Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Way Peyton Lets Colts Draft Luck, Says Phil Simms

You dont understand, it has everything to do with painter... here's a question... do the colts need a starter at QB? answer is no they have peyton. What the colts are looking for is a good backup QB.. they have been doing that last year when they were thinking of drafting Andy dalton, and before with drew stanton...

If painter plays like a starting QB the colts wont draft luck.. that is why polian said painter is playing for his job.

You make me want to beat my head against the wall.

Luck and Painter have nothing in common as it would relate to the Colts. There will be no decision made where Indy passes on Luck because they have Curtis Freaking Painter. I cannot stress that enough.

Now if Manning is healthy, the decision could be let's draft (insert random college QB not name Luck, or even Landry Jones, or Griffin) - how about Kellen Moore for purposes of this discussion - because they may decide they need a better back up.

Is that any clearer?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure thing. I can see it now...

Jim Irsay: Hey, Peyton, you know we all love you, but all good things must end. You've done a lot for us, and before you're done we'd like you to help us out one more time. We'd like you to mentor our next QB.

Peyton Manning: **** off, Jim.

Jim Irsay: But we've already drafted him. He's a good kid. A ton of physical talent. He can carry on a winning legacy you instilled in this franchise.

Peyton Manning: **** off, Jim.

Jim Irsay: All we want you to do is let him take some reps in practice, and maybe play him late in games when we have built a comfortable lead... I mean it would be best for the team to be able to transition from one best quarterback in the league to another....

Peyton Manning: **** off, Jim. I don't care about this team, or it winning without me or any of that crap. I just want to get paid. Nevermind that mentoring Luck and letting him handle some of my workload would actually technically increase what I make by decreasing the amount of work I have to do... I won't do it, Jim, and I'll murder you in your sleep if you try and make me.

Sure, entirely logical.

If Peyton took "The Decision" sitting down (and he did) then he wouldn't object to us asking him to help out our future QB. Peyton is a company man. What they request, he complies.

You make a valid, though sarcastic point. But "The Decision," and what happens next year, are two different situations. This one involves how Peyton will go out. Does he go out like Elway: a team being put around him to win some championships for the city, and the GOAT? Or does he go out like Steve Young: he won one, but was never able to accomplish it again because the team spent money improperly, and he eventually just faded away? The former is considered, by many, to be in the GOAT discussion; the latter, is not. Peyton won't be there without more Rings; as unjust as that is, you know it's true. The Colts winning ways, and their legacy, will be more secure with Super Bowls than hoping to have a face in a few years.

Once again we have all seen first hand this year how big a difference one great QB can make in the WIN/LOSS column. I know Luck hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet but he is being touted by almost everybody as being one of those once in a decade type players. Those Manning, Elway, Marino type players. You can't afford NOT to take him. We don't like to think about it but Peyton is on his last leg even if he is healthy again. We need another face of the franchise for the next decade or more and these type of QB's rarely come along. Easy easy decision.

You most certainly can afford not to take him. He costs money to not contribute a thing. It's worth going $24 million in the hole for someone in the hopes they can keep us in the playoffs 3-4 years from now?

You don't draft a #1 overall pick with the intention of sitting him down. That's a waste of money, and a waste of the kid's talent.

Edited by doogansquest

Yes!I can't believe just how unloyal our fanbase really is!They have a short attention span i guess.He's the greatest football player...EVER.Let that sink in,before we start the whole trade him away for a third round pick garbage.He's earn the right to be a colt for life and walk away on his own terms.This guy is going to remain within our community for years,even after retirement,...heck maybe even become our head coach one day.And the vast majority of you people(i said you people...hahaha) want to kick him to the curb or stick'em up on craigslist like an old sofa.It sickens me and i'm glad he doesn't read the trash that they post about him here.

+1. What are the Colts if not a group of players? I understand that a lot of you are fans of the Colts as a team, but teams are made up of players, and the best player, hands down, to ever put on a Colts jersey is Peyton Manning. Honestly, what person has done more for the good of this team than Manning? I can't think of anyone. You love him when things are going great, but at the first rough patch in his career, you write him off as a has been and want to bring in his replacement rather than put pieces around him? Fickle, indeed.

You make a valid, though sarcastic point. But "The Decision," and what happens next year, are two different situations. This one involves how Peyton will go out. Does he go out like Elway: a team being put around him to win some championships for the city, and the GOAT? Or does he go out like Steve Young: he won one, but was never able to accomplish it again because the team spent money improperly, and he eventually just faded away? The former is considered, by many, to be in the GOAT discussion; the latter, is not. Peyton won't be there without more Rings; as unjust as that is, you know it's true. The Colts winning ways, and their legacy, will be more secure with Super Bowls than hoping to have a face in a few years.

You most certainly can afford not to take him. He costs money to not contribute a thing. It's worth going $24 million in the hole for someone in the hopes they can keep us in the playoffs 3-4 years from now?

You don't draft a #1 overall pick with the intention of sitting him down. That's a waste of money, and a waste of the kid's talent.

Why not? Where is it written that the No. 1 pick has to start his first season? Isn't the point of the draft to take the best players available that will help your franchise long term? Most No. 1 QB picks are forced into playing their first year because the team has no other option, we are not in that position, we can draft Luck, let him learn for a couple of seasons and then get him in to play for the next decade plus.

This is false. Luck's cost is rookie wage implemented... it would be well worth taking him for Peyton's last 2 years of play here, and every NFL pundit says he is a STEAL, a 1/2 off price for the talent that he provides. Who else is going to take over for the Colts when Manning retires in 2 years?

This is false. Luck's cost is rookie wage implemented... it would be well worth taking him for Peyton's last 2 years of play here, and every NFL pundit says he is a STEAL, a 1/2 off price for the talent that he provides. Who else is going to take over for the Colts when Manning retires in 2 years?

And you know that Peyton Manning will retire in 2 years??????????????? Oh yeah, no you don't.

And you know that Peyton Manning will retire in 2 years??????????????? Oh yeah, no you don't.

Yes, i do. The writing is on the wall. only you cannot see it. Besides, even if he does stick with us for another 2-3 years we are doing him a disservice. His last hope for another Superbowl ring is not with the Colts. This team needs to rebuild, we are that awful. Maybe we squeak by 8-8 or 9-7 just because of Manning, but i respect him too much for us to drag him down.

Yes, i do. The writing is on the wall. only you cannot see it. Besides, even if he does stick with us for another 2-3 years we are doing him a disservice. His last hope for another Superbowl ring is not with the Colts. This team needs to rebuild, we are that awful. Maybe we squeak by 8-8 or 9-7 just because of Manning, but i respect him too much for us to drag him down.

Hmmmm... if you cannot see it, then you don't know. And we can be great these next few years if we draft correctly this year. I don't think we will get the 1st pick so I won't argue with you about how bad of a choice it would be to waste a pick on Andrew Luck. We will probably (look, I put probably because I don't know everything) get the 2nd or 3rd pick, but how we use it or trade it for other draft picks is very important. If we hit on next years draft then we will be in position to return back to the colts of this past decade!

Hmmmm... if you cannot see it, then you don't know. And we can be great these next few years if we draft correctly this year. I don't think we will get the 1st pick so I won't argue with you about how bad of a choice it would be to waste a pick on Andrew Luck. We will probably (look, I put probably because I don't know everything) get the 2nd or 3rd pick, but how we use it or trade it for other draft picks is very important. If we hit on next years draft then we will be in position to return back to the colts of this past decade!

If we can get another superbowl in 2-3 years then all in will be worth it. but if not, it just feels like this is the fork in road for the future of the Colts. could go either way. If we mess up this draft and continue to fail, its just so frustrating.

If we can get another superbowl in 2-3 years then all in will be worth it. but if not, it just feels like this is the fork in road for the future of the Colts. could go either way. If we mess up this draft and continue to fail, its just so frustrating.

When I draft, I don't draft the players to fail hahaha, that's what your missing. If we draft right, like I know we can, then we can win the Super Bowl next year.

But Polian has a history of drafting wrong, its what I'm afraid of. :(

I know what you mean, but I believe that he can get it under track and land a 2nd straight year of top notch talent for us. :) I just feel that if we could get my draft that I posted on Jason's Dream Draft, then we would be set. :) The nice part about drafting this year is that we will be drafting early and often if we do our trades right, so it will be easier for us to fix the areas of need on our team with just one draft.

Saying any team he goes to is an instant SB contender is a stretch. What if his neck isn't better and he is never the same again. I know though everybody's opiniOn is awful and yours is awesome. Anything I say you will just twist it to your liking. I could say my second favorite color is red and you would say why do you hate red. I refuse to try and get my point across to you.

so if peyton goes to either miami or denver they would super bowl contenders

How is it to expensive? Also Luck wouldn't come in and start in 2012 unless Peyton was physically unable. He would sit and learn from Peyton in 2012 and 2013 and then probably take over in 2014 when Peyton either retires, is traded or agrees to move to the backup role.

How will he be too expensive? The number 1 pick gets at around 20 mil. So hes gonna make three mil or more a year. And peytons gonna make his staggering contract. Thats too much money to have invested in two qbs. And this nonesense of luck sitting behind peyton a few yrs. Are you ppl crazy? When was the laat time the number one pick sat behind anyone their rookie year? Its absurd to think hes gonna sit!

How will he be too expensive? The number 1 pick gets at around 20 mil. So hes gonna make three mil or more a year. And peytons gonna make his staggering contract. Thats too much money to have invested in two qbs. And this nonesense of luck sitting behind peyton a few yrs. Are you ppl crazy? When was the laat time the number one pick sat behind anyone their rookie year? Its absurd to think hes gonna sit!

The last one was JaMarcus Russell in '07...though I think most people would agree that A: he wasn't really deserving of the #1 pick and B: he was drafted based on projected potential because everyone and their brother knew he wasn't pro-ready.

Prior to that was Carson Palmer in '03, but he only sat for 1 full year.

Michael Vick is the only other and he also only sat for one year. So that's three #1 overall picks since 2000 that did not start day one and each of these sat, at most, for one full year. Hopefully you see that I agree with you but you'll still get many people arguing that this is nonsense and doesn't matter and that Luck will be happy as a kid in a candy store to sit for 3-4 years because he's already bosom buddies with Peyton and he'll be able to learn from the best (though if he is in fact the best overall prospect since Elway then what does he have to learn that's going to take 3-4 years? IDK). He won't be upset at all about sitting on the bench for the first 1/4 of his career.

Edited by Jason

If we pick Luck, he will get cca. 6 mill/year. We can probably afford this amount of money. But still, he will be the 3rd highest paid person on the roster, without taking a snap. How would Wayne, Mathis, Collie, Clark, etc. react to this? We have heard Reggie-s opinion about Luck, stating that no matter the hype, any player is an unproven rookie until he proves the opposite on field.

They will probably never complain about this loudly, but there is something called moral, which is a big factor in every team sport.

If we pick Luck, he will get cca. 6 mill/year. We can probably afford this amount of money. But still, he will be the 3rd highest paid person on the roster, without taking a snap. How would Wayne, Mathis, Collie, Clark, etc. react to this? We have heard Reggie-s opinion about Luck, stating that no matter the hype, any player is an unproven rookie until he proves the opposite on field.

They will probably never complain about this loudly, but there is something called moral, which is a big factor in every team sport.

I really wish people would stop trying to predict how the other players on the team would react to drafting Luck or anybody else. Who freakin cares how they feel. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Wayne and Mathis weren't even here next yr. and this is a business. You do whats best for the team and the future (no matter who they feel it is) and if certain players have a problem with it, then they can be replaced. It's as simple as that.

Edited by Balzer40

I really wish people would stop trying to predict how the other players on the team would react to drafting Luck or anybody else. Who freakin cares how they feel. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Wayne and Mathis weren't even here next yr. and this is a business. You do whats best for the team and the future (no matter who they feel it is) and if certain players have a problem with it, then they can be replaced. It's as simple as that.

If they plan to resign Wayne and Mathis then they'd better at least take it into consideration. Even Chris Carter brought the point up and compared it to when Minnesota drafted Culpepper. He exercised an out-clause and left the team the following season. So again, it all depends on if they want to keep guys like Wayne and Mathis around or not. Even then there's no guarantee the vets would have a problem with it, but it's certainly a possibility.

I think that people are forgetting about Green Bay and Mr. Rodgers is that GB has a really good defense! They are at the top of the NFL in turnovers caused. This is why they have been successful. Mr. rodgers is good but without a great defense that causes turnovers you are the colts with PM! If PM is healthy you rebuild your defense and get a couple more chances at Super Bowls!

I don't think that you just tell Peyton Manning hey sorry buddy eventhough you made football revelant in indiana, we are not going to listen to you and you can walk. If anybody thinks that Luck will be as good as PM you are mistaken! So saying that if he is not it will not matter because you won't be in the playoffs anyways with this defense!

If they plan to resign Wayne and Mathis then they'd better at least take it into consideration. Even Chris Carter brought the point up and compared it to when Minnesota drafted Culpepper. He exercised an out-clause and left the team the following season. So again, it all depends on if they want to keep guys like Wayne and Mathis around or not. Even then there's no guarantee the vets would have a problem with it, but it's certainly a possibility.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but if this front office let's current players on the roster influence them on who they do or don't draft, then this team will go so far down the crapper they won't won't be able to pull theirselves out till Irsay finally wises up and fires the Polians.

Edited by Balzer40

I don't think that you just tell Peyton Manning hey sorry buddy eventhough you made football revelant in indiana, we are not going to listen to you and you can walk. If anybody thinks that Luck will be as good as PM you are mistaken! So saying that if he is not it will not matter because you won't be in the playoffs anyways with this defense!

Just like the Luck haters say "You don't know Luck will be great", You also can not say, "Luck won't be as good as Manning". You have no idea that he won't be as good as Manning or even better than him. He may not be as good as Peyton, but then again he may be the best QB to ever play the game. And yes, If I was Irsay, I would tell Peyton that he didn't have any say in who we draft. Like it or not, thats the way it has to be. I was a fan of the Colts long before Manning showed up in Indy and I'll be a fan long after he's gone. There are many here on this forum that are admittedly "Manning fans" and that is where their loyalties are at, I am a fan of the team and the horseshoe. I don't care who wears the uniform because that is who I root for, not a specific player.

Edited by Balzer40

If it's just a business, then you can go and become a fan of the New England Patriots because that's how they run things. The colts are loyal to their players and that is far superior than the "it's just business" crap that you people spout off on.

Just like the Luck haters say "You don't know Luck will be great", You also can not say, "Luck won't be as good as Manning". You have no idea that he won't be as good as Manning or even better than him. He may not be as good as Peyton, but then again he may be the best QB to ever play the game. And yes, If I was Irsay, I would tell Peyton that he didn't have any say in who we draft. Like it or not, thats the way it has to be. I was a fan of the Colts long before Manning showed up in Indy and I'll be a fan long after he's gone. There are many here on this forum that are admittedly "Manning fans" and that is where their loyalties are at, I am a fan of the team and the horseshoe. I don't care who wears the uniform because that is who I root for, not a specific player.

Lol at least make a reasonable argument. We can draft Tevin Washington, the option quarterback out of Georgia Tech and say "he may be the best ever." I can't believe I am hearing this, what a pathetic argument you make...

Lol at least make a reasonable argument. We can draft Tevin Washington, the option quarterback out of Georgia Tech and say "he may be the best ever." I can't believe I am hearing this, what a pathetic argument you make...

I was making a rebuttel to the original ridiculous statement that was made in the post I was referring too. That was kind of the point and if you had any common sense you would have seen that. So what a pathetic attempt at ridicule on your part. *

Edited by Balzer40

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but if this front office let's current players on the roster influence them on who they do or don't draft, then this team will go so far down the crapper they won't won't be able to pull theirselves out till Irsay finally wises up and fires the Polians.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should take a player vote and let that be the determining factor or anything like that. But at the same time, I have no doubt they do take locker room chemistry and team morale into consideration when considering such an important decision as how to spend a top draft pick.

I also agree to a point about this being a business, but it's very clearly a family business so there's more emotion involved than just your standard money-making business. Hence the reason the Colts tend to show more loyalty to a lot of their players than many other teams do. Like I said in another thread, if the colts do get #1 pick, the decision could wind up being made based on whether Irsay wants to go out swinging with Peyton or draft the franchise QB for his daughter for when she takes over ownership in a couple of years...assuming Big Jim sticks to the agreement he made with her that he retires with Peyton and the team becomes hers.

If it's just a business, then you can go and become a fan of the New England Patriots because that's how they run things. The colts are loyal to their players and that is far superior than the "it's just business" crap that you people spout off on.

Grow up little boy!

I was making a rebuttel to the original ridiculous statement that was made in the post I was referring too. That was kind of the point and if you had any common sense you would have seen that. So what a pathetic attempt at ridicule on your part. *

Or by your incompetent logic we can grab Northen Ilinoirs quarterback and maybe he can be "the best ever." According to you, we will at least get a Kurt Warner out of him. You sir, make no sense and need to use you head and think for once.

Or by your incompetent logic we can grab Northen Ilinoirs quarterback and maybe he can be "the best ever." According to you, we will at least get a Kurt Warner out of him. You sir, make no sense and need to use you head and think for once.

It seems like logic has completely passed you by. In no way shape or form was I just saying any old QB could become the best ever. You are missing the point completely and maybe there is a good medical reason for that, I don't know, but its obvious that going back and forth with you isn't going anywhere because you are just not capable of understanding simple common sense.

It seems like logic has completely passed you by. In no way shape or form was I just saying any old QB could become the best ever. You are missing the point completely and maybe there is a good medical reason for that, I don't know, but its obvious that going back and forth with you isn't going anywhere because you are just not capable of understanding simple common sense.

Lol you are fun to argue with. I like Tevin and all but there is almost no way that he will become as good as Peyton Manning. I'm just picking a QB like you picked Luck and saying the same thing about him. :)

If he lead a bad team to a SB twice, he can lead a normal to a decent team to a SB as well.

darnit this isn't a bad team. The notion this is a 1 man team is some sensationalist crap from the media. The problem is this team doesn't even have a average QB (active). Every good team needs a capable QB to be good, on defense and offense. Even great defensive teams or power running teams have had a capable QB.

There is a difference between a bad team and a team with a terrible QB.

If you wanna point at bad secondary play and O-line play, fine. Its true there's holes in those positions but they get magnified when there's a bad QB under center.

$6 million a year at least for a backup? What a waste, especially what we can get instead of him.

$6 million a year at least for a backup? What a waste, especially what we can get instead of him.

not a waste! It is a steal. You just dont understand.. but because of the imposed rookie salary we would get the opportunity to draft our next franchise QB for very cheap. Yes, you've already proved you hate Luck. But we shall see who is on the right side of history in a couple of years. Manning plays for a year while we have Luck. We assess our future with both... then will probably trade Manning in another year. Its the business side of the NFL.

not a waste! It is a steal. You just dont understand.. but because of the imposed rookie salary we would get the opportunity to draft our next franchise QB for very cheap. Yes, you've already proved you hate Luck. But we shall see who is on the right side of history in a couple of years. Manning plays for a year while we have Luck. We assess our future with both... then will probably trade Manning in another year. Its the business side of the NFL.

The colts are not a team of business, they are a team a loyalty and high morals. You'd think that people on this website would realize that after having a strong christian head coach in Tony Dungy for the past decade... It's why players want to resign with us, they like playing for the colts. Reggie Wayne took less than he could have gotten elsewhere and look at where it has gotten him, a Super Bowl and a very successful team. Loyalty rewards players and the team that employs them.