Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not to get everyone's hopes up..... Jairus Byrd

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's going to Cleveland, IMO, and reunite w/ is DC from last year. Cleveland has to sign a FA S anyway, Ward. May as well spend a bit more and get Byrd.

Don't think there's much of a chance Cleveland signs Ward and Byrd. If they're signing Byrd it probably means they're replacing Ward.

With the way the game is played today, having an impact cover safety makes all the difference.

and by example... the difference said impact cover safety made for the Bills?

I'm not saying he isn't top level talent, but it's not like he single handedly turned the Bills into a playoff team, right? I'd like to see Byrd wearing the horseshoe, but would be far less inclined to oversell the idea myself.

and by example... the difference said impact cover safety made for the Bills?

I'm not saying he isn't top level talent, but it's not like he single handedly turned the Bills into a playoff team, right? I'd like to see Byrd wearing the horseshoe, but would be far less inclined to oversell the idea myself.

Neither there pass rush or Coverage was going to be enough to vault them into the playoffs, its not a scenario of one would have vaulted them into the playoffs if one was better, The Bills had 57 sacks and all kinds of hits on opposing QB's , They also had the 2nd most ints on defense......Get them a legit starting QB and they are in the playoff running, Byrd would have a huge impact here assuming he didn't suddenly leave his skills in Buffalo and part of him having a much bigger impact would be because we have a legit starting QB where as Buffalo has 4 back up QB's on there roster

Neither there pass rush or Coverage was going to be enough to vault them into the playoffs, its not a scenario of one would have vaulted them into the playoffs if one was better, The Bills had 57 sacks and all kinds of hits on opposing QB's , They also had the 2nd most ints on defense......Get them a legit starting QB and they are in the playoff running, Byrd would have a huge impact here assuming he didn't suddenly leave his skills in Buffalo and part of him having a much bigger impact would be because we have a legit starting QB where as Buffalo has 4 back up QB's on there roster

IMO, the right ILB is far more critical and will have a far greater impact on improving the D.

Over on nfl.com they have a story about the top OL fa's. Thry list them all then they have a spot that says match made in heaven. Theyre perfect match is alex mack to the indy colts. So hoe about we take mack. They snatch up byrd then we sign ward. Ward will be cheaper than byrd. We get a huge upgrade at C and Fs. Which is hard for me to say cuz bethea has been my favorite player simce he joined the team

Over on nfl.com they have a story about the top OL fa's. Thry list them all then they have a spot that says match made in heaven. Theyre perfect match is alex mack to the indy colts. So hoe about we take mack. They snatch up byrd then we sign ward. Ward will be cheaper than byrd. We get a huge upgrade at C and Fs. Which is hard for me to say cuz bethea has been my favorite player simce he joined the team

While we're at it why don't we sign Decker, Grimes, and retain Davis since we turned off the salary cap in our Madden franchise...;)

While we're at it why don't we sign Decker, Grimes, and retain Davis since we turned off the salary cap in our Madden franchise...;)

where exactly did i say we should go all madden like? Im pretty sure we can afford both players which would be huge upgrades on both sides. Plus thered be money left for a couple second teir guys

i like Ward...but whats the difference between him and Landry? they both in the box type of safeties

1) Yep because I am sure he listens to the fans on personnel decision

2) Because you want your owner listening to the fans

IMO  Jim Irsay is the #1 fan of the Colts just go back to last years frenzied free agency & all the buzz concerning landing a whopper  it ended up as a megs thread about nothing .

As a fan I'm sure it finds its way into personnel decisions sometimes , 18 did make a considerable chunk while waiting to be cut .

Irsay stated he wanted both 18 & 12 as Colts that was a fan speaking IMO  ,  As a owner he had to face the facts it just was'nt possible ..

IMO, the right ILB is far more critical and will have a far greater impact on improving the D.

I agree 100%. I really do not think a safety(even one as good as Byrd) would make a big impact on our team. We desperately need a true 3-4 ILBer.

That's gonna have to come in the draft cause all the good ones in FA are getting resigned

Probably true, but I really don't want the Colts to spend 10 mil. a yr. for a safety. IMO, that would almost be as dumb as dropping 9-10 mil. a yr. for a receiver.

That's gonna have to come in the draft cause all the good ones in FA are getting resigned

You may well be right.  I haven't really delved into what talent may or may not be available. 

However, I trust most forum members to determine who the "good ones" are about as much as I trust in their ability to evaluate the talents and true values of players like Walden, RJF, Toler, Castanzo, Landry, Bethea, Rogers, Whalen, etc. (which is to say NOT AT ALL).

Probably true, but I really don't want the Colts to spend 10 mil. a yr. for a safety. IMO, that would almost be as dumb as dropping 9-10 mil. a yr. for a receiver.

Idk S is pretty important. right now we have 2 SS that's not good. Byrd also isn't just a S IMO he is a top 3 S and creates turnovers something we could desperately use

Idk S is pretty important. right now we have 2 SS that's not good. Byrd also isn't just a S IMO he is a top 3 S and creates turnovers something we could desperately use

If we had better play from our front 7, the secondary will not be an issue.

You may well be right. I haven't really delved into what talent may or may not be available.

However, I trust most forum members to determine who the "good ones" are about as much as I trust in their ability to evaluate the talents and values of players like Walden, RJF, Toler, Castanzo, Landry, Bethea, etc. (which is to say NOT AT ALL).

I'm not sure who the good ones are I'm no draft expert so ill just trust Grigs choice if we take one

I think it would cause we don't even have a FS both of our S play better in the box

I would say this: if the ILBs were more effective against the run (which is critical in Pagano's 3-4), the safeties wouldn't have to cheat as much as they had to do last year, which would allow them to be more effective at their job.  Is that to say they are without blame?  I wouldn't think so, but if you fix the real problem (ILB, IMO), I suspect everything else will get better too.

Same on the OL.  I said it last year, and I'll say it again:  Fix the center and guard play, and I still suspect AC will start to look like a stud.

If we had better play from our front 7, the secondary will not be an issue.

of course it would be an issue and will be an issue until we get a legit cover safety. another pass rusher who gets a handful sacks or even 2 handfuls and a few pressures wont fix those 500-600 other plays over the course of the season that they dont get pressure or sacks

Great player im just not sure Grigson will pay 10 mil a year for him when Landry is already one of the highest paid safeties. I think will sign Decker as the big free agent and draft a S to replace Bethea.

That would tick me off more then getting no one why waste our money on Decker

of course it would be an issue and will be an issue until we get a legit cover safety. another pass rusher who gets a handful sacks or even 2 handfuls and a few pressures wont fix those 500-600 other plays over the course of the season that they dont get pressure or sacks

Exactly that's our problem neither of our S is a cover FS