Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy Star: Richardson Deal forces Colts to Re-Evaluate Draft Talent

They basically talk about how the Colts are in a hole without their first round pick, which is a pretty obvious statement. But they go on to list the needs, and 2 players we should target. It's interesting to see a few of the names that people around here like though.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/02/14/richardson-deal-forces-colts-to-reassess-draft-talent/5496557/

Let the Keith McGill hype train begin :disco: But I just want to see him make some big hits just so we can call him Keith "McKILL". Also the idea of Allen Robinson falling is a real possibility. How would you guys feel about him?

They basically talk about how the Colts are in a hole without their first round pick, which is a pretty obvious statement. But they go on to list the needs, and 2 players we should target. It's interesting to see a few of the names that people around here like though.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/02/14/richardson-deal-forces-colts-to-reassess-draft-talent/5496557/

Let the Keith McGill hype train begin :disco: But I just want to see him make some big hits just so we can call him Keith "McKILL". Also the idea of Allen Robinson falling is a real possibility. How would you guys feel about him?

How could anyone have possibly anticipated a problem like this when we traded our 1st round pick for an over rated RB.

Kind of dumb, how many olbers do we freaking need? It doesn't even mention safety with bethea situation or ilb or d line. We should build our d through draft and fill the couple holes on offense with free agents, since chucks specialty is getting the most out of defenders

Maybe

2nd skov

3 Dion Bailey

5 Coleman/baptiste/McGill hopefully one of me is there still

6 boa

7 bpa

Then sign that center from Detroit to give Holmes someone to help his development or in case he's not ready, short deal

And sign Hakeem nicks or another receiver to a modest "prove it" deal

Arthur jones

We'd be set

i would love if we start our own leagin of boom, with Keith McGill  ,and Stanley jean Baptiste

Ithat would be awesome in new to scouting players and probably suck, but I like skov he's tough and nasty and wraps up, good at run support which is exactly what we need

I did hear that McGill is good in press and baptiste not so much so McGill prolly fits our scheme better

I'd. Take McGill in the 2nd but we need bailey to fill our safety need so I chanced him falling to fifth but that probably won't happen because it seems his stock is rising

FYV5k44.jpg

And it will continue to be beat; it drives me insane we don't have a 1st round pick ... every time I see an article about what we need or see the players we are potentially missing out on it brings back bad memories, and I go back and take my frustrations out on the horse carcass :deadhorse:

And it will continue to be beat; it drives me insane we don't have a 1st round pick ... every time I see an article about what we need or see the players we are potentially missing out on it brings back bad memories, and I go back and take my frustrations out on the horse carcass :deadhorse:

It does too. A lot of times I'll look at a mock draft and skip right to the second round because I don't want to be slapped in the face with the truth. I hope Grigson makes up for it with an amazing draft though. He'll probably have to break a little bank in terms of draft picks to really get the players this team needs. I think are 7th and 6th round picks could be gone. We'll end up taking 5 total players from rounds 2-5. But maybe they'll be 5 really good players. I would consider it water under the bridge if we came out with McGill, Robinson, De'Anthony Thomas, Coleman, and a WR like Allen or Moncrief. Doesn't have to be those EXACT players but close to that

Kind of dumb, how many olbers do we freaking need? It doesn't even mention safety with bethea situation or ilb or d line. We should build our d through draft and fill the couple holes on offense with free agents, since chucks specialty is getting the most out of defenders

Maybe

2nd skov

3 Dion Bailey

5 Coleman/baptiste/McGill hopefully one of me is there still

6 boa

7 bpa

Then sign that center from Detroit to give Holmes someone to help his development or in case he's not ready, short deal

And sign Hakeem nicks or another receiver to a modest "prove it" deal

Arthur jones

We'd be set

Considering the aging Mathis is the best OLB by far and the only real pass rushing threat at this point, OLB is a need.

Considering the aging Mathis is the best OLB by far and the only real pass rushing threat at this point, OLB is a need.

Yes it is but it is a need that might already be filled seeing as how we invested a first round pick in a collegiate pass rusher

I'd rather fill needs that are pressing right now than fill needs that are going to be pressing in a few years that also have a good chance of not even being needs and just ignore the gaping holes we have currently.

Corner is the Colts #1 need? Good god

This is why I don't even waste my time reading Indystar sports article's. Mike Chappell(who is supposedly the Colts beat reporter and an insider) is completely clueless to what the Colts needs are. I heard him say the other day that he was a big fan of offense and the Colts #1 need was WR. He sounds like a typical fan that must frequent this forum. I know Chappell didn't write this but it just goes to show that none of them with Indystar know anything.

This might seem to be an odd position to bolster for the Colts, who finished ninth in points allowed last year and have Robert Mathis – who led the league with 19.5 sacks – locked up. But Mathis will be 33 in February and had little help, with Jerrell Freeman following way behind Mathis with 5.5 sacks. The Colts used their 2013 first-round pick on Bjoern Werner, but he had little impact and needs time to develop. Indianapolis cannot continue to depend on Mathis to be the sole disruptor on the front line

You are absolutely right on that regard. That quote is straight from the article and it's probably the most important thing they said. Just like an offense needs weapons, so does the defensive line. I don't think it necessarily needs to be an OLB but someone who can get pressure. Even if it's a 3-4 DE. We need something else besides just Mathis. All teams are going to do is double team his all day.

Yes it is but it is a need that might already be filled seeing as how we invested a first round pick in a collegiate pass rusher

I'd rather fill needs that are pressing right now than fill needs that are going to be pressing in a few years that also have a good chance of not even being needs and just ignore the gaping holes we have currently.

Then we potentially two very good OLB who can rush the passer and getting pressure is paramount to any defense. Let's face it, if Mathis misses any time this defense is screwed. Plus, Walden can be let go after next season with no penalty if he isn't needed.

This is why I don't even waste my time reading Indystar sports article's. Mike Chappell(who is supposedly the Colts beat reporter and an insider) is completely clueless to what the Colts needs are. I heard him say the other day that he was a big fan of offense and the Colts #1 need was WR. He sounds like a typical fan that must frequent this forum. I know Chappell didn't write this but it just goes to show that none of them with Indystar know anything.

I too heard Chappell say that....I just rolled my eyes. Two years ago he was beating the drum for the Colts to keep Addai and Bracket lol.

Not to mention getting pressure on the QB makes it that much easier on the secondary. It's actually smart to re-up now so that when it comes time for Mathis and Robert to leave, we're not scrambling around thinking "OMG what are we going to do". Draft tip #134 Draft for the Future

I was legit I wouldn't change McGill to S I'd draft one or the other to play with Davis and Butler

If he FAILS as a CB, then he could convert to safety. Or better yet, let McGill play a few snaps at Safety. Grigson loves versalitiy. They both need some polishing though. SBJ is the better tackler though.

If he FAILS as a CB, then he could convert to safety. Or better yet, let McGill play a few snaps at Safety. Grigson loves versalitiy. They both need some polishing though. SBJ is the better tackler though.

I wanna sign Byrd then draft a CB to replace Toler

But ik it won't happen I don't think the colts ever want a real ball hawk S

How dare the writer of this joke piece of journalism describe the Trent trade as a disaster? I know from reading this board that Trent is just a slow learner. It's not like he's a Stanford grad. It will take him a couple years to learn the plays and then watch out.

I wanna sign Byrd then draft a CB to replace Toler

But ik it won't happen I don't think the colts ever want a real ball hawk S

Why wouldn't the Colts want a ball hawking safety? I doubt Pagano complained about Ed Reed all that time in Baltimore

How dare the writer of this joke piece of journalism describe the Trent trade as a disaster? I know from reading this board that Trent is just a slow learner. It's not like he's a Stanford grad. It will take him a couple years to learn the plays and then watch out.

Oh man, if Chud throws in some wrinkles it will take Trent another half season to pick it up. Poor guy

I addressed that up above

You can only play so many olbers at a time and when we rush 4 Mathis has his hand in the dirt and our ilbers cover the other sam isn't always going to rush so what good is it going to be to have a really good backup to Mathis if he can't rush at the same time? There's. Lot of other positions that need filled. We need some dlinemen that can rush and make plays in the run

Not to mention a safety, center, maybe cb because tolers injury history, and replacements for redding who is gonna be gone faster than Mathis

I just don't see why we should waste picks or money on a position where we have one of the best in the game, and the year before drafted one of the best in the game at pass rushing but has a learning curve because of new position. Seems like overkill that's like if we drafted Another top tackle because "you can never have enough play makers in the trenches" seems like a waste

Not sure why you felt the need to rip the Indy Star....

It's not an Indy Star story.    It's from USA Today.

That said,  I was completely unimpressed with the quality of the story....

Not only did I not agree with the conclusion of the needs for the Colts,  I thought many of the players picked for the positions were simply ridiculous.

For example....     running back.   Tyler Gaffney from Stanford and DeAnthony Thomas from Oregon.

I like them both.   Gaffney as maybe a 6th or 7th round guy.   Thomas as no more than a 3rd round guy, but not for the Colts.  We have other far more pressing needs than using our 3rd round pick on a situational player. 

Ridiculous.

I'd put almost no stock in the story.........

Just my two cents....    and sometimes,  it's not even worth that much!     :thmup:

You can only play so many olbers at a time and when we rush 4 Mathis has his hand in the dirt and our ilbers cover the other sam isn't always going to rush so what good is it going to be to have a really good backup to Mathis if he can't rush at the same time? There's. Lot of other positions that need filled. We need some dlinemen that can rush and make plays in the run

Not to mention a safety, center, maybe cb because tolers injury history, and replacements for redding who is gonna be gone faster than Mathis

I just don't see why we should waste picks or money on a position where we have one of the best in the game, and the year before drafted one of the best in the game at pass rushing but has a learning curve because of new position. Seems like overkill that's like if we drafted Another top tackle because "you can never have enough play makers in the trenches" seems like a waste

I still like Werner, but his pass rush showed little even when his hand was in the dirt. Walden offers little in rushing the passer and Mathis is 33.....,sorry, but I'm not comfortable with that situation. With FA and the draft the colts can address DL, FS, C, ILB and OLB so I don't know what the problem is.

Walden rushed the passer 75% of the time on passing plays last season. We need a guy who can rush from the Sam LB spot as well. Ideally you'd grab a guy like Brian Orakpo who can do both, but I don't see us spending much on another OLB with Walden and Werner on the roster. So we're stuck with Walden for another season at least and hope in the meantime that Werner has gained some strength and learned some pass rush moves.

Having more than one pass rusher would cause more interceptions than a new safety

There can only be one rush backer on the field in our scheme so it's irrelevant unless the Sam has a designed blitz so how are we creating more pass rush? That's like saying we need another qb because he will score more tds causing us to win games. It doesn't matter if there's only one on the field. If we have a rush backer he has to take Mathis spot on the field so no thank u. Now if the pass rusherer in question doesn't play the will olber position (a de or TNT or dt that can rush) or a ilber with rushing capability yeah that's great it creates more pass rush, but to just get another will to rush is pointless when we have way more pressing holes to fill than Mathiss backups backup in the draft and fa

Walden rushed the passer 75% of the time on passing plays last season. We need a guy who can rush from the Sam LB spot as well. Ideally you'd grab a guy like Brian Orakpo who can do both, but I don't see us spending much on another OLB with Walden and Werner on the roster. So we're stuck with Walden for another season at least and hope in the meantime that Werner has gained some strength and learned some pass rush moves.

I think that's just passing downs he was in not total passing downs and yeah he probably did but usually in passing downs we aren't going to have 4 lbers up right one usually iouts his hand in the ground. When we play nickel who is our other upright lber besides freeman?

At least on obvious 3rd and long passing downs is what I mean by passing downs