Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the Bengals might tank for the #4 seed?

chad72

I'm throwing out this scenario.

Going to Foxboro is overall more challenging than going to Denver, for various reasons.

So, if I am the Bengals, if I play at full strength and lose to the Ravens, and if both Ravens and Dolphins finish at 9-7, Ravens hold the tie-breaker to get in as the #6 seed by virtue of their head-to-head 26-23 win. So, the Bengals might end up playing the Ravens again.

Would I, as the Bengals team lose to the Ravens by resting starters, so that I get slotted vs the Chiefs at home in a #4 vs #5 matchup instead of a #3 vs #6 matchup vs Ravens?

They can control getting the #4 seed but they cannot control getting the #2 seed.

Out of the wild cards, it suddenly seems like the Chiefs are the best option to face. :)

They're not going to purposely lose a game when they still have a chance at a 1st round bye. It just doesn't make sense.

They're not going to purposely lose a game when they still have a chance at a 1st round bye. It just doesn't make sense.

Lets hope it stays that way because I want the Colts to stay put at #4. :)

I just realized both the Bengals-Ravens and Dolphins-Jets games are both slotted for 1 PM ET along with Colts-Jaguars making #3 and #4 seeds play early in the AFC.

Then, the Broncos and Pats both play in the 4:25 p.m ET slot.

You actually think the Pats are losing to the Bills in Foxboro with the possible first and definite second seed on the line?  

I love the fact that fans of other teams hate the Patriots so much that they watch their regular season games vs. sub-par teams hoping they lose.  

You actually think the Pats are losing to the Bills in Foxboro with the possible first and definite second seed on the line?

I love the fact that fans of other teams hate the Patriots so much that they watch their regular season games vs. sub-par teams hoping they lose.

Umm no, but the Bengals aren't going to lose a game on purpose when they still have a shot at a bye. That was my point.

The insecurity of you Patriots fans is hilarious.

I don't think they'd tank either.  I just think that there's little to no chance the BIlls win this game, rendering the result of Cincinnati's game meaningless even if it is a 1 o clock game.  And I'm not one of those cocky Pats fans either that thinks they're unbeatable.  Lord knows the Giants and Ravens other than last week have proven that idea wrong in key moments.  They just aren't losing to Buffalo, a team they own, in Foxboro, with what's at stake, so what Cincinnati does is irrelevant.

I still don't trust Andy Dalton and Marvin Lewis anyway though against any team they face in the playoffs.

Also, the insecurity comment is funny considering Colts fans defend their former QB's every move as if he were their own son and try to put down other great QBs to feel better.

Nope. The NFL, through some smart scheduling, has done a good job this season of "Polian-Proofing" the final week of games.  ;)

All of the playoff teams will be going full-tilt, sans the Chiefs. Nothing to gain/lose there. 

The Patriots probably benefit as well, as they will know by kickoff if either the Bengals or Colts are nipping at their heels... while it would be nice to steal the #1 seed from Denver, I can't see them losing in Oakland. So that will determine if some dinged-up guys (Talib, for one) see a lot of action, a little action, etc. 

I'm throwing out this scenario.

Going to Foxboro is overall more challenging than going to Denver, for various reasons.

So, if I am the Bengals, if I play at full strength and lose to the Ravens, and if both Ravens and Dolphins finish at 9-7, Ravens hold the tie-breaker to get in as the #6 seed by virtue of their head-to-head 26-23 win. So, the Bengals might end up playing the Ravens again.

Would I, as the Bengals team lose to the Ravens by resting starters, so that I get slotted vs the Chiefs at home in a #4 vs #5 matchup instead of a #3 vs #6 matchup vs Ravens?

Dear God...

Nope. The NFL, through some smart scheduling, has done a good job this season of "Polian-Proofing" the final week of games.  ;)

All of the playoff teams will be going full-tilt, sans the Chiefs. Nothing to gain/lose there. 

The Patriots probably benefit as well, as they will know by kickoff if either the Bengals or Colts are nipping at their heels... while it would be nice to steal the #1 seed from Denver, I can't see them losing in Oakland. So that will determine if some dinged-up guys (Talib, for one) see a lot of action, a little action, etc.

Not every team has the guts to try a Doug Flutie drop kick in the final regular season game ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills won.  I do believe the Pats will win and I pick the Pats but I think it will be close.  The odds say it should be a close game...why?  Because the Pats played nail biters already against these teams...

Bills - Close game, Pats won.

Jets - Pats went 1-1.

Dolphins - Pats went 1-1, both games were close.

Bengals - Pats lost.

Browns - Close game.

Texans - Close game.