Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Done defending Peyton

Shane Bond

well it just one game, we'll see how the next two brings . . . and he did get two TDs closer to the record . . . :thmsup:  . . .

everyone has a one game or two or even three in a season that are off . . . let see how the next two/three months go with the Broncos . . .

Don't you know? . . great QB's never lose any games ever.  

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton and the Broncos were beaten with a blueprint that has been around for ages...and that agonized Colts fans for all but one of his 14 seasons in Indy.

1. Plenty of rush plays and time-consuming drives blended in with an efficient passing game. A Pep Hamilton-style offensive design....if you will.

2. Enough pressure on Manning to create a mistake and subtract an additional offensive possession.

Keep him on the sidelines and he's harmless. As Colts fans we witnessed it many times...much to our disgust.

Had to think a little about what you were saying.   I get it now, and You are correct.  I do not, as a fan of another team, go to the Pats Board after they lose to point out Brady's flaws (like when the Bengals kept him from even one TD).   In fact,  I've NEVER been to any other team's forum board, Period (except for the Broncos, for obvious reasons)

It's very odd. I hope they don't die of a broken heart if he wins another playoff game this year.

People get too caugh ton on this peyton rules or peyton chokes...

can anyone pay attention to the Defense ? i said like 2  weeks into the offseason, and others did too(like amfootball). they wont win a crap with that Defense and i dont care if you have tom brady, peyton manning or joe montana. That D wont stop a  team that is balanced. they cant stop the run and the only way they stop the pass is if they other team is trying to catch up and they can just rush the passwer.

that defense sucks.

Defense is not very good but as I have been saying for quite some time but that being said, I really question if the style of offense the Broncos run which is the Indy offense does not hurt them in these types of games. A very telling statement is Manning after the game when he said that maybe the 95 plays they ran against the Titans made them tired for Thursdays game. Perhaps as an offense you can go too fast and tucker out your team, especially the defense. It seems that if plan A does not work for Manning which is to throw and score as quick as he can, he has no plan B. IMO this has been one of the biggest factors as to why he has not won more big games and why his Broncos teams look eerie similar to his Colts teams when they lose. His offense is simple to defend from an Xs and Os perspective (you know what you are going to get every time) but tough to do from an execution standpoint but the teams that can like the Pats, Chargers, Colts and possibly the Bengals can give him fits and win. And that has been the issue for him. He runs into a team that outplays his style and there is no plan B.

How can you blame the defense when Peyton is the guy with the 20 million dollar contract that went 2/9 on third down last night?

The fact is the Denver D was it normal self last night. They are 25th in points allowed and 27 is about what they let up as an average. The O was not good enough and part of that was the three and outs and the other part was that SD ran the ball down their throats and ate clock. Again, simple game plan to beat a Manning team if you can execute it which SD did perfectly.

With Manning it's just the eye test. You see him start pouting, go out on the field, needing a score, panic, and throw the game losing interception.

Then you think, "You know, Tom Brady would of won that game."

And if he didn't you guys would blame the refs (panthers) or Wes Welker (SB)' or the weather (bengals)

I've been saying for three years that Denver's defense is VASTLY overrated. Playing with a huge lead is one thing (and we've seen times where even THAT did not work out), playing in a tight game is another. San Diego just took it to 'em all night, eating up clock like Albert Haynesworth at a breakfast buffet. DelRio is a very average coach and it shows in these tight games.

Offensively, this is going to happen to teams that play like Denver does. The high-flying air shows get grounded from time to time. Things don't go as planned. They go up against a stellar game plan like they did last night. Timing is off. Weather doesn't cooperate. Players get injured and miss time. And usually these teams have trouble adjusting to whatever it is in their way. It happened to the Rams in 2001, the Patriots in 2007, the Colts in 2004, etc-etc.

What was really kind of shocking to me, though, was the final 3:00 of the game. The Broncos didn't even try anything downfield, they didn't run any sideline routes... they made it easy for SD. I know they moved the ball to FG range but it took, what, eight plays? And more than 2 minutes off the clock? Defenses will take that anytime, up by 10 and with the other team out of timeouts. 

And before anyone jumps in with "San Diego was in a three deep zone," yes, I know. That doesn't mean every throw has to be a check down. 

It's been really weird... this isn't meant as a criticism of Manning, but I've seen him play games this year where his arm looks pretty good, and other games where his arm looks very tired. I wonder if he has "good days and bad days" relative to the injury and is better able, at times, to really drive the ball. 

Most of all, I think you just have to give the Chargers credit. They had a great game plan, and the players executed it very, very well. It's not as much about what Denver didn't do as what the Chargers were able to do. 

Defense is not very good but as I have been saying for quite some time but that being said, I really question if the style of offense the Broncos run which is the Indy offense does not hurt them in these types of games. A very telling statement is Manning after the game when he said that maybe the 95 plays they ran against the Titans made them tired for Thursdays game. Perhaps as an offense you can go too fast and tucker out your team, especially the defense. It seems that if plan A does not work for Manning which is to throw and score as quick as he can, he has no plan B. IMO this has been one of the biggest factors as to why he has not won more big games and why his Broncos teams look eerie similar to his Colts teams when they lose. His offense is simple to defend from an Xs and Os perspective (you know what you are going to get every time) but tough to do from an execution standpoint but the teams that can like the Pats, Chargers, Colts and possibly the Bengals can give him fits and win. And that has been the issue for him. He runs into a team that outplays his style and there is no plan B.

that shouldnt be a problem int eh playfoffs. they dont have 2 games in 5 days.

as for the game plan. I disagree. I think peytons offense sputter whent he running game cant do crap. I know people always talk about the passing offense when it comes to Manning, but i dont know how to expalin it i just guess this happens every time Manning cant runt he football (and is aguess cause we dont go into meetings and we dont understand all that happens in a game).

I have seen way to many games of the colts/broncos. I dont mean to say 200 yards rushing or even 100. but whenever the rushing attack does not generate any help, like last night, he cant move the ball. again i know we didnt run the ball like from 08-10 but my point is and maybe is bcause what you just mentioned, about the offense being simple, but it seems to me that when defenses completely shutdown the running game and then they focus on just passing it seems like he doesnt have the room to operate.THe PA doesnt pull LB, defenses focus on disrupting timing etc. I have seen it vs the chargers like 3 times, vs the pats, vs KC when he was with the colts and vs San fran when he was with the colts

im ight be completely wrong ; :) but i really think Manning deppends on having a threat of a running game. if its shutdown...

The fact is the Denver D was it normal self last night. They are 25th in points allowed and 27 is about what they let up as an average. The O was not good enough and part of that was the three and outs and the other part was that SD ran the ball down their throats and ate clock. Again, simple game plan to beat a Manning team if you can execute it which SD did perfectly.

Yep.....despite the "its a passing league" hysteria....it's still a game of keep-away. Time of possession was 38:49 to 21:11 which is ridiculous.

Like you said, a team that can execute that can neutralize Manning and beat Denver with the defense they have right now. The fact that it was Rivers and the Chargers who did it to him....again....causes some very unpleasant playoff flashbacks.

I've been saying for three years that Denver's defense is VASTLY overrated. Playing with a huge lead is one thing (and we've seen times where even THAT did not work out), playing in a tight game is another. San Diego just took it to 'em all night, eating up clock like Albert Haynesworth at a breakfast buffet. DelRio is a very average coach and it shows in these tight games.

Offensively, this is going to happen to teams that play like Denver does. The high-flying air shows get grounded from time to time. Things don't go as planned. They go up against a stellar game plan like they did last night. Timing is off. Weather doesn't cooperate. Players get injured and miss time. And usually these teams have trouble adjusting to whatever it is in their way. It happened to the Rams in 2001, the Patriots in 2007, the Colts in 2004, etc-etc.

What was really kind of shocking to me, though, was the final 3:00 of the game. The Broncos didn't even try anything downfield, they didn't run any sideline routes... they made it easy for SD. I know they moved the ball to FG range but it took, what, eight plays? And more than 2 minutes off the clock? Defenses will take that anytime, up by 10 and with the other team out of timeouts. 

And before anyone jumps in with "San Diego was in a three deep zone," yes, I know. That doesn't mean every throw has to be a check down. 

It's been really weird... this isn't meant as a criticism of Manning, but I've seen him play games this year where his arm looks pretty good, and other games where his arm looks very tired. I wonder if he has "good days and bad days" relative to the injury and is better able, at times, to really drive the ball. 

Most of all, I think you just have to give the Chargers credit. They had a great game plan, and the players executed it very, very well. It's not as much about what Denver didn't do as what the Chargers were able to do. 

4 days rest really hurt him in this game I think in terms of his arm strength. And of course the SD D that was in his face.

i was thinking that yesterday. it does seem to me like that

You sound mad the Patriots beat you so bad last year after all your ridiculous hype, it destroyed your entire franchise.

Yes, I'm clearly hysterical. I'm so outraged I'm going to the Patriots board to make a bunch of trollish Wes Welker posts.

And a team that was coming off a 2-14 season had a lot hype? The reality you live in is interesting.

Why would you push it down when they play three deep? That's just asking for an INT.

QB's can throw it 3-7 yards using routes the Broncos are best at when defenses go 3-3-5. Peyton was missing those throws by the end of the game. He couldn't push it down the field if he wanted to in the cold. I'm not saying any of this to be divisive, it's just obvious at this point.

I also find funny that when PM has a down game people immediately say "you see he is a choker he cant play in big games"

so when Brees puts 7 points, on a prime time game, its not about him but about That amazing D or  Russell MVP.

Not a single jab on Brees.

denver scored 20 points btw.

if that is not a narrative vs peyton then what is?

Yes, I'm clearly hysterical. I'm so outraged I'm going to the Patriots board to make a bunch of trollish Wes Welker posts.

And a team that was coming off a 2-14 season had a lot hype? The reality you live in is interesting.

Yeah, the narrative was you were coming to "dethrone us." Then you brought letterman jackets for prime time television and got off your silly little bus thinking you were Tom Cruise in 1987.

Brady%2520You%2520Mad.gif

4 days rest really hurt him in this game I think in terms of his arm strength. And of course the SD D that was in his face.

I have a couple of old climbing injuries (bad shoulder, for one) and I know that if I sleep "wrong" on that side of my body, my right arm is like a noodle the next day, lol... I know it's going to be like that the moment I get up. And sometimes it takes a couple of days for it to subside. The cold doesn't really make it any worse, but if the nerves that control those muscles get irritated, it can be tough to function. 

I know that part of Manning's recovery process was the regeneration of some damaged nerve tissue, which takes a long time and sometimes does not come back quite at 100%. The announcers (and by the way, THANKS BE TO HEAVEN that there are no more games on NFLN this season... I don't think I could take it) didn't really say much as to whether or not it was windy last night.

The Broncos didn't need to run deep outs and seam routes on that last drive, but there's a mid-range throw available almost all the time, if you want to send a guy on that route and take a shot. Last weekend, on the TD drive before the onsides kick, Brady hit Edelman for something like 23 on one of those routes. I don't know if the Broncos were hoping/planning for YAC on all those little dump-offs, but it was kind of obvious right away that they weren't going to be able to pick up yards in chunks.

I can't believe your on here starting this thread and then said you didn't see the second half. With some of the replies you have posted I'm not even sure you saw the first half.  :scratch:   My suggestion would be If you want to talk trash at least watch the game and know what your talking about.   :popcorn:

Thread was about Peyton and it was about INT which i saw in replay and started the thread. 

Hope it clarifies. There is no trash talking. I stated my facts.

Yeah, the narrative was you were coming to "dethrone us." Then you brought letterman jackets for prime time television and got off your silly little bus thinking you were Tom Cruise in 1987.

Brady%20You%20Mad.gif

THE MIGHTY TEXANS ARE JUST LYING IN WAIT TO TAKE THE NFL BY STORM NEXT SEASON ON THE SHOULDERS OF TERRIBLE TEDDY BRIDGEWATER.

BULLS ON PARADE!!!!

I have a couple of old climbing injuries (bad shoulder, for one) and I know that if I sleep "wrong" on that side of my body, my right arm is like a noodle the next day, lol... I know it's going to be like that the moment I get up. And sometimes it takes a couple of days for it to subside. The cold doesn't really make it any worse, but if the nerves that control those muscles get irritated, it can be tough to function. 

I know that part of Manning's recovery process was the regeneration of some damaged nerve tissue, which takes a long time and sometimes does not come back quite at 100%. The announcers (and by the way, THANKS BE TO HEAVEN that there are no more games on NFLN this season... I don't think I could take it) didn't really say much as to whether or not it was windy last night.

The Broncos didn't need to run deep outs and seam routes on that last drive, but there's a mid-range throw available almost all the time, if you want to send a guy on that route and take a shot. Last weekend, on the TD drive before the onsides kick, Brady hit Edelman for something like 23 on one of those routes. I don't know if the Broncos were hoping/planning for YAC on all those little dump-offs, but it was kind of obvious right away that they weren't going to be able to pick up yards in chunks.

Yes, it is interesting. I wonder if he was afraid of making the mistake or getting sacked as the Chargers D was all over him. His INT looked awful but his arm was hit. Not sure why he didn't just take the sack there or throw it away.

Yes, it is interesting. I wonder if he was afraid of making the mistake or getting sacked as the Chargers D was all over him. His INT looked awful but his arm was hit. Not sure why he didn't just take the sack there or throw it away.

It looked like he was trying to throw that one toward the sidelines (to throw it away) but just held it a split-second too long. 

Brady%2520You%2520Mad.gif

You should probably try to pay better attention. BOTT is not a Texans fan.

I'm still curious on why this loss falls completely on Peyton. The entire Broncos TEAM looked completely unprepared and lost last night. It's also pretty hard to win when you're beaten 2:1 on time of possession and your defense and special teams (two other critical components of a TEAM) play terribly and undisciplined.

Some people think Manning is the O-Coordinator. 

Any given Sunday...can happen on Thursday as well.  No team is the same at year end as early in the season.  The Broncos played their best football in September and October.  Last night, San Diego was the better team.  I think the Broncos peaked early, and unless they get a 1st round bye are one and done.

Just love the Patriots trolls. Let me breakdown how it works:

Patriots lose a game: OMG THE REFS, BRADY HAS NO ONE TO THROW TOO (Gisele), WE HAVE INJURIES

Patriots win a game: TOM BRADY IS THE GREATEST EVER HES DONE SO MUCH WITH NOTHING. (Forgetting to thank the refs, defense and bum recievers they throw under the bus when they lose)

This talk about Peyton's arm has got to stop. Watch the Kansas City game. Plenty of arm strength in that game. San Diego played deep all game and made the Broncos throw underneath. Anyone who has half a brain can see that.

They wasted the timeouts waay to early if remember right from DVR, I fell out after penalty that keep chargers alive instead of punting 

after the loss of Vikerson & Wolfe , Broncos lost all run defense, wasnt noticed due to score but titans had a good running day, also charles did much better than 1st game

plus demotion of tackler woodward due to stinger lingering issues also allows longer runs

I previously commented right after last game ( cold titan game )  that playing in such weather requires more recovery time for nerve to come back out of the cold so to speak

it sure does for me , howeverr all are individuals and dont want to make a blanket statement , alot depends on how sensitive that nerve root is to cold, its different for all post op, way to many variables

Patriots lose a game: OMG THE REFS, BRADY HAS NO ONE TO THROW TOO (Gisele), WE HAVE INJURIES

Patriots win a game: TOM BRADY IS THE GREATEST EVER HES DONE SO MUCH WITH NOTHING. (Forgetting to thank the refs, defense and bum recievers they throw under the bus when they lose)

This talk about Peyton's arm has got to stop. Watch the Kansas City game. Plenty of arm strength in that game. San Diego played deep all game and made the Broncos throw underneath. Anyone who has half a brain can see that.

His arm did not look as bad as the Pats game. Overall it was just not a good game from him especially on third down.

I didn't see the game, but from what I have seen the last two years he does have some arm/ neck/hand issues that come and go.

Even odder this is the only board I visit. Oh well it beats than having a crack addiction.

Peyton can't beat crack in the cold.

What about the last two games, when Manning threw for 800 yards and nine touchdowns? It was the same weather in KC two weeks ago, and it was even colder last week in Denver. 

It's amazing to me how this meme continues. 

His arm did not look as bad as the Pats game. Overall it was just not a good game from him especially on third down.

His arm was fine. I encourage you to study what coverages are and how it plays into what an offenses game plan is. Biggest problem for Denver was they had absolutely no run game that allowed for San Diego to sit back in pass coverage all night.