Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cleveland Browns have the potential to be SCARY good Super Bowl contender NEXT year..

jshipp23

Let me start by saying they might not even need a QB! Went and looked at Brian Hoyer and he is very very good as he proved last year with Gordon, Jordan and nothing else...They already have a top 10 defense and the cap room to add another CB to go along with Hayden which could make them a Top 5 defense ..They have several ways they could go all of which could work...

SCENARIO 1 "ALL IN"

RESIGN :

ALEX MACK C, 5 YR 40 MILL

T.J WARD -S, 5 YR 35 MILL

FREE AGENCY:

BRENT GRIMES CB 4 YR 28 MILL

JAIRUS BYRD S 5 YEAR 45 MILL

RICHIE INCOGNITO. 1 YR 1.5 MILL

TRADE:

Second 1 1st rounder and 5th to Minnesota for Adrian Peterson ....

TRADE 3rd round pick for Kirk Cousins...

DRAFT

1st round #4, Sammy Watkins WR Georgia

2nd round, Mike Evans WR, Texas A &M or Allen Robinson WR

4th, 6th , 7th add TE, LB, DL depth...

Scenario 2

Resign MACK, or get De LaPuente..

FREE AGENCY

Eric Decker WR 5 YR 40 Mill

JAIRUS BYRD 5 YR 45 MILL

BRENT GRIMES 4 YEAR 28 MILL

RILEY COOPER 4 YEAR 18 MILL

TRADE:

2ND RD PICK to Oakland for Darren McFadden ..

DRAFT

RD1 PICK #4- MANZIEL OR BORTLES let them backup Hoyer for a year and then start or trade for a high first in a few years..

1st round pick 24?- Mathews LT A&M move to RT..

3rd Rd- Jean-Baptiste CB

Rounds 4-7 BPA

The scary thing is they have the cap room to pull either scenario off....Thoughts or opinions or other scenarios? It's Cleveland so they'll probably find a way to screw it up sadly...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirk Cousins as a backup isn't a bad idea. I think giving a 2nd rounder for him is too much though. 

1. Grimes will get Franchise tagged at worst, probably re-signed.
  2. Hard to imagine having $100 million locked up in two safeties. 
  3. Could you imagine the fallout around here if we traded the Colts pick for Adrian Peterson? lmao but never going to happen. 
  4. Isn't McFadden a free agent?
  5. Decker could be an option if we over pay for him, but tough to see him wanting to come here. 
  6. I would love to sign Incognito, Proven, veteran guard with something to prove. Yes please, Joe Thomas could keep that guy in line.

We do have options, no doubt, but I doubt highly that new GM Ray Farmer is about to go hog wild on free agency in his first year. It's fun to do these type of exercises but they are typically futile. 

Let me start by saying they might not even need a QB! Went and looked at Brian Hoyer and he is very very good as he proved last year with Gordon, Jordan and nothing else...They already have a top 10 defense and the cap room to add another CB to go along with Hayden which could make them a Top 5 defense ..They have several ways they could go all of which could work...

SCENARIO 1 "ALL IN"

RESIGN :

ALEX MACK C, 5 YR 40 MILL

T.J WARD -S, 5 YR 35 MILL

FREE AGENCY:

BRENT GRIMES CB 4 YR 28 MILL

JAIRUS BYRD S 5 YEAR 45 MILL

RICHIE INCOGNITO. 1 YR 1.5 MILL

TRADE:

Second 1 1st rounder and 5th to Minnesota for Adrian Peterson ....

TRADE 3rd round pick for Kirk Cousins...

DRAFT

1st round #4, Sammy Watkins WR Georgia

2nd round, Mike Evans WR, Texas A &M or Allen Robinson WR

4th, 6th , 7th add TE, LB, DL depth...

Scenario 2

Resign MACK, or get De LaPuente..

FREE AGENCY

Eric Decker WR 5 YR 40 Mill

JAIRUS BYRD 5 YR 45 MILL

BRENT GRIMES 4 YEAR 28 MILL

RILEY COOPER 4 YEAR 18 MILL

TRADE:

2ND RD PICK to Oakland for Darren McFadden ..

DRAFT

RD1 PICK #4- MANZIEL OR BORTLES let them backup Hoyer for a year and then start or trade for a high first in a few years..

1st round pick 24?- Mathews LT A&M move to RT..

3rd Rd- Jean-Baptiste CB

Rounds 4-7 BPA

The scary thing is they have the cap room to pull either scenario off....Thoughts or opinions or other scenarios? It's Cleveland so they'll probably find a way to screw it up sadly...

With their cap space, why not? All those moves make sense....in theory.

Unfortunately, its the Cleveland Browns...which means they'd somehow figure out a way to wind up the greatest and most dominating 4-12 team in NFL history. :facepalm:

trade a 1st and a 5th for Adrian Peterson?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

so you think AP's value is only a 5th round pick more than Trent Richardson's was?

what are you smoking?  They would have to trade 3 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks for AP.

2nd option seems a bit more likely BUT I would just draft a RB in the 2nd rather than trade it for McFadden.

They also would not draft a QB, with the 4th overall pick, and make him backup ANYONE.  When you pick a QB that high, you play him week 1.

Didn't realize McFadden was free agent that's even better for scenario 2...I said a 3rd for cousins..Peterson trade still isn't as unlikely as you may think given his age and cap hit Browns r 1 of few teams that could pull that off..Browns have to get a difference maker at RB via free agency trade or draft, draft may be best option but I haven't really looked into RBs this year..Yes, Byrd and Ward would be expensive but worth it IMO especially with Hayden and another solid 2..I really like the Browns front 7 , I think Mingo is gonna breakout this year..If Grimes is franchised they can go for a Sam Shields, Charles Tillman, or Jerraud Powers type and still be great...Bottom line is it's right there if they don't screw up...They will probably trade there 24th to move up ti #1 draft Manziel and lose Mack and Ward in free agency, fail to put any weapons around Manziel and get him killed just like Tim Couch...Then proceed to draft positions they don't need, and Gordon will smoke weed and be suspended for the year...3-13 season they way there track record is..I not because they really do have the most loyal fans in the NFL...

Adrian Peterson is getting old has had ACL surgery and has a huge cap number! Minnesota is in full rebuild mode..No one would give 3 1st rd picks for him and few can afford him...1st and 2nd is the most they'd get and I wouldn't do that..That's the all in scenario anyways ..Better off signing McFadden or drafting a RB in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, but they need an impact RB somehow ..

Trading Peterson for a first and a fifth isn't that far off IMO.  RBs tend to fall off quickly at about AP's age.  Trading/signing Mcfadden is just crazy.  The guy's never been able to stay healthy and never will.  Getting Cousins for a 3rd is probably not going to happen.  Signing Incognito is just lol.

I agree with the OP that the Browns will probably be great next year and could be in the Super Bowl. Of course those of us having that sincere belief also believe Earth will destroyed by a huge asteroid sometime in 2015, hopefully after the Super Bowl.

You realize Incognito was a pro bowl guard in 2012, will come cheap and be on his best behavior? Low risk , high reward...I hope Colts sign him! In a strong locker room he won't be a problem ...I'd bet $$ Belichik will grab him though ..

You can't say Incognito, low risk, and best behavior in the same sentence. lol

You realize Incognito was a pro bowl guard in 2012, will come cheap and be on his best behavior? Low risk , high reward...I hope Colts sign him! In a strong locker room he won't be a problem ...I'd bet $$ Belichik will grab him though ..

The Pats have one of the best O-lines in the league, they don't really need him. Would not be surprised to see them sign him anyway just to make sure he doesn't go to another division rival, Bill Belli is famous for moves like that. 

Cousins has more potential then Hoyer IMO if he had caneron and Gordon and the browns line he would be alot better then he showed

What are you basing this off? Explain why you think Cousins has more potential.

The reason I ask if that I do not agree. I think Cousins ceiling and Hoyers ceiling are about the same and Hoyer is closer to his right now.

What are you basing this off? Explain why you think Cousins has more potential.

The reason I ask if that I do not agree. I think Cousins ceiling and Hoyers ceiling are about the same and Hoyer is closer to his right now.

They both were good I'm a MSU fan. Just always liked Kirk's potential more he showed good flashes with a garbage skins team. I feel with the weapons Cleveland has and his former OC he could really blossom

Another viable option would be to trade Hoyer for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, draft you're QB be it Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater, or Carr...Then bring in a solid veteran backup like McCown or Sanchez...Yes, I said Sanchez, I think he still would be a good backup with weapons and that defense he proved it in New York going to 2 title games despite the "buttfumble"..

Talent wise with there cap and all those picks they aren't very far A.M...Argueably more talent then any team not named a Indy, NE, or Denver especially if they make the right moves they are for sure in the playoff conversation, maybe not super bowl contenders yet..

Talent wise with there cap and all those picks they aren't very far A.M...Argueably more talent then any team not named a Indy, NE, or Denver especially if they make the right moves they are for sure in the playoff conversation, maybe not super bowl contenders yet..

They would be the least talented team in the NFC west. They are currently in a state of turmoil.

A lot of division winners in the NFL could finish last in NFC West...That's a brilliant assessment ...smh..Right now they have a top 10 defense, great offensive line, best receiver in football, and a good young TE and I think Pettine is going to be a good coach especially for that defense...They are a RB, WR, backup QB from being very good next year and they have the $$$$ and draft picks to do much more than that....This DUDE..smh

It's nice to say and the Browns are certainly due. But what team CAN'T this be said of? Any team that gets all of it's offseason right and gets a little luck has the potential.

As AM points out, hard to bet on a team to get it all right when they've already had so many front office missteps.