Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Done defending Peyton

Shane Bond

Peyton turns that 2 win team into a 12+ win team. People still pin the loss to the Ravens last playoffs on him somehow. I just don't understand it. There are probably 25+ teams that would be ecstatic to have him as their QB.  

The Broncos could just bring Tebow back I guess?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton turns that 2 win team into a 12+ win team. People still pin the loss to the Ravens last playoffs on him somehow. I just don't understand it. There are probably 25+ teams that would be ecstatic to have him as their QB.

The Broncos could just bring Tebow back I guess?

Some Broncos fans are still mad they got rid of him. I loathe the Broncos. Always have. In a perfect world for me, Peyton would be having the same year he is now, but Denver would be a 2 win team.

What part of do you not understand that he was trying to throw the ball away and his arm was hit  :dunno: You just keep harping on how Manning always throwing picks in the worst possible time it's a shame he's not perfect like you. :popcorn:  You just keep posting the same thing over and over again. :sigh:   post something new next time. :)

What part of Peyton always throwing interceptions at the worst possible times do you not grasp exactly? This pattern goes all the way back to 18's Indy days against Ty Law & Troy Brown vs the Patriots. Let's be honest here okay. 

"... It's a shame he's not perfect like you." Did SW1 ever claim that I was an elite QB or that I never make mistakes? No, I did not. I keep highlighting a pattern that Manning seems to be repeating. If he defies the odds & wins a few Playoffs all the pressure & heat will dissipate & disappear. It's as simple as that. I will give Peyton full credit if he & his team rises above their Playoff woes & mental breakdowns of foolish penalties you have my word. 

The fact of the matter is if there wasn't any grain of truth to what I was saying you wouldn't feel the need to voice your objections because Peyton would be winning games he is supposed to win. 

I will concede that the Chargers offense won the time of possession battle which limited Manning's touches, but once you get the ball you cannot go 3 & out multiple times or throw picks. No excuses anymore. Peyton is considered "the smartest QB in football" & he must cross the SB finish line to earn that title unequivocally leaving no doubt in anyone's mind. 

I am not saying what I am saying to be mean or stroke my own ego as you seem to be implying or inferring. I am merely pointing out that a QB who has been in the NFL for over a decade is not a rookie, cannot be coddled anymore for his early post season exits, & he needs to stop throwing picks at the worst times...I know he is not doing this on purpose. I realize that, but this familiar pattern needs to get broken. Win a Playoff game, get to the SB, & win it. If he gets there, plays a hard fought game & loses I will cut 18 some slack. But, he needs to get to NY/NJ & at least play a tight game at a minimum.

What part of Peyton always throwing interceptions at the worst possible times do you not grasp exactly? This pattern goes all the way back to 18's Indy days against Ty Law & Troy Brown vs the Patriots. Let's be honest here okay. 

"... It's a shame he's not perfect like you." Did SW1 ever claim that I was an elite QB or that I never make mistakes? No, I did not. I keep highlighting a pattern that Manning seems to be repeating. If he defies the odds & wins a few Playoffs all the pressure & heat will dissipate & disappear. It's as simple as that. I will give Peyton full credit if he & his team rises above their Playoff woes & mental breakdowns of foolish penalties you have my word. 

The fact of the matter is if there wasn't any grain of truth to what I was saying you wouldn't feel the need to voice your objections because Peyton would be winning games he is supposed to win. 

I will concede that the Chargers offense won the time of possession battle which limited Manning's touches, but once you get the ball you cannot go 3 & out multiple times or throw picks. No excuses anymore. Peyton is considered "the smartest QB in football" & he must cross the SB finish line to earn that title unequivocally leaving no doubt in anyone's mind. 

I am not saying what I am saying to be mean or stroke my own ego as you seem to be implying or inferring. I am merely pointing out that a QB who has been in the NFL for over a decade is not a rookie, cannot be coddled anymore for his early post season exits, & he needs to stop throwing picks at the worst times...I know he is not doing this on purpose. I realize that, but this familiar pattern needs to get broken. Win a Playoff game, get to the SB, & win it. If he gets there, plays a hard fought game & loses I will cut 18 some slack. But, he needs to get to NY/NJ & at least play a tight game at a minimum.

I bet that will make Peyton feel a lot better if you cut him some slack and he could sleep better tonight. :sarcasm:

By the way this wasn't quoting you so I'm not sure why you decided to get your :2c: in. 

I like you Susie Q & you are certainly free to direct your objections to my comments anytime you wish, but I don't see why Shane Bond or anyone else for that matter can't give his perspective on either the Broncos performance collectively or Peyton's Manning's performance individually. And yes, even if Mr. Bond agreed with your POV & detested mine, I would still welcome his feedback whether it was directly solicited by someone else or not. 

I bet that will make Peyton feel a lot better if you cut him some slack and he could sleep better tonight. :sarcasm:

I'm sure you are correct. My criticism of Peyton will not cause him insomnia as as prepares to finish out the regular season & mount his post season campaign. I agree 100% Loyalty to a player to me is not blind allegiance & it never will be for me. I give them a reasonable amount of time to flourish & thrive, but once that grace period has passed, expectations must be met. I wish Peyton & the Broncos nothing but success this year, but if they get knocked out of the Playoffs yet again, what will the rationale for it this season? 18 knows what he has to do sound sleep, insomnia, or not. 

Your probably correct but I am so tired of seeing from some and they know who they are that start out with I love Peyton  BUT and then they call out all his bad plays. He is not perfect but neither is Brees or Brady for that matter but I don't see all the call outs on those players.  If anyone could have been called it should have been the Saints & Seahawks  game at how badly Brees played in that game but not a word was said or the game against the Bengals where Brady didn't even throw a TD or the 2  SB's  that the Pats lost to the Giants. No one is perfect but Peyton is supposed to carry teams on his back and be perfect every time. It's getting really old to say the least.     :rantoff:

yes we will see what happens . . . it was only one game, so I don't decide a season or career on one game, anymore or less that I did with his great game against Tenn, his comments notwithstanding . . . time will tell about Peyton and cold weather games, he plays in a location and division with one team (KC) now that will likely result in some games in a season/playoffs under 40 degrees and at home . . . so he has an opportunity to add to his numbers up or down or sideways . . .  

I hear ya with the frustration about the critics . . . but at the same time our QBs can get credit when perhaps they don't deserve and/or would not be garnered by other QBs . . . if the letters RYAN were on the back of Brady or Manning's jersey perhaps there would not be as much praise for him (RYAN) . . . for example if those letters where on Manning jersay in 2008 it is, imo, likely that he would not win the MVP, but because the letters were MANNING writers want to hand him he MVP, because "he helped his team" and so on . . .so it kind of works both ways . . . we got to take the criticism with the praise and both can be a tad overboard . . .

yes we will see what happens . . . it was only one game, so I don't decide a season or career on one game, anymore or less that I did with his great game against Tenn, his comments notwithstanding . . . time will tell about Peyton and cold weather games, he plays in a location and division with one team (KC) now that will likely result in some games in a season/playoffs under 40 degrees and at home . . . so he has an opportunity to add to his numbers up or down or sideways . . .  

I hear ya with the frustration about the critics . . . but at the same time our QBs can get credit when perhaps they don't deserve and/or would not be garnered by other QBs . . . if the letters RYAN were on the back of Brady or Manning's jersey perhaps there would not be as much praise for him (RYAN) . . . for example if those letters where on Manning jersay in 2008 it is, imo, likely that he would not win the MVP, but because the letters were MANNING writers want to hand him he MVP, because "he helped his team" and so on . . .so it kind of works both ways . . . we got to take the criticism with the praise and both can be a tad overboard . . .

Interesting notion there. If you switched the Broncos QB jersey name to Ryan & Matt had the same fatal playoff flaw would I still be so upset? Hmmm...TBH no because I know what Manning is capable of & have seen his miraculous comebacks & sustained moments of brilliance on a football field more than once over the course of several years. I know the greatness within 18 & am perplexed as to why he up til now has fallen short of a 2nd SB ring. If he can play so well in the regular season what is the kryptonite in the post season? It bewilders me actually...What is it about late December & early January that rattles him & prevents from acquiring a second ring? 

Regarding the MVP race itself, when 1 name is always at the forefront of everyone's tongue year in year out, the value of the award loses it's significance when no other player seems to be considered for it & I can't remember the last time a defensive player won it either. Yes, Manning has put up incredible numbers, but the only stat SW1 wants to read is this: Peyton Manning the 2 time SB Champion. 

I can't fall for the Broncos best in the AFC hype this year. I been disappointed in the final 18 outcome too many times. My motto now: Don't tell me Peyton. Show me. Good luck Manning, but the NFL is a results driven business & the only thing missing from your mantle are dual SB trophies...Legacy is all that matters now. JMO. 

Your probably correct but I am so tired of seeing from some and they know who they are that start out with I love Peyton  BUT and then they call out all his bad plays. He is not perfect but neither is Brees or Brady for that matter but I don't see all the call outs on those players.  If anyone could have been called it should have been the Saints & Seahawks  game at how badly Brees played in that game but not a word was said or the game against the Bengals where Brady didn't even throw a TD or the 2  SB's  that the Pats lost to the Giants. No one is perfect but Peyton is supposed to carry teams on his back and be perfect every time. It's getting really old to say the least.     :rantoff:

I think for starters it's a Colts forum and thus Colts fans are more familiar with the faults of Peyton than they are of Brees and Brady.  Add in some fans of other teams who, hmm how shall I put this kindly, like to offer their "opinion" on Manning's struggles and some Colts fans who I think are more hurt from the fact Manning isn't the Colts QB anymore than they would care to admit feel the need to last out at him and you can see why Manning seems to take more heat than Brees and Brady at least here.

Just for the record though Manning has won as many Super Bowls as Brees and been to one more than him and has won a Super Bowl more recently than Brady has.  Still this is what happens Brady won early in his career while Manning struggled in the playoffs plus had his highly publicized issues with Florida in college.  So the story on his struggles wrote it's self and sports media folks are nothing if not lazy so they stick with the easy story. Brady got the rep of being a winner because he won the Super Bowls early in his career again people stick with the first impression.

As for Brees IMO he's had more struggles than Manning and Brady because he played in the weaker conference for most of his career where there wasn't really another "super star" QB the bulk of his career.  Yes you had guys like Rogers but Rogers hasn't been there as long as Brees has and has had some major injury issues over that time.  Still, he's gotten to ONE Super Bowl.  Still Brees has always been the most over looked in general of the "big 3" probably because of the lack of sustained team success compared to Brady and Manning's team and without the rivalry with the other two like Manning and Brady had with each other where they played each other just about every year once if not twice in a game that was normally a match up between the best two teams in the conference if not the league. 

Why was he holding it so long?.

Its ok to critique him. He is not a God.

All the games he needed to perform - he didn't.

Colts - Homecoming game, same exact fumble and INT - Game Lost

Pats - Manning Vs Brady rivalry - INT turnover - Game Lost

Chargers - 4th Quarter , 5 minutes to go, 7 needed - INT - Game Lost

All these are acceptable, if we consider him a good QB. But our expectation and assessment about Peyton is about GOAT.

GOAT dont make these mistakes in these games.

I love how you conveniently left out the two absolute must-win games for the Broncos, both Kansas City games. Both of which the Broncos won and put themselves in firm control of that division.

Second, I don't think the Patriots game was lost on a Peyton turnover. A special teams turnover, yes, not a Peyton turnover.

Every QB makes mistakes and throws INT's.  The INT the other night Peyton threw against the Chargers could partially be blamed on the Broncos' offensive line not protecting Peyton as his arm was hit and the Chargers' linebacker caught it.

Also, one of the Chargers' coaches use to be the coach in Denver or Indy when Peyton was there so he knows Peyton and can game plan against him.

"Every QB makes mistakes and throws INT's." Go back & look at post #187 by Mr. Shane Bond please & read his nice little synopsis of picks just this season. Thank you. It's a question of frequency vs randomness with Peyton at the worst times. If you are gonna turn the ball over, could you at least do it before halftime vs the 4 qtr please.  haha

I will concede that if a QB's arm is altered during his throwing motion, the ball's trajectory will be off. But, for most of Thursday night's game the Broncos line gave Manning a beautiful pocket to launch the ball from. I don't even blame the line for that. You can't expect perfection every down for crying outloud. Peyton needs to move or change his launch point then. 

I keep thinking about the 2006 SB Peyton & the Colts won. I don't focus on the rain because the odds were even on both sides of the field. I think about Bears HC Lovie Smith & the DC Ron Rivera. Rivera wanted more direct pressure in Manning's face & Smith told him to back off after that TD to WR Reggie Wayne. If Ron would have not been told to back off, who knows what the final score would have been. 

I don't really see what your point is about DC John Pagano is. All NFL  DCs & HCs have elaborate dissertations written about 18's tendencies & perceived weaknesses. Lovie Smith gave Ron Rivera almost 20 page review on Peyton's skill set in 2006. So, I fail to grasp the significance about John Pagano or Mike McCoy at all. It carries zero weight with me personally. 

I love how you conveniently left out the two absolute must-win games for the Broncos, both Kansas City games. Both of which the Broncos won and put themselves in firm control of that division.

Second, I don't think the Patriots game was lost on a Peyton turnover. A special teams turnover, yes, not a Peyton turnover.

I think KC was a surprise team this year and no one was really sold on Alex Smith and the fact that the team played the easiest schedule in the NFL until they met the Broncos. While Manning deserves credit for beating them, the brass games this season were the Colts and Pats. He did not lose either game by himself but those were the two marquee games. To be honest, I am still surprised at how the Broncos were manhandled by the Chargers who I felt was an average team at best. Goes to show how hard it is to win in the NFL.

No you don't understand it's now Peyton Manning's fault if his team loses even when the big mistake comes when he's not even on the field. 

To be honest, I am still surprised at how the Broncos were manhandled by the Chargers who I felt was an average team at best. Goes to show how hard it is to win in the NFL.

That shocked me 2 actually. True Rivers, Matthews, & Woodhead kept Manning sitting on the sidelines for most of the second half, but 3 3 & outs on offense stunned me. I couldn't believe it. Does Peyton really miss Welker than much? Okay, I will admit the Chargers run defense was incredible, but man after that 1st Denver TD the Broncos seemed out of sink the rest of the night anything but Championship caliber team. 

I hope it was just a short play week thing myself, but that smackdown gave me some reservations. The Chargers looked Playoff ready though. Just an off night in Denver? Jesus, I hope so.

I realize the Broncos only lost by 7 points, but I hope John Fox & his staff begins to explore what their offense will do to counteract a stuffed running game in the Playoffs. Learn from this. Devise strategies. Implement more screens out of the backfield if you have to. My biggest fear is that Manning can't win in the post season if you neutralize his ground game.

That's how I see it right now. 

I think for starters it's a Colts forum and thus Colts fans are more familiar with the faults of Peyton than they are of Brees and Brady.  Add in some fans of other teams who, hmm how shall I put this kindly, like to offer their "opinion" on Manning's struggles and some Colts fans who I think are more hurt from the fact Manning isn't the Colts QB anymore than they would care to admit feel the need to last out at him and you can see why Manning seems to take more heat than Brees and Brady at least here.

Just for the record though Manning has won as many Super Bowls as Brees and been to one more than him and has won a Super Bowl more recently than Brady has.  Still this is what happens Brady won early in his career while Manning struggled in the playoffs plus had his highly publicized issues with Florida in college.  So the story on his struggles wrote it's self and sports media folks are nothing if not lazy so they stick with the easy story. Brady got the rep of being a winner because he won the Super Bowls early in his career again people stick with the first impression.

As for Brees IMO he's had more struggles than Manning and Brady because he played in the weaker conference for most of his career where there wasn't really another "super star" QB the bulk of his career.  Yes you had guys like Rogers but Rogers hasn't been there as long as Brees has and has had some major injury issues over that time.  Still, he's gotten to ONE Super Bowl.  Still Brees has always been the most over looked in general of the "big 3" probably because of the lack of sustained team success compared to Brady and Manning's team and without the rivalry with the other two like Manning and Brady had with each other where they played each other just about every year once if not twice in a game that was normally a match up between the best two teams in the conference if not the league. 

Thank you I appreciate your post. :thmup:

No you don't understand it's now Peyton Manning's fault if his team loses even when the big mistake comes when he's not even on the field.

You have to understand that Manning can no longer be viewed in a way that even other greats can, because he has been put on a tier by himself. In some ways, he has been too good. The contracts his talent demands are too great to allow for well rounded teams whith a salary cap present. When you have a QB on a tier by themselves, you give them an offense they can work with.

The end result will always be the same, a team with limited defensive capabilities that relies entirely on Manning to win games for them. You live by him and die by him, and in that regard every mistake is magnified even further.

Peyton Manning is his own worst enemy. He is too good to allow normal expectations, and because of that he will never be good enough to meet the expectations that surround him.

We are talking about losses and losing to Eagles or Redskins would have been ok.

But not to Pats. Peyton had an INT and gave the ball at Den 30 yard line which resulted in a NE TD. 14 points differential.

You have to understand that Manning can no longer be viewed in a way that even other greats can, because he has been put on a tier by himself. In some ways, he has been too good. The contracts his talent demands are too great to allow for well rounded teams whith a salary cap present. When you have a QB on a tier by themselves, you give them an offense they can work with.

The end result will always be the same, a team with limited defensive capabilities that relies entirely on Manning to win games for them. You live by him and die by him, and in that regard every mistake is magnified even further.

Peyton Manning is his own worst enemy. He is too good to allow normal expectations, and because of that he will never be good enough to meet the expectations that surround him.

Last year he had a top 5 D and top 5 run game and one of the best FG kickers in Prater. Best all around team of his career by far. But in the playoffs? Three TOs and 17 points handed to the Ravens that single handedly kept them in a game that should have been a blow out with two STs scores. He is what he is in big games. It is not all hogwash. For sure he has been snake bit in some games and his team outplayed in others but as I have always said, a 100 mil QB with his pedigree is supposed to play like the best player on the field and often in the post-season he has not. That cannot be denied.

• 2 weeks later...

It is what it is. Peyton's postseason record is not 100% reflective of his postseason play but is at least 70% reflective, IMO.  Brady's postseason record is similarly not 100% reflective of his postseason play but is at least 70% reflective, IMO.

You could probably choose about 3 games Peyton could have won and Brady could have lost based on their play with their teams not making enough plays/making enough plays to reverse the result. That is fair enough to say.

That is why I feel Peyton's 9-11 could have easily been 12-8 and Brady's 17-7 could easily have been 14-10. Still, the edge goes to Brady in terms of less turnovers, having a killer instinct to stomp on an opponent once he gets the lead (not playing conservative), and doing more QB sneaks in critical situations, IMO.

Peyton's arm has never been an asset like his brain (at least not in cold weather), and neither has the make up of his teams for the postseason. So, he has to take more chances to put it in tighter windows while Brady can gun it thus resulting in more INTs for Peyton and at worst, more incompletions for Brady, IMO. That, singularly, has been exploited by coaches of elite teams (not just Belichick) time and time again, jamming his wideouts and throwing his timing off and forcing him to squeeze it into tight windows.

I am being objective here, as much as I can. :)

Once Peyton and Brady are gone, what will we all talk about (entries to Luck bandwagon welcome - present and future)? :)

It is what it is. Peyton's postseason record is not 100% reflective of his postseason play but is at least 70% reflective, IMO.  Brady's postseason record is similarly not 100% reflective of his postseason play but is at least 70% reflective, IMO.

You could probably choose about 3 games Peyton could have won and Brady could have lost based on their play with their teams not making enough plays/making enough plays to reverse the result. That is fair enough to say.

That is why I feel Peyton's 9-11 could have easily been 12-8 and Brady's 17-7 could easily have been 14-10. Still, the edge goes to Brady in terms of less turnovers, having a killer instinct to stomp on an opponent once he gets the lead (not playing conservative), and doing more QB sneaks in critical situations, IMO.

Peyton's arm has never been an asset like his brain (at least not in cold weather), and neither has the make up of his teams for the postseason. So, he has to take more chances to put it in tighter windows while Brady can gun it thus resulting in more INTs for Peyton and at worst, more incompletions for Brady, IMO. That, singularly, has been exploited by coaches of elite teams (not just Belichick) time and time again, jamming his wideouts and throwing his timing off and forcing him to squeeze it into tight windows.

I am being objective here, as much as I can. :)

Once Peyton and Brady are gone, what will we all talk about (entries to Luck bandwagon welcome - present and future)? :)

no matter what their will be a VOID OF GARGANTUAN PROPORTIONS

Last year he had a top 5 D and top 5 run game and one of the best FG kickers in Prater. Best all around team of his career by far. But in the playoffs? Three TOs and 17 points handed to the Ravens that single handedly kept them in a game that should have been a blow out with two STs scores. He is what he is in big games. It is not all hogwash. For sure he has been snake bit in some games and his team outplayed in others but as I have always said, a 100 mil QB with his pedigree is supposed to play like the best player on the field and often in the post-season he has not. That cannot be denied.

not sure of other stats but Moreno went down in Ravens game  thus ended the run game and pass protection and dont know if top 5 in that and in D , was a top 5 easily with Tebow and fell off

As Far as Prater, he missed many not like this year and BTW he missed in regulation Vs Ravens, those 3 points would of goiven Broncos the win , so one cant merely give overal ststs like u dud at at start but must dig deeper for full evaluation

not sure of other stats but Moreno went down in Ravens game  thus ended the run game and pass protection and dont know if top 5 in that and in D , was a top 5 easily with Tebow and fell off

As Far as Prater, he missed many not like this year and BTW he missed in regulation Vs Ravens, those 3 points would of goiven Broncos the win , so one cant merely give overal ststs like u dud at at start but must dig deeper for full evaluation

The Broncos defense was ranked 24th in points allowed with Tebow and ranked last year with Manning at 4.

The run game was more by committee last year with Moreno, McGahee and Hillman. The team rushed for more than 1,800 yards which was top 5 in the league.

In terms of the playoff game, while Moreno got hurt and the defense was torched by Flacco by the deep ball, Holliday also gave the Broncos 14 points so that pretty much cancels out each other. If Manning does not turn over the ball or just turns it over less then the Broncos win in a blow out.

I read an article where pass defense in the playoffs is a better indicator of a team winning in the playoffs than run defense, regardless of what happened in the regular season.

If someone else knows which article I am talking about, please feel free to share.

I know Peyton wants to win it all by himself and throws at every opportunity but there are times he needs to throw away or take a sack.

Denver's defense is horrible. If they are going to go anywhere in the playoffs it will be because of him and his ability to outscore everyone they play. Plus, it's still very risky for him to just take sacks..

If Manning does not turn over the ball or just turns it over less then the Broncos win in a blow out.

And if Decker doesn't get tackled before he touches the ball, or at least the refs call pass interference then the game is completely different.

Plus that top 5 defense, where did it go against the Ravens? And that top 5 run game? Well they weren't even playing. If memory serves me right Hillman didn't touch the ball once after the fumble against NE. Be wasn't apart of that top 5 run team, and it wasn't because he had fumble issues. It was because he was worse then a wet tissue in pass blocking.

The Broncos defense was ranked 24th in points allowed with Tebow and ranked last year with Manning at 4.

The run game was more by committee last year with Moreno, McGahee and Hillman. The team rushed for more than 1,800 yards which was top 5 in the league.

In terms of the playoff game, while Moreno got hurt and the defense was torched by Flacco by the deep ball, Holliday also gave the Broncos 14 points so that pretty much cancels out each other. If Manning does not turn over the ball or just turns it over less then the Broncos win in a blow out.

Wasn't that pick 6 though bounced right off the receiver's hands? That and there was some pretty bad PI on the play.

And if Decker doesn't get tackled before he touches the ball, or at least the refs call pass interference then the game is completely different. Plus that top 5 defense, where did it go against the Ravens? And that top 5 run game? Well they weren't even playing. If memory serves me right Hillman didn't touch the ball once after the fumble against NE. Be wasn't apart of that top 5 run team, and it wasn't because he had fumble issues. It was because he was worse then a wet tissue in pass blocking.

As I have said all along, you turn it over three times and you lose. TOs is the one stat that decides the outcome of games the most. If Manning takes care of the ball then everything else you posted is nullified. And don't forget he was also gifted 14 from his STs.

As I have said all along, you turn it over three times and you lose. TOs is the one stat that decides the outcome of games the most. If Manning takes care of the ball then everything else you posted is nullified. And don't forget he was also gifted 14 from his STs.

How are you suppose to take care of the ball when your receiver gets tackled before he touches the ball?

You know,  I actually like Tom Brady, and I can give him credit where credit is due.

Unfortunately,  the more I read posts from a certain someone on here, it really makes me want the Pats to Go One and Done,  if for no other reason, to have some Peace and Quiet on here.