mintor

Bill Cowher   

90 members have voted

1. 1. should get a new coach ?

• Bill Cowher
    • lovie smith
    • Jon Gruden
    • Are keep same coach we have now ?

I wouldn't say the Tampa2 is silly, it just needs the right players. It needs 2 big nasty DTs that can eat up some of those runs or the blockers atleast. Indy didn't have that most of the time.

Ah but therein lies the issue. Indy didnt have that by Dungy's design. He wanted undersized, speed based cutters that could slice through blocks, not hold them. So thats what we got. Undersized, speed based players that would overpursue the run by design and get smashed in the mouth when opponents felt like doing that.

Dungy's schemes were flawed, make no mistake. His quiet personality also means he never stood out much, especially as a defensive coach on a team that was consistently poor on defense.

What Dungy has is intangibles. He commanded respect and accountability while barely raising his voice. The players all loved and respected him, even though his systems werent exactly gold standard.

Chucky is the opposite in many ways. Hes loud and bombastic, emotionally engaged in the games. He has a very good mind for the offensive side of the ball, and knows how to work the passing game. He is everything the modern NFL fan loves to see. The prospect of Jon Gruden is infatuating. Dungy is boring.

Ah but therein lies the issue. Indy didnt have that by Dungy's design. He wanted undersized, speed based cutters that could slice through blocks, not hold them. So thats what we got. Undersized, speed based players that would overpursue the run by design and get smashed in the mouth when opponents felt like doing that.

Dungy's schemes were flawed, make no mistake. His quiet personality also means he never stood out much, especially as a defensive coach on a team that was consistently poor on defense.

What Dungy has is intangibles. He commanded respect and accountability while barely raising his voice. The players all loved and respected him, even though his systems werent exactly gold standard.

Chucky is the opposite in many ways. Hes loud and bombastic, emotionally engaged in the games. He has a very good mind for the offensive side of the ball, and knows how to work the passing game. He is everything the modern NFL fan loves to see. The prospect of Jon Gruden is infatuating. Dungy is boring.

He wanted small players but not necessarily small DTs. I've heard him many times the cover 2 depends a lot on the interior defensive line. Polian didn't do a great job in getting good players at those positions for the most part. Look at our defenses when we did, it was much improved.

not dum look alot post on other threads alot ppl posting these names as a coach for the colts . why started it.

William Laird "Bill" Cowher (born May 8, 1957) is a former professional American football coach and player in the National Football League (NFL). In Cowher's fifteen seasons as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team won eight division titles and made ten playoff appearances. Cowher led the Steelers to the Super Bowl twice, winning one. He is the second coach in NFL history to reach the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach, a feat previously accomplished by Paul Brown.

I guess cavemen follow the Colts now?

"...Cowher...(grunt...grunt)...angry coach...good hunter gatherer...strong chin..."

"...Gruden...(grunt...grunt)...angry coach...offense guru...constipated face..."   

I understand the team is struggling, but it's not easy to win Divisions in the NFL, especially when your top WR, TE, and RB are lost for the season.

Pags just needs to build some confidence, and with our closing schedule he will have the chance to do so...

Stay the course, Build the Monster, and who knows...

Quite often, high profile head coaches just don't work out... I don't want the Shanahan/RedSkins debacle here in Indy.

Dungy is a different breed of coach from the norm and was more a leader and inspiration than an actual X's and O's guy. His speed based Tampa 2 that had the DEs ignore running lanes was inherently flawed. Many football fans diacredit quiet leadership and just point to Manning as the reason foe his success in Indy, and as little a hand as Dungy had in designing the offense, thats largely correct as far as strategem and tangible numbers go.

Chucky is a yeller. He is a schemer of offenses and a whisperer to QBs in a league predicated on the passing game. It makes him a very sexy prospect compared to quiet old Dungy and his silly Tampa 2.

Of course it was largely with a Dungy built team that Gruden had his most success, but lets not remember that.

Gruden won with a team that Dungy built? By that rationale Dungy won with a team Jim Mora built.

I think this has been the "elephant in the room", that is coming into the season we really didn't know if Chuck is a good coach or not.  I'll leave that decision up to the people who get paid to run the team, but one thing I can't ignore is how the team has been awful in the first half of our last many games.  To me, that is an indication of being ill-prepared.  If were completely because of injuries or talent, we wouldn't be better in the second half.  Of course, this also could mean the coaches are good at making halftime adjustments.

Chuck Pagano to be fired immediately do to this awful thread!

Congratulations to the entire Colts Organization for winning the 2013 AFC South division Championship!!!

Lets go to work with Rodgers, Brazill and the boys and make it happen.  Lets start playing Colts football again....Lets get creative on defense....More Josh McNary......the man brings it every play....Lets keep chopping wood...!  Go Colts!

Indianapolis_Colts_Logo_Fathead_NFL_Wall

Pags may not be the coach he was before he got sick / got better, but it may be a little early to tell whether there is still the fire in his belly to be a HC. Hamilton may be a good college coach, but he's absolutely terrible as a pro OC coach. Manusky as a DC is a total mystery to me - too much variation. But, whatever, or whoever, the coaches, we definitely have a coaching problem - a disconnect between player capability and the roles they are being tasked to play. The "Manning" solution won't work - which was to let him do whatever he wanted. Same with Freeney, same with everyone else under the umbrella of Tampa 2.

I'd recommend we hire a smart, NFL experienced offensive coordinator, and let everyone else prove themselves next year. That would make 3 OC's in three years, definitely not a good thing, but better than staying with what we have, and expecting something different.

Oh, and I'd put some constraints on our GM until he gets more experience, too. He reminds me too much of a GM, named Irsay, we once had.

I don't even understand the reason for this post. Why even suggest that we release Pagano? We just won the AFC South last night. Just relax. There is no need to panic here. 

Why even have Bill Cowher on that list? He has coached in a real game since 2005. He's a media pundit now & gets well compensated for doing it. Jon Gruden was made for MNF. He's not leaving his comfortable ESPN gig anytime soon either. 

Why is anyone harping on Pagano & his coaching staff anyway. Is INDY's season over like Mike Shanahan's job & season is? Nope. Sometimes, the wisest decision is to just stay the course. 

Good God, can we please stop with these stupid "fire Pagano" threads. It is not going to happen...period!!! Just because theres a bunch of wanna be coaches on this forum that actually believe they know what they're talking about doesn't make it true. Most of those calling for a new HC don't know football from their @$$. It's obvious from their other posts that football was somethimg they just started watching in the last yr. Or 2(at most).

Good God, can we please stop with these stupid "fire Pagano" threads. It is not going to happen...period!!! Just because theres a bunch of wanna be coaches on this forum that actually believe they know what they're talking about doesn't make it true. Most of those calling for a new HC don't know football from their *. It's obvious from their other posts that football was somethimg they just started watching in the last yr. Or 2(at most).

Completely agree. I don't understand it.

Does everyone think we should be 16-0 and win every game by 45?

Get a grip people. The Colts could very well shock the world and go all the way. They still have three games left to get on track. They aren't that far away.

Completely agree. I don't understand it.

Does everyone think we should be 16-0 and win every game by 45?

Get a grip people. The Colts could very well shock the world and go all the way. They still have three games left to get on track. They aren't that far away.

I always remember what then Mike Holmgren, HC of the Seattle Seahawks said, "Whether we back into the Playoffs or not, who cares?" Precisely, a date to the prom is a date to the prom.

Translation: No one wants to denied access to the Big Dance & even if no other pundits like the flavor of our punch [current performance on our defensive or offensive line] there is still plenty of time to spike the punch & give it some kick. Making the most of our Playoff opportunity is the only thing that matters now. 

I always thought the Bears defense under Ron Rivera were superior to the subsequent Tampa 2 defenses.

Without question!

I did like the way Lovie Smith's teams played more press coverage than the typical 'bend but don't break' mentality....but with today's rules I feel the Cover 2 is both outdated and ineffective as a base defense.  I did not 'love it' under Dungy.  37-34 games tried my patience and my heart....

Cowher is being considered for the Houston job, so is Gruden.

They will be hired and gone before Irsay realizes that Ground Chuck can't cut it.

Whisenhut will get it IMO....Gruden and Cower love to hear themselves talk on TV!!!  I kind of like listening to Gruden...he has grown on me...and have always loved Cowher.  :)

I think this has been the "elephant in the room", that is coming into the season we really didn't know if Chuck is a good coach or not.  I'll leave that decision up to the people who get paid to run the team, but one thing I can't ignore is how the team has been awful in the first half of our last many games.  To me, that is an indication of being ill-prepared.  If were completely because of injuries or talent, we wouldn't be better in the second half.  Of course, this also could mean the coaches are good at making halftime adjustments.

Does your avatar have Turf-Paw?  :)

Thats not surprising. Every NFL fan wants their team to hire Chucky. I dont know why, but they do. Hes the most popular FA head coach in a long time.

I think gruden is one of the most overestimated coaches, he had his succes with very talented teams, and smartly left for a hughly paid tv gig.. no way is he comming back to coaching and possibly tarnishing his "legacy"..

as someone said, he's a yeller, that's why tv suits him best..

Gruden won with a team that Dungy built? By that rationale Dungy won with a team Jim Mora built.

That is silly and Gruden certainly won with a team Dungy built but he couldn't maintain that winning tradition. Mora built nothing and the Colts were very bad until Dungy took over. I would take Dungy as a coach any time.  :D

That is silly and Gruden certainly won with a team Dungy built but he couldn't maintain that winning tradition. Mora built nothing and the Colts were very bad until Dungy took over. I would take Dungy as a coach any time.  :D

Dungy didn't build the Bucs and Mora didn't build the Colts.

Dungy didn't build the Bucs and Mora didn't build the Colts.

I don't know what world you are living in but Dungy certainly did build the Bucs. Gruden came in with the same players and won a Super Bowl. Dungy didn't quite get there with them. Ask Warren Sapp who built that team.  :D

I don't know what world you are living in but Dungy certainly did build the Bucs. Gruden came in with the same players and won a Super Bowl. Dungy didn't quite get there with them. Ask Warren Sapp who built that team.  :D

Sapp is a fool. Dungy was never GM. In fact, the core of that team, Sapp, Brooks, and Lynch were drafted by Sam Wyche. Gruden won more playoff games in one year than Dungy did in his entire career in Tampa.

Sapp is a fool. Dungy was never GM. In fact, the core of that team, Sapp, Brooks, and Lynch were drafted by Sam Wyche. Gruden won more playoff games in one year than Dungy did in his entire career in Tampa.

Then you never give the coach any credit for building a team? Yes, those players were drafted by Wyche but it was Dungy's system that made them winners. That not winning playoff games is why Dungy was fired in Tampa. That doesn't mean that the team Gruden inherited was not his because it certainly was. It was just like the team that Caldwell took to the Super Bowl was Dungy's team whether you like it or not. :D

Then you never give the coach any credit for building a team? Yes, those players were drafted by Wyche but it was Dungy's system that made them winners. That not winning playoff games is why Dungy was fired in Tampa. That doesn't mean that the team Gruden inherited was not his because it certainly was. It was just like the team that Caldwell took to the Super Bowl was Dungy's team whether you like it or not. :D

Just accept the fact that Dungy underachieved with the talent given to him. I don't know why fans like you feel the need to give Dungy extra credit for Tampa after Gruden actually won with "his" team.

Just accept the fact that Dungy underachieved with the talent given to him. I don't know why fans like you feel the need to give Dungy extra credit for Tampa after Gruden actually won with "his" team.

Dungy was winning there. Gruden just got them to the Super Bowl. I don't care if you are a Dungy hater but he did a great job in Tampa and an even better job in Indy. Will you give him credit when he goes into the HoF? I doubt it. :D

Dungy was winning there. Gruden just got them to the Super Bowl. I don't care if you are a Dungy hater but he did a great job in Tampa and an even better job in Indy. Will you give him credit when he goes into the HoF? I doubt it. :D

"Gruden just got them to the Super Bowl". Lol

I absolutely believe Dungy underachieved in Tampa. But Gruden took the exact same pieces Dungy put in place and won with it all with them, then couldnt build his own guys up. Gruden is great when the talent is already developed and in place. Dont ask him to rebuild your franchise from the ground up.

I absolutely believe Dungy underachieved in Tampa. But Gruden took the exact same pieces Dungy put in place and won with it all with them, then couldnt build his own guys up. Gruden is great when the talent is already developed and in place. Dont ask him to rebuild your franchise from the ground up.

He did it in Oakland

I understand the team is struggling, but it's not easy to win Divisions in the NFL, especially when your top WR, TE, and RB are lost for the season.

Pags just needs to build some confidence, and with our closing schedule he will have the chance to do so...

Stay the course, Build the Monster, and who knows...

Quite often, high profile head coaches just don't work out... I don't want the Shanahan/RedSkins debacle here in Indy.

Nobody wants Shanahan here...but there are guys out there who are head-and-shoulders above Pagano and always will be.