Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Freeman signing might cost some people their jobs.

ReMeDy

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000267764/article/josh-freeman-gamble-costs-freefalling-vikings-in-loss

Notable mentions in the link are the Vikings offense didn't score a single pt against the worst scoring defense in the NFL. He completed only 20-of-53 passes for 37.7%, the lowest mark for any quarterback throwing 40+ passes since Eli Manning in 2007.

When I heard Freeman was starting, I was surprised. He only joined the team 13 days ago and the game was being played away at the Giants on Monday night. What could possibly go wrong!? Now a bunch of what-if's will be raised if Cassel or Ponder could have won this game. I'd like to know:

a.) Who's idea was it to sign him.

b.) Who's idea was it to start him so soon?

c.) Are the Vikings trying to get the 1st round pick?

We will only truly know until one of those suits gets fired, and it only takes one of those suits to be honest about it.

The Vikings made some of the dumbest decisions ever...

Anyways, time to rebuild the whole team, they are years away from a competitive SB team.

They need to rebuild the whole o-line because that O-line was getting destroyed today.

Also they need a decent QB, Ponder or Freeman are not the answers.

They need some competitive cornerbacks too...because the ones they have are horrible.

They should trade Allen for a 2nd or 3rd round pick...it will help them.

Overall the Vikings need rebuilding on both sides of the ball, they should trade down next year and stock up for the 2015 draft.

I'm also confused why they had Freeman attempt 53 pass attempts. That's way too many throws, unless your Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. Adrian Peterson only had 13 rushing attempts. I could understand if the Vikings were down a huge deficit, but they were not. The game was close a majority of the game (score was 7-10 at the end of the 1st half).

They did nothing to help Freeman ease into the spotlight. It feels like the Vikings fed him to the wolves.

They dont need to redo things from scratch, All that would do is set them back more years, They have some good pieces. They need to let Freeman learn the playbook before they throw him out there and look at a QB in the draft for the future if Freeman dont work out

I'm also confused why they had Freeman attempt 53 pass attempts. That's way too many throws, unless your Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. Adrian Peterson only had 13 rushing attempts. I could understand if the Vikings were down a huge deficit, but they were not. The game was close a majority of the game (score was 7-10 at the end of the 1st half). Nothing the Vikings did made any sense.

Freeman isnt awful, but hes not a star calibur QB. He should be a game manager, especially with a guy like AP in the backfield.

I would guess that they were trying to take advantage of the Giants notoriously bad pass rush, but when your QB has only been there 13 days and barely has had time to learn the recievers' names, airing it out should be the last thing you do.

Unless you're Brett Favre. Then just throw in the general direction of someone in purple and learn their name afterwards.

The Vikings feel like the NFC version of the Oakland Raiders to me. A dismal franchise that just keeps tanking & is rarely a threat to any other squad. For such a tiny call sheet on offense, did Freeman try any runs at all? I must confess that I watched very little of this game. I did feel sorry for WR Greg Jennings though...To go from Rogers to this merry go round at QB is enough to make you drink or do anything to dull the pain of incessant humiliation. 

If Josh fails in Minnesota, his NFL career is over. How much lower can you go? Oakland?  

Guest TeamLoloJones

The Vikings feel like the NFC version of the Oakland Raiders to me. A dismal franchise that just keeps tanking & is rarely a threat to any other squad. For such a tiny call sheet on offense, did Freeman try any runs at all? I must confess that I watched very little of this game. I did feel sorry for WR Greg Jennings though...To go from Rogers to this merry go round at QB is enough to make you drink or do anything to dull the pain of incessant humiliation. 

If Josh fails in Minnesota, his NFL career is over. How much lower can you go? Oakland?  

Well the Vikes did make the postseason last year, and have made it a few times in the last few years. Raiders haven't done that in a decade.

How come the coach gets no blame at all?

They have Adrian Peterson and call 40-50 passing plays. Before they signed Freeman they did the same thing last week. Their only win came when they gave the ball to AP 20+ times. Coincidence? I don't think so.

This kid is not superman. Everyone knows that but they act like he's the worst thing ever. Put him on the field and ask him to throw it 45 times while you have the best RB in the league just sitting there getting barely any carries at all. What's up with that?

Have to totally disagree with you there old buddy. The Vikings tend to put up some amazing teams from time to time. Their 2009 squad was one of the best built teams I ever seen. The Raiders haven't done anything in over a decade, and before 2009, I'm pretty sure they regularly made the playoffs every other year.

Oakland has a franchise guy in Pryor now. Honestly Minny, TB, and Jacksonville are about as low as you can go on the QB totem pole, discounting teams with injuries at the position. Not even really sure about Tampa in that though, as Schiano is a basket case at head coach.

Freeman will never be a star, and that o line cant pass protect. Dropping back 60 times when yoube got Peterson in the backfield is just awful playcalling. The head coach or OC should be ashamed of that gameplan.

They dont need to redo things from scratch, All that would do is set them back more years, They have some good pieces. They need to let Freeman learn the playbook before they throw him out there and look at a QB in the draft for the future if Freeman dont work out

You could be right Gavin. 1 week is not enough time to learn a new system. I like Josh actually. He has talent, but HC Leslie Frazier doesn't have the luxury of growing pains right now either. He needs to win a few games & get off the hot "pink slip" seat first. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000267764/article/josh-freeman-gamble-costs-freefalling-vikings-in-loss

Notable mentions in the link are the Vikings offense didn't score a single pt against the worst scoring defense in the NFL. He completed only 20-of-53 passes for 37.7%, the lowest mark for any quarterback throwing 40+ passes since Eli Manning in 2007.

When I heard Freeman was starting, I was surprised. He only joined the team 13 days ago and the game was being played away at the Giants on Monday night. What could possibly go wrong!? Now a bunch of what-if's will be raised if Cassel or Ponder could have won this game. I'd like to know:

We will only truly know until one of those suits gets fired, and it only takes one of those suits to be honest about it.

Time to trade for Peterson!!!

Have to totally disagree with you there old buddy. The Vikings tend to put up some amazing teams from time to time. Their 2009 squad was one of the best built teams I ever seen. The Raiders haven't done anything in over a decade, and before 2009, I'm pretty sure they regularly made the playoffs every other year.

I will acknowledge that under QBs Fran Tarkenton, Daunte Culpepper, Warren Moon, & Brett Favre the Vikings had some measure of success Playoff wise Bogie, but they never ever scared me as a football team. I did respect the punishment Brett Favre took in the 2009 NFC Championship Game though & his will to keep fighting on. Brett's gunslinger mentality was eventually gonna cost him another SB. I did respect his toughness though.

I always had a soft spot of admiration & respect for Warren Moon who threw a beautiful ball with velocity & spin on it that always hit it's target. If Moon wasn't forced to play in the CFL so long, he probably would have won more than 1 ring. I will admit that. 

How come the coach gets no blame at all?

They have Adrian Peterson and call 40-50 passing plays. Before they signed Freeman they did the same thing last week. Their only win came when they gave the ball to AP 20+ times. Coincidence? I don't think so.

This kid is not superman. Everyone knows that but they act like he's the worst thing ever. Put him on the field and ask him to throw it 45 times while you have the best RB in the league just sitting there getting barely any carries at all. What's up with that?

It does make you wonder how you can have Ponder, Cassel, Webb, & Freeman on the roster & not win consistently with at least one of them doesn't it? Most teams only keep 2 QBs on their depth chart.

I just hope that Tampa Bay HC Schiano didn't mess up Freeman beyond recognition mentally. Sometimes, when QBs clock out psychologically, they never return to their promising potential days. It happens. I hope SkyBane is wrong, but he might onto something. A fragile psyche & a poor coaching game plan for your new QB could spell disaster if you don't shield Freeman with good playcalling 1st. 

Chris Carter thinks Freeman was forced on Leslie Frazier.  He also believe Freeman could possibly  also be a guy who looks much better in practice than the game.  So Frazier was probably told to start Freeman, and Freeman had looked just good enough in 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills for him to relent.  We'll see if CC is right down the road.

Freeman did miss some wide open receivers but he was set up to fail. How is he supposed to be successful when he can't go beyond his first read? The coaching staff abandoned the run way to early. His receivers gave up on trying to get open practically every time that he was forced from the pocket. Honestly it just looked like the Vikings wanted to lose. They need to rebuild in the worst way, but they are going to force AP to ride along with the train wreck. Very unfair to him

Peterson was stopped so much you would have thought traffic lights were on the field. Him being a non-factor definitely contributed to the loss. It's only one game so no verdict should be passed on Freeman yet though I don't know if I would have started him if I were Frazier.

I'll have to disagree with those that say Freeman isn't awful. IMO he's awful, terrible, horrible, whatever you want to say, but he's just flat out bad. He had 1 decent yr. that has proven to be a total fluke and people thought he was gonna turn into the next great young QB. Heard on the radio today he had 16 over throws last night. That has nothing to do with not knowing the playbook, that is just being terrible. He has the physical tools but not the work ethic or the brains to succeed as an NFL QB. 

I'll have to disagree with those that say Freeman isn't awful. IMO he's awful, terrible, horrible, whatever you want to say, but he's just flat out bad. He had 1 decent yr. that has proven to be a total fluke and people thought he was gonna turn into the next great young QB. Heard on the radio today he had 16 over throws last night. That has nothing to do with not knowing the playbook, that is just being terrible. He has the physical tools but not the work ethic or the brains to succeed as an NFL QB. 

Yup, I mentioned this when Sciano benched him. I said he be a journeyman QB the rest of his career.  Seems he's off to a good start at that.

they need to play the Jaguars , to bad u dont have a playoff game to determine order

He's been with teh team for 2 weeks.  Gotta cut the guy some slack.  It takes any other position player several weeks if not an entire year to get comfortable with a new team.  For QBs, its even harder.  Evaluations on the guy now will have a pretty wide margin of error.  And we could look back at his past 2 years with Schiano, but I'm not going to put ANY stock in the players output under that bozo.  Mid-next year if he's playing like he did Monday, then yeah, someone's in trouble.  Though I don't think anyone will get fired.  He was picked up out of FA, so they just cut him and lose next to nothing.

I don't understand why people hate this kid so much. The Vikings play calling is god awful. They are not even trying to run it. I know this is the National Passing League and the top QB's make it look easier, but seriously how do you expect to win it when you give up on the running game?

Their only win this season came when they gave the ball to Peterson 20+ times. I don't care who is the quarterback, they aren't going to win anything when they are averaging 45 passes a game and not running it whatsoever. It's down right sickening when you know they have the best RB in the league and won't even hand the ball off to him. Sure you can say what you want about being down 14+ points, but the reason they won 10 games last year was cause they ran the ball and didn't ask Ponder to throw, throw, throw, and throw.

Peterson was stopped so much you would have thought traffic lights were on the field. Him being a non-factor definitely contributed to the loss. It's only one game so no verdict should be passed on Freeman yet though I don't know if I would have started him if I were Frazier.

That's what happens when they stack the box. The giants weren't worried about freemen.

That's what happens when they stack the box. The giants weren't worried about freemen.

Yeah, true. It's pretty bad when it gets that way. But we're used to seeing A.D. have at least a little production, even with 8 defenders in front of him. The Giants must have really wanted that win.

He will get better than he was in his last game, but he will never become really good.  He might bust out one or maybe even two really good games a year, keeping people in his corner waiting for the big breakout... that never comes.  And if he is faking a concussion, as Rodney Harrison believes, then he really doesn't deserve a starting QB job.