Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF grades vs Jags

HtownColt

@TylerDBrooke: Highest graded offensive #Colts players this week from @PFF: Thornton (+3.1), Hilton (+2.5), Castonzo (+2.1). Lowest: Linkenbach (-3.4), Saunders (-1.4)

@TylerDBrooke: Best Colts defensive players were Mathis (+5.0), Freeman (+4.5), Walden (+2.2). Lowest: Moala (-1.3), Mathews/Studebaker/Johnson (-1.0)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks...   Thornton has been schooled under fire and he may be heading the right direction and the timing is great hope he continues his improvement through out the Post Season

I really like Thornton. I know a few here don't and will be very vocal about it. I think(IMO) he has been playing through injury for a while now. And is finally getting healthy along with getting more experience. I hope he continues to get better in the future.

I really like Thornton. I know a few here don't and will be very vocal about it. I think(IMO) he has been playing through injury for a while now. And is finally getting healthy along with getting more experience. I hope he continues to get better in the future.

me too... I have wondered why we didn't / haven't played him @ RG his more natural position... but the coaches see and know more than us ... if he does go over to RG next year I would think it would make him even stronger ... 

Well this past draft hasn't been great for Grigs, but Bjoern Werner and Hugh Thornton are looking like they will be good players in the near future

i don't know about that. Hughes and Thornton seem to be progressing. I think Thornton is going to be very good

If Werner picks it up, the draft will have been fine

I will throw my hat in with you as well.  I have liked Thornton from the very first pre-season game.  His movement at his size is fantastic.  Where is improvement has come from the last few games he has played is keeping his head on a swivel.  In college the defenses are a lot less complicated than an NFL D and Thornton had a tendency to get tunnel vision once he was engaged with a defender.  The last couple of weeks he has been much better at keeping track of his defender while still "looking around" and he's making better decisions on when to release his defender to pick up someone else or stay with his defender.

The PFF grades kind of confirm what I saw during the game, Thornton played well, (Holmes played at guard for at least one play in place of Thornton and did well), Link is still bad, although he did play better than McGlynn at guard and Satele looks a lot better when he has average to good guard play around him..  I hope the Colts spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on another guard next year.  Thomas is good but, like other players with injury histories he just cannot be counted on for a full season.

Well this past draft hasn't been great for Grigs, but Bjoern Werner and Hugh Thornton are looking like they will be good players in the near future

The picks on this past draft are just taking a little longer to develope than last years. I don't think you're going to see immediate return on a draft like last years very often. But the way Werner, Thorton, Holmes, keep progressing, I think this draft will still be good. Heck even Hughes has shown flashes.

i don't know about that. Hughes and Thornton seem to be progressing. I think Thornton is going to be very good

If Werner picks it up, the draft will have been fine

I've noticed Werner a lot more recently with the swatted passes and the couple sacks here in recent games. Seems to be progressing!

The picks on this past draft are just taking a little longer to develope than last years. I don't think you're going to see immediate return on a draft like last years very often. But the way Werner, Thorton, Holmes, keep progressing, I think this draft will still be good. Heck even Hughes has shown flashes.

Most of our picks this year were projects of some sort. It's still not completely obvious who will pan out but I think this will end up being a good draft.

Can you post the splits for the offensive linemen, pass blocking vs run blocking?

For the whole season:

Cherilus: +10.3 pass block, -1.9 run block, 4 sacks, 12 hits and 29 hurries

Castanzo: -0.1 pass block, +7.6 run block,4 sacks, 8 hits, 38 hurries

McGlynn: -12.8 pass block, -10.8 run block, 4 sacks, 11 hits, 26 hurries

Thornton: -14.5 pass block, -3.0 run block, 7 sacks, 16 hits, 14 hurries

Satele: -0.2 pass block, -13.2 run block, 1 sack, 8 hits, 6 hurries

Reitz: +1.9 pass block, +2.6 run block, 0 sacks, 0 hits, 2 hurries

Link: -2.9 pass block, -6.4 run block, 2 sacks, 2 hits, 12 hurries

Guest TeamLoloJones

For the whole season:

It's amazing how close those numbers (in relation to each other) are to the casual fan's eye test.

For the whole season:

Thank you. (Where's Thomas?)

I think the key to our offensive line taking the next step is what we do at center and right guard. According to PFF, Cherilus isn't great blocking the run. We need a right guard who is. Can that be Thornton? He's the wild card.

And there's still a big question mark at center, where I get the feeling we're going to give Holmes a shot. I'd like to see us grab a couple of veteran backups who can start if necessary (it's time we found our Matt Slauson or Brian de la Puente, cheap vet who plays great on a one year deal while we groom young guys).

For the whole season:

McGlynn...lol

Thank you. (Where's Thomas?)

I think the key to our offensive line taking the next step is what we do at center and right guard. According to PFF, Cherilus isn't great blocking the run. We need a right guard who is. Can that be Thornton? He's the wild card.

And there's still a big question mark at center, where I get the feeling we're going to give Holmes a shot. I'd like to see us grab a couple of veteran backups who can start if necessary (it's time we found our Matt Slauson or Brian de la Puente, cheap vet who plays great on a one year deal while we groom young guys).

Sorry here's Thomas:

Pass block: +0.3, run block +1.1, 0 sacks, 1 hit, 2 hurries.

Keep in kind that he only played 72 snaps and the grades aren't normalized by how many snaps they played, so this is pretty good for only a handful of plays.

Sorry here's Thomas:

Pass block: +0.3, run block +1.1, 0 sacks, 1 hit, 2 hurries.

Keep in kind that he only played 72 snaps and the grades aren't normalized by how many snaps they played, so this is pretty good for only a handful of plays.

Right, it's not a weighted average, it's just tally marks. Good job by Thomas.

Vontae Davis finished the year with the 2nd highest coverage grade in the NFL among cornerbacks. (+12.8)

Davis had a kind of up and down year. He was lights out till the bye. Then he was pretty shaky for a few weeks, and came back alive in the second half of the Bengals game. Up to the bye week he was, IMO, the best defensive player in the league. 

And he didn't need any fancy pharmaceuticals to do it. (Looking at you here, Seattle...) 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Vontae Davis finished the year with the 2nd highest coverage grade in the NFL among cornerbacks. (+12.8)

Don't tell his agent that.