Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What free agent did we miss out on?

Superman

Leading up to this past offseason, there were a lot of players on Colts fans' wish lists. I don't think we got any of the guys that most people were asking for, but we did make some nice acquisitions. Some have worked out better than we expected, others haven't worked out that well, others are injured. I like our approach, but I think we maybe could have done better in certain areas.

So I'm curious, what one free agent do you think we should have signed that would make a difference on our team right now? Knowing how injuries have gone, how much players signed for with other teams, how certain signings have worked out for other teams, etc., what one free agent from this past offseason would you have signed?

By the way, I'm not complaining about Grigson at all. I really like our GM. A lot of fans wanted to break the bank on guys like Mike Wallace, Ed Reed, Paul Kruger, etc. None of those guys are having good seasons (Erik Walden has arguably been better than Kruger, at half the price.) But no GM bats 1.000. So with the unfair benefit of hindsight, what would you have done?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, I think I'd have signed Louis Vasquez to play RG. Would have been a huge difference for our offensive line. Reportedly, he wanted to go to the Broncos and didn't really entertain offers from anyone else, so maybe this wasn't an option at all.

After losing Reggie, I see how we would have benefited from having Welker. He certainly would have been more reliable and productive than DHB has been, and he would be here taking pressure off of Hilton now. Like Vasquez, he didn't really entertain offers from anyone other than the Pats and Broncos.

On defense, I think either Shaun Phillips or Daryl Smith would have been great adds. Phillips is playing really well in Denver (that's three Denver acquisitions, by the way), and Smith would have improved the weakest part of our defense at ILB (he has 86 tackles and 2.5 sacks in Baltimore). 

DRC. Just to continue the Broncos trend.

Man, they had a crazy good offseason. Aside from the fax thing.

Dumervil is playing well, but the fax thing wasn't really the problem. They were ready to cut him, and had said so for weeks. Get rid of the fax thing and it's the same exact outcome.

That loss really sucked after Miller was suspended, but now that he's back, it's not really that big of a loss. Phillips is getting it done better than Dumervil did last year.

Vasquez or Levitre.

For the money, I'd take Vasquez. Some questioned his movement, but he played right tackle for a while this season. I think he moves well enough, and he's been on his game at RG. And he's making about $2m/year less than Levitre, with a smaller signing bonus and two fewer years on his deal. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

For the money, I'd take Vasquez. Some questioned his movement, but he played right tackle for a while this season. I think he moves well enough, and he's been on his game at RG. And he's making about $2m/year less than Levitre, with a smaller signing bonus and two fewer years on his deal. 

Agree...but really anybody that would be starting now instead of McGlynn would have been worth it.

Makes you wonder what kind of FA signings we missed out on when he was here.

But our 'Exec of the Decade' didn't believe in them. And the few he made didn't go well, so rather than admit he was a poor talent evaluator, he blamed the premise of signing FA's as flawed, rather than his own undisputable skill-set. 

For me, I think I'd have signed Louis Vasquez to play RG. Would have been a huge difference for our offensive line. Reportedly, he wanted to go to the Broncos and didn't really entertain offers from anyone else, so maybe this wasn't an option at all.

After losing Reggie, I see how we would have benefited from having Welker. He certainly would have been more reliable and productive than DHB has been, and he would be here taking pressure off of Hilton now. Like Vasquez, he didn't really entertain offers from anyone other than the Pats and Broncos.

On defense, I think either Shaun Phillips or Daryl Smith would have been great adds. Phillips is playing really well in Denver (that's three Denver acquisitions, by the way), and Smith would have improved the weakest part of our defense at ILB (he has 86 tackles and 2.5 sacks in Baltimore). 

Why would we sign Welker when the plan was to keep Hilton in the slot ? Are you saying we should have signed both guards or Thomas was a bad sign ?

Vasquez without a doubt......also would have liked to retain Antonio Johnson who I felt did a more then admirable job as a NT (Not great and there were mistakes but I think he was more consistent then Franklin has been) over signing Aubrayo Franklin who I think has been disappointing and is probably on his last legs the NFL

Vasquez without a doubt......also would have liked to retain Antonio Johnson who I felt did a more then admirable job as a NT (Not great and there were mistakes but I think he was more consistent then Franklin has been) over signing Aubrayo Franklin who I think has been disappointing and is probably on his last legs the NFL

I wonder if this issue with Franklin is that he's forced to play more snaps than anyone anticipated.

Chapman has practically been missing in action for most of the season.   A knee that he must've hurt either in a practice or an early game.     I don't think hauling 340-350 pounds around helps either.

But without Chapman to share the expected load, I think Franklin has been out on the field more than anyone intended.   At least,  that's my hunch.

The money thing is likely an effect of him wanting to play for the Bronco's.  He basically took a deal below his market rate to play for the Broncos who are obvious SB contenders.  

Why would we sign Welker when the plan was to keep Hilton in the slot ? Are you saying we should have signed both guards or Thomas was a bad sign ?

Hilton didn't have to be relegated to the slot. A lot of us fans insisted that he would be, but Reggie was playing the slot more than Hilton was. I wasn't a Welker advocate, but without Reggie, having Welker would be a big deal right now.

I like the Thomas signing. I'm saying in addition to him.

The money thing is likely an effect of him wanting to play for the Bronco's.  He basically took a deal below his market rate to play for the Broncos who are obvious SB contenders.  

Maybe, but he was expected to be in the $6m/year range prior to free agency, while Levitre was expected to get $8m/year. That's just about what they got.

I wonder if this issue with Franklin is that he's forced to play more snaps than anyone anticipated.

Chapman has practically been missing in action for most of the season.   A knee that he must've hurt either in a practice or an early game.     I don't think hauling 340-350 pounds around helps either.

But without Chapman to share the expected load, I think Franklin has been out on the field more than anyone intended.   At least,  that's my hunch.

Chapman has only missed three games. Of course, in those three games, Franklin has looked his worst. I agree with your theory. We're asking Franklin to carry the load lately, and he's not up to the job. Hughes has looked decent, I think. 

"I don't think hauling 340-350 pounds around helps either"

That was my worry about drafting him

Yep. "The Power of Peyton". He's a big draw......in a few years, hopefully Luck will draw 'em in as well....

I heard a story about when Toler signed with the Colts, that he had asked for advice from an Aunt who is an exec. for a womens NBA team, apparently he was trying to decide between the Colts & another team & his Aunts advice was "The Colts, it's not IF they will win a Super Bowl, only When..."

or something like that...

maybe I heard that story on this forum, can't remember, either way, I think maybe the Colts may already be a draw for some FA's not just chasing money...

"I don't think hauling 340-350 pounds around helps either"

That was my worry about drafting him

Well....   he was 316 in college and at the combine.

He's put on at least 24 pounds since he came to the NFL.

Very common that young guys think they have to get much bigger in the NFL.

I think the Colts have made a mistake letting him get that big.     I'd be more comfortable if he was in the range of 325.

At his height,  he's 6'0 5/8"  I think that's still a lot of weight and plenty big enough.

But, I get out-voted!!      :dunno:

Chapman has only missed three games. Of course, in those three games, Franklin has looked his worst. I agree with your theory. We're asking Franklin to carry the load lately, and he's not up to the job. Hughes has looked decent, I think. 

If he's only missed 3 games,  then in the games he's been eligible I don't get the sense that he's played very much.   I look for him all the time and I just don't see him on the field much.

I'd love to know how many snaps a game he's getting and how many of those are things like blocking for a field goal?

Again,  just thinking out loud....

I heard a story about when Toler signed with the Colts, that he had asked for advice from an Aunt who is an exec. for a womens NBA team, apparently he was trying to decide between the Colts & another team & his Aunts advice was "The Colts, it's not IF they will win a Super Bowl, only When..."

or something like that...

maybe I heard that story on this forum, can't remember, either way, I think maybe the Colts may already be a draw for some FA's not just chasing money...

Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano also have a great sales pitch, from what I can tell. Everyone they brought in eventually signed. Landry, DHB and Bradshaw all considered other options at length, and wound up signing. They held on to Reggie the year before. 

I think the Colts are already able to attract free agents. That draw should only get better as the team matures.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano also have a great sales pitch, from what I can tell. Everyone they brought in eventually signed. Landry, DHB and Bradshaw all considered other options at length, and wound up signing. They held on to Reggie the year before. 

I think the Colts are already able to attract free agents. That draw should only get better as the team matures.

Their sales pitch: "ANDREW LUCK"........"sign here please".

Hilton didn't have to be relegated to the slot. A lot of us fans insisted that he would be, but Reggie was playing the slot more than Hilton was. I wasn't a Welker advocate, but without Reggie, having Welker would be a big deal right now.

I like the Thomas signing. I'm saying in addition to him.

Yes Welker would be nice if we knew Wayne would go down. But I guess you could then say it would have been nice to sign another cheap RB as we lost 2 of them. Then we would (maybe) still have our 2014 first. Lots of conjecture in this thread . Are you bored today ?

Yes Welker would be nice if we knew Wayne would go down. But I guess you could then say it would have been nice to sign another cheap RB as we lost 2 of them. Then we would (maybe) still have our 2014 first. Lots of conjecture in this thread . Are you bored today ?

It's Tuesday. The Colts played five days ago, and don't play for another five days. All ESPN wants to talk about is the Patriots not getting the PI call. What do you think?

Yeah, tons of conjecture. But I like to look back and think about what could have been or could not have been. Welker is a stretch, and because of the guys we had he didn't make sense. But it's different than the RB situation. We did sign a cheap back, and we lost him along with the projected starter, in the span of a couple weeks. We had depth already, and it's been devastated with the injuries.

We were never deep at receiver. I liked the guys we had to begin with, but we always knew that we didn't have depth behind the starters. Add to that the fact that DHB hasn't played well, and we're really kind of sad at receiver.

That's what I was thinking, so I don't think we missed out on anybody that the front office wanted. Now in the fan world we missed out a couple players

Not quite the same thing. Word is we wanted Vasquez, but he never came in for a visit. There were a couple other players as well.

Not quite the same thing. Word is we wanted Vasquez, but he never came in for a visit. There were a couple other players as well.

Was that ever confirmed by someone from the organization? Donald Thomas signed pretty quickly the same day as free agency started on March 12th

Was that ever confirmed by someone from the organization? Donald Thomas signed pretty quickly the same day as free agency started on March 12th

Of course not. The team doesn't come out and name everyone they were interested in. But leading up to free agency, there were reports suggesting very strongly that the Colts were interested. One of those was fueled by Vasquez's agent.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/feb/25/Chargers-draft-free-agency/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/08/louis-vasquez-wants-to-explore-every-option/

It's impossible to know what's true and what's made up. But we did hire Jimmy Raye III from the Chargers, so the link makes sense.