Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton intends return for 2014 season as he still loves the game & all it entails & can still help his team

bayone

First things first at Super Bowl XLVIII: Manning has let it be known he isn't going anywhere.

"Talking to Ray Lewis and talking to John Elway, they couldn't play any more (physically). That was all they had to give. They truly left it all out there.

"I still enjoy playing football. I feel a little better than I thought I would at this point coming off that (neck fusion) surgery. I still enjoy the preparation part of it, the work part of it. Everybody enjoys the game. Everybody is going to be excited to play in the Super Bowl."

Wait for it. Manning finally delivered his intentions.

"I think when you still enjoy the preparation, the work part of it, I think you sought to be still doing that," he said. "When I stop enjoying it, when I can't produce, when I can't help the team, that's when I'll stop playing. If that's next year, maybe it is. I certainly want to continue to keep playing." 

Read more: Peyton Manning will return to Broncos for 2014 season - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24997812/peyton-manning-will-return-broncos-2014-season#ixzz2rb0hXlY6

What jvan1973 said was verified by #18 himself. I do not want to see him deteriorate, that I can do without. If he can do two more very good years SB or no SB he will most likely go out as king with little debate even from the Montana fans.

yes thats what i quoted in last paragraph of my op'

the  line was

"When I stop enjoying it, when I can't produce, when I can't help the team, that's when I'll stop playing....

sometimes I am told by moderator feedback  not to make something bold as is confusing and harder to read to some, maybe this line I shouild have mad bold, but to moderators credit a i admit i can get carried away with bold and varying colors & am actively trying to better my posts

Not surprising to me at all.

I'm sure a few people are disappointed though. Really seemed like they wanted him gone.

I dont ness. want him gone. 

But I just cant help but to think of Brett Favre....Had arguably his best season, getting within 1 min of a SB birth in Minny, on what was considered a great young team....came back the next year, and the team and Brett were ravaged by injuries, and Brett had the worst season of his distinguished career....Team went from 12-4 to 6-10 and last in the division.....

I dont want that for Peyton. 

But I just cant help but to think of Brett Favre....Had arguably his best season, getting within 1 min of a SB birth in Minny, on what was considered a great young team....came back the next year, and the team and Brett were ravaged by injuries, and Brett had the worst season of his distinguished career....Team went from 12-4 to 6-10 and last in the division.....

Well every player has the risk of an injured/poor season.

My guess is that Manning will try for a SB this year and most of that Broncos team will be kept intact this offseason with a few exceptions, so I think there is a chance they could make a serious run again next year for back to back titles... but after the 2014 season, the Broncos have some serious decisions to make.

Broncos Free Agents after this season:

Knowshon Moreno, RB  = Very talented, high 1st round pick RB who performed exceptionally well this year..  It will cost some money to keep him because hes still so young and productive, but fortunately for the Broncos the RB market is going to be saturated this year.  That means most middle class RBs will struggle to find any good deals, but the cream of the crop RBs like Moreno, MJD, Darren McFadden and some others might see paydays.

Eric Decker, WR = Very productive WR for the Broncos and I think is often highly overlooked and underrated..  Hes been highly productive and consistent for Manning and im sure he'll command quite a bit of coin in free agency.  There is a very real possibiity that the Broncos lose him to FA

Winston Justice, OL = Will most likely take over at LG if/when Beadles moves on in FA.

Zane Beadles, OL = Broncos starting LG.. that offensive line has been impressive all year and im sure he's going to have some people interested in him.  

Dan Koppen, OL

Steve Vallos, OL  

Robert Ayers, DE =  They gotta sign either him or Shaun Phillips back.  Hes been a bit of an underachiever id say.  He was a first round draft pick if i remember correctly, but hasn't really produced so they should be able to keep him fairly cheaply.

Jeremy Mincey, DE 

Shaun Phillips, LB = They can probably keep him for a small amount of money given his age.  Hes one of the solid veterans they have on that defense, so it may be wise to keep him on for another 2 years or so unless they think Ayers is ready to take over.

Stewart Bradley, LB 

Paris Lenon, LB 

Wesley Woodyard, LB = Their starting MLB.. they won't have to break the bank for him, but they'll have to pay him something to keep him away from other teams.

Quentin Jammer, CB = It will only take vet minimum to keep him.. wouldnt be surprised if they just let him walk and have a young guy from the draft replace his spot on the roster.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB = This one is going to cost the Broncos big time.. hes a solid CB that should be making $5.5 mill or so a year.  It will be very interesting to see what happens with him.  Their one saving grace here is that they owe champ bailey $9 mill next year which I doubt they'll pay because hes too old and not worth that kind of contract anymore.

Mike Adams, S = Their starting safety.. hes pretty versatile as well and can play the FS and SS positions.  Not sure what it will cost to retain him.

Michael Huff, S =  

Denver Broncos 2014/15 Free Agents:

Demarius Thomas, WR =  Going to cost huge dollars to keep him.. hes a top 5 WR in this league, no question a top 10 and will want to be paid accordingly.
Wes Welker, WR = Will be another year older, but will still probably command about $4 mill or so a year
Julius Thomas, TE = Hes one of the elite Tight Ends in the league and will want to be paid accordingly.
Von Miller, DE/LB = The guy is 1 year removed from closing in on the sack record and was in the argument for MVP/DPOY.. He will cost a lot of money.
Champ Bailey, CB = He might not survive cuts this offseason with the $9 mill due to him.  It will be a veteran presence lost from the team though
Orlando Franklin, RT = Solid starting RT's in this league cost a premium.  The Patriots had to pay Sebastian Vollmer quite a bit of coin to keep him on the right side of the line protecting Brady and im sure Franklin will be in that same territory.
Rahim Moore, SS = Another starting safety for them.
Kevin Vickerson, DT =  A very solid interior defensive lineman for their defense.  He will command some money as a FA
Terrenance Knighton, DT = This guy is a total beast.. he had a monster game against the Pats in the AFCCG and will surely command some money in FA.
Joel Dreesen, TE 

So as you can see, the Broncos are on the verge of being torn apart from free agency, which is what typically happens to a lot of Super Bowl teams in this era of free agency and parity.

My guess is that Manning will finish this year and probably win a SB, and play against next year and again have a very good chance at winning another SB.  After next year though, I think he'll start thinking about retirement as loads and loads of talent leaves the Broncos via free agency.

The Broncos will also have tough decisions to make because Manning comes with a hefty price tag, so if they want to keep their offensive core of youth intact in D. Thomas, J. Thomas, Moreno, Decker and their offensive line they won't be able to pay a QB $20+ mill a year while at the same time retaining vital pieces of their defense in the process.

Manning has a real good chance of going out Elway style with back to back titles.  Not a bad way to ride off into the sunset of retirement.

My guess is that Manning will try for a SB this year and most of that Broncos team will be kept intact this offseason with a few exceptions, so I think there is a chance they could make a serious run again next year for back to back titles... but after the 2014 season, the Broncos have some serious decisions to make.

Knowshon Moreno, RB  = Very talented, high 1st round pick RB who performed exceptionally well this year..  It will cost some money to keep him because hes still so young and productive, but fortunately for the Broncos the RB market is going to be saturated this year.  That means most middle class RBs will struggle to find any good deals, but the cream of the crop RBs like Moreno, MJD, Darren McFadden and some others might see paydays.

Eric Decker, WR = Very productive WR for the Broncos and I think is often highly overlooked and underrated..  Hes been highly productive and consistent for Manning and im sure he'll command quite a bit of coin in free agency.  There is a very real possibiity that the Broncos lose him to FA

Winston Justice, OL = Will most likely take over at LG if/when Beadles moves on in FA.

Zane Beadles, OL = Broncos starting LG.. that offensive line has been impressive all year and im sure he's going to have some people interested in him.  

Dan Koppen, OL

Steve Vallos, OL  

Robert Ayers, DE =  They gotta sign either him or Shaun Phillips back.  Hes been a bit of an underachiever id say.  He was a first round draft pick if i remember correctly, but hasn't really produced so they should be able to keep him fairly cheaply.

Jeremy Mincey, DE 

Shaun Phillips, LB = They can probably keep him for a small amount of money given his age.  Hes one of the solid veterans they have on that defense, so it may be wise to keep him on for another 2 years or so unless they think Ayers is ready to take over.

Stewart Bradley, LB 

Paris Lenon, LB 

Wesley Woodyard, LB = Their starting MLB.. they won't have to break the bank for him, but they'll have to pay him something to keep him away from other teams.

Quentin Jammer, CB = It will only take vet minimum to keep him.. wouldnt be surprised if they just let him walk and have a young guy from the draft replace his spot on the roster.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB = This one is going to cost the Broncos big time.. hes a solid CB that should be making $5.5 mill or so a year.  It will be very interesting to see what happens with him.  Their one saving grace here is that they owe champ bailey $9 mill next year which I doubt they'll pay because hes too old and not worth that kind of contract anymore.

Mike Adams, S = Their starting safety.. hes pretty versatile as well and can play the FS and SS positions.  Not sure what it will cost to retain him.

Michael Huff, S =  

Demarius Thomas, WR =  Going to cost huge dollars to keep him.. hes a top 5 WR in this league, no question a top 10 and will want to be paid accordingly.
Wes Welker, WR = Will be another year older, but will still probably command about $4 mill or so a year
Julius Thomas, TE = Hes one of the elite Tight Ends in the league and will want to be paid accordingly.
Von Miller, DE/LB = The guy is 1 year removed from closing in on the sack record and was in the argument for MVP/DPOY.. He will cost a lot of money.
Champ Bailey, CB = He might not survive cuts this offseason with the $9 mill due to him.  It will be a veteran presence lost from the team though
Orlando Franklin, RT = Solid starting RT's in this league cost a premium.  The Patriots had to pay Sebastian Vollmer quite a bit of coin to keep him on the right side of the line protecting Brady and im sure Franklin will be in that same territory.
Kevin Vickerson, DT =  A very solid interior defensive lineman for their defense.  He will command some money as a FA
Terrenance Knighton, DT = This guy is a total beast.. he had a monster game against the Pats in the AFCCG and will surely command some money in FA.
Joel Dreesen, TE 

So as you can see, the Broncos are on the verge of being torn apart from free agency, which is what typically happens to a lot of Super Bowl teams in this era of free agency and parity.

My guess is that Manning will finish this year and probably win a SB, and play against next year and again have a very good chance at winning another SB.  After next year though, I think he'll start thinking about retirement as loads and loads of talent leaves the Broncos via free agency.

The Broncos will also have tough decisions to make because Manning comes with a hefty price tag, so if they want to keep their offensive core of youth intact in D. Thomas, J. Thomas, Moreno, Decker and their offensive line they won't be able to pay a QB $20+ mill a year while at the same time retaining vital pieces of their defense in the process.

Manning has a real good chance of going out Elway style with back to back titles.  Not a bad way to ride off into the sunset of retirement.

i agree completely on this

Well every player has the risk of an injured/poor season.

I understand this, and I know that the Clady/Koppen injuries on offense were pretty key....But of the top 8 offensive players they played a 123 games, out of 128.....Welker missed 3, Thomas missed 2....other than that every other offensive skill position stayed healthy....GB was also a high octane offense, 3rd in yards, and those players only managed 104 games, without considering the time Rodgers lost.... 

I dont think its possible for that to happen again....sometimes its better to be lucky than good, and I think on the offensive skill side of the ball they were incredibly lucky. 

Its hard for teams to repeat success like they had. On paper sure it looks like they can repeat, but that rarely happens. Heck Brady blew out a knee on his first play after his 50td season....Manning threw 28 after his record season....

Peyton does play the NFC West next year and AFC East, hope he gets a clean bill of health with his checkup since there will be some nasty Ds coming after him, including the ones in his division. I'd be surprised if the Broncos can get a bye week with that kind of schedule even if he returns.

and he gets a clear bill of health from is doctor.  That was the first story that lead to this one.  What Manning has done is given himself an out if he needs it.  Hopefully he doesn't because the NFL is better with Peyton Manning in it than without him even if he's not a Colt anymore. 

Dan Koppen, OL

Steve Vallos, OL  

Jeremy Mincey, DE 

Stewart Bradley, LB 

Paris Lenon, LB 

Michael Huff, S =  

Joel Dreesen, TE 

Exactly my thoughts, Mayo.

I think this was a non-story when it was first said..

Peyton will have yearly exam on his repaired neck EVERY year as ,long as he plays..

......This 'ride off into the sunset' thing is sports talk.....

....Remember..Peyton lost a year ....I would think he'll play out his contract.....3 more seasons

No reason not to. Broncos aren't completely cap strapped like NE or say Pittsburgh or Seattle. Yes they have some key FAs to sign but they will likely let go of Champ...saving 10 million, Dreeson saving 2.5 million, and at least Tamme another 3 million with Green and Thomas in the fold and young secondary growing more confident. Thats 15.5 million there on top of the 18 they already have giving them just as much as we do and more than most the league....its going to mostly go to their own big names but I'm sure with a SB contender much like how NE always got aging vets they will get players like Phillips or equiviliant to feel in for similar money. Their team won't change much next year and after that....yes...they will have to make changes...but that's to be expected.....Thomas will definately get paid...people like Moreno and next year likely Welker...not so much...there will be much younger cheaper options. Broncos have a small window...but its not going away next year either.

Dan Koppen, OL

Steve Vallos, OL  

Jeremy Mincey, DE 

Stewart Bradley, LB 

Paris Lenon, LB 

Michael Huff, S =  

Joel Dreesen, TE 

I agree with your conclusion but I look at the personell decisions much differently..

I dont think they keep K. Moreno..Ball's going to be a better player..and a very young Ronnie Hillman is still in the plans

Eric Decker will be resigend. He's in his prime...and he knows he wouldnt be as good elsewhere..

Its going to be hard to put Chris Clark back on the bench when Ryan Clady comes back...Clark will probably replace Beadles.

This is going to be Champ Bailey's final season....and that's where the money to resign DRC comes from.

Wes Welker is a 2-year deal..and that's it..Joel Dreessen will move on when his deal is up..

There's some money about to be freed up...

...and if its a choice between Von Miller and Demariyuis Thomas...its Thomas you keep because of who the QB is.

We've just seen how irreplaceable Von Miller is..

The bottom line is: No matter who wins Sunday,...Denver and NE are the favorites in the AFC again this fall

This isn't even news, just a made up storyline from the media saying he should retire if he wins the Super Bowl after he just had the best season of his career. There was no chance in hell he was retiring after a MVP season like that.

This isn't even news, just a made up storyline from the media saying he should retire if he wins the Super Bowl after he just had the best season of his career. There was no chance in hell he was retiring after a MVP season like that.

Has anyone EVER retired for any reason after winning the MVP in any team sport?