Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Way Peyton Lets Colts Draft Luck, Says Phil Simms

You're exactly right smitto.I don't believe all this 'luck hype'.I prefer to keep an actual legend compared to a giant '? mark'.

All "Legends" come to an end, what makes good franchises great is to know what that time has come or even better know a season or two before and go in a new direction. No Legend can play forever....

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's clear up a couple of things.

- This isn't Manning's decision. At all. If he makes it his or tries to, he's being selfish. I don't see him doing anything of the sort.

- This is all Phil Simms speculating. Let me repeat that. This is nothing but speculation. Phil Simms could write that Manning will demand a 400 foot bronze statue of himself erected outside of LOS and that doesn't mean a thing.

- This argument about money is silly as Pacolts already pointed out. The new CBA ensures we won't be paying what some think we will be paying. That's why they put it in, so that drafting a player doesn't become prohibitive.

- Having Luck learn under Manning for a few years is not a bad thing. It's actually quite the opposite. Nothing could be better for a young QB than to spend a year or three watching Peyton Manning prepare to be an NFL QB. Learning what is expected and what it takes to succede in the NFL. Greatness is what happens when talent and hardwork meet.

- Trading the pick to attempt to rebuild the team for the expressed purpose of getting Manning another superbowl isn't likely to succede either. These are rookies we're talking about. Even highly drafted ones will likely have a period of learning to play in the NFL before they are really productive. It's not realistic to expect to draft a bunch of rookies and go right to a superbowl. Yeah, it could happen, but filling your hopes and dreams on that happening is likely to end in disappointment.

-Not saying that trading the pick wouldn't be an option, but to expect these guys to come in as rookies and be the pieces that lead us to a superbowl isn't. If we do that, it's again long term.

How much guranteed money will Luck get every year if he was the number one pick? i know for sure it will be over 8 million guaranteed a year... peyton is gonna get 28 million in march next year.. not to mention Luck's signing bonus... point is no matter what the colts cannot afford both QB's... and just so you know this is painters year to decide if he is gonna stay with this team or not.

So if painter has a pretty good year, you can guarantee Luck will not be a colt... Peyton is legend, as for Luck he is a highly touted QB that runs the no huddle in college which not many QB's have been or are doing in college.. hence why they are comparing him to manning.

football is all copycat, i would bet the year after there will be another QB running the no huddle and showing that he is pro ready and all that good stuff

As others have said, the rookie wage scale makes drafting # 1 actually preferable where it used to be considered a burden. But regardless, one thing you said in your post that stands out is the year Painter has and how that relates to Luck. There is absolutely zero correlation. None. The Colts will not pass on Luck because they already have Painter. If they take Luck it is because they think they need a QB of the future, something which they clearly do not have in Painter.

- This isn't Manning's decision. At all. If he makes it his or tries to, he's being selfish. I don't see him doing anything of the sort.

- This is all Phil Simms speculating. Let me repeat that. This is nothing but speculation. Phil Simms could write that Manning will demand a 400 foot bronze statue of himself erected outside of LOS and that doesn't mean a thing.

- This argument about money is silly as Pacolts already pointed out. The new CBA ensures we won't be paying what some think we will be paying. That's why they put it in, so that drafting a player doesn't become prohibitive.

- Having Luck learn under Manning for a few years is not a bad thing. It's actually quite the opposite. Nothing could be better for a young QB than to spend a year or three watching Peyton Manning prepare to be an NFL QB. Learning what is expected and what it takes to succede in the NFL. Greatness is what happens when talent and hardwork meet.

- Trading the pick to attempt to rebuild the team for the expressed purpose of getting Manning another superbowl isn't likely to succede either. These are rookies we're talking about. Even highly drafted ones will likely have a period of learning to play in the NFL before they are really productive. It's not realistic to expect to draft a bunch of rookies and go right to a superbowl. Yeah, it could happen, but filling your hopes and dreams on that happening is likely to end in disappointment.

-Not saying that trading the pick wouldn't be an option, but to expect these guys to come in as rookies and be the pieces that lead us to a superbowl isn't. If we do that, it's again long term.

This

As others have said, the rookie wage scale makes drafting # 1 actually preferable where it used to be considered a burden. But regardless, one thing you said in your post that stands out is the year Painter has and how that relates to Luck. There is absolutely zero correlation. None. The Colts will not pass on Luck because they already have Painter. If they take Luck it is because they think they need a QB of the future, something which they clearly do not have in Painter.

The new rookie wage scale is the most ignored/best kept secret surrounding our league now. Literally everyone seems to forget about it when Luck is brought up. When it's a CB or a defensive player, it's never an issue. But for Luck, you'd think he was going to get a deal 3 or 4 times the worth of which JaMarcuss Russell got.

And totally agree... The presence of Painter won't stop us from doing anything. Well, other than winning.

... Oh yeah, I said it.

Whomever we draft in the No. 1 slot is going to get guarenteed monies, so if that is the case better it go for Luck over another player. You also are forgetting the huge monies that No. 1 picks got in the past, is in the past the new labor agreement saw to that, and thus why the Colts can now afford both.

That guaranteed 8million is not expensive at all... cam newton got guaranteed just over 7 million a year last year... Luck is better than cam newton.

All im saying is there are bigger needs than a potentially good QB behind an already sure all of famer, potential can get a coach fired... or more on the lines of a GM.

All "Legends" come to an end, what makes good franchises great is to know what that time has come or even better know a season or two before and go in a new direction. No Legend can play forever....

I wish they didn't have to~.But regardless 'manning' is a special player and i'm sure he will voice an opinion about it come this april.If we pass on luck,then that means that he(manning)gave management some kind of promise for his future as a player.If we take luck,then that means an end to manning shortly thereafter.I think smitto is right...its one or the other.

Polian Said this is painters year to see if he stays on the team or not... if he does have a great year for a back up then what would that tell you... the colts already have peyton, they arent gonna draft luck if painter proves he's a quality backup.... it does make drafting easier but not for a team like the colts who already have money invested in their HOF QB... like i said if the colts draft Luck he would be getting a good chunk of change more like 8 million, you cant carry that much money just on QB's

Why do so many assume Luck would be paid for nothing?

Let me get this straight...

-We draft a QB to be our next unquestioned team leader

-We pay him accordingly as a starter, but we have a starter he's learning from therefore...

-He gets paid to ride the pine and take a snap when Peyton can't?

Yeah.... No.

Luck would see as much game time as he can, which is a win-win. He's helping keep Peyton healthy and preserve him, and he's getting in-game experience at the same time.

But of course that's a serious problem... :rolleyes:

The new rookie wage scale is the most ignored/best kept secret surrounding our league now. Literally everyone seems to forget about it when Luck is brought up. When it's a CB or a defensive player, it's never an issue. But for Luck, you'd think he was going to get a deal 3 or 4 times the worth of which JaMarcuss Russell got.

And totally agree... The presence of Painter won't stop us from doing anything. Well, other than winning.

... Oh yeah, I said it.

And you good sir will get a face palm...... :facepalm:

Yeah.... Right. Peyton will tell the team who they can, and can't draft, but he wouldn't tell them not to take him out of a game when his team was 14-0 with a lead in the third quarter.

Great theory...

That's a good point...

I think Peyton will ASK the Colts to play in December and they will say 'yes'

..but the Colts are going to be here after he's gone and Polian isnt going to let anyone tell him anything..

Well fortunately it's not his decision, so if the team thinks the best way forward is drafting Luck, then they should do so. Manning should not have any say in this, and if he does, our front office is doing our team a disservice.

Furthermore, this is just Phil Sims speculating. In other words, this is much ado about nothing.

It's not, but he can make life harder, or easier on us... Trading him, with his willingness will cost os x money. Releasing him, because he is angry, will cost us x + 80million dollars, plus he can still sign with any team and come beat the heck out of us.

Your estimate is grossly inaccurate.

Cam Newton got 22 million guaranteed over 4 years.... and that includes bonuses AND salary.... everything.

If Andrew Luck gets "over 8 million" for 4 years.... that would be a 50% increase over Newton's contract just one year later.

50% increases per year to the top pick in the draft?

THAT is just not gonna happen under the new CBA.

I think your wrong on that one... cam newton got a 14 million dollar signing bonus... are you saying his actual contract just for the 4yrs is just 8 million dollars? idk about that one.

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/sports/article_212387956.shtml

this link does not say the signing bonus was included either

The truth is: We need at least five new defensive starters (tackle, LB and 3 DBs) on defense..

We cant afford to draft a QB...

But if we get the top pick,then trading it could address virtually every need that you mentioned.I think more than anything we need a new aggressive defensive style of play...and a secondary.

Why do so many assume Luck would be paid for nothing?

Let me get this straight...

-We draft a QB to be our next unquestioned team leader

-We pay him accordingly as a starter, but we have a starter he's learning from therefore...

-He gets paid to ride the pine and take a snap when Peyton can't?

Yeah.... No.

Luck would see as much game time as he can, which is a win-win. He's helping keep Peyton healthy and preserve him, and he's getting in-game experience at the same time.

But of course that's a serious problem... :rolleyes:

Why do you assume when peyton gets back, luck would get any play time?... nothing will change when peyton gets back, he will demand all the practice time just as he always had.

Agents dont think like fans, they will try to get he most they can get for their players, they dont care if he's gonna be riding pine or picking up towels. Cam's contract was 22 mil guranteed last year and they are gonna push to top that for the simple fact that his name is Andrew Luck and he's a future NFL star.

Why would you pay a starter, starter money to sit down and learn? your crippling your team just by doing that.

It's not, but he can make life harder, or easier on us... Trading him, with his willingness will cost os x money. Releasing him, because he is angry, will cost us x + 80million dollars, plus he can still sign with any team and come beat the heck out of us.

You know what though, if he's going to throw a hissy fit because the front office made a move to ensure long term stability, and out of selfishness he starts causing problems, I'd have no issues trading him.

Again though, nothing I've seen about Manning suggests he would do anything like this. He's always been a team guy and a good little soldier.

Besides, we'd be drafting Luck for the future. Even if we do draft him, Manning would still be the right now.

I think your wrong on that one... cam newton got a 14 million dollar signing bonus... are you saying his actual contract just for the 4yrs is just 8 million dollars? idk about that one.

http://www.postchron...212387956.shtml

this link does not say the signing bonus was included either

C'mon man.....do some research. Here are Newton's contract provisions so you can at least debate this from an accurate standpoint....

"Cam Newton received a four-year contract last week worth $22,025,498, according to numbers obtained by ESPN.com’s Pat Yasinskas.

Here’s a breakdown of how Newton will get paid.

He gets an immediate signing bonus ot $14,518,5444. He’ll then make base salaries of $375,000 in 2011, $1,376,159 in 2012, $2,377,318 in 2013 and $3,378,477 in 2014.

So there you have it.....22 million and small change, all guaranteed. That's it.

Whether its Andrew Luck or Joe Shmoe picked #1 next year.....they are NOT getting an increase of 50% over the total contract value...as you originally stated.

Indeed it isn't Manining's decision. Again, he can make it easier or harder for us, so I believe you want him to have some sort of say in this, you just signed him to a 100M contract for 5 years.

This is Phil Simms speculating, and above it's you speculating and now it's me speculating, so? I think he has a point, you draft Luck and keep him you miss a chance to make this team better for Peyton, hence, probabilities of winning a SB become slimmer...

1st Ovr pick gets about 22M in 5 years, that's still a lot of money, where you put that money matters in terms of talent allocation, again, drafting a QB and playing Manning limits our chances to allocate more talent in the team.

Peyton Manning said: The best way for a rookie QB to learn and become good is beong on the field... He'd be so cynical if he didn't follow that now, he is Luck's number one advisor...

It's not realistic thinking that rookies will help us win SB... why is Luck gonna? especially in the short-term, I actually believe a CB in the first round PLAYING ON THE FIELD EVERY SUNDAY is more likely to help us than a Rookie QB on the sidelines, taking snaps when games are already won...? INCONGRUENT

You can also get xperienced players from other teams on a trade like this, not only picks, did you account for that?

If we draft Luck, we have to trade Peyton and rebuild.

If we trade out, we have to get Peyton some serious talent.

YOU CANNOT HAVE BOTH FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE FRANCHISE, you draft a QB you miss a chance to get either rookie talent or helpful vets, This team is lacking talent, again; THIS TEAM IS LACKING TALENT, bringing PM back it's not gonna be enough. Better give him a chance to win, either here or in another team.

Why do you assume when peyton gets back, luck would get any play time?... nothing will change when peyton gets back, he will demand all the practice time just as he always had.

Agents dont think like fans, they will try to get he most they can get for their players, they dont care if he's gonna be riding pine or picking up towels. Cam's contract was 22 mil guranteed last year and they are gonna push to top that for the simple fact that his name is Andrew Luck and he's a future NFL star.

Why would you pay a starter, starter money to sit down and learn? your crippling your team just by doing that.

Sure thing. I can see it now...

Jim Irsay: Hey, Peyton, you know we all love you, but all good things must end. You've done a lot for us, and before you're done we'd like you to help us out one more time. We'd like you to mentor our next QB.

Peyton Manning: Jim.

Jim Irsay: But we've already drafted him. He's a good kid. A ton of physical talent. He can carry on a winning legacy you instilled in this franchise.

Peyton Manning: Jim.

Jim Irsay: All we want you to do is let him take some reps in practice, and maybe play him late in games when we have built a comfortable lead... I mean it would be best for the team to be able to transition from one best quarterback in the league to another....

Peyton Manning: Jim. I don't care about this team, or it winning without me or any of that crap. I just want to get paid. Nevermind that mentoring Luck and letting him handle some of my workload would actually technically increase what I make by decreasing the amount of work I have to do... I won't do it, Jim, and I'll murder you in your sleep if you try and make me.

Sure, entirely logical.

If Peyton took "The Decision" sitting down (and he did) then he wouldn't object to us asking him to help out our future QB. Peyton is a company man. What they request, he complies.

Edited by Maureen
Removed Masked Profanity

the total amount of monies Luck can get is set as it is for whomever the number pick is. You pay it because he is the best option for your long term need at the most important position in the NFL. If I am going to pay top salary I want the best possible return on that.

Polian Said this is painters year to see if he stays on the team or not... if he does have a great year for a back up then what would that tell you... the colts already have peyton, they arent gonna draft luck if painter proves he's a quality backup.... it does make drafting easier but not for a team like the colts who already have money invested in their HOF QB... like i said if the colts draft Luck he would be getting a good chunk of change more like 8 million, you cant carry that much money just on QB's

Come on man, grab a clue. You need to stop believing everything you hear from the Polians or at least learn to read between the lines. I know Chris P said that Wayne & Mathis would both be on the 2012 Colts roster. But what if they both suck? Why would the Colts want them back? The other scenario - they are both great and want one more big pay day. Either case would be a no go for one or both of them. They would be done as Colts, regardless what Chris said last month.

As it relates to Painter

1) Do you think Painter is the post-Manning Colts QB?

2) Do you think if Luck were to be drafted, it would be to be the post-Manning Colts QB?

There is only one correct answer for both of those questions. And that correct answer should lead you to the conclusion that Luck and Painter don't have one thing to do with each other.

By induction u can't assume Luck would develop anything like Rodgers, etc. & if he did what more could he do Peyton couldn't either @ 100% or 85%. We've all seen him throw 5 picks in a game & still lead the team on a game-winning drive only to have the Vinatieri miss inside 40 yds with Craphonso Thorpe & Aromashodu in the game. Peyton is off our but Defense steps up to give him the ball back with the chance to win the game. (I have seen this often)

That being said any way to create turnovers on D is what we need. Our line whether interior or on the edge, & our blitzes should be disruptive and our DB's shouldn't get burned 10 times a game. As far as scheme go we oughta put the players in position to make plays. Luck can't do any better job than any other able QB's in the draft given that our defense accomplish some of these things.

Btw whatever road we do decide to go down oughta be determined by 18's health, what other QB's standout & what personnel moves we make, especially at HC. Iono how the Polian's feel but .... :dunno:

C'mon man.....do some research. Here are Newton's contract provisions so you can at least debate this from an accurate standpoint....

"Cam Newton received a four-year contract last week worth $22,025,498, according to numbers obtained by ESPN.com’s Pat Yasinskas.

Here’s a breakdown of how Newton will get paid.

He gets an immediate signing bonus ot $14,518,5444. He’ll then make base salaries of $375,000 in 2011, $1,376,159 in 2012, $2,377,318 in 2013 and $3,378,477 in 2014.

So there you have it.....22 million and small change, all guaranteed. That's it.

Whether its Andrew Luck or Joe Shmoe picked #1 next year.....they are NOT getting an increase of 50% over the total contract value...as you originally stated.

Ahh touche... i got confused with the optional 5th year which would be 14 mil

Once again we have all seen first hand this year how big a difference one great QB can make in the WIN/LOSS column. I know Luck hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet but he is being touted by almost everybody as being one of those once in a decade type players. Those Manning, Elway, Marino type players. You can't afford NOT to take him. We don't like to think about it but Peyton is on his last leg even if he is healthy again. We need another face of the franchise for the next decade or more and these type of QB's rarely come along. Easy easy decision.

Come on man, grab a clue. You need to stop believing everything you hear from the Polians or at least learn to read between the lines. I know Chris P said that Wayne & Mathis would both be on the 2012 Colts roster. But what if they both suck? Why would the Colts want them back? The other scenario - they are both great and want one more big pay day. Either case would be a no go for one or both of them. They would be done as Colts, regardless what Chris said last month.

As it relates to Painter

1) Do you think Painter is the post-Manning Colts QB?

2) Do you think if Luck were to be drafted, it would be to be the post-Manning Colts QB?

There is only one correct answer for both of those questions. And that correct answer should lead you to the conclusion that Luck and Painter don't have one thing to do with each other.

Aye look i dont need to grab a clue, Painter is not the future starter BUT he is the backup and thats what he is competing for.. which is what the colts need since they already have a Starter in Peyton.... Im not even talking about wayne and mathis because they will be dealt with and they will be colts in the next season... the colts already lack talent as it is.. no receiver beihind wayne or DE behind mathis... hughes is a LB...

What it all comes down to is money and the colts do not have that floating around because they need to feed their players... if painter performs very well then its the perfect reason for them not to draft luck because they have peyton and a backup...

the total amount of monies Luck can get is set as it is for whomever the number pick is. You pay it because he is the best option for your long term need at the most important position in the NFL. If I am going to pay top salary I want the best possible return on that.

The whole reason i started this thread was for a basic question... you cant have both, peyton or luck because the colts will not carry both with a competitive team for the upcoming season.

Aye look i dont need to grab a clue, Painter is not the future starter BUT he is the backup and thats what he is competing for.. which is what the colts need since they already have a Starter in Peyton.... Im not even talking about wayne and mathis because they will be dealt with and they will be colts in the next season... the colts already lack talent as it is.. no receiver beihind wayne or DE behind mathis... hughes is a LB...

What it all comes down to is money and the colts do not have that floating around because they need to feed their players... if painter performs very well then its the perfect reason for them not to draft luck because they have peyton and a backup...

A backup that can't win ONE game? No thanks.

Look man, you just kind of answered the question even if you don't want to admit it. Painter is not the next Colts QB. Not even his mom thinks so.

So if they are in a position to draft Luck they will do it because:

1) They need the next franchise QB even if Manning is OK.

2) They need the next franchise QB especially if Manning is not healthy

or

If they are in a position to draft luck they will decline because:

Manning is healthy and they decided to trade the pick for multiple selections from a QB needy team

Either of those scenarios are possible to happen but the one thing that neither has? Anything to do with Curtis Painter

Once again we have all seen first hand this year how big a difference one great QB can make in the WIN/LOSS column. I know Luck hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet but he is being touted by almost everybody as being one of those once in a decade type players. Those Manning, Elway, Marino type players. You can't afford NOT to take him. We don't like to think about it but Peyton is on his last leg even if he is healthy again. We need another face of the franchise for the next decade or more and these type of QB's rarely come along. Easy easy decision.

So we nab him based on hype ? What ensures he's this generational player even though he hasn't been exposed to NFL defenses, hasn't been on a NFL field of play, let alone life in the NFL, which is known to chew up Heisman winners and spit em out. I'd bet on #18 playin his *** off for a few years & at least makin some serious runs for SB than Luck being the face of this franchise. What if he doesn't pan out, & what hole do we dig ourselves in team wise ? Why are people so ready replace him even though his value is unprecedented ? Explain this logic

So we nab him based on hype ? What ensures he's this generational player even though he hasn't been exposed to NFL defenses, hasn't been on a NFL field of play, let alone life in the NFL, which is known to chew up Heisman winners and spit em out. I'd bet on #18 playin his *** off for a few years & at least makin some serious runs for SB than Luck being the face of this franchise. What if he doesn't pan out, & what hole do we dig ourselves in team wise ? Why are people so ready replace him even though his value is unprecedented ? Explain this logic

Yes!I can't believe just how unloyal our fanbase really is!They have a short attention span i guess.He's the greatest football player...EVER.Let that sink in,before we start the whole trade him away for a third round pick garbage.He's earn the right to be a colt for life and walk away on his own terms.This guy is going to remain within our community for years,even after retirement,...heck maybe even become our head coach one day.And the vast majority of you people(i said you people...hahaha) want to kick him to the curb or stick'em up on craigslist like an old sofa.It sickens me and i'm glad he doesn't read the trash that they post about him here.

yep, what Jaric said was wrong....

Fixed it for you.

At any rate, Peyton doesn't decide what happens. Though I'm sure his opinion is taken into consideration, and with lots of respect. Ultimately, the decision belongs to the front office.

Some key points that will affect whether or not we draft Luck should we have the #1 pick:

-Manning's health, obviously.

-Where we finish in relation to the Dolphins, Seahawks, and/or Redskins.

-If we want to go for Super Bowls now, or hope they will happen in 5 years.

If Manning's healthy, and we draft Luck, we are basically saying that the remainder of Manning's career isn't worth going all-out for, in terms of obtaining hardware.The best case scenario, and the right thing to do, is to put forth every effort possible to send him off with as many Championships as can be had. Luck contributes nothing to that.

For those who keep saying, "Manning's aging every day," or, "Nothing guarantees he'd make another team a contender": you are reaching really far just to back your (ridiculous) stance on Luck. Of course Manning's getting older. Strangely, his production hasn't dropped off. He still puts up 4000+ and 30+ despite the team around him falling apart. And he's done it in the most recent years despite having a nagging nerve condition in his neck and throwing arm. If this surgery indeed fixed it, he will build strength in his throwing arm (and thus returning his long ball to form), and he'll be able to condition himself properly without fear of damaging his neck.

The people who argue that he doesn't guarantee another team becomes a contender should we trade him also contest that we have a terrible team around him. The worst, in fact. If that's true, going to any other team would be an upgrade for him then. If he can take the worst team in football to the playoffs 9 times in a row, and reach two Super Bowls along the way, he'll go undefeated with any other team.

Look man, you just kind of answered the question even if you don't want to admit it. Painter is not the next Colts QB. Not even his mom thinks so.

So if they are in a position to draft Luck they will do it because:

1) They need the next franchise QB even if Manning is OK.

2) They need the next franchise QB especially if Manning is not healthy

or

If they are in a position to draft luck they will decline because:

Manning is healthy and they decided to trade the pick for multiple selections from a QB needy team

Either of those scenarios are possible to happen but the one thing that neither has? Anything to do with Curtis Painter

You dont understand, it has everything to do with painter... here's a question... do the colts need a starter at QB? answer is no they have peyton. What the colts are looking for is a good backup QB.. they have been doing that last year when they were thinking of drafting Andy dalton, and before with drew stanton...

If painter plays like a starting QB the colts wont draft luck.. that is why polian said painter is playing for his job.

Fixed it for you.

At any rate, Peyton doesn't decide what happens. Though I'm sure his opinion is taken into consideration, and with lots of respect. Ultimately, the decision belongs to the front office.

Some key points that will affect whether or not we draft Luck should we have the #1 pick:

-Manning's health, obviously.

-Where we finish in relation to the Dolphins, Seahawks, and/or Redskins.

-If we want to go for Super Bowls now, or hope they will happen in 5 years.

If Manning's healthy, and we draft Luck, we are basically saying that the remainder of Manning's career isn't worth going all-out for, in terms of obtaining hardware.The best case scenario, and the right thing to do, is to put forth every effort possible to send him off with as many Championships as can be had. Luck contributes nothing to that.

For those who keep saying, "Manning's aging every day," or, "Nothing guarantees he'd make another team a contender": you are reaching really far just to back your (ridiculous) stance on Luck. Of course Manning's getting older. Strangely, his production hasn't dropped off. He still puts up 4000+ and 30+ despite the team around him falling apart. And he's done it in the most recent years despite having a nagging nerve condition in his neck and throwing arm. If this surgery indeed fixed it, he will build strength in his throwing arm (and thus returning his long ball to form), and he'll be able to condition himself properly without fear of damaging his neck.

The people who argue that he doesn't guarantee another team becomes a contender should we trade him also contest that we have a terrible team around him. The worst, in fact. If that's true, going to any other team would be an upgrade for him then. If he can take the worst team in football to the playoffs 9 times in a row, and reach two Super Bowls along the way, he'll go undefeated with any other team.

There are merits to both sides of that argument - if Manning is healthy.