Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Predictable.

Dark Superman

This thread completely illustrates exactly what i'm talking about.  Defense playing lights out.  Offense is starting to click and boom!  A thread like this.  Pep is killing it today in comparison to previous games.

I have began to realize that there are people in this world that will never ever be happy

if you want to settle for mediocrity, might as well become a titans fan or become canadian

we are colts fans and demand perfection

Yeah the odd thing is people complained this much when the Colts were 2-14 and now the Colts are 9-5 but yet it's still the same. They actually have a shot at finishing second in the AFC (though it will be tough) and people are still complaining. Fact of the matter is they're missing 5 offensive players and have got off to slow starts and are still 9-5. That's unbelievable to me . I do think the O looks much better with DHB and Satele out of the mix as well. Luck was only sacked once and they have one of the best DLs in the league.

I seriously hope Satele just stays on the sidelines. Our O line is definatley better without him. We can actually move the ball score more than FGs. But knowing the Coaching staff they will probably go back to him when he's healthy.

How many times did Luck get hit in the second half?

That was a classic example of a team trying to run out the 2nd half without a running game. Pretty much just making sure we didn't turn it over and give Houston a cheap one. So very conservative with nothing downfield . Thus you get 3 points by the O in the second half. Probably sound logic as you have a makeshift O line .. why chance Luck getting intercepted or worse yet hurt .. as you bring up ?

How many times did Luck get hit in the second half?

If the Colts score 3 points in the second half then they will not beat good teams. The Colts will play the Kanas City Chiefs twice in 3 weeks and if they score 3 points in the second half again, I can guarantee you they will not win those games.  

If the Colts score 3 points in the second half then they will not beat good teams. The Colts will play the Kanas City Chiefs twice in 3 weeks and if they score 3 points in the second half again, I can guarantee you they will not win those games.

Good thing the Colts scored more than 3 points in the second half huh?

We scored 5. And I think the second half was about not giving the offense away. We had the lead, our D was playing lights out, so Pep decided to experiment, and not reveal more of the playbook for KC next week. I think the Bengals -Steelers game will be the key to what happens. If the Bengals lose, we will probably go all out against KC so we can get a higher seed. If the Bengals win, Pep will hide some of his playbook because we're going to face them again in the playoffs.

Maybe I worded that wrong. If they don't score double-digit points than they will lose.

Better?

Not really because it's just as inaccurate as saying we scored 3 points in the second half lol.

Low scoring games are a thing. Games can end 3-0. You're being too hyperbolic.

We scored 5. And I think the second half was about not giving the offense away. We had the lead, our D was playing lights out, so Pep decided to experiment, and not reveal more of the playbook for KC next week. I think the Bengals -Steelers game will be the key to what happens. If the Bengals lose, we will probably go all out against KC so we can get a higher seed. If the Bengals win, Pep will hide some of his playbook because we're going to face them again in the playoffs.

This is the problem with Pep. Him "hiding" the playbook cost the Colts the dolphins game and almost costed them games against the Broncos and Raiders.

Good offensive coordinators don't "hide" plays. They call their best plays and then switch those plays up during practice. Peyton Manning doesn't "hide" his plays. Opposing teams have years of tape on Peyton and they STILL can't stop him. Why can't Pep do this?

This is the problem with Pep. Him "hiding" the playbook cost the Colts the dolphins game and almost costed them games against the Broncos and Raiders.

Good offensive coordinators don't "hide" plays. They call their best plays and then switch those plays up during practice. Peyton Manning doesn't "hide" his plays. Opposing teams have years of tape on Peyton and they STILL can't stop him. Why can't Pep do this?

I think the Broncos was more of the fact that we had injuries during the game. I didn't watch the Dolphins game, but I heard it was because of a late int and a PI call. Manning is an elite QB. They have tape on him, but there are only a few ways to stop him. And I don't think Pep is exactly hiding plays. I think he's saving his better plays for later.

Not really because it's just as inaccurate as saying we scored 3 points in the second half lol.

Low scoring games are a thing. Games can end 3-0. You're being too hyperbolic.

What are the chances of that happening? The Chiefs put up 56 point today against the Raiders, a team that the Colts only scored 21 against while having Reggie Wayne.

Not saying that the Colts can't win, just saying that they must score a lot more than 3 or 5 points in the second half.

What are the chances of that happening? The Chiefs put up 56 point today against the Raiders, a team that the Colts only scored 21 against while having Reggie Wayne.

Not saying that the Colts can't win, just saying that they must score a lot more than 3 or 5 points in the second half.

Would it be nice? Yes.

Does it have to happen to win? No.

Plenty of ways to win football games that don't involve scoring double digits in the second half.

They will if the hold them to only 3 points through 3 quarters, and only 17 yards in the third quarter. If those things don't happen then I'm willing to bet the colts offensive play calling is different than it was today. They only scored five points and not more because they didn't need more.

Why are people so down on this team? Even when they look great people find something to criticize. It was a great all around win today and yes, we coasted in the 2nd half to a win. The game was practically over at halftime.

because some are here just to show how smart they are and they have deemed Pep to be a failure and they are more interested in being and being able to show how smart they are than they are in honestly seeing the Colts do well. 

Would it be nice? Yes.

Does it have to happen to win? No.

Plenty of ways to win football games that don't involve scoring double digits in the second half.

Maybe against a bad team. But a good team like the Chiefs? They are too good to get blown out. They will make a comeback no matter what the lead is. Peyton Manning knew this. He just kept scoring and the Chiefs never had a chance.

I hope that Pep Hamilton figures it out soon or else our super bowl hopes will be gone.

They will if the hold them to only 3 points through 3 quarters, and only 17 yards in the third quarter. If those things don't happen then I'm willing to bet the colts offensive play calling is different than it was today. They only scored five points and not more because they didn't need more.

"How many more points do they need?"

This question gets asked a lot. The answer is always "MORE" There is no such thing as "We don't need anymore points". Epic comebacks start by the team that's leading saying "We don't need more points".

The Broncos almost made an epic comeback against Colts if not for that fumble at the goal line. That game should have never been that close. "If you keep scoring the other team will never catch up". Some coaches like Belichick and Sean Payton have learned this. Others have not.

This week it was not necessary to pile on the points.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing the colts score every time we get the ball.

This team has proven over and over that when necessary they can put up points in the second half .

I'm glad that today that we didn't need to have a miraculous finish.

We won wth is the problem? 

Maybe against a bad team. But a good team like the Chiefs? They are too good to get blown out. They will make a comeback no matter what the lead is. Peyton Manning knew this. He just kept scoring and the Chiefs never had a chance.

I hope that Pep Hamilton figures it out soon or else our super bowl hopes will be gone.

Do you even realize how many "good teams" have scored less than double digits in the second halfs of their games this year? I can think of dozens. Or how many "good teams" had bad losses?

Patriots not a good team? Cincinnati not a good team? 49ers not a good team?

Like I said, scoring whenever, and in bunches would ideally be amazing, but to pretend like that's the only way to win games is hubris at best.

I get you're trying to make a point to show your displeasure with the O. But this isn't Peyton Manning's Colts. 40+ TDs isn't happening for us this year. We aren't an offensive juggernaut. But we've found ways to win games our way. And that's worth something in the NFL too.

"How many more points do they need?"

This question gets asked a lot. The answer is always "MORE" There is no such thing as "We don't need anymore points". Epic comebacks start by the team that's leading saying "We don't need more points".

The Broncos almost made an epic comeback against Colts if not for that fumble at the goal line. That game should have never been that close. "If you keep scoring the other team will never catch up". Some coaches like Belichick and Sean Payton have learned this. Others have not.

No, it's really not.  Each game, each situation is different.  In that game, Keenum wasn't able to get anything going.  He was sacked 4 times, once for a safety, and intercepted twice.  The CB's were shutting down the Houston WR's. The Hou running game was working decently but that alone was not going to get them 21 pts in the 4th quarter.  

I believe the longest drive the Texans had all game was 42 yards while they also had multiple 3 and outs.  Their drive summary was put on the screen at one point and it was something like: punt, punt, int, fg, int, punt, punt, punt....probably not the right order but 5 punts, 2 INTs and 1 FG.  Our defense shut them down pretty much the entire game and there was really no reason to think that Houston would all of a sudden get things going.  However I'm sure at the first sign of life from the Houston offense and Pep would have changed up his play calling to be a bit more aggressive.