Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ron Jaworski: "I wouldn't take Manziel in the first three rounds."

Dustin

ESPN's Ron Jaworski wouldn't draft Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "in the first three rounds."

"I'm not crazy about him, to be honest with you," Jaws said of the potential No. 1 overall pick. "I've only looked at five games. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. That's my opinion. It's incomplete right now. But he has not done a whole lot to me." Jaws is known for his strong — and often accurate — opinions on quarterbacks, but it's surprising he'd go to the extreme of calling Manziel a day-three pick. Manziel has the potential to be one of the most dissected and over-analyzed prospects in draft history.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN's Ron Jaworski wouldn't draft Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "in the first three rounds."

"I'm not crazy about him, to be honest with you," Jaws said of the potential No. 1 overall pick. "I've only looked at five games. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. That's my opinion. It's incomplete right now. But he has not done a whole lot to me." Jaws is known for his strong — and often accurate — opinions on quarterbacks, but it's surprising he'd go to the extreme of calling Manziel a day-three pick. Manziel has the potential to be one of the most dissected and over-analyzed prospects in draft history.

I agree....what JM does wont work in the NFL for very long

I agree with him but my reasoning has a lot to do with his immaturity, not his play on the field. 

What exactly has he done lately to prove he's immature lately? He's had one incident his freshmen year for having a fake ID and trying to break up a fight. Those kind of stories are a dime a dozen at college campuses across this country.

What exactly has he done lately to prove he's immature lately? He's had one incident his freshmen year for having a fake ID and trying to break up a fight. Those kind of stories are a dime a dozen at college campuses across this country.

He was asked to leave the Manning Passing Academy....just last year.

IMO...that says a lot because Peyton and Co. are ALL business when it comes to work ethic and commitment.

Frankly, I'm surprised they invited Johnny Goofball to be a counselor in the first place.

He was asked to leave the Manning Passing Academy....just last year.

IMO...that says a lot because Peyton and Co. are ALL business when it comes to work ethic and commitment.

Frankly, I'm surprised they invited Johnny Goofball to be a counselor in the first place.

Funny, because the night before he had dinner with the Manning's, and after dinner Johnny, AJ and the Manning's all went to the same bar. And you're surprised that the dorkiest QB's in the NFL invited "Johnny Goofball" to their camp? He was the Heisman Trophy winner and will be a top 8 pick this year in the draft.

Funny, because the night before he had dinner with the Manning's, and after dinner Johnny, AJ and the Manning's all went to the same bar. And you're surprised that the dorkiest QB's in the NFL invited "Johnny Goofball" to their camp? He was the Heisman Trophy winner and will be a top 8 pick this year in the draft.

He'll be the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf...if some team is dumb enough to ignore Jaworski's correct assessment. One too many clean shots to that frail body of his and he'll go the way of Robert Griffin III, soon to be the second biggest bust since Ryan Leaf.

The same Jaws that ranked Flacco and Schaub over Luck, Wilson, Rivers, Kaepernick and Stafford? Oh okay. This is just the weekly example of ESPN manufacturing news again.

Rankings aren't the same thing as projections.  When he came out with those rankings, Flacco had just played out of his mind in the playoffs and it was a historical run for him - and that was almost the sole basis for his ranking Flacco where he did.  What I'm trying to say is, rankings are retrospective, what they've done and how what one QB has done compares to what another QB is done.  But you won't find a quote anywhere where Ron says that he would choose Flacco over Luck if he were starting a team.

He'll be the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf...if some team is dumb enough to ignore Jaworski's correct assessment. One too many clean shots to that frail body of his and he'll go the way of Robert Griffin III, soon to be the second biggest bust since Ryan Leaf.

Ryan Leaf: 14 TD, 36 INT, 48.4%, 3,666 YDS, 4-17, QB Rating of 50

Griffin III: 36 TD, 17 INT, 62.7%, 6,403 YDS, 12-16, QB Rating of 91.5

Griffin could never play again and he wouldn't be considered as big of a bust as Leaf. NOT EVEN CLOSE. There would be a lot of people between Leaf and Griffin on the bust list. Heath Shuler is a more accurate of a comparison for Manziel's downside than Leaf is.

Ryan Leaf: 14 TD, 36 INT, 48.4%, 3,666 YDS, 4-17, QB Rating of 50

Griffin III: 36 TD, 17 INT, 62.7%, 6,403 YDS, 12-16, QB Rating of 91.5

Griffin could never play again and he wouldn't be considered as big of a bust as Leaf. NOT EVEN CLOSE. There would be a lot of people between Leaf and Griffin on the bust list. Heath Shuler is a more accurate of a comparison for Manziel's downside than Leaf is.

Yeah, I suppose....and we might as well throw in Jamarcus Russell. I forgot about him.

But a bust is a bust...and that is where I think Manziel is headed.

Griffin got smoked down field by, of all people, Haloti Ngata...in his initial knee injury. And Manziel is neither as "big", fast  or elusive as Griffin....and I think he's gonna get maimed. I'm not wishing on him, I just think its gonna happen.

There's no way I'd select him in the first 2 rounds.

Yeah, I suppose....and we might as well throw in Jamarcus Russell. I forgot about him.

But a bust is a bust...and that is where I think Manziel is headed.

Griffin got smoked down field by, of all people, Haloti Ngata...in his initial knee injury. And Manziel is neither as "big", fast  or elusive as Griffin....and I think he's gonna get maimed. I'm not wishing on him, I just think its gonna happen.

There's no way I'd select him in the first 2 rounds.

A lot of the shots that Griffin has taken were because of a) him refusing to change his playing style and b) the coaches calling designed running plays. If Manziel gets drafted into the right system and plays within the pocket I think he can be successful at the pro level. With Manziel I feel like it's not that people don't think he can be successful, it's that they don't WANT him to be successful.

So not until round 4? That seems harsh. I wouldn't use a 1st on him, and I'm probably one of the few who doesn't really mind his personality. I just think he's too skinny and a lot of his success came on garbage plays that won't succeed long term in the NFL.

Did he say why? Was there any break down of his game? Five games seems like a small sample size to make such a definitive judgment.

ESPN's Ron Jaworski says Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "won't last three games" in the NFL playing the way he did in college.

"He’s a random quarterback who likes to get out of the pocket and make plays with his legs," Jaws said. "In the NFL, he won’t last three games playing that style. He’ll get hurt. He took a lot of vicious hits at A&M in the last two years." This comes after Jaws said he wouldn't take Manziel "in the first three rounds" of May's draft. ESPN's QB guru says Manziel has developed such a habit of leaving the pocket that NFL teams may not be able to coach it out of him. Jaws also cited inconsistent mechanics. Manziel's still going to be an early first-rounder.

The thing that bothers me about people hating Manziel is that it makes no sense. A large majority of it comes from things that were out of his control. If your dad bought you court side seats for Mavericks games and the NBA Finals would you turn them down? If the San Diego Padres ask you to throw out the first pitch would you say no? Getting kicked out of the Manning Academy was his fault, but the coverage of it was completely overblown by ESPN. The World Wide Leader covered his every move extensively this off-season. For some reason people got mad for the way he celebrated TD's on the field. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that he comes from money and he isn't an emotionless robot like everyone wants athletes to be.

The thing that bothers me about people hating Manziel is that it makes no sense. A large majority of it comes from things that were out of his control. If your dad bought you court side seats for Mavericks games and the NBA Finals would you turn them down? If the San Diego Padres ask you to throw out the first pitch would you say no? Getting kicked out of the Manning Academy was his fault, but the coverage of it was completely overblown by ESPN. The World Wide Leader covered his every move extensively this off-season. For some reason people got mad for the way he celebrated TD's on the field. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that he comes from money and he isn't an emotionless robot like everyone wants athletes to be.

I hate on him cause he runs too much is a midget and ontop of being short he is scrawny too he will be murdered in the NFL with that tiny body

Wilson dosent run like he does and has a bigger body too

Don't understand this man crush everyone has on Manziel. Thanks alot ESPN the guy isn't even the 2nd best QB the best is Teddy followed by Bortles

Wilson's last year at NC State he had 143 rushes. Manziel had 144 rushes last year.

Manziel: 5'11 3/4" 207 LBS.

Wilson: 5'11" 203 LBS.

Bridgewater...you've got to be kidding me.

Wilson's last year at NC State he had 143 rushes. Manziel had 144 rushes last year.

Manziel: 5'11 3/4" 207 LBS.

Wilson: 5'11" 203 LBS.

Bridgewater...you've got to be kidding me.

Bridewater is the best only had 3 fumbles bigger more prototypical size for a QB is a pocket passer not a run happy midget

And Wilson plays a way different style then johnny he is a pass first run second type player

Bridewater is the best only had 3 fumbles bigger more prototypical size for a QB is a pocket passer not a run happy midget

And Wilson plays a way different style then johnny he is a pass first run second type player

Bridgewater is skinny. He played in a dink and dunk passing system and he played a relatively weak schedule at UL. I don't see Bridgewater can be a good NFL QB but l don't see him being a great QB.

To me, he seems like a kid who is having fun with everything that is happening to him. Kind of enjoying playing the bad boy role. He'll probably cool it once he gets his teeth kicked in, but I don't see any real social deviance to his personality at this point.

He's a 2nd-3rd round prospect who will get drafted in the 1st round because his ability to create something out of nothing on the field, From a Fiscal standpoint he goes to the Jaguars...Those fans NEED something to cheer about even if its just for a little while , From a QB whos ready now standpoint he is a project but he does have a high sense of pocket awareness which usually makes or breaks a QB quicker then anything else in my opinion, Some get jittery in the pocket and make bad decisions..some are oblivious in pocket and are David Carr like.....Manziel has good awareness in the pocket. I've been saying he can make it in the league if he can keep his head on straight and learns the playbook and how to be a QB that passes BUT has the ability to run, If Im a GM Im not drafting him in the 1st round unless Im looking for another job, He has a high probability of being a GM killer if drafted in the 1st round

Did he say why? Was there any break down of his game? Five games seems like a small sample size to make such a definitive judgment.

I concur with that viewpoint amfootball. 5 games is not a wide enough spectrum of games to foreshadow any college QB's success at the next level. 

Johnny's thin body type makes me wonder if he can withstand NFL punishment over time though. I like Jaws in the sense that he tells you exactly what he's thinking with no PC double speak. It's refreshing actually.