Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Is The Bigger Media Darling, Manning Or Brady?

King Colt

On the less serious side of the debate about these two that will go on forever I think Manning is by far the bigger ham being on SNL (and very good), Buick and Pappa Johns commercials (every 15 minutes), etc. He seems to be like by everyone in all aspects not just sports. Brady seems much more private other than the hairstyle issues and women you don't hear or see much of him.

Manning is when it comes to sponsorship money.  Manning makes the most money in the NFL with sponsorship deals than any other player.

Manning has a better personality for entertainment and is more funny and more likeable.  I find Manning more likeable than Brady.  Manning did a tv promo on ESPN with Will Ferrell for Anchorman 2 recently.

Manning is better with reporters and makes himself more available to the media.  I think some of that has to do with the "Patriot Way" where Belichick wants all his players to be very distant from the press and not give much out and keep Patriots' players robotic. That's why I do find Aquib Talib a bit refreshing as he shows more personality in the locker room to the press.

Manning is more popular than Brady.  Manning is never voted among the league's most hated players but Brady is.

Brady might be more respected by some sports reporters and members of the media.  The media and some fans want to say: "Manning has the stats but Brady has the rings and post season performance."

With regards to how Brady markets himself, in some ways it's sort of like Derek Jeter and Jay Cutler with being more of that European Armani style.  I think that turns off sports fans who want their athletes to be "tough guys" who appear in Wrangler jeans commercials. 

On the less serious side of the debate about these two that will go on forever I think Manning is by far the bigger ham being on SNL (and very good), Buick and Pappa Johns commercials (every 15 minutes), etc. He seems to be like by everyone in all aspects not just sports. Brady seems much more private other than the hairstyle issues and women you don't hear or see much of him.

1960 for me . Are we tied ( you say 53 years) or do I have you by a year ?   I'm 64... who wins that one ?

Depends on the week. The sport media changes their minds based on each qb's performance each week. One week Brady is the best ever and the next it's Manning.

Sports media needs rivals..

..and these 2 are perfect....they give you all kinds of made-up controversy...cold weather...wife complaints..

.....rag arm.....ranting at refs.... relatonship withdad and brother......relationship with mad scientist head coach

...they almost admit to competing with each other.....

...and they dont go away ...They're always in the playoffs......what 12 years now?  One of the other every year.

If you ask any non-fan to name an NFL quarterback....it would be Peyton Manning 

If you ask any young female fan to name their favorite NFL player....it would be Tom Brady...

There is no 'bigger'...They are the faces of the NFL

Sports media needs rivals..

..and these 2 are perfect....they give you all kinds of made-up controversy...cold weather...wife complaints..

.....rag arm.....ranting at refs.... relatonship withdad and brother......relationship with mad scientist head coach

...they almost admit to competing with each other.....

...and they dont go away ...They're always in the playoffs......what 12 years now?  One of the other every year.

If you ask any non-fan to name an NFL quarterback....it would be Peyton Manning 

If you ask any young female fan to name their favorite NFL player....it would be Tom Brady...

There is no 'bigger'...They are the faces of the NFL

I live in New England and of course females here like Brady but more because he plays for their local team.  I don't know many women outside NE who like Brady.  I remember when he had a break up with Bridget Moynahan while she was pregnant and he went with a Victoria's Secrets model and women didn't like that.  But I also noticed a lot of hypocrites out there criticizing Brady for that when almost half of children born in this country are out of wedlock.  Brady's personal life was part of People Magazine and still is.  Peyton Manning's personal life is more private than Brady's is.  I can't even remember what Peyton's wife looks like.

Peyton is liked and respected.

Brady is respected but not liked.

Tom Brady has a bit of that Jeff Gordan effect.

But ever notice that male professional athletes who date Hollywood celebrities get booed by fans?  Fan keep booing Kris Humphries and Reggie Bush.

I live in New England and of course females here like Brady but more because he plays for their local team.  I don't know many women outside NE who like Brady.  I remember when he had a break up with Bridget Moynahan while she was pregnant and he went with a Victoria's Secrets model and women didn't like that.  But I also noticed a lot of hypocrites out there criticizing Brady for that when almost half of children born in this country are out of wedlock.  Brady's personal life was part of People Magazine and still is.  Peyton Manning's personal life is more private than Brady's is.  I can't even remember what Peyton's wife looks like.

But ever notice that male professional athletes who date Hollywood celebrities get booed by fans?  Fan keep booing Kris Humphries and Reggie Bush.

Brady is envied more for sure by his peers and fans because of his success, looks and wife. Suggs hates him for these reasons. Although Brady quieted him and his team pretty good on Sunday. :cheer2:

That is because culturally we are trained to blame the male in a relationship for it's failure.  

Also just because half the kids are born out of wedlock in this country doesn't mean you can be critical of a famous person doing the same thing.  Your only a hypocrite if your kids where born out of wedlock or you think for some reason that it's wrong for Brady but ok for someone else.

I think Manning with Brady a close second. They've tried to promote others to know avail. Only Brady and manning are consistent in their longevity and play. Rogers and Brees have never rose to the level of Brady and Manning as the media were expecting. It will be Brady and Manning until they retire. I think Manning leaves a year or two before Brady.

Patsfan said it well:

Manning is liked and respected, while Brady is respected but generally not liked quite as much. He's less accessible and doesn't have the famous family, etc-etc. 

From a media standpoint both guys generally get their due. They have some critics in the media and some cheerleaders, but I'd say they both are mostly held in a favorable light.

I think it depends on what part of the country you live in and what conference your team is in.

We're talking on an AFC Colts' forum where Colts and Pats fans are discussing this.  Colts and Pats have seen this rivalry since 2001 and the Colts use to be in the AFC East.

If you were to talk to fans in the NFC they would say Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo are the most popular because they see those QB's almost every week on their local tv.