Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coby Fleener

The Colts Walker

I want to know how his post is not true?  He has recorded a drop in every game this year and games last year.  Clark had that problem too, but Clark could actually make a play.

Look I hate to bash on Fleener, he is a colt but good lord he is horrid.  He doesn't play to his size, he gets no separation, when he does get separation he drops it, he has no field awareness, he is a very below average blocker (sad thing is he has improved in this area) and look just downright scared or lost when he is on the field.  

His flash's of brilliance are the rare times he does utilize his tools and/or Luck making a play giving him a well thrown ball.  In the SEA game he had about 4 plays where he literally did nothing...  he stayed in to block, didn't block anyone, and then ontop of that never turned around for a pass from Luck...

LOL  that's not even remotely true.  Here's one site that credits fleener with 0 (say again, ZERO) drops for the 2013 season prior to the monday night game, which does not surprise me at all. http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

I knew he had no drops in the Mia, SF, Jax and Sea games but couldn't remember if he had one in the Oak game but apparently not.  So, um, the drop against the Chargers was his first drop this year.  Yes, he had a disappointing preseason but since the regular season started, he's done what he's been asked to do and made plays when his number was called.

Oh by the way, Fleener was credited with 3 (three) drops in 2012.  As I've said numerous times already, his drops have been blown WAY out of proportion.

for a little more perspective, here are just a few guys who had a higher drop rate than Fleener did in 2012:

Santana Moss

Dez Bryant

Vernon Davis

Eric Decker

TY Hilton

Rob Gronkowski

Victor Cruz

Kenny Britt

Jermichael Finley

Jordy Nelson

Lavon Brazill

Jimmy Graham

Aaron Hernandez

Fleener may not have a high drop rate, but when he does catch the ball he is usually stopped dead in his tracks.  If you watch him closely, he has to concentrate so hard on catching the ball that when he does catch it the defender is right there ready to tackle him.  It's like it takes him a half a second longer to catch the ball than other receivers.  He doesn't snatch the ball out of the air like Gonzalez or Graham.  He has to look the ball all the way into his arms and cradle the ball before making a move.  I watched some of his college games and I just don't remember him doing that.  He is so big he should be dominating and running over smaller DBs, but he doesn't. 

Fleener may not have a high drop rate, but when he does catch the ball he is usually stopped dead in his tracks.  If you watch him closely, he has to concentrate so * catching the ball that when he does catch it the defender is right there ready to tackle him.  It's like it takes him a half a second longer to catch the ball than other receivers.  He doesn't snatch the ball out of the air like Gonzalez or Graham.  He has to look the ball all the way into his arms and cradle the ball before making a move.  I watched some of his college games and I just don't remember him doing that.  He is so big he should be dominating and running over smaller DBs, but he doesn't. 

It's up to Luck to make an accurate enough throw to be able to hit Fleener in stride, and it's up to the protection to hold up long enough for Fleener to get out on a route and allow Luck to be able to make an accurate throw to be able to hit Fleener in stride.  I think that, so far, Fleener's catches have either been as an outlet receiver, or he's looking for a hole in the zone, and these tend to be catches where he has to stop, turn and catch the ball.  they just haven't had the opportunities yet to get him in man coverage down the field with the pass protection holding up long enough for Luck to make an accurate throw to hit fleener in stride.

It's up to Luck to make an accurate enough throw to be able to hit Fleener in stride, and it's up to the protection to hold up long enough for Fleener to get out on a route and allow Luck to be able to make an accurate throw to be able to hit Fleener in stride.  I think that, so far, Fleener's catches have either been as an outlet receiver, or he's looking for a hole in the zone, and these tend to be catches where he has to stop, turn and catch the ball.  they just haven't had the opportunities yet to get him in man coverage down the field with the pass protection holding up long enough for Luck to make an accurate throw to hit fleener in stride.

While I jumped off the Coby Fleener hate train sometime ago it dont take a scientist to figure out he has had serious multiple lapses in concentration since coming into the NFL, I dont think it has anything to do with his hands but his concentration and approach.....as for his catches where he has to stop, turn and catch in zone coverage....Those should be the easy ones really cause thats when the defender it waiting for the catch to come up and make the tackle

There was no one around when he dropped the pass against San Diego. It was in stride in his hands and he just didn't catch the ball..It went though his hands and hit his chest..

See picture in the article link here..(I still cannot post pictures for some reason) and the video starting at 1:10...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/novak-kicks-chargers-win-colts-article-1.1485795

That was all on Fleener on this one..

he played reasonable well in regular season until chargers came with the 2 drops. you got to remember most te and wr dont reach their ceiling untill their 3rd to 5 year. look at guys like reggie ,dallas clark who wasn,t dallas clark till 08,who was drafted in 2003 ..he on track to have better number than dwyane had last year. everyone got carried away because his similarties to gronk lot of pressure on the kid ,and the fact had   allen had played 16 games and had a better year than fleener. they most likely would have similar numbers. his critics fail to realise that a guy who had a higher drop rate,Ty hilton in what fleener was heavily criticised for Ty hilton got a way larger leach  because most people where like who was this guy , was he a punter returner , very minimal expections , the 800 yard 8td were considered gold, fleener expectations were out of control gronkoswi type production 800-1100 yard 10-12 tds ff the bat  ,in a system of arians that suited the more traditional te of allen then altheic tight of fleener capabilty ,he has shown visible improvement in his blocking at catching the football . good example of good blocking was on final drive , where he made several key chains block to help luck and move the chains

There was no one around when he dropped the pass against San Diego. It was in stride in his hands and he just didn't catch the ball..It went though his hands and hit his chest..

See picture in the article link here..(I still cannot post pictures for some reason) and the video starting at 1:10...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/novak-kicks-chargers-win-colts-article-1.1485795

That was all on Fleener on this one..

I never said that one wasn't all on fleener.  the drop on the 25 yard line was absolutely all on fleener.  He tried to turn to run with the ball before securing it.  I wouldn't say it was in stride though.

While I jumped off the Coby Fleener hate train sometime ago it dont take a scientist to figure out he has had serious multiple lapses in concentration since coming into the NFL, I dont think it has anything to do with his hands but his concentration and approach.....as for his catches where he has to stop, turn and catch in zone coverage....Those should be the easy ones really cause thats when the defender it waiting for the catch to come up and make the tackle

Yes he has.  I have never said otherwise.  I'm not sure I get the point of your comment about the catches in a zone either.  I only mentioned those to point out that he is often times at a dead stop when he catches the ball as opposed to catching a ball in full stride on a seam route which is why he hasn't had many big plays so far in his young career.  

Only need to look at one thing --- the Colts are sooooo much better with Duane Allen in the mix, it's not even close. It's the equivalent of the Patriots losing Gronk.  See, I did that without even mentioning the topic player.

Too much good sound logic in this short and to the point post :-) despite the name spelling lol

Unfortunately, Fleener has been disappointing. I have always defended him, thinking that he was going through typical rookie growing pains. We heard about how he was dominating at camp and that he would have a "break-out" season. It hasn't happened yet.

Meanwhile, rookies like Julius Thomas with the Broncos, Joseph Fauria of the Lions, and Jordan Cameron of the Browns are all doing much better. That's right....rookies are doing better than Fleener.

Cameron and Thomas aren't rookies and fauria had one good game. Give him time. How much idk

They need to play Dominique Jones, add him to the passing game as well. The kid can play. He plays both full back and tight end while doing a great job. One thing he is not is scared. Every time he is in the fold colts do well. San Fran game out standing that's the best we have looked all year. Put him in the mix and it works. With out a question he is better than Fleenor if you disagree you are looking in rose colored glasses. I understand Fleenor is a draft pick and we have to justify that but really Jones needs to be in mix.

Play Jones it's that simple involve him in the passing game. When he plays and involved Colts look good ie... San Francisco I know Fleenor is a drafty but the proof is in the pudding or we are going to wait until it's too late and keep riding on Fleenor potential and we will kick ourselves in the butt. Play Jones it's that simple

Going on this post, I don't think your issue is with Fleener, it's with Pep or Luck. Fleener doesn't have much say how often it's a pass play or how often he's targeted when in a pass play.

In general, when Fleener is targeted, he's helped our Colts win games this year

Great point, Fleener is not even half way thru his second season.  He was big against the Broncos and with Wayne out I suspect we will see him even more.  Dallas Clark and others all had to work their way into the league.  Fleener will be fine, he needs time and experience.

Play Jones it's that simple involve him in the passing game. When he plays and involved Colts look good ie... San Francisco I know Fleenor is a drafty but the proof is in the pudding or we are going to wait until it's too late and keep riding on Fleenor potential and we will kick ourselves in the butt. Play Jones it's that simple

Well, it's far less simple now that Jones has been cut.  And Fleener is going on more than just potential.  He's been producing so far this year and has only had 1 drop so far.

I am not a fan of Fleener. Maybe he was good in college, but not in the pros. In the San Diego game, I believe his drop, when he was wide open, changed the fighting attitude of the Colts. I'll glad when Allen is back

Coby's drop changed the fighting attitude of the Colts? What the he'll does that even mean?

Geez if you are going to condemn Coby for the SD game, guess you should condemn the whole receiving corps.

They had 5-6 drops in that game alone, we got our butts kicked all around. Plenty of blame to pass around.

It was one loss, move on, there were many that contributed to Sundays victory, including many of the whipping boys on this forum.

Team victories, team losses, they are all part of the team.

Some peoples kids!  Sheesh!