Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Way Peyton Lets Colts Draft Luck, Says Phil Simms

Which is probably why the colts are keeping peyton on the active roster to see if he can still play... When peyton gets a full bill of health which i think will be soon and probably before the season ends why should the colts draft andrew luck..

Fans need to remember peyton had two previous neck surgeries and the last one he played through the pain in his last season and he still got the colts to the playoffs, WHEN he is fully healthy with no pain peyton has a pretty good chance of putting up some really good numbers...

If the colts draft luck with the way their salary cap is, some players will have to go because they will not be able to have to high end QB's on the roster without some fall out... which in turn would hurt the colts.... These are the three things i see that could very well happen.

1.Colts play peyton at the end of the season and dont draft luck

2. Colts try to reconstruct peytons contract, he doesnt have it so the colts draft luck and trade peyton.

3. Colts reconstruct peytons contract and still draft luck, yet they cannot fill some gaps on defense with TALENT... not players.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/10/phil-simms-no-way-peyton-manning-will-let-colts-draft-andrew-luck/1

There are alot of threads on Luck, but i think this is a plausible question... Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning... because you cant have both.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well fortunately it's not his decision, so if the team thinks the best way forward is drafting Luck, then they should do so. Manning should not have any say in this, and if he does, our front office is doing our team a disservice.

Furthermore, this is just Phil Sims speculating. In other words, this is much ado about nothing.

Well fortunately it's not his decision, so if the team thinks the best way forward is drafting Luck, then they should do so. Manning should not have any say in this, and if he does, our front office is doing our team a disservice.

Furthermore, this is just Phil Sims speculating. In other words, this is much ado about nothing.

yep, what Jaric said....

Andrew Luck is way too costly. Even in a business sense I wouldn't draft Luck because I don't like investing #1 pick money in a guy, who chances are will not be considered anywhere close to GOAT, and the value for Luck (assuming 18 can muscle through a few more years) is just not worth the franchise, given we need a complete team. If anything I'd draft Luck & trade away or trade down & grab a QB much later (Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, Kellen Moore, etc. ), while also filling another need in the first. Trading 18 to me sounds like 'we give up on a SB in the near future to breed a playoff caliber offense in the more distant future'.

I think the Colts need to look at the big picture and figure out what they can they do with Manning back next year to earn another Super Bowl. There's all this talk about drafting Luck but, I want to see Manning with another Super Bowl....He deserves it and this season should be the turning point for the Colts to change their ways.

Look what Denver did for Elway....

if the colts have pick 1 they will draft luck - PERIOD

they will then have time to evaluate both QBs so they can see who is the best option going foward

they will also have to assess what trade package they could get for either player

keep in mind p.manning could be traded to certain teams and it would be a near lock that team would win the superbowl (so the colts could get some quality young players to go foward with luck)

or if manning returns back to perfect they could trade luck and get the pieces to make them a contender with manning

r.wayne is 33 nearly & free agent as well

Andrew Luck is way too costly. Even in a business sense I wouldn't draft Luck because I don't like investing #1 pick money in a guy, who chances are will not be considered anywhere close to GOAT, and the value for Luck (assuming 18 can muscle through a few more years) is just not worth the franchise, given we need a complete team. If anything I'd draft Luck & trade away or trade down & grab a QB much later (Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, Kellen Moore, etc. ), while also filling another need in the first. Trading 18 to me sounds like 'we give up on a SB in the near future to breed a playoff caliber offense in the more distant future'.

What leads you to believe with all the issues this franchise has right now and with Peyton aging faster every day that any shot of the SB is in the near future for this franchise?

I love manning to death but he's got maybe 3 Years left he may have one. I say if your in a position to take luck you take him and trade manning. We should rebuild with young talented players. I know most of you will disagree but I think it's a pretty good idea. Bring in a HC who is interested in taking over a team with a young talented qb and go from there. This is just my opinion but whatever the FO does is fine by me they know more then I do about the whole situation.

I love manning to death but he's got maybe 3 Years left he may have one. I say if your in a position to take luck you take him and trade manning. We should rebuild with young talented players. I know most of you will disagree but I think it's a pretty good idea. Bring in a HC who is interested in taking over a team with a young talented qb and go from there. This is just my opinion but whatever the FO does is fine by me they know more then I do about the whole situation.

you are ok with trading Manning to another team and watching that team win a SB?

any team he goes to will be a instant SB contender because their ENTIRE team is better than the Colts, and we are the only team in the league that is designed to play with the lead.

Actually looking at the big picture, 18 prolly has meant the most to his franchise than any other athlete in sports .... no way u'd trade him. Most Colts fans oughta admit they wouldn't even be fans if not for P. Money.

Also, I want to expunge this relation between Manning-Luck, Favre-Rodgers, & Montana-Young. Luck would b the only out of that group to be drafted that high overall , and we cannot compare Luck to any of these subsequent HOF's. Luck would be paid too much to ride pine and too talented not to play within his first year. Plus knowin Peyton he'd do the Favre till he get another SB.

you are ok with trading Manning to another team and watching that team win a SB?

any team he goes to will be a instant SB contender because their ENTIRE team is better than the Colts, and we are the only team in the league that is designed to play with the lead.

Saying any team he goes to is an instant SB contender is a stretch. What if his neck isn't better and he is never the same again. I know though everybody's opiniOn is awful and yours is awesome. Anything I say you will just twist it to your liking. I could say my second favorite color is red and you would say why do you hate red. I refuse to try and get my point across to you.

Saying any team he goes to is an instant SB contender is a stretch. What if his neck isn't better and he is never the same again. I know though everybody's opiniOn is awful and yours is awesome. Anything I say you will just twist it to your liking. I could say my second favorite color is red and you would say why do you hate red. I refuse to try and get my point across to you.

yeah I meant if he is back 100% heath wise.

My opinion obviously means nothing, and I don't care either. Out of every 100 people, I am the only one that thinks firing Caldwell and Polian is not the answer. So obviously I am not gonna convince anyone anything. But yeah, you are right, red sucks.

yeah I meant if he is back 100% heath wise.

My opinion obviously means nothing, and I don't care either. Out of every 100 people, I am the only one that thinks firing Caldwell and Polian is not the answer. So obviously I am not gonna convince anyone anything. But yeah, you are right, red sucks.

Well good for you I'm happy you think Caldwell is a good fit in Indy but I disagree. Shouldn't you be in school?

I know 18 is unhealthy at the moment but since we see that the team can't do much without him ... I don't think people realize how much better he makes this team. Think from 3-13 in 98' to 10 of 11 playoff appearances and a SB, all he needed was a defense and a run game when were easily #2 in the league 04-07. Peyton + Offense can get us to the playoffs almost certainly, while a viable D could mean more than a SB, maybe a couple. Not to say we haven't had truly dynamic players come through here (i.e. Edge, Faulk, Bob, I think Garcon could be in this category with more consistency)

I agree.I have both luck and cousins rated the same on my board.There's two main differences however;1.cousins will be cheaper and more willing to develope until manning retires.2.He's a better man than luck and will exceed him eventually in all aspects.

The trade would not happen till probably the 2014 season at the earilies and at that point, just like with Joe Montana, I don't see Peyton being that great and being able to lead many teams to the SB.

Actually looking at the big picture, 18 prolly has meant the most to his franchise than any other athlete in sports .... no way u'd trade him. Most Colts fans oughta admit they wouldn't even be fans if not for P. Money.

Also, I want to expunge this relation between Manning-Luck, Favre-Rodgers, & Montana-Young. Luck would b the only out of that group to be drafted that high overall , and we cannot compare Luck to any of these subsequent HOF's. Luck would be paid too much to ride pine and too talented not to play within his first year. Plus knowin Peyton he'd do the Favre till he get another SB.

this whole "paid to much" doesn't hold water anymore with the new CBA. Also there is no reason to throw him into the fire in the first season or even the second, let him sit back and learn, he can only get better via that plan.

I agree.I have both luck and cousins rated the same on my board.There's two main differences however;1.cousins will be cheaper and more willing to develope until manning retires.2.He's a better man than luck and will exceed him eventually in all aspects.

Who is this Cousins and how would he be chaper? The number 1 pick is going to get X amount of dollars no matter who he is.

The trade would not happen till probably the 2014 season at the earilies and at that point, just like with Joe Montana, I don't see Peyton being that great and being able to lead many teams to the SB.

If he lead a bad team to a SB twice, he can lead a normal to a decent team to a SB as well.

Well you may think that but peyton has more say on this team than caldwell, and the way this season has turned out jim irsay knows that... with everything they have accomplished it was pretty much because of peyton.. if peyton is healthy and ready to go then i dont see the colts drafting luck at all even if they wanted to... because its to expensive and there is no way they would let peyton go for luck

.. if peyton is healthy and ready to go then i dont see the colts drafting luck at all even if they wanted to... because its to expensive and there is no way they would let peyton go for luck

exactly, we don't even know what type of player Luck will be in the NFL, and with our luck, Luck will get injured and will be placed on the IR.

If he lead a bad team to a SB twice, he can lead a normal to a decent team to a SB as well.

He didn't lead 2 bad teams to the SB, he lead two good teams that he made great, plus he was much younger then and not having the health issues he is having now and will only get worse as he gets older.

Who is this Cousins and how would he be chaper? The number 1 pick is going to get X amount of dollars no matter who he is.

Andrew will be a top 5 pick(most likely 1),and cousins may fall into the third round depending on alot of factors.I think kirk cousins is a similiar mold to joe montana/tom brady type of player.

Well you may think that but peyton has more say on this team than caldwell, and the way this season has turned out jim irsay knows that... with everything they have accomplished it was pretty much because of peyton.. if peyton is healthy and ready to go then i dont see the colts drafting luck at all even if they wanted to... because its to expensive and there is no way they would let peyton go for luck

How is it to expensive? Also Luck wouldn't come in and start in 2012 unless Peyton was physically unable. He would sit and learn from Peyton in 2012 and 2013 and then probably take over in 2014 when Peyton either retires, is traded or agrees to move to the backup role.

Obviously the NFL is a quarterback driven league. Look at our beloved Colts without Manning. The formula is already out there when you look at the best QB in the NFL playing on the best team in the NFL right now. I'll bet Favre wasn't too fond of the Packers drafting Rogers either. Look how that move turned out. The Colts would be foolish to not follow the Packers script and draft Luck.

How is it to expensive? Also Luck wouldn't come in and start in 2012 unless Peyton was physically unable. He would sit and learn from Peyton in 2012 and 2013 and then probably take over in 2014 when Peyton either retires, is traded or agrees to move to the backup role.

How much guranteed money will Luck get every year if he was the number one pick? i know for sure it will be over 8 million guaranteed a year... peyton is gonna get 28 million in march next year.. not to mention Luck's signing bonus... point is no matter what the colts cannot afford both QB's... and just so you know this is painters year to decide if he is gonna stay with this team or not.

So if painter has a pretty good year, you can guarantee Luck will not be a colt... Peyton is legend, as for Luck he is a highly touted QB that runs the no huddle in college which not many QB's have been or are doing in college.. hence why they are comparing him to manning.

football is all copycat, i would bet the year after there will be another QB running the no huddle and showing that he is pro ready and all that good stuff

Absolutely....Peyton's medical outcome, not Peyton's approval or disapproval.... should determine whether we draft Andrew Luck.

As great as Peyton is.... the tail does NOT wag the dog.

How much guranteed money will Luck get every year if he was the number one pick? i know for sure it will be over 8 million guaranteed a year... peyton is gonna get 28 million in march next year.. not to mention Luck's signing bonus... point is no matter what the colts cannot afford both QB's... and just so you know this is painters year to decide if he is gonna stay with this team or not.

So if painter has a pretty good year, you can guarantee Luck will not be a colt... Peyton is legend, as for Luck he is a highly touted QB that runs the no huddle in college which not many QB's have been or are doing in college.. hence why they are comparing him to manning.

football is all copycat, i would bet the year after there will be another QB running the no huddle and showing that he is pro ready and all that good stuff

Whomever we draft in the No. 1 slot is going to get guarenteed monies, so if that is the case better it go for Luck over another player. You also are forgetting the huge monies that No. 1 picks got in the past, is in the past the new labor agreement saw to that, and thus why the Colts can now afford both.

Absolutely....Peyton's medical outcome, not Peyton's approval or disapproval.... should determine whether we draft Andrew Luck.

As great as Peyton is.... the tail does NOT wag the dog.

Peyton could be 100% and we still need to draft Luck.

You're exactly right smitto.I don't believe all this 'luck hype'.I prefer to keep an actual legend compared to a giant '? mark'.

Peyton could be 100% and we still need to draft Luck.

I draw the line on that at 2 years.... if we draft Andrew Luck, he needs to be under center in 1-2 seasons

There of folks here like yourself who like Luck so much that even 4 years is an acceptable timeframe.... and there are some who don't want him at all.

It's all good.... we just gotta wait and see.

Your estimate is grossly inaccurate.

Cam Newton got 22 million guaranteed over 4 years.... and that includes bonuses AND salary.... everything.

If Andrew Luck gets "over 8 million" for 4 years.... that would be a 50% increase over Newton's contract just one year later.

50% increases per year to the top pick in the draft?

THAT is just not gonna happen under the new CBA.

Edited by pacolts56

Obviously the NFL is a quarterback driven league. Look at our beloved Colts without Manning. The formula is already out there when you look at the best QB in the NFL playing on the best team in the NFL right now. I'll bet Favre wasn't too fond of the Packers drafting Rogers either. Look how that move turned out. The Colts would be foolish to not follow the Packers script and draft Luck.

I have #18's jersey in my closet, yes I'm a closet fan of Manning. He is a great quarterback and Painter is not the same caliber.

I keep hearing how much we need him in order to win. Didn't he go 3-13 his first year and don't tell me he had no team around him because I think it has been made perfectly clear that we DON'T HAVE ONE THIS YEAR EITHER. So, why is the quarterback the problem? I really don't believe with this team P Manning would be better than 4-3 if that.

Amen! Co-signing on this.