of flexibility to make other moves if they decide to cut and run.

Edited by GoGoColts