Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Chargers Simply Outplayed the Colts (and look at the Bright Side)

Andy

I'm not going to go into a full schpiel about the game, but here are couple of big points that I thought the Chargers beat the Colts at:

- Time of possesion was a huge reason why they won. They dominated us in that regard. They did what the Colts did to the 49ers. They kept them off the field using their rushing attack and getting key first downs. They kept Luck and that's why they couldn't score.

- The pressure was there most of the night. They blitzed a lot and it got to Luck. He was able to get the ball off but it wasn't perfect. They outplayed the Colts' O-line.

- Their running game handily beat us with Matthews really leading the way in that regard. Their interior O-line, especially Nick Hardwick, really lead the way their, and I'd go as far as saying they dominated our D-line.

- They showed up at key times.

But let's look at the bright side. The Colts are still 4-2, and have a nice grasp on their division. Through 6 weeks last year, they were 2-3 and 3-3 through 6 games. This is a much better team and it had an off night tonight as the coaches got outplayed, it was on the road and their wasn't any spark to this offense.

I, for one am not too dissatisfied. The Colts weren't going to win every game, and this was a classic trap game. Don't expect to Colts to beat all the opponents that they're "better" than, and vice versa. 

KEEP YOUR HEADS UP!

I'm not going to go into a full schpiel about the game, but here are couple of big points that I thought the Chargers beat the Colts at:

- Time of possesion was a huge reason why they won. They dominated us in that regard. They did what the Colts did to the 49ers. They kept them off the field using their rushing attack and getting key first downs. They kept Luck and that's why they couldn't score.

- The pressure was there most of the night. They blitzed a lot and it got to Luck. He was able to get the ball off but it wasn't perfect. They outplayed the Colts' O-line.

- Their running game handily beat us with Matthews really leading the way in that regard. Their interior O-line, especially Nick Hardwick, really lead the way their, and I'd go as far as saying they dominated our D-line.

But let's look at the bright side. The Colts are still 4-2, and have a nice grasp on their division. Through 6 weeks last year, they were 2-3 and 3-3 through 6 games. This is a much better team and it had an off night tonight as the coaches got outplayed, it was on the road and their wasn't any spark to this offense.

I, for one am not too disastified. The Colts weren't going to win every game, and this was a classic trap game. Don't expect to Colts to beat all the opponents that they're "better" than, and vice versa.

KEEP YOUR HEADS UP!

Awesome post :-)

I will say this, the spark was there for the offense multiple times they just didnt execute.

And also Fleener constantly dissapoints in both pass catching, blocking and just flat out playing to his size. He plays like he is TY's size @ TE...

offense suck not hard too see ,  defense had us in the game tell 3.30 in the 4th period offense suck not hard too see ,  defense had us in the game tell 3.30 in the 4th period , way they played on offense only one could beat them tonight.  free win the chargers.

It wasn't the play calling. If they execute, no one would complain about the play calling. Too many drops. Colts v Ravens in the playoffs, same thing. Way too many drops. I think pep is doing an excellent job. Fans are so fickle here. Complain about Arians being too aggressive and pep being too conservative. Lol

I, for one am not too dissatisfied. The Colts weren't going to win every game, and this was a classic trap game. Don't expect to Colts to beat all the opponents that they're "better" than, and vice versa. 

KEEP YOUR HEADS UP!

This is the kind of game I expected when Caldwell use to coach us

offense suck not hard too see , defense had us in the game tell 3.30 in the 4th period offense suck not hard too see , defense had us in the game tell 3.30 in the 4th period , way they played on offense only one could beat them tonight. free win the chargers.

Hmmmm?????????

offense suck not hard too see ,  defense had us in the game tell 3.30 in the 4th period offense suck not hard too see ,  defense had us in the game tell 3.30 in the 4th period , way they played on offense only one could beat them tonight.  free win the chargers.

drinking during game was someone tonight go down chargers field.

Yep, we looked like deer in the headlights for most of the night. Too many penalties and mistakes that we aren't used to seeing with this team; not to mention dropped balls from those who are usually sure handed. I think the Seattle game took it out of us! It's all good though. Let's regroup this week and show up on Sunday night!

the colts offense gave easy win way , defence too many penalty,s this easy win offence mostly gave it too the chargers.

offense play worst game of the season. in the game tell last 3 mins.

lol Don't take this the wrong way, but were you still drunk and/or high when you wrote this?

Play calling was fine.  Play execution was terrible.  The Colts were flat and the Chargers were almost perfect.  It's amazing the score was as close as it was.  If the receivers had made some of those catches, if Luck had been more accurate...  etc.  etc. etc.

And this defense really needs a healthy Jerrell Freeman.  

Play calling was fine.  Play execution was terrible.  The Colts were flat and the Chargers were almost perfect.  It's amazing the score was as close as it was.  If the receivers had made some of those catches, if Luck had been more accurate...  etc.  etc. etc.

And this defense really needs a healthy Jerrell Freeman.  

I actually thought Luck was fine.  In my opinion, he was the only bright spot in this game.  We had 6 drops.  SIX!!!  2 of them potential TDs (DHB's I think would have gone the distance, he only had 1 guy to beat that I could tell from the replay), Fleeners may not have gone for a TD, but it would have put us in or near the redzone.  Two more were on crucial 3rd downs.  Reggie's was a for sure 1st, Hilton, maybe if he made a good play after the catch.  Richardson's was another crucial one, he had a TON of green in front of him.  I believe Fleener had the other drop.  Had even 4 of those been caught, he would have been throwing 66% which is great.  The only INT came in desperation, bad throw or not, it was time to force throws.  So yeah, it goes on his stat line, but I wouldn't consider it a breakdown by him so much as the gamble was necessary and it didn't work out - kinda like a hail mary in the closing seconds of the game that gets picked off. 

Here's what I saw: 

Satele needs to go bye bye. Yesterday. Quit pointing to people you have no idea how to block!

With constant blitzing, why were we not throwing quick slants, and screens??? Seriously. 

Fleener is scared to get hit in the middle of the field....still. It's difficult to watch and it's unbelievable that's an issue. That dropped pass to him WIDE open was inexcusable. Also, his run blocking is ridiculous. We were putting in Doyle(?) every time we wanted to run. 

Mathis was erased from the game. Some (maybe most) he took himself out of the game by just rushing Crybaby Rivers. Left huge running/passing lanes. The edge was never set the entire game. 

I can't believe all the drops by our receivers. That one that was laid almost perfectly to DHB was insane. He still has brick hands. Wayne dropped a few. Hilton. 

I hope Freeman is ok.... he did miss a few tackles as well. 

That Rivers TD pass was all on Howell. I don't understand why he even broke to the outside. 

If we play like this when the Broncos come to town, OUCH. 

The only real positives were Richardson looked decent running (not the drop), and Luck threw as good as anyone could while under pressure the entire night. Oh, and Brown looked decent as well. I think he was under utilized. 

I actually thought Luck was fine.  In my opinion, he was the only bright spot in this game.  We had 6 drops.  SIX!!!  2 of them potential TDs (DHB's I think would have gone the distance, he only had 1 guy to beat that I could tell from the replay), Fleeners may not have gone for a TD, but it would have put us in or near the redzone.  Two more were on crucial 3rd downs.  Reggie's was a for sure 1st, Hilton, maybe if he made a good play after the catch.  Richardson's was another crucial one, he had a TON of green in front of him.  I believe Fleener had the other drop.  Had even 4 of those been caught, he would have been throwing 66% which is great.  The only INT came in desperation, bad throw or not, it was time to force throws.  So yeah, it goes on his stat line, but I wouldn't consider it a breakdown by him so much as the gamble was necessary and it didn't work out - kinda like a hail mary in the closing seconds of the game that gets picked off. 

Not so much blaming Luck as noting that if it wasn't one player failing (Wayne dropping a key first down) it was another.  DHB definitely should have caught that pass, but Luck overthrew it a little.  Defense gets a stop on third down but somebody takes a penalty.  All the examples you gave, I think I agree with you.  Even the punt near the end of the game by Mcafee was a huge letdown.

It was a total team loss, with everybody contributing a little bit of poor play here and there.

I hate saying when he was basically the only guy getting himself open, and I've always given him a pass on it, but I really wish Wayne hadn't tried to go fetal on his 1,000th catch.  The Chargers were nowhere near him and that might've been a much bigger play when we really needed it.

C'est la vie.

Not so much blaming Luck as noting that if it wasn't one player failing (Wayne dropping a key first down) it was another.  DHB definitely should have caught that pass, but Luck overthrew it a little.  Defense gets a stop on third down but somebody takes a penalty.  All the examples you gave, I think I agree with you.  Even the punt near the end of the game by Mcafee was a huge letdown.

It was a total team loss, with everybody contributing a little bit of poor play here and there.

I hate saying when he was basically the only guy getting himself open, and I've always given him a pass on it, but I really wish Wayne hadn't tried to go fetal on his 1,000th catch.  The Chargers were nowhere near him and that might've been a much bigger play when we really needed it.

C'est la vie.

C'est la vie, indeed.  There's plenty of blame to go around.  I just hope that we correct the mistakes and that it motivates us to play out of our minds next week.  All is forgiven with a win against Denver.  Of course, if we did, we'd be known as the giant slayer who couldn't get past the pawns.  And you know that would be picked up on by the media and ran with. 

C'est la vie, indeed.  There's plenty of blame to go around.  I just hope that we correct the mistakes and that it motivates us to play out of our minds next week.  All is forgiven with a win against Denver.  Of course, if we did, we'd be known as the giant slayer who couldn't get past the pawns.  And you know that would be picked up on by the media and ran with. 

Otherwise known as the Chargers.  :D

KEEP YOUR HEADS UP!

A nice grasp on the divison? It is a 1 game lead with Peyton coming to town..... Time for the Colts to wake up and get going i all phases.

Yep, we looked like deer in the headlights for most of the night. Too many penalties and mistakes that we aren't used to seeing with this team; not to mention dropped balls from those who are usually sure handed. I think the Seattle game took it out of us! It's all good though. Let's regroup this week and show up on Sunday night!

Out of likes

Not so much blaming Luck as noting that if it wasn't one player failing (Wayne dropping a key first down) it was another. DHB definitely should have caught that pass, but Luck overthrew it a little. Defense gets a stop on third down but somebody takes a penalty. All the examples you gave, I think I agree with you. Even the punt near the end of the game by Mcafee was a huge letdown.

I hate saying when he was basically the only guy getting himself open, and I've always given him a pass on it, but I really wish Wayne hadn't tried to go fetal on his 1,000th catch. The Chargers were nowhere near him and that might've been a much bigger play when we really needed it.

C'est la vie.

Out of likes

A nice grasp on the divison? It is a 1 game lead with Peyton coming to town..... Time for the Colts to wake up and get going i all phases.

the titans play san fran and the texans play the chefs. So we are ok even with a loss to denver. As bad as we were last night, i still think the broncos can be had. Can't drop the passes and have dumb penalties on defense.

Guest Jeremiah

KEEP YOUR HEADS UP!

In my opinion, colts fans were aggravated, frustrated, and bored from last nights game and that's why everyone is up in arms today. It was more than a loss, it wasn't even entertaining.