Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Analysis Notebook: Trent Richardson.

Dustin

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting read.  Only thing I'll say is that I noticed in the 2 plays they noted with nothing there, it appeared that if Richardson had run right at Castonzo there was a hole.  Not where the runs were designed in either case.  I think the moral to this story is we should run behind Castonzo and Thornton as much as possible.

Castonzo has been The Guy we could run behind since he got here. Even with Olson & Link beside him.
I hope that soon returns.
 Thornton has not been VG the last few weeks. Samson & McGlynn are what we think they are. Ugh!
Reitz & Coby look mediocre too. Ugh! Ugh!

Andrew sure is a WINNER.
Hopefully we will be much stouter up the middle next year.

Nope.  All nonsense.  Bad vision.  That's why he didn't get more yards.  YPC is too low.  Bad vision.

You're opinion, not fact.  He didn't develop bad vision.  If you watched him in college, you'd agree.  And I think his yards after first contact is pretty respectable.  Bad O line, some bad play selection.  But that all being said -  

My personal thoughts - NO Running Back is worth a first round pick, unless you have a premier O line already and you're not lacking in any other spots. But even then, if your line is good, there are plenty of RBs that would do fine.

Okay, the trade is made, no going back on that, so let's deal with it. Here are the facts - a good running game improves the passing game. And an effective passing game is the ONLY way to win in todays NFL. Not with defense, and not with a ground and pound offense.  Those days are over as long as the rules remain the same.

Bottom line, if TRich helps give us an effective passing game, he's a welcome addition to the team.  Don't blame him for losing a draft pick. 

You're opinion, not fact. He didn't develop bad vision. If you watched him in college, you'd agree. And I think his yards after first contact is pretty respectable. Bad O line, some bad play selection. But that all being said -

My personal thoughts - NO Running Back is worth a first round pick, unless you have a premier O line already and you're not lacking in any other spots. But even then, if your line is good, there are plenty of RBs that would do fine.

Okay, the trade is made, no going back on that, so let's deal with it. Here are the facts - a good running game improves the passing game. And an effective passing game is the ONLY way to win in todays NFL. Not with defense, and not with a ground and pound offense. Those days are over as long as the rules remain the same.

Bottom line, if TRich helps give us an effective passing game, he's a welcome addition to the team. Don't blame him for losing a draft pick.

We need a green font for sarcasm. ;)

You're opinion, not fact.  He didn't develop bad vision.  If you watched him in college, you'd agree.  And I think his yards after first contact is pretty respectable.  Bad O line, some bad play selection.  But that all being said -  

Okay, the trade is made, no going back on that, so let's deal with it. Here are the facts - a good running game improves the passing game. And an effective passing game is the ONLY way to win in todays NFL. Not with defense, and not with a ground and pound offense.  Those days are over as long as the rules remain the same.

Bottom line, if TRich helps give us an effective passing game, he's a welcome addition to the team.  Don't blame him for losing a draft pick. 

lol just being sarcastic.  I'm the biggest advocate for Trent on these boards.  And this article says exactly what I've been saying all along.  And the only counter-argument I get is "Brown runs well behind the same OL" or "YPC" or "Bad vision."  The article speaks to the first two, and I don't know where this bad vision argument started.  His vision was one of his more highly touted attributes int he draft.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you.....95% of the time Richardson runs into the back of his own blocker and gets stuffed. I WISH he had the peripheral vision to see where to escape when his blocker is stuffed.....but he doesn't. There have been multiple multiple times when he could have cut left or right behind his blocker and gotten more yardage...be he doesn't.....and it's really the difference between him and the other running backs.....the others Rashad before he got hurt and even brown seem to have way more peripheral vision and the ability to move left or right to get more yards. I know, I know Richardson has only 22 games under his belt...and I really DO hope he learns how to move left or right.....we surely could use a 4 or 5 yard average rather than the 2.3 or 2.4 he's got now.

lol just being sarcastic.  I'm the biggest advocate for Trent on these boards.  And this article says exactly what I've been saying all along.  And the only counter-argument I get is "Brown runs well behind the same OL" or "YPC" or "Bad vision."  The article speaks to the first two, and I don't know where this bad vision argument started.  His vision was one of his more highly touted attributes int he draft.

LOL!  Sorry dude.  I thought that you always had good posts, and maybe I was mis-reading something.

LOL!  Sorry dude.  I thought that you always had good posts, and maybe I was mis-reading something.

Naw, just get tired of all the premature "he's a bust" or "he's not worth a first round pick" blah blah blah.  Take one look at Marshawn Lynch's career.  He had two 1,000 yard seasons, and did nothing in 2009 (mostly because of legal troubles, but he still played pretty shotty).  Then, in 2010, he did bad his first 4 games with BUF, got traded to SEA and played no better than Trent is right now except for the game in teh playoffs he earned the name Beastmode.  Next playoff game, 2 yards on 4 carries.  Then 2011 is when he broke out and hasn't looked back since.

If Marshawn can do it 5 years down the road, Trent can do it sometime next year.  Afterall, they are very similar backs. But far too many people think that a RB can have 3 HC and OC changes in 22 games and come out and play like Adrian Peterson because he was the 3rd pick overall and should play like a 3rd pick.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you.....95% of the time Richardson runs into the back of his own blocker and gets stuffed. I WISH he had the peripheral vision to see where to escape when his blocker is stuffed.....but he doesn't. There have been multiple multiple times when he could have cut left or right behind his blocker and gotten more yardage...be he doesn't.....and it's really the difference between him and the other running backs.....the others Rashad before he got hurt and even brown seem to have way more peripheral vision and the ability to move left or right to get more yards. I know, I know Richardson has only 22 games under his belt...and I really DO hope he learns how to move left or right.....we surely could use a 4 or 5 yard average rather than the 2.3 or 2.4 he's got now.

Lost me at Rashad...and his average isn't 2.3 or 2.4.

The bad vision thing is the one that drives me nuts.  I agree that vision is a real trait running backs have, I disagree that anyone watching tape without a pretty complete knowledge of the play called on offense and all of the defensive assignments could possibly evaluate.  Some active NFL coaches might know, but no fan or pundit or data aggregating website could possibly know.

To your point, NFL talent scouts probably get pretty good access to the relevant data needed to quantify vision, at least at the college level.

You're opinion, not fact. He didn't develop bad vision. If you watched him in college, you'd agree. And I think his yards after first contact is pretty respectable. Bad O line, some bad play selection. But that all being said -

Okay, the trade is made, no going back on that, so let's deal with it. Here are the facts - a good running game improves the passing game. And an effective passing game is the ONLY way to win in todays NFL. Not with defense, and not with a ground and pound offense. Those days are over as long as the rules remain the same.

Bottom line, if TRich helps give us an effective passing game, he's a welcome addition to the team. Don't blame him for losing a draft pick.

You and several other believe you shouldn't draft a rb in the first round. Not sure when this fad started but here is a list going back to 2000 and most of those guys are top tier running backs. Not to mention we drafted Edge in the first round, Ricky Williams was a beast also.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/631329-1st-round-runningbacks-of-this-decade-a-recap-report-card

ya blew it

1340926113359.jpg

The bad vision thing is the one that drives me nuts. I agree that vision is a real trait running backs have, I disagree that anyone watching tape without a pretty complete knowledge of the play called on offense and all of the defensive assignments could possibly evaluate. Some active NFL coaches might know, but no fan or pundit or data aggregating website could possibly know.

To your point, NFL talent scouts probably get pretty good access to the relevant data needed to quantify vision, at least at the college level.

it's just something most people throw out there because you can't really argue with that because nobody really knows how to assess good or bad vision.at least the common fan doesn't. And because of that people wave it around like a magic talisman or trump card and hang their hat on that.

Naw, just get tired of all the premature "he's a bust" or "he's not worth a first round pick" blah blah blah.  Take one look at Marshawn Lynch's career.  He had two 1,000 yard seasons, and did nothing in 2009 (mostly because of legal troubles, but he still played pretty shotty).  Then, in 2010, he did bad his first 4 games with BUF, got traded to SEA and played no better than Trent is right now except for the game in teh playoffs he earned the name Beastmode.  Next playoff game, 2 yards on 4 carries.  Then 2011 is when he broke out and hasn't looked back since.

If Marshawn can do it 5 years down the road, Trent can do it sometime next year.  Afterall, they are very similar backs. But far too many people think that a RB can have 3 HC and OC changes in 22 games and come out and play like Adrian Peterson because he was the 3rd pick overall and should play like a 3rd pick.

Marshawyn had much better #s throughout his first few years and his whole career per http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10456/marshawn-lynch. (both rushing yards and ypc wise). I don't think the Bills had an Andrew Luck on their team either if im not mistaken. Also I know for a fact that they used him and continue to use him in power run formations. 

Why do we use so many power run formations? Sure we're winning games but has these schemes really helped us win?

with Bradshaw against the Niners I think it was the sole reason we won. Nothing fancy, just decent blocking, amazing effort by Bshaw(gave his body for the team in fact, which sucks :(...) and luck executed when he was called to. 

You and several other believe you shouldn't draft a rb in the first round. Not sure when this fad started but here is a list going back to 2000 and most of those guys are top tier running backs. Not to mention we drafted Edge in the first round, Ricky Williams was a beast also.http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/631329-1st-round-runningbacks-of-this-decade-a-recap-report-card

Wow, did you go through that list? Top tier RBs? There were way more failures than successes. I think I counted 3 A's and a whole bunch of D's and F's. I bet the average was a C or C minus.

If you accept their grades, the article proves the point. More importantly, the NFL teams believe that too. How many RBs were drafted in the first round the last couple years?

with Bradshaw against the Niners I think it was the sole reason we won. Nothing fancy, just decent blocking, amazing effort by Bshaw(gave his body for the team in fact, which sucks :(...) and luck executed when he was called to.

I just wonder how many times we can rely on the line with that scheme but your right, it helped a lot in that game. Now that Wayne is gone it seems we're probably not going to change.

Nope.  All nonsense.  Bad vision.  That's why he didn't get more yards.  YPC is too low.  Bad vision.

Vision can be coached. Trent has been coached by perennial losers. A year with our top-shelf coaching staff and he'll have a bunch of people here eating crow. 

I BELIEVE IN YOU, TRENT!!!

I don't think T. Rich's production, or lack of it, is solely on him. If you've watched the Colts games since we acquired him, you should know that he has mainly been asked to run the ball right up the Center, Guard gaps. Offensive play calling has been run on 1st down every time, predictable. You can't go into a power formation and bring every defensive guy into the box and expect a RB to be productive, especially with this offensive line. The guy ran for 950 yds and 11 td's last year for a horrible Browns team. The guy caught 51 passes for 367 yds and 1 TD. How many times have we thrown him the ball in the flat on a screen or a check down? Well I do know, it's 7 targets for 2 catches. We have to utilize him more in the passing game. We have to get him some carries off tackle and we can't run the ball on first down every freaking time. Before everyone jumps on the Donald Brown should start, remember Brown can't pass block. I've watched the games and T. Rich is a monster when those line backers blitz or he gives help to a tackle. Throw the guy the ball on a mismatch with a LB in the flat. Get him to the second level and he will hurt those little DB's, they won't want to tackle. Most importantly, if we need one yard for a 1st down put the guy in the game that we gave up a 1st round draft pick for and let him hammer away, don't run up the middle with the lightweight Brown. Just stupid!

He might not have shown much yet, but I believe that he's going to get better.

I've said it in a few threads, but it bears repeating. Trent has had a new offensive scheme every 7.5 games he's played. Such a talent needs adequate coaching. I believe that as the year progresses, the doubters will be forced to reckon with the truth, much the same way that the Donald Brown doubters are now having to stare at the reality of his production. 

I've said it in a few threads, but it bears repeating. Trent has had a new offensive scheme every 7.5 games he's played. Such a talent needs adequate coaching. I believe that as the year progresses, the doubters will be forced to reckon with the truth, much the same way that the Donald Brown doubters are now having to stare at the reality of his production. 

That's true. 

I did not watch him when he was with Cleveland, but I have watched him in every game with the colts so this is based on a few games.  HE SUCKS.  He honestly looks like he has lead weights strapped to his boots.  He is slow, has no burst speed and just doesn't seem to have IT.  I agree with a few people that said that RB's are not worth a 1st anymore.  With this day in age you can get one in the later rounds, ala Vick Ballard.  Now for those people saying he will come around or its the O-Line.  We had a worse O-line last year and Vic did alright and this year Bradshaw and Brown was/are doing good with the same O-line.  Now with the injury to Wayne we need to rely on our running game more so than ever.  So Richardson and Brown need to step up in a huge way now.  So Pep if your reading this use the stretch play like Manning/James perfected.  Use more screen passes and check downs PLEASE.

This guy is 22? He runs likes he's 32, looks slow to me, no wonder Cleveland jumped on a chance to get a number 1 draft choice at our expense! Looks like an ordinary back to me, both Ballard and Bradshaw are better than this guy!

overreaction much... Trent will prove a lot of you doubters wrong. The Browns will regret trading Richardson come November and going into the playoffs when the weather starts to get cold.