Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coach Chuck deer in the headlights

jblastick

come on lets not blame it on chuck pagano, grigson, and pep,,,,,,,,,,even tho i want pep fired but our offense was good in the beginning til we got injuries....pep was doin a decent job.........but now they know that da rick rogers is a play maker and same with lavon brazil.......they will work somethin out........

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure seems to me that he has that deer in the headlights look on the sidelines. I don't think anybody can feel that we go into any game feeling we're going to out coach anybody. Honeymoon is over bud. Fair or not, expectations have changes and YOU were the one that refused to use the word rebuild.

Well.....

The Colts beat the 49ers,  the Seahawks and the Broncos this year....   three teams that all have a shot at winning the Super Bowl.

So,   there's an argument to be made that he out-coached Jim Harbaugh,  Pete Carroll and John Fox.

There are reasons we're losing the way we are.....     the biggest part of that is injuries....

We're still heading toward 10-6 which is where most fans had predicted for the Colts at the start of the season.

How bout we wait till we get a better interior O-line then before we try to run Pagano out of town. Rebuilding an entire roster doesn't happen in basically 1 offseason(1st offseason didn't count because we had no money to work with). I'm disappointed in the performance of the team too, but when ya don't have the talent, then it's hard to do what you're wanting to do.

BTW: I'm of the opinion that if not for all the injuries, we'd be playing much better now.

Would you have brought back McGlynn after last season. They had ALL the latitude in the World to Not do that to Andrew.

I have to agree that Pagano looks like he is in over his head. I think The Ownership is going to give him more time than he deserves and that's bad for us fans because of his affliction with Leukemia, but a Leader has to be, unfortunately, a Physical presence, too. Any weakness is a detriment in his ability to lead. And hes shown mental weakness, too. Not having the answers to the teams chronic problems is a weakness that is picked up by the team as a whole. And finally, if you were brought in with great Defensive as your calling card as coach and your team is continuously getting outplayed on the defensive side of the football, it says one thing. You are NOT able to be the Leader that this team needs. Love him as a man for beating Leukemia, but as a Head-coach on an NFL team, he needs leadership training.

Would you have brought back McGlynn after last season. They had ALL the latitude in the World to Not do that to Andrew.

Yes, but as a backup. They should have signed 2 starting guards along with Cherilous. We'll see if Grigson learned anything from last offseason. O-line has to be addressed again this offseason, hopefully with another guard and starting center. I'm not sold on Holmes being anymore than a backup and hopefully Thomas can come back fully healthy. If it were me making the calls. I would sign starting C, starting G, and 2 lower cost Guards just for depth. McGlynn and Satele would be gone. I would also make a change with the o-line coach. Even though our talent is low on the interior line, it's hard for me to believe that they are as terrible as they have looked. They should still be able to recognize stunts, know who block, and not get overpowered constantly. That is on the coaching and not just the players.

I have to agree that Pagano looks like he is in over his head. I think The Ownership is going to give him more time than he deserves and that's bad for us fans because of his affliction with Leukemia, but a Leader has to be, unfortunately, a Physical presence, too. Any weakness is a detriment in his ability to lead. And hes shown mental weakness, too. Not having the answers to the teams chronic problems is a weakness that is picked up by the team as a whole. And finally, if you were brought in with great Defensive as your calling card as coach and your team is continuously getting outplayed on the defensive side of the football, it says one thing. You are NOT able to be the Leader that this team needs. Love him as a man for beating Leukemia, but as a Head-coach on an NFL team, he needs leadership training.

He just looks lost on the sidelines...he gets that puzzled look on his face, like "what's happenning?"...and then all of a sudden he claps his hands together a few times and seems to wake up......very strange.

My God if the Internet was around when Cowher, Parcells, or other good coaches were having teething pains in their early years....Every fan base would have them run out of town. We are 8-5, incredibly injured, and Pagano is in his first real season as HC. Give the man some time for God's sake! He does need to get more aggressive (not going for it on 4th down when behind by 2 TDS) but I think he will learn...

My God if the Internet was around when Cowher, Parcells, or other good coaches were having teething pains in their early years....Every fan base would have them run out of town. We are 8-5, incredibly injured, and Pagano is in his first real season as HC. Give the man some time for God's sake! He does need to get more aggressive (not going for it on 4th down when behind by 2 TDS) but I think he will learn...

And how many years will it take to 'learn'?

Amen!

Using the measure of panic and completely unrealistic expectations some folks are expressing here on this Forum....Jimmy Johnson would have been fired from the Cowboys after his 2nd season of NFL coaching. Jimmy Johnson mind you!

He was 1-15 his first season and 7-9 his second season....with full control of the draft process and NO salary cap.

The areas we can improve in are screaming loud enough, with some that can be addressed on the fly and some that have to wait for the off season....after our 2nd straight playoff appearance, by the way.

Well, I admire and appreciate the positive spin on this, but Cowher, Parcells or Bill Belichick (someone I definitely don't like, but have to respect his coaching skills) didn't get run out of opposing stadiums consistently on the defensive side of the football like the Colts keep getting. All those coaches responded by dealing with and Mastering team issues and they didnt let it linger. Game after game, the Colts start slow, the Defense doesn't attack and show a dominant mentality, as this coach assured Mr. Irsay they'd have and unfortunately, that's the sign of a mentally weak team. We know the Colts can play shut down defense....we've seen it. Look at the film of the 49ers game, the second half of the Seahawks game and the first 3 quarters of the Broncos game. People don't understand how much of this game is mental. I've lead teams in the Military to achieve things far greater than anyone, including themselves, thought were possible, so I know that this team, with the personnel they have RIGHT now...can be Championship contenders. This Coach doesn't have the mental make-up (so far) of a Championship coach. Keeping it positive, I hope that changes.

Most HCs either 'got it' or they don't.

Bruce Arians took the Colts to 11-5 after their 2-14 season.  He is also coaching the Cards to an 8-5 record today after their 5-11 season last year. Arians gets it and has a feel for NFL head coaching.

Pagano is lost in the HC position....how many years before Irsay figures this out?

Amen!

Using the measure of panic and completely unrealistic expectations some folks are expressing here on this Forum....Jimmy Johnson would have been fired from the Cowboys after his 2nd season of NFL coaching. Jimmy Johnson mind you!

He was 1-15 his first season and 7-9 his second season....with full control of the draft process and NO salary cap.

The areas we can improve in are screaming loud enough, with some that can be addressed on the fly and some that have to wait for the off season....after our 2nd straight playoff appearance, by the way.

The problem is that the expectations have changed. Not just in the mind of the fans but on the minds of the front office (see the Richardson trade) and Irsay. Pagano and Grigs refused to use the word rebuild. Their words....not mine.

The problem is that the expectations have changed. Not just in the mind of the fans but on the minds of the front office (see the Richardson trade) and Irsay. Pagano and Grigs refused to use the word rebuild. Their words....not mine.

Grigson should be careful not to tie his future to Pagano's.

Exactly. Check out the records of the the teams that keep switching coaches and coordinators. For the vast part.....it ain't pretty.

Most HCs either 'got it' or they don't.

Bruce Arians took the Colts to 11-5 after their 2-14 season. He is also coaching the Cards to an 8-5 record today after their 5-11 season last year. Arians gets it and has a feel for NFL head coaching.

Pagano is lost in the HC position....how many years before Irsay figures this out?

weird, i was pretty sure the colts are going to win the division.

How many teams could lose all the starters we did and manage to still win 8 or 9 games?

That I can agree to as an accomplishment. Winning this division this year though is basically just a gold star for being the team that displayed some level of competency.

Pep Hamilton is incompetant, his offense doesn't work and it's been proven by what happens in the first half every single week the only way this team scores points is by abandoning his offense and letting Luck throw the ball every down.

I don't understand why this teams staff thinks they're the Chiefs and can win running the ball and playing defense, newsflash the defense is garbage and the running game is worse than garbage and by the time they let Luck play like he should it's 21-0, if i was Andrew Luck when my contract expired i would go play somewhere where my skills are used properly and the coaching staff doesn't think im Alex Smith Jr.

Anyone who doesn't agree with this just doesn't see the whole picture, you draft an elite talent and try and make him a game manager in a league where everyone is throwing the ball and i wouldn't mind if they could actually run the ball but how often can you plough into the line for 0 yards on 1st and 2nd down every week before you change your ways, what on earth is this franchise doing?

Pep Hamilton is incompetant, his offense doesn't work and it's been proven by what happens in the first half every single week the only way this team scores points is by abandoning his offense and letting Luck throw the ball every down.

I don't understand why this teams staff thinks they're the Chiefs and can win running the ball and playing defense, newsflash the defense is garbage and the running game is worse than garbage and by the time they let Luck play like he should it's 21-0, if i was Andrew Luck when my contract expired i would go play somewhere where my skills are used properly and the coaching staff doesn't think im Alex Smith Jr.

I think peps play calling will get better after the ariel showing we put up today against cincinnati. I hope it showed him and pagano how much their handcufffing lucks ability by trying to force the run with an O line that is not good enough to succeed. Luck was todays #1 fantasy qb today mind you.. and most of that came in just the scond half....In my opinion if we start rogers and brazill on the outside with ty in the slot. We could be very good on offense again. We put up 28 points against a very good defense today soo I'm glad to see us passing again. However the defensI've secondary really needs to step up.... if we can continue to build upon today and play better D. Then look out we might catch on fire come playoff time!.

I think he was just astonished at the TD reversal.

Agreed what was he going to do there?  If he blew a gasket it wasn't going to get over turned and could have drawn an un-sportsmanlike penalty flag.  Also coaches don't react like fans do.  They turn their attention to what has to be done next.  Also, if he wants his players to keep their cool (something they are having a major issue doing lately) he has to do the same first. 

Pagano is a good guy but he's nothing more then a defensive backs coach. We were down 14 with 7 mins left in the 4th and he decides to punt the ball. I already knew that he wasn't a good x's and o's guy but the decision to punt the ball was the final nail in the coffin. I'm done with this guy he knows absolutely nothing about football except db's. If he continues with this " run the ball stop the run mentality" next year we will find ourselves competing with the Jags for last place in the division.You have to play to your team strengths which should be high octane passing, not the 1985 style of football that he's accustomed too.

I definitely didn't care for the punt late in the 4th.....

Chuck doesn't take any chances, ever. Especially when they're needed. Being conservative works when you've got big talent (this team doesn't) and often play with a lead (this team doesn't). 

Mind boggling and frustrating to watch. I think we could've won today and the coaches were the difference. 

Pagano is a good guy but he's nothing more then a defensive backs coach. We were down 14 with 7 mins left in the 4th and he decides to punt the ball. I already knew that he wasn't a good x's and o's guy but the decision to punt the ball was the final nail in the coffin. I'm done with this guy he knows absolutely nothing about football except db's. If he continues with this " run the ball stop the run mentality" next year we will find ourselves competing with the Jags for last place in the division.You have to play to your team strengths which should be high octane passing, not the 1985 style of football that he's accustomed too.

I got news for ya, just about every coach in the league would punt in that situation. Colts were on their own 24 yd. line. If they would have went for it and didn't get it. That would have sealed the game right then. At least with punting, they had a chance to get a turnover deeper in Cincy territory. This is why none of us here are coaches, because believe it or not, were not as smart as we think we are.

Not really....Irsay, Pagano and Grigson can characterize it any way they want to...but it is and continues to be a rebuild.

You just can't flush out 90% of your roster in a 18 month period and refer to it as anything but a rebuild. Why they try I don't know.... but any rational Colts fan should be able to see it for what it is and allow the team to develop another season or two.

A starting point of 2 straight playoff seasons is something you build off of....not scrap altogether.