Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Need to Make the Next Three Years Count

Beauregarde

Well, Flacco's agent had 5 consecutive playoff appearances and a SB in the resume before making it rain. Luck should be able to get Flacco money easily and if there is a SB appearance in there, yeah, it could exceed Flacco in a couple of years.

This is also the reason I want them to extend T.Y.Hilton as early as after next year (after year 3) instead of waiting for him to get done with his contract and year 4. A pre-emptive extension of 4 yrs. $25 mil. would be good value down the road if done after year 3.

Luck, we can wait till after year 4. Same for all others drafted along with Luck. T.Y. is the only one we should pre-emptively extend after year 3, IMO.

Care to explain? I Like Luck, and see the potential, but I haven't seen a 20 mill demand YET. Peyton's 1st contract (re-signing) with colts was between around 14 mill a year, right? Again, I said I've been wrong about making that assumption about a player before.

Yea around 2002 it might have been 14 million, don't know exact numbers.  I hope they can keep it down around 17-18 million per year but thats a stretch.

Some people are forgetting an obvious point.  Luck will get paid his value, he is not going to take a discount because he doesn't seem like the type of guy who wants what he has earned.  That being said, people are assuming he is going to be paid like a top 5 QB and IMO he has to play like a top 5 QB to be paid like one.  We have seen flashes and all indicators point to him being in that conversation when it's time to talk a new contract but he is not there yet and it's not a sure thing.  What I would not want the Colts to do is pay Luck like a top 5 QB if his play puts him in the Top 5-10 range.

While Russel and Collin have been graced with very very talented well coached teams in their NFL infancy. Before they got there, those teams were already a QB away from a Superbowl. However, I do feel Russel has done more for his team than Kaep. Luck carried us last year, and was a huge reason we finished the season the way he did. He is gonna make bank when his contract is up, but if he wants to win he's gonna have to sacrifice some. This is where you separate the Revis's from the Ray Lewis's, guys who will take that cut- to give their team a chance.

Joe Flacco shown us what can happen once a QB demands that big time money, I don't think Luck would cripple a team that badly.

While Russel and Collin have been graced with very very talented well coached teams in their NFL infancy. Before they got there, those teams were already a QB away from a Superbowl. However, I do feel Russel has done more for his team than Kaep. Luck carried us last year, and was a huge reason we finished the season the way he did. He is gonna make bank when his contract is up, but if he wants to win he's gonna have to sacrifice some. This is where you separate the Revis's from the Ray Lewis's, guys who will take that cut- to give their team a chance.

Joe Flacco shown us what can happen once a QB demands that big time money, I don't think Luck would cripple a team that badly.

When did Ray Lewis take less to give his team a chance?

I thought he did that later in his career, no?

A lot of older players will suck money from teams- even when they aren't what they used to be.

I thought I remember reading Ray took pay cuts, but it was a home grown article so who knows.

His last contract was signed when he was 33 or 34, and it was seven years, $44.5m. His previous contract was seven years, $50m. I don't think that's "taking less to help your team."

He never made a big deal about getting more money, or trying to be the highest paid at his position, or anything like that, so he's not Darrelle Revis. But I'm not sure he ever gave anyone a hometown discount.

The Colts need to try and win a championship while Luck is on his rookie contract. It will be very difficult to build a Super Bowl team around him when he cashes in for $20 million per season. Seattle did this with Wilson and San Francisco got to the Super Bowl with Kapernick last year and the Ravens did the same with Flacco. This is going to be the new NFL trend in my opinion as a result of the last Collective Bargaining Agreement. When you start paying the franchise QB the big money, you will probably be in the playoffs most years but will only make a Super Bowl run every five years or so. I also believe we will see some franchise QBs traded or cut so that teams can rebuild with a QB on his rookie contract. What do you all think about this?

You make a good point Beau..about the $20 mil deal

../but guys like Luck aren't going anywhere because you need a lot of 'luck' to win without a guy like that...

It would be self-defeating to trade a top QB after 5 years in the hopes of saving money and finding another one. 

His ability would prevent you from drafting high..enough to replace him..

You make a good point Beau..about the $20 mil deal

../but guys like Luck aren't going anywhere because you need a lot of 'luck' to win without a guy like that...

It would be self-defeating to trade a top QB after 5 years in the hopes of saving money and finding another one. 

His ability would prevent you from drafting high..enough to replace him..

You may be right. I could see some teams with mature QBs who don't have enough around him to win a Super Bowl trade him for a boatload of draft picks to rebuild and pick up a promising QB to develop and take advantage of that rookie pay scale. That rookie pay scale is shortening the length of many players careers and it is forcing other vets to take less money than they would have commanded a few years ago. Teams would rather draft players and pay them on their rookie contracts than bring in a veteran. That is what I see happening.

You guys are ... Way off. The union won't let him take a deal like that. He may not be the highest paid player, but he'll be top 5.

Then they'll rework his contract like they do for every other high paid player, and treat him like a bank.

The NFL is a business. Every employee wants their salary to go up.

Nor will his agent.  Is it still his Uncle, from the Wasserman Media Group?  Still an NFLPA adviser? 

You may be right. I could see some teams with mature QBs who don't have enough around him to win a Super Bowl trade him for a boatload of draft picks to rebuild and pick up a promising QB to develop and take advantage of that rookie pay scale. That rookie pay scale is shortening the length of many players careers and it is forcing other vets to take less money than they would have commanded a few years ago. Teams would rather draft players and pay them on their rookie contracts than bring in a veteran. That is what I see happening.

Until recently, it seemed you needed one of the better QB's in the league to win a SB.  Sure, a Dilfer type game manager would win once in a decade but there always exceptions to the rule.  Now?  Wilson and Kaep are taking teams to the Lombardi, and we're not sure what kind of long term prospects they will have; notably when their rookie contract expires.  It will be interesting to watch.  But I know that even with all of the crying about the D being crippled, that Elite QB sells jerseys and puts butts in the stadium.  It appears foolhardy to toss that t the curb hoping you can replace hime with someone almost as good at 3-5x less cost.  Many teams go decades trying to replace their last good QB.  

But it makes more sense to me to sell jerseys, put fans in the stadium, and try to find pieces that fit around the elite QB you already have to get that ring.  The Pats had a lot of guys giving up just a little (read, not demanding the absolute most they could get from their next contracts)  to keep the key components of their team together.  No one guy sacrificed a boatload to do it.  That is what a seasoned and vet team will do to keep that winning core together.  I hope the Colts emerging stars can do something similar in due time. Get paid a fair amount, yet still able to make it work to keep crucial core intact.  then draft well and take advantage on a FA or 2 to complete the puzzle.  It will be interesting to see what happens when the new salary cap limits are set and these rook QB's (Cam, Luck, Kaepernick, RG3, Wilson, etc...) negotiate their next (payday) contracts.  But I feel it will be foolish to toy with playing QB roulette.