Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nice ILB FA overview from Greg Cosell...Maybe one of these guys is with the Colts soon?

All these draft and FA ILB's have kept me intrigued for a long time.

I've loved Skov ever since the last offseason, but a lot are knocking him for his pass defense deficiencies.

Everyone seems to love Yawin Smallwood, but there are reasons why he's not a first round pick, so he hasn't yet appeared to be as good as everyone's saying.

And then it's almost like the same story for Spikes and Butler, respectively, but are going to be more certain, and certainly more expensive.

Butler had 84 tackles last season, 77 tackles in 2012. 4 PDef & 1 Int in both 2013 and 2012.  Not great for a 3-4 ILB.

Spikes is good against the run, but not so good in coverage. 86 Tackles in 2013, 92 Tackles in 2012. 2 PDef in 2013, 6 PDef in 2012.

Perry Riley had 115 Tackles in 2013, 129 Tackles in 2012. 3 Sacks in 2013, 3.5 Sacks in 2012. 8 PDef in 2013, 7 PDef in 2012.

Other ILB in FA have better numbers, Karlos Dansby and Daryl Smith for example. Both are on the wrong side of 30 though.

When age and stats are factored together I think Perry Riley would be the Best option for an ILB in FA.

Dansby or Smith are our best options. Their over 30, yeah, but we should sign one of them short term. They are both good against the run and in coverage. Each had 19 PD'S last season. Spikes is a beast against the run, and Riley struggles against the run. Butler is good, but is too expensive.

Dansby or Smith are our best options. Their over 30, yeah, but we should sign one of them short term. They are both good against the run and in coverage. Each had 19 PD'S last season. Spikes is a beast against the run, and Riley struggles against the run. Butler is good, but is too expensive.

Both talented but they'd just be stop gap. I don't want to go into next year and having to pay not only our rookies like Luck, Fleener, and Hilton in addition to all these other stop gap guys like Landry, Toler, RJF,etc...Free is the way to go. Draft. Once we have a young team on both sides of the ball, then we can start bringing in stop gap guys.

It was cool when we lost most of our roster and Grigson brought these guys in so we could have a somewhat competitive team. Now its time to start building though. We can't sign LB's who aren't going to be there in 3 years. We need young guys who can be team leaders for 5+ years.

All these draft and FA ILB's have kept me intrigued for a long time.

Everyone seems to love Yawin Smallwood, but there are reasons why he's not a first round pick, so he hasn't yet appeared to be as good as everyone's saying.

Probably why he's a target for the Colts in the 2nd round.

You have to factor in that Freeman is going to want to get paid big bucks after this coming year. If we want to wrap him up long term we not throw money at a FA ILB this year. More than likely we would roll with McNary and Muamba and probably draft someone too.

I think we'll be able to bring back Freeman as an RFA for 2015...meaning he'll be 30 going into his UFA year.  We won't have too much trouble retaining him on a modest second contract when you look at the circumstances.  Freeman will make some cash if he stays healthy, but being a late bloomer will cost him millions.

Brandon Spikes is also intriguing, He could be a great run defender and We can pay off his lack of pass coverage with Freeman. And take him Spikes off on third down for McNary/Mumba. Could be a cheaper option.

Except many teams now pass on first and second down.

Brandon Spikes is also intriguing, He could be a great run defender and We can pay off his lack of pass coverage with Freeman. And take him Spikes off on third down for McNary/Mumba. Could be a cheaper option.

Except that Freeman is just as bad in coverage as Spikes is.

I wouldn't mind seeing Desmond Bishop brought in on a vet minimum deal. He's been hurt the last couple years, but before that he graded out very highly in Green Bay. I doubt he's retained in Minnesota so we might as well give him a shot to get healthy and prove himself. For me it comes down to him or Dansby.