Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lost/ I don't understand our defense

MFT5

To be honest I don't understand our defense ...

We clearly don't have the dominant force in the middle to only rush 4 and get pressure and our corners are left on an island to die.

As a coaching staff I don't see how Pagano and company can't see that when Davis, Toler, Butler and even Bethea are up in someone's face combined with extra pressure from extra blitzing backers isn't the formula for success on defense.

We struggled with Keenan Allen of all receivers ...

Go back and watch throughout every game when we're playing well against the pass what's the formula ??? Tight Press Man and 5+ Rushers.

Our corners have the ability but it's almost like the coaching staff is too scared to let the defense do its job.

Overall this is what angered me the entire game and seemingly will throughout the season.

I want you to have to deal with Davis and this athletic secondary ALL DAY and the coaching staff are letting teams off the hook. Look at Seattle, they know what they must do to compete on defense, rush the passer and force the action.

"Bring the Noise" as Sherman would say

But no, we're sitting back trying to figure out what's going on. Force the situation and make them deal with you.

I prefaced my season synopsis with a 2011 Jets comparison and while I feel I'm still accurate in my assessment, the defensive coaching staff however has left me withered in despair with its schemes and mentality.

Hoping for a better showing this Sunday

The SD game was a over all bad game by all parties so I'm excusing that game out my mind.

dropped balls

no pass rush

penalties on 3rd down

couldn't stop the rush

etc, etc

The defense this year in my opinion and especially the corners have played pretty well and Landry comes back for the Denver game should make them a better play as well. 

It will be a great test sunday night but they'll be up to the challenge for sure. Containing Manning and company will be frustrating at times but if the Colts defense can hold them to 24 point would be a great night.

Thus far we've been good on scoring defense.  The problem is that for 2 games in a row our defense has had trouble getting off the field.   We'd hold them to a field goal but that was only after they used up 8 minutes of game time slowly driving the field.  

Yep. The SD game was painful to watch at times cause the time just kept dwindling away and you knew we wouldn't have that many possessions. 

Even though the Chargers were able to move the ball drive after drive, they were only able to score 1 td and a total of 19 points. Yards aside, that is pretty impressive of the Colts defense imo. They kept everything in front of them and never really let the Wr's get any explosive plays aside from the busted coverage on the Allen td. The worst part of the defense was not stopping the Run and on 3rd down. Hopefully everything gets corrected by sunday because I think right now (I haven't checked) the Broncos are the best team at getting 3rd down conversions in the NFL, if not it's going to be an ugly game. With all that being said, I think the Colts win Sunday 34-30.

Even though the Chargers were able to move the ball drive after drive, they were only able to score 1 td and a total of 19 points. Yards aside, that is pretty impressive of the Colts defense imo. They kept everything in front of them and never really let the Wr's get any explosive plays aside from the busted coverage on the Allen td. The worst part of the defense was not stopping the Run and on 3rd down. Hopefully everything gets corrected by sunday because I think right now (I haven't checked) the Broncos are the best team at getting 3rd down conversions in the NFL, if not it's going to be an ugly game. With all that being said, I think the Colts win Sunday 34-30.

If you thought anything the defense put on film Monday night was acceptable then I don't know what to tell you.

That was as horrendous a defensive display I've seen in some time.

We were reduced to a clawless kitten, undressed left in the rain with no means of adoption

We played a lot of games with one deep safety since we were concerned with mobile QBs.  Trying to stop their run game and almost dare them to throw.

I guess the coaches feared Rivers more as a passer than they did the Chargers run game.  So Rivers simply went to the line and changed to the run play if it looked like we were in a pass D.  It worked and they shredded us with the run.  Which opened up their pass game even more.

I discount the injury excuse.  They had as many or more players out than us.  Obviously we don't disguise our D as well as they did.

And, like others have said, our O didn't help with those short drives.  Drops and a bad D scheme do not make a winning combination.

Yep. The SD game was painful to watch at times cause the time just kept dwindling away and you knew we wouldn't have that many possessions. 

I wasn't able to watch the game but I got the same impression of the Seahawks game except maybe towards the end where the defense made some plays to preserve the win for the us.  

The difference I think being that in the Seahawks game the offense was able to sustain some drives and not go 3 and out so many times.

That didn't happen against the Chargers.

This is why the whole scoring defense statistic doesn't really tell the whole story.  

We honestly might have been better off giving up a couple of TD's if on other drives we where able to force some punts and not have the defense out there for 8 to 10 minutes of game time.

I can't stand our defense right now because we don't force the issue. This coming from a fan of football who just wants to see a good product on the field.

You saw the chargers who flung the ball around for weeks with no running game to think of watch some film, go in the lab and achieve the perfect balance on offense and physical defense the Colts have been talking about for MONTHS.

That is why that loss hurt me as a Colts fan

It was awful this past Sunday, no doubt about it.  But we have played a bunch of good teams, and while I'm not excusing anythign we did, the bottom line is, we only gave up 19 points.  I don't care how many yards we give up, 19 points is good enough that we should have won, regardless of how sloppy it was.  But offense was getting quick 3 and outs because of dropped passes and stupid penalties.  Defense would extend drives because of penalties.  By the end of the game, you could jsut see that we were just GASSED.  I mean look at the TOP 21:29 for the Colts and...38:31 for the Chargers...no defense could survive a whole game and still play at their top level when they are out on the field for 2/3 of the game.  Not even the Seahawks.

These are excuses, of course, but it cna still explain how pitiful we did come 2nd half.  Offense has to be better this week to give our D a break. 

It was awful this past Sunday, no doubt about it. But we have played a bunch of good teams, and while I'm not excusing anythign we did, the bottom line is, we only gave up 19 points. I don't care how many yards we give up, 19 points is good enough that we should have won, regardless of how sloppy it was. But offense was getting quick 3 and outs because of dropped passes and stupid penalties. Defense would extend drives because of penalties. By the end of the game, you could jsut see that we were just GASSED. I mean look at the TOP 21:29 for the Colts and...38:31 for the Chargers...no defense could survive a whole game and still play at their top level when they are out on the field for 2/3 of the game. Not even the Seahawks.

These are excuses, of course, but it cna still explain how pitiful we did come 2nd half. Offense has to be better this week to give our D a break.

The defense played the biggest part in the TOP

- Numerous 3rd down conversions

- Getting BLOWN off the LOS

- Allowing nobody receivers to dominate

- We SUCKED on D (Double Entendre)

It doesn't matter who had the biggest role in the TOP battle was.  We win as a team and we lose as a team.  Defense couldn't get off the field and Offense couldn't keep them off the field.  End result, defense played even worse at the end of the game.

It doesn't matter who had the biggest role in the TOP battle was. We win as a team and we lose as a team. Defense couldn't get off the field and Offense couldn't keep them off the field. End result, defense played even worse at the end of the game.

You're defending the defense deaming the performance acceptable and it wasn't yes the offense only had 9 point but that's a direct reflection of drops on 3rd down and inconsistent OLine play we knew we had coming into the season

Defensively we were undressed on the field while ironically the forever underachieving Chargers took what we thought was our "Identity" and had their way with us

Yeah they only had 19 points and that's a testament/reflection as to how opposing game plans unfold before us

We were dominated

You're defending the defense deaming the performance acceptable and it wasn't yes the offense only had 9 point but that's a direct reflection of drops on 3rd down and inconsistent OLine play we knew we had coming into the season

Defensively we were undressed on the field while ironically the forever underachieving Chargers took what we thought was our "Identity" and had their way with us

Yeah they only had 19 points and that's a testament/reflection as to how opposing game plans unfold before us

We were dominated

It was awful this past Sunday, no doubt about it.  But we have played a bunch of good teams, and while I'm not excusing anythign we did, the bottom line is, we only gave up 19 points.  I don't care how many yards we give up, 19 points is good enough that we should have won, regardless of how sloppy it was.  But offense was getting quick 3 and outs because of dropped passes and stupid penalties.  Defense would extend drives because of penalties.  By the end of the game, you could jsut see that we were just GASSED.  I mean look at the TOP 21:29 for the Colts and...38:31 for the Chargers...no defense could survive a whole game and still play at their top level when they are out on the field for 2/3 of the game.  Not even the Seahawks.

These are excuses, of course, but it cna still explain how pitiful we did come 2nd half.  Offense has to be better this week to give our D a break. 

I never said it was acceptable and I thought I made that pretty clear.  I'm simply bringing in the offense as part of the blame.  If you want to assign percentages of blame, fine.  I don't care to get into that.  Defense was to blame and so was the offense.  Period.  Like I said before, defense couldn't get themselves off the field and the offense couldn't keep the defense off the field.  Given that the defense was on the field for 2/3 of the game regardless of who's fault it was, they were getting gassed and defenses who are gassed don't make plays, and defenses that don't make plays give up a lot of yards.  It's really that simple.  I'm amazed we didn't give up more points, and realizing that, you have to give at least some credit that they only gave up 19 points all game long.  Should have been 29 or more.

Only Keenan Allen had a big game. Yes he is a rookie but he is a pretty talented one. Other than him no other received really had a big game.

If you thought anything the defense put on film Monday night was acceptable then I don't know what to tell you.

That was as horrendous a defensive display I've seen in some time.

We were reduced to a clawless kitten, undressed left in the rain with no means of adoption

lol, this guy