Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pounding Peyton

bayone

Second-half Storylines: 

Pounding Peyton

The bye comes at the perfect time for Peyton Manning, who has come down from his historic pace the past three weeks and is getting knocked around much more than he is accustomed.

Losing left tackle Ryan Clady, a true pillar, looks like a bigger deal each week, and there is still a lot of football to go, and plenty of weather likely to come as well 

Can they get settled at the tackle spot?  ((( MY NOTE _ can LT Clark Maintain a season of workload or will he decline from lack of durability as time goes on )))

Manning, at this stage of his career, isn't going to get stronger as the season goes on, and if he keeps getting hit at this rate, problems could arise. He's missed some practice time already -- he hates that -- because of ankle injuries and the ball has looked awkward coming out of late at times, too.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24156441/secondhalf-storylines-where-kcs-80-and-brady-struggles-what-gives

The goal for any team is to get to Peyton. The trick is acutally being able to do it. :)

The second half of the season is brutal for him given the defenses he will face - KC, Houston, Titans, Pats, Chargers. All of these teams, especially KC can rush the passer. If I was Fox, I would try to develp some type of run game. Peyton can't keep taking all the hits at his age and given his health.

The goal for any team is to get to Peyton. The trick is acutally being able to do it. :)

The second half of the season is brutal for him given the defenses he will face - KC, Houston, Titans, Pats, Chargers. All of these teams, especially KC can rush the passer. If I was Fox, I would try to develp some type of run game. Peyton can't keep taking all the hits at his age and given his health.

must help and chip incoming rushers too, this has been poor, Julius thomas admittingly  say Broncos for all his offense he  cant block well yet and still learning  and now too he is suffering an ankle injury and is a ? Mark  for next game at this point as is SS Duke I, OG Kuper & RT Franklin

must help and chip incoming rushers too, this has been poor, Julius thomas admittingly  say Broncos for all his offense he  cant block well yet and still learning  and now too he is suffering an ankle injury and is a ? Mark  for next game at this point as is SS Duke I, OG Kuper & RT Franklin

Sometimes I think it is easy to forget Peyton is 37. He makes the game look so easy but playing QB at that age is tough with the pounding.

Sometimes I think it is easy to forget Peyton is 37. He makes the game look so easy but playing QB at that age is tough with the pounding.

I agree, am.   Yet he's still continuing to put the numbers up, and getting the TD's.   (certainly not like the first few games, but seriously, who would have expected that pace to continue..??)

The Bye week came at a Great time for him.  I hope he gets healed up some over this time off... and can finish the season.  I love watching him.

its tough on a bruised body to heal , let alone when taking more hits each game

I havent seen as they say those dancing feet, that is Peyton in the pocket up on his toes almost, bouncing around here and there as he goes through his receiver  coverage sequence, much more flat footed from that 1 or 2 ankle issue and probable taping 

missing some throws easily hit point blank earlier in season like Welker on 3rd down with a good step ahead of defender along sideline and just overthrown 

In the years when the Patriots had their high-flying offenses, teams would just play them very physical... jam receivers at the line to take away the quick outs and slants, and get immediate pressure on Brady with creative (and varying) blitzes. When you play the style of offense the Broncos have played this year, it's hard not to be considered a "finesse" team. And the way to beat finesse teams, since the beginning of time, is to hit them in the mouth play after play. 

Manning has been taking some shots lately for sure, but he's so tough and durable... it's easy to forget that prior to his neck injury he hadn't missed a start since Bill Clinton was in the White House. 

It would definitely benefit Denver to take it down a gear or two and pound the run game a little more. Problem is they often have to score 30-40 points to win. 

In the years when the Patriots had their high-flying offenses, teams would just play them very physical... jam receivers at the line to take away the quick outs and slants, and get immediate pressure on Brady with creative (and varying) blitzes. When you play the style of offense the Broncos have played this year, it's hard not to be considered a "finesse" team. And the way to beat finesse teams, since the beginning of time, is to hit them in the mouth play after play. 

Manning has been taking some shots lately for sure, but he's so tough and durable... it's easy to forget that prior to his neck injury he hadn't missed a start since Bill Clinton was in the White House. 

It would definitely benefit Denver to take it down a gear or two and pound the run game a little more. Problem is they often have to score 30-40 points to win. 

u know they are going fast paced ,had 78 snaps last game besides PAT 44 passes 34 runs if i am correct ,l issue is Moreno is being burnt out and they want to save  him for playoffs , but no one else can do  what he does  man they even had Holiday in the backfield at 1 point and carried for 7 fast yards trying to give Moreno a braake and still we are talking about someone whi has yet to finish a season at RB

RB Backups needs to step up or Peyton will throw out arm at this pace, always said, and yes now its hindsight, Lacy was the pick but yes I didnt dislike Ball, just expected more  by now and Know Broncos were afraid Lacys toe would brake down, meanwhile he is credited with taking the pressure off Rodgers without all his weapons

a 1-2 of Moreno / Lacy would of been dynamite, but alas Broncos and peyton have to make do with what they got, I think CJ Anderson showed something and may get more reps

EDITED IN right on cue i first went to Denver post for the day and found this lead article

Broncos leaning on Knowshon Moreno but need to develop dependable back-ups

When it comes to their running backs rotation, the Broncos don't have the luxury of time. Moreno is nearing the point of overwork; only six players at his position in the NFL have played more snaps than he — Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, Frank Gore, Marshawn Lynch and Chris Johnson — and each is arguably more established at his role than the fourth-year Bronco. Finding some kind of sustainable rotation behind him is crucial, especially as the calendar turns from October to November, temperatures drop and the run game becomes more essential.

Read more: Broncos leaning on Knowshon Moreno but need to develop dependable back-ups - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24414490/broncos-leaning-moreno-but-need-develop-dependable-back#ixzz2jE1TSm5U 

ps

Next Year Broncos play at New England Again

just read this quote

Favorite quote on Sunday came from Peyton Manning: "I could probably be on the injury report every week, under 'body.' "  --- its under NFL.com power ratings

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/10/30/5046956/denver-broncos-2013-power-rankings-movin-on-up

i am very tired, if u guys quote me i may be asleep, put me on IR to please

Another way to slow down a pass rush is to speed up the game...wear them out....and that is the balance Denver has to find. Continuing to run the ball but keep the pace up tempo. Overall they have done a good job...but losing Clady...thats like losing Vollmer and we know how that hurts. Bump and run coverage is indeed good to play if you have the physical corners to do it. We did...and I know if Talib is healthy he certainly can. Seattle and KC have great corners too. Teams know that OL isn't rock solid. Peyton gets rid of it so fast on those quick timing routes if they can disrupt those...make him hold it a second longer...the pass rush can be on top of him hitting him and knocking his throws off mark. Granted...if you lose..Peyton then will hit those guys for bigger plays. I think that is the right way to attack him...and good teams with bigger corners will do this. If that line could get healthy I don't think you could stop that offense...but it isn't..and isnt going to get better..Peyton and the Broncos are playing a game of chicken and if their defense doesn't step up...they will lose...eventually...if it happens in the playoffs...it will be all Peytons fault again...sadly we've heard that all before....I've never seen one guy have to carry so much burden ever...and we thought it would end in Denver but its like everyone relaxes...Peyton will bail us out....I don't get it....

Another way to slow down a pass rush is to speed up the game...wear them out....and that is the balance Denver has to find. Continuing to run the ball but keep the pace up tempo. Overall they have done a good job...but losing Clady...thats like losing Vollmer and we know how that hurts. Bump and run coverage is indeed good to play if you have the physical corners to do it. We did...and I know if Talib is healthy he certainly can. Seattle and KC have great corners too. Teams know that OL isn't rock solid. Peyton gets rid of it so fast on those quick timing routes if they can disrupt those...make him hold it a second longer...the pass rush can be on top of him hitting him and knocking his throws off mark. Granted...if you lose..Peyton then will hit those guys for bigger plays. I think that is the right way to attack him...and good teams with bigger corners will do this. If that line could get healthy I don't think you could stop that offense...but it isn't..and isnt going to get better..Peyton and the Broncos are playing a game of chicken and if their defense doesn't step up...they will lose...eventually...if it happens in the playoffs...it will be all Peytons fault again...sadly we've heard that all before....I've never seen one guy have to carry so much burden ever...and we thought it would end in Denver but its like everyone relaxes...Peyton will bail us out....I don't get it....

excellent

I thought the Denver defense was at its 2013 peak last week vs. Washington..

..but I agree..it will be very interesting to see if KC presses the Denver receivers,,.

..because they aren't going to score 39 like The Colts did

Broncos have 5 road games left...and the night game in NE....will be a tester..

//But standatrds are so skewed......its always on Peyton ...I hear the arguement that the playoff losses are his fault and the SB win came due to running and defense.

Cutler and Romo can fail to make the playoffs every year and its the fault of the folks around them..and coaches

/anything other than a SB win for Manning/Brady is a loss of some kind .....its the curse of being them

I thought the Denver defense was at its 2013 peak last week vs. Washington..

..but I agree..it will be very interesting to see if KC presses the Denver receivers,,.

..because they aren't going to score 39 like The Colts did

Broncos have 5 road games left...and the night game in NE....will be a tester..

//But standatrds are so skewed......its always on Peyton ...I hear the arguement that the playoff losses are his fault and the SB win came due to running and defense.

Cutler and Romo can fail to make the playoffs every year and its the fault of the folks around them..and coaches

/anything other than a SB win for Manning/Brady is a loss of some kind .....its the curse of being them

Indeed...if you want to be considered the greatest...you have to play big in the biggest games. Peyton has had some in the playoffs but this isn't like MJ in basketball...which while a team sport is very much one on one against your defender. MJ could affect the outcome a lot more easier. Peyton needs some help....if he gets just enough...I see that team going far. Winning a championship is usually about the best TEAM winning...not like golf or tennis where the best PLAYER wins it. Peyton still needs to rise up but I think if he was to have a good run through the playoffs this year and win another SB....that should be enough to cement himself the greatest qbs with Montana and Brady without any arguements. He won't be able to do it alone..that much is obvious....and his time is growing shorter even though I think he plays 3 more years...the SB window is closing fast.

I have a difficult time with the 'it's always on Peyton's shoulders' mindset.

When he went to Denver, some said he now has such a better team around him, if he's healthy they'll flourish. However, he's back to the having to having to outscore teams, just like the 2000's Colts.

I think it's the whole philosophy, which seems to have followed him to Denver, and put them in this position.

Where did their running game go. Where did their defense go. I know Moreno is getting old, and they lost their LT.

They've lost players to injury, and suspensions, but all teams do.

I know, they're 7-1, but I agree with the base of this thread. Their schedule gets tougher, Peyton is taking a beating, and some key players are getting older. So, their near future may not be a rosy as their recent past.

Taking all this into consideration, if they get home field, they may need to luck out with the weather. They may be better off on the road in a more pass friendly environment. But that keeps them in a shootout environment. Doesn't seem their chances are quite as good if it's not. Or, they pull off a 2006 Colts playoff run.

The last half of their season will be interesting. Well, who's won't be.

Losing Clady was a crushing blow no question. The problem is running the ball because Hillman & Ball fumble the ball at the worst possible times. The Denver D has stopped teams when they absolutely had to. I will concede that protection has been an issue at times when it comes to giving Peyton a clean pocket, but fumbling in the ground game will be the achilles heel for the Broncos & finding another body besides Moreno that can actually pass block well. Moreno can't be expected to run or block on every single down all game long. 

Peyton is used to carrying a team on his shoulders & he could still do it if 18 had a consistent running game to relax his arm & keep opposing safeties honest & guessing.

u know they are going fast paced ,had 78 snaps last game besides PAT 44 passes 34 runs if i am correct ,l issue is Moreno is being burnt out and they want to save  him for playoffs , but no one else can do  what he does  man they even had Holiday in the backfield at 1 point and carried for 7 fast yards trying to give Moreno a braake and still we are talking about someone whi has yet to finish a season at RB

RB Backups needs to step up or Peyton will throw out arm at this pace, always said, and yes now its hindsight, Lacy was the pick but yes I didnt dislike Ball, just expected more  by now and Know Broncos were afraid Lacys toe would brake down, meanwhile he is credited with taking the pressure off Rodgers without all his weapons

a 1-2 of Moreno / Lacy would of been dynamite, but alas Broncos and peyton have to make do with what they got, I think CJ Anderson showed something and may get more reps

EDITED IN right on cue i first went to Denver post for the day and found this lead article

Broncos leaning on Knowshon Moreno but need to develop dependable back-ups

When it comes to their running backs rotation, the Broncos don't have the luxury of time. Moreno is nearing the point of overwork; only six players at his position in the NFL have played more snaps than he — Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, Frank Gore, Marshawn Lynch and Chris Johnson — and each is arguably more established at his role than the fourth-year Bronco. Finding some kind of sustainable rotation behind him is crucial, especially as the calendar turns from October to November, temperatures drop and the run game becomes more essential.

Read more: Broncos leaning on Knowshon Moreno but need to develop dependable back-ups - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24414490/broncos-leaning-moreno-but-need-develop-dependable-back#ixzz2jE1TSm5U 

Good article Barry! My favorite part is here: "The Broncos trust Moreno, but after that, it's murky. One game without a fumble is a good start. The issue is no longer about one player pulling away from the pack. Instead, it's about establishing the kind of consistency Moreno has this season." 

I will admit that Montee Ball played better against the Redskins on Sunday, but I need to see more churning & burning yards without any turnovers. No yards on the ground = no SB appearance this year. 

"Moreno is nearing the point of overwork;" Truer words were never more profound & accurate...If he goes down, turn out the lights in Denver it's over for good. 

Indeed...if you want to be considered the greatest...you have to play big in the biggest games. Peyton has had some in the playoffs but this isn't like MJ in basketball...which while a team sport is very much one on one against your defender. MJ could affect the outcome a lot more easier. Peyton needs some help....if he gets just enough...I see that team going far. Winning a championship is usually about the best TEAM winning...not like golf or tennis where the best PLAYER wins it. Peyton still needs to rise up but I think if he was to have a good run through the playoffs this year and win another SB....that should be enough to cement himself the greatest qbs with Montana and Brady without any arguements. He won't be able to do it alone..that much is obvious....and his time is growing shorter even though I think he plays 3 more years...the SB window is closing fast.

SW1 doesn't care for absolutes. I don't care how many rings Tom Brady wins or Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees...3, 4, 5...I just want Peyton to be the 1st QB to win 2 SBs with 2 different NFL franchises. I had this discussion with Jules once...Given the media love & publicity Peyton receives annually, Manning needs to win a 2nd ring to validate that attention & exposure. Will I still view him as a SB Champion? Yes, of course I will. Will I be disappointed if Manning comes up short? Absolutely. There are different plateaus of greatness &, if Peyton fails to acquire a 2nd SB ring, SW1 will have to find a way to deal with that reality. 

A "Shawshank Redemption" joke...Tim Robbins was born to play that film role. Besides, Tim can't throw worth a lick man...Peyton is no "fresh fish" LOL Chad! 

but tim can pound that rock with a liitle ( geologist ) hammer & create his own hole to get through

SW1 doesn't care for absolutes. I don't care how many rings Tom Brady wins or Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees...3, 4, 5...I just want Peyton to be the 1st QB to win 2 SBs with 2 different NFL franchises. I had this discussion with Jules once...Given the media love & publicity Peyton receives annually, Manning needs to win a 2nd ring to validate that attention & exposure. Will I still view him as a SB Champion? Yes, of course I will. Will I be disappointed if Manning comes up short? Absolutely. There are different plateaus of greatness &, if Peyton fails to acquire a 2nd SB ring, SW1 will have to find a way to deal with that reality. 

I love people that refer to themselves in the third person....or is your online persona a totally different person....either way..you get a like.

I love people that refer to themselves in the third person....or is your online persona a totally different person....either way..you get a like.

Hmmm...Does SW1 have an alter ego or do I have a split personality disorder? Good question...I will let you know once my Bob & Ralph voices return from vacation. Just Kidding!  ;)

Well yeah.....the goal of any defense is to knock the quarterback around and shake things up a bit.

The only way teams could really get Favre in his prime was to get him raddled through some great hits. He was never the same after being hit on. Call it what you want, bounty or no bounty, this is how Dallas and Minnesota used to beat him in his prime. The Bears did the same thing in the 2000's when it came to #4.

I don't see no difference with Manning. Once he gets hit enough, the mistakes happen, as seen in previous seasons. But it should go without saying those old Colts teams had some of the best offensive lines I ever seen. It's so strange to hear so many people put those old teams down and complain about them, when it was a pain just to reach him to begin with. The Steelers in 2005 were the only time I ever seen a team totally maul him and get all over him.

That is the problem in Denver. Manning is not used to taking hits or the pressure, since he's always had the best offensive lines to protect him and the Denver offensive line is no where near what it was in the Colts prime when they won that Super Bowl.

I don't think it even started with the game in Indy, the Jaguars got to him too. It's easier to say that all defenses are going to try and kill the quarterback, and especially a one dimensional team that hates running the ball like Denver and is 100% dependent on the man behind the center.

If Denver don't fix their offensive line and protect him, they are in for a very rude awakening when they play teams that can get to him and play aggressive with their receivers as seen in Indy.

Well yeah.....the goal of any defense is to knock the quarterback around and shake things up a bit.

The only way teams could really get Favre in his prime was to get him raddled through some great hits. He was never the same after being hit on. Call it what you want, bounty or no bounty, this is how Dallas and Minnesota used to beat him in his prime. The Bears did the same thing in the 2000's when it came to #4.

I don't see no difference with Manning. Once he gets hit enough, the mistakes happen, as seen in previous seasons. But it should go without saying those old Colts teams had some of the best offensive lines I ever seen. It's so strange to hear so many people put those old teams down and complain about them, when it was a pain just to reach him to begin with. The Steelers in 2005 were the only time I ever seen a team totally maul him and get all over him.

That is the problem in Denver. Manning is not used to taking hits or the pressure, since he's always had the best offensive lines to protect him and the Denver offensive line is no where near what it was in the Colts prime when they won that Super Bowl.

I don't think it even started with the game in Indy, the Jaguars got to him too. It's easier to say that all defenses are going to try and kill the quarterback, and especially a one dimensional team that hates running the ball like Denver and is 100% dependent on the man behind the center.

If Denver don't fix their offensive line and protect him, they are in for a very rude awakening when they play teams that can get to him and play aggressive with their receivers as seen in Indy.

The main reason people dont look as fondly on those teams around here is exactly what you mentioned, we realized Peyton or bust for years before 2011. Denver is the same way now, and its sad to see they couldnt be more balanced.

Indy fans are just jaded with the QB or bust team building strategy.