Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't Replace Him, Surround Him With Better Players

chad hugo

Why not take Luck and get our next franchise QB for the next 12-15 years. I hate when people say surround Peyton with more talent, it's one pick. It's not like the commish is gonna walk up to the podium draft day and say "With there 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, AND 7th round pick the Indianapolis Colts select...Andrew Luck. There's not even a talent on defense that's worth the 1st pick overall...Trade back you say? Well new argument. You say Luck isn't a sure thing, well no defensive player is either. Plus with the Polians drafting the last couple of years I wouldn't want them to pick a player besides Luck in the first round. Don't say draft a CB with a 1st round pick either because with our system that would be a waste of a pick(no we're not gonna change our system, its been here for years and it's staying here for years)(only CB I see worthy of drafting early for US is Janoris Jenkins who has tremendous ball skills and loves to read QBs, so he would excel in our zone.)

Perfectly said, bravo!

Great argument by cjmgirt23 (sp?).... About time the only reasonable sounding argument there is for taking luck. Kinda makes me change my mind a bit considering drafting a cb or defensive player wouldnt work early on based on our defensive scheme.....now if only super8todd could stop acting like everyone is dumb but him (even though his luck arguments are horrible) just because they dont want luck as badly as he does. We're all different.

Why not take Luck and get our next franchise QB for the next 12-15 years. I hate when people say surround Peyton with more talent, it's one pick. It's not like the commish is gonna walk up to the podium draft day and say "With there 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, AND 7th round pick the Indianapolis Colts select...Andrew Luck. There's not even a talent on defense that's worth the 1st pick overall...Trade back you say? Well new argument. You say Luck isn't a sure thing, well no defensive player is either. Plus with the Polians drafting the last couple of years I wouldn't want them to pick a player besides Luck in the first round. Don't say draft a CB with a 1st round pick either because with our system that would be a waste of a pick(no we're not gonna change our system, its been here for years and it's staying here for years)(only CB I see worthy of drafting early for US is Janoris Jenkins who has tremendous ball skills and loves to read QBs, so he would excel in our zone.)

Eloquent.

I Wanted to give you a bump to your rep, but it isn't letting me. Mods, any idea why?

we need a decent bloody RB with p.manning or with a.luck

if you cant score you cant win - period

then you need players to keep the QB upright/safe

then you fix the defense

although they say 'defense wins championships'. i think just the D line needs to stay consistent in stopping the run, and offence goes back the way it was in previous years and will be all good.

just need a explosive playmaker on D, other than frathis, in cb or safety, as bob was. or a revis. it shows just 1 player makes a difference.

It's only 1 pick, but a pick that could be turned into several picks in 2012, 2013 and possibly even 2014. There's not a player I would want the Colts to draft in the top 5 (Luck included but most already know that) though if there is a defensive player worthy of a top 5 pick it'd be Quinton Coples. He's the top defensive prospect and is the #1 overall prospect if only Seniors are taken into consideration. That said I would still not want to draft him unless we traded down and he fell to where-ever we trade down to.

The drafting from the past couple of years hasn't been nearly as bad as people make it out to be, and most people's problems are with the first round picks. The last few drafts you refer to had us picking in the bottom 5-10 of the first round and no one (well I hope no one) is saying to trade down that far.

I think of all the teams who will be in the market for Luck, the Redskins could be the most likely team to make an offer the Colts simply couldn't refuse. They tend to build more through FA than they do through the draft and the one thing they need is a franchise QB. They haven't been shy about trading away picks...in the past 10 years there was only 1 year where they had a pick in every round and there are multiple years where they only had 3-4 picks in the entire draft. If they feel they can use a couple of late round picks to help with the OL (OG and C often fall into later rounds) and pick up whatever other pieces they need through FA then the one piece of the puzzle they're really missing is QB. Depending on their draft position, they may not be in line for Luck, Barkley or Jones so they may see their only option as being to put together a massive package of draft picks to move up for Luck.

this has been discussed to death. we have 4 years left with peyton. people he will not be around forever. we have a perfect opportunity to continue our success for the next 10-15 years. why draft a defensive player when hes gonna be in the same lame defensive philosophy

You cant draft a guy who, in a best case scenario, will not play next year...

You just cant do it...we have other needs.

That seems obvious.

we have a crippled defense...we need new defensive players..

From http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/01/polian-wants-peyton-to-practice-not-play/

bucsfan5000 says:Nov 1, 2011 11:55 AM

"What will happen is that Luck will refuse to play for the Colts, then he gets traded to Denver and the Colts get Tim Tebow."

Bill Polian, Jim Caldwell, and Tim Tebow - a match made in heaven (or that other place). Dress the cheerleaders, and call them "the secondary".

From http://profootballta...ctice-not-play/

"What will happen is that Luck will refuse to play for the Colts, then he gets traded to Denver and the Colts get Tim Tebow."

Bill Polian, Jim Caldwell, and Tim Tebow - a match made in heaven (or that other place). Dress the cheerleaders, and call them "the secondary".

Worst coach & worst qb, what a combination.

From http://profootballta...ctice-not-play/

only bill polian could think of a trade like this...trade precious goods (luck) for "magic" jellybeans (tebow), hoping those 'beans turn out to be something out of this world lol

i just dont get it. Almost everybody is hoping we go 0-18 in order to get luck, who IMO is still an unproven and raw college QB. Sure he's good, but thats only at a collegial level. Scouts have called him the next big thing or the next manning but that has also been said about other number 1 picks ( ryan leaf, alex smith, *carson palmer *hes mediocre* etc )

What we need to do is draft defensive players. Once peyton comes back , our offense will be the same as it was 2 years ago but sadly i cannot say the same for our defense. If wayne is not back, then we have collie who can carry the load, maybe garcon can improve his catching , if not then there are some very good receivers in this upcoming draft. BUT this all starts up from the FO...peyton built this stadium, he IS the team, the least they can do is give him one more ring!

Completely agree. Our defense REALLY needs some work. Either that or maybe a new coordinator. I think that if we had a better defense, we would probably have every Super Bowl since 2007. Peyton has done so much for us to get us back into all of our games but he also needs help.

Thank you +1 from me

It's like people forget that there are 7 ROUNDS in the draft. If the Colts have the #1 pick, they should and will draft Andrew Luck. That is 1 pick out of 7. There are good Defensive players and O-Linemen who will be available in the later rounds.

Thank you +1 from me

It's like people forget that there are 7 ROUNDS in the draft. If the Colts have the #1 pick, they should and will draft Andrew Luck. That is 1 pick out of 7. There are good Defensive players and O-Linemen who will be available in the later rounds.

There will also be good QB's in the later rounds. I also think a mediocre #18 is still a Super Bowl QB. I personally like Kirk Cousins, & Ryan Tannehill in the later rounds. Trade the pick ...

Plus at this stage of the Colts where the time closing fast on us we shouldn't even think about drafting a big name offensive player. That'd be criminal to keep the first pick, knowing we could have multiple first round talents. Or we could do the unthinkable and draft someone else in the #1 spot. Much talk about nothing tho. I don't think we'd get the 1st pick anyway. Might get low as 4th overall ....

There will also be good QB's in the later rounds. I also think a mediocre #18 is still a Super Bowl QB. I personally like Kirk Cousins, & Ryan Tannehill in the later rounds. Trade the pick ...

But if you can get someone on the level of Luck you have to take him. I mean why would you pass on him only to draft a lesser rated QB out of college?

Plus at this stage of the Colts where the time closing fast on us we shouldn't even think about drafting a big name offensive player. That'd be criminal to keep the first pick, knowing we could have multiple first round talents. Or we could do the unthinkable and draft someone else in the #1 spot. Much talk about nothing tho. I don't think we'd get the 1st pick anyway. Might get low as 4th overall ....

I agree I think Miami gets the #1 pick, but I don't see us following any lower then #3.

My mistake. Thought this thread was about surrounding "him" with better players.

I have never thought that a player classified as a "Pro Bowler" always ment they were good or great players. Sometimes what a team needs is someone who just busts his butt all the time and never gets his named called. Having PB players is nice, but I don't think it is something you have to have a high number of to be successful.

I have never thought that a player classified as a "Pro Bowler" always ment they were good or great players. Sometimes what a team needs is someone who just busts his butt all the time and never gets his named called. Having PB players is nice, but I don't think it is something you have to have a high number of to be successful.

Well, see, there ya go. It does mean they are good or great players. So think again. So our QB is in fact surrounded by good or great players. 12 more wouldn't hurt, but with our staff, it wouldn't help....much....