Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colin Kaepernick Looking for $18 million per year(similar to Cutler/Romo)

HtownColt

@ProFootballTalk: Report: Colin Kaepernick looking for $18 million per year http://t.co/LHxU1Ey5I6

Due to earn $973,000 this year, Kaepernick reportedly is looking for $18 million per year as part of a long-term deal, according to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe.

That would put Kaepernick in the same ballpark as Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, and slightly ahead of Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, who averages $17.6 million per year.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will get it, or close to it

I know but its not like he is putting up big numbers, He is doing well no doubt but I'd find it hard to justify 18 mill per on a long term deal through 2 years of serviceable but not great production, Truth is they could probably find a mid round mobile QB that can put up the numbers he does for less given the offense that they run is not predicated on the QB carrying the load

That's most certainly not true.

I didn't pass it off as factual but the type of offense that the 49ers run........alot of what Kaepernick in the shotgun Jordan Lynch did as well, Harbaugh would make sure Jordan Lynch did just fine, Not All Pro by a long shot but h could put up numbers that Kaepernick has

I didn't pass it off as factual but the type of offense that the 49ers run........alot of what Kaepernick in the shotgun Jordan Lynch did as well, Harbaugh would make sure Jordan Lynch did just fine, Not All Pro by a long shot but h could put up numbers that Kaepernick has

I dunno. Kaep carried the niner offense in the post-season this year with his arms and legs.

I would argue that Kaep is the most overrated QB in the game.  His passes are inaccurate, I think he has trouble making reads, and he is bailed out by having a great team around him.  I don't think he's that good of a QB, but people hype him up like he's in the same class as Cam, Russell Wilson, and Luck.  He doesn't deserve $18 mil per year

I dunno. Kaep carried the niner offense in the post-season this year with his arms and legs.

For 3 ints and 3 TD's 54.9 completion % (His highest in the playoffs was 58.3)...1 rushing TD.......He did put up some great games passing this year (Cardinals twice, Rams, Packers)

For 3 ints and 3 TD's 54.9 completion % (His highest in the playoffs was 58.3)...1 rushing TD.......He did put up some great games passing this year (Cardinals twice, Rams, Packers)

What were his rushing yards? I remember him running a lot in the playoffs this year.

18 million must be the number for overpaid garbage qbs who fail

Well, 2 NFCCG in a row and 1 SB appearance, being a key part of it must be a QB who has failed!!! ;)

That is the current market, unfortunately, whether we like it or not.

Luck will hit $20 mil. per year and Irsay will be glad to pay it, mark my words!!!

Packers-7 for 98 yards

Panthers- 8 for 15 yards

Seahawks-11 for 130 yards

Those are some pretty impressive numbers. He really was carrying the team so it seemed offensively in the post-season. The niners basically asked him to do what Luck was asked to do in the post-season - carry the lionshare of the load. I thought he performed really well with the exception of the final two drives vs the Hawks.

I think he's a bit overrated because the team around him.  But you can't really let him walk either, so he'll get around the $18 million. 

This illustrates perfectly why the Colts are one of the lucky teams in this league.  Kaepernick's going to get around $18 million per year, Luck will probably be in the $20 million a year range when he gets a new contract.  The difference in performance between the elite guys and the above average guys is much larger than the difference in price.  I'll gladly pay and extra 2 million a year for an elite guy over a Kaepernick/Romo type player.  I think Kaepernick is a capable QB, but he needs a good team around him to have success.  I can't see paying that much for that type of a player, but the Niners are probably stuck having to pay it.

This illustrates perfectly why the Colts are one of the lucky teams in this league.  Kaepernick's going to get around $18 million per year, Luck will probably be in the $20 million a year range when he gets a new contract.  The difference in performance between the elite guys and the above average guys is much larger than the difference in price.  I'll gladly pay and extra 2 million a year for an elite guy over a Kaepernick/Romo type player.  I think Kaepernick is a capable QB, but he needs a good team around him to have success.  I can't see paying that much for that type of a player, but the Niners are probably stuck having to pay it.

Do you really believe there is that big of a chasm between Luck and Kaep? I agree that Luck is the better QB but I don't see it being worlds of difference and I would not call Luck elite yet.

I was high on Kaepernick coming into the season, but he hasn't earned anything close to 18m. People forget he was mediocre for much of the season. And don't forget the Niners were a bad bounce away from the SB with Alex Smith at the helm.

I think he's a bit overrated because the team around him.  But you can't really let him walk either, so he'll get around the $18 million.

I dunno. Who is going to be the first team to have the balls to not overpay a guy like Kap, Romo, Cutler and let them walk? The key to the 49ers is they have a uber talented roster......not the skills of Kaepernick.

I dunno. Who is going to be the first team to have the balls to not overpay a guy like Kap, Romo, Cutler and let them walk? The key to the 49ers is they have a uber talented roster......not the skills of Kaepernick.

Thing is without Romo...even with his late game blunders....though a bit overdramatized some are....The Cowboys would not have even been in the position to compete. Not excusing that he hasn't gotten the job done in some instances, he clearly hasn't but he is overall a pretty darn good QB that if the Cowboys did not have then they would not have been in position to win to begin with, There was a few games last year they should have won but the defense was no where in sight (Broncos game for example)

I don't entirely disagree with you, but the real issue is what do they do if they let him test FA.  Someone is bound to pay him that - Cleveland and Jacksonville come to mind.  And there is hardly ever a market for QBs in FA.  Vick is probably the best free agent this year.  So I mean, you can try taking a QB in the draft with your first pick this year, but you're really tossing the dice.  Now if Kaepernick had another year on his QB, then I say you're in a nice spot because you can draft a backup (I really like Garropolo) and then make this decision next year.  But as it is now, they have most their key pieces locked up at least through next year and with Kaep, you may be overpaying for him, but you know you've got a chance at a superbowl run the next few years.

Thing is without Romo...even with his late game blunders....though a bit overdramatized some are....The Cowboys would not have even been in the position to compete. Not excusing that he hasn't gotten the job done in some instances, he clearly hasn't but he is overall a pretty darn good QB that if the Cowboys did not have then they would not have been in position to win to begin with, There was a few games last year they should have won but the defense was no where in sight (Broncos game for example)

Yeah, I felt torn on including Romo....I feel he is a very talented QB playing on a horribly run franchise. Replace romo with Flacco if you want....I have never been a big believer in Flacco.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but the real issue is what do they do if they let him test FA.  Someone is bound to pay him that - Cleveland and Jacksonville come to mind.  And there is hardly ever a market for QBs in FA.  Vick is probably the best free agent this year.  So I mean, you can try taking a QB in the draft with your first pick this year, but you're really tossing the dice.  Now if Kaepernick had another year on his QB, then I say you're in a nice spot because you can draft a backup (I really like Garropolo) and then make this decision next year.  But as it is now, they have most their key pieces locked up at least through next year and with Kaep, you may be overpaying for him, but you know you've got a chance at a superbowl run the next few years.

I believe the Niners have a ton of picks again, so just draft Garropolo and let him sit for a year and allow Kap to hit FA next offseason.

And I heard on the radio that Harbaugh spent quite a bit of time with Garropolo at his pro day today lol

I believe the Niners have a ton of picks again, so just draft Garropolo and let him sit for a year and allow Kap to hit FA next offseason.

And I heard on the radio that Harbaugh spent quite a bit of time with Garropolo at his pro day today lol

I do'nt know why I thought Kaep's contract was up this last year and he would need to be signed to a new contract before March 11.  My bad.  In light of this "new" information, I completely agree.  Even if Garropolo needed another year, you could always franchise tag Kaep to buy an extra year if needed.

Do you really believe there is that big of a chasm between Luck and Kaep? I agree that Luck is the better QB but I don't see it being worlds of difference and I would not call Luck elite yet.

I don't think Luck is elite yet either, but he has base skills that Kaepernick is still working on, things that are super important for a franchise QB to have. He's better at going through progressions and making accurate throws from the pocket, while Kaepernick is better moving around and scrambling, and probably has a bigger arm. And Luck has more NFL experience and more experience in a pro-style offense.

I personally think Kaepernick doesn't have enough of a resume to demand $18m/year, not yet. If I were the Niners, I wouldn't sign him for that much right now. He might continue improving and have a great year next year, and then he'll have a little more stature and bargaining power. But right now, he only has 23 starts, and has been a bit inconsistent.

By the time Luck is eligible for free agency, he'll have 48 starts, and hopefully significantly better stats than Kaepernick has right now.

I don't think Luck is elite yet either, but he has base skills that Kaepernick is still working on, things that are super important for a franchise QB to have. He's better at going through progressions and making accurate throws from the pocket, while Kaepernick is better moving around and scrambling, and probably has a bigger arm. And Luck has more NFL experience and more experience in a pro-style offense.

I personally think Kaepernick doesn't have enough of a resume to demand $18m/year, not yet. If I were the Niners, I wouldn't sign him for that much right now. He might continue improving and have a great year next year, and then he'll have a little more stature and bargaining power. But right now, he only has 23 starts, and has been a bit inconsistent.

By the time Luck is eligible for free agency, he'll have 48 starts, and hopefully significantly better stats than Kaepernick has right now.

Agree with pretty much all of this. That being said, not sure how much the niners can really come down from the $18 mil. Kaep has shown he is "the guy" and a franchise QB costs a lot these days. I do think they get a deal done and it will be close to the 18 mil.

Agree with pretty much all of this. That being said, not sure how much the niners can really come down from the $18 mil. Kaep has shown he is "the guy" and a franchise QB costs a lot these days. I do think they get a deal done and it will be close to the 18 mil.

He has?