Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning is a MONSTER

danlhart87

Denver D plays read option and mobile QBs better than the pocket passers that dissect Ds. Period.

In the 5 games so far, I can emphatically say that. RG3 is going to be killed by the Denver D. However, Brady, Luck and Alex Smith will actually do well against this D.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking about Denver's defense. Put them up against an actual good quarterback like Romo and you see just how average they truly are. I have never considered Flacco a good QB.

Denver cover DBs  peoplec arent great Vs good passer  

Heck with the coverage, they just need some semblance of a pass rush. There was figuratively none all night long. Not until the second to last Broncos defensive play where they sacked Romo by bringing the house, then he threw a pick right after.

All good QB's will make the throws if you give them all. day. long. for their receivers to bust open. Romo had over eight seconds on several plays. That's absurd. The DB's can't be expected to hang with guys for 5, 6, 7, 8+ seconds on nearly every play.

How to beat a good QB = PASS RUSH FIRST. If that means you have to bring the house on nearly every play then DO it. Throw the QB's timing off. Rattle them. Pressure them. Whatever you want to call it. Don't rush 3 or 4, let the QB run around all night, and keep burning you for TD's. The fact that it took 58 minutes for Del Rio to try something different really grinds at me. How many points to you need to give up before you try something else?

I'm talking about Denver's defense. Put them up against an actual good quarterback like Romo and you see just how average they truly are. I have never considered Flacco a good QB.

No one ever said they were great. Missing three starters on defense (including their two best) was OK against the teams without a hot QB, thus the blowouts. Some vulnerabilities were certainly expected in this game, but give them credit for not getting lit up by Flacco or Eli. The Cowboys certainly have more weapons though, and Romo played fantastic despite the one error.

Early this game they lost their third best defender (and defensive captain/signal caller) Woodyard - who was playing out of position to begin with. Without him they are simply a different team. Plus LB Trevathan was banged up all week - I'm pretty sure that they pulled him early because he couldn't run well enough to cover as normal, but he came back in because of Woodyard.  Later they lost Chris Harris - vital to covering slot receivers. Bottom line, they had nobody left who could match up in the middle of the field. Lost DE Ayers (and others) for awhile as well. Insufficient pass rush, and no longer able to cover a TE is not a good recipe for success.

Yet they got a big sack, and then Trevathan stepped up for a terrific interception just when it appeared that the Cowboys would cruise down the field for a winning score.

Bottom line - not enough depth at :LB to begin with, and they are now missing three (actually four I think if you count Lennon) plus a fifth is banged up. Thank goodness next week they could win without dressing ANY LBs. 

Denver D plays read option and mobile QBs better than the pocket passers that dissect Ds. Period.

In the 5 games so far, I can emphatically say that. RG3 is going to be killed by the Denver D. However, Brady, Luck and Alex Smith will actually do well against this D.

Not so concerned with Smith. Rivers however would have a field day

Peyton is Peyton. But there is no way Denver wins the Super Bowl this year with that swiss cheese defense. Miller will not solve all the issues they have stopping anything. Right now the top two teams in the AFC are the Chiefs and Colts.

I agree. They'll have to do something about the Defense. The game tonight looked like the old days here when Peyton had to carry the team.

I think Denver kills Alex Smith...he doesn't throw the ball down the field

...but Brady and Luck will like what they saw in the Denver-Dallas game tape

you people are assuming they dont change what they are doing and dont improve. you will not see that defense play like that again.

hey AM.. how bout those Pats today, huh..

BC....

...I hope they improve but Champ Bailey has been game-to-game for 5 games....he may not be back till November

..and Von Miller is one puff away from a year long suspension...

.....Without them...that's a very young defense....They badly need to find a way to rush the passer

Nice to see the Broncos show vulnerability with that defense unit.  They're blowing the doors off of teams right now, but as the weather starts to get bad, Manning's numbers will go down and that defense will be relied upon to make plays.  Right now Denver's D is incredibly suspect, so that is a chink in their armor right now for sure.  

The one positive thing I pulled from the Pats game is that the defense is still playing amazing football and coming up with key stops and turnovers.  Its only a matter of time before the offense starts clicking, and with the return of Gronk they should be a pretty well balanced team.  Saints are going to be real tough next week, but at least its at home.  If they can come out of the first 6 games of the year with all their injuries and problems with a 5-1 record, ill be pretty pumped.

BC....

...I hope they improve but Champ Bailey has been game-to-game for 5 games....he may not be back till November

..and Von Miller is one puff away from a year long suspension...

.....Without them...that's a very young defense....They badly need to find a way to rush the passer

Miller will start Vs Colts and be rusty

wrote this elsewhere  around 10:40 AM today

was part of going off topic after my initiai response ,  comment 67 in POST - Dallas D sick of hearing about Peyton

========================================

great  Bronco win but Costly yesterday, am just waking up myself, dont ask , had to watch game on DVR late

ayers in sling post game, Wesly woodward unknown injury, & real good corner in harris esp in slot concussion

have feeling bailey will be in Vs Jaxsonvile to test him, Denver said could played but didnt want him to play on turf as thats how got hurt , Indy is turf too , right, though may be of different typpe , i have no idea when comes to this

sorry if rest off topic

Dont want to make excuses but Our Colts have great chance to win in Indy , esp if these players dont return , but even  if they all come back  

Colts are balanced ball control and can if want spread out and throw like Romo did and Colts better D to me & much better DB's

Luck can exploit the middle or throw deep

you people are assuming they dont change what they are doing and dont improve. you will not see that defense play like that again.

hey AM.. how bout those Pats today, huh..

whoa hold on there little buddy :wave:  . . . I know you and AM may not be on each others holiday card list . . . but it might be a little too early in season to start chirping . . . the pats looked terrible . . . only time will tell if this might be a trend or not . . . we'll have to wait and see . . . I still feel confident with the pats offense, but time will tell to see how they develop during the season . . .

whoa hold on there little buddy :wave: . . . I know you and AM may not be on each others holiday card list . . . but it might be a little too early in season to start chirping . . . the pats looked terrible . . . only time will tell if this might be a trend or not . . . we'll have to wait and see . . . I still feel confident with the pats offense, but time will tell to see how they develop during the season . . .

Im not chirping. what gave u that idea. Im simply stating while AM continually degrades Manning and praises Brady.. perhaps a reality check was in order.

Im not chirping. what gave u that idea. Im simply stating while AM continually degrades Manning and praises Brady.. perhaps a reality check was in order.

yes I know . . . I know what you were doing, but just saying it might be better to wait to Jan/Feb after/if Peyton has a 5th MVP and a second ring and/or Brady is one and done in the playoffs . . . one game against a good D does not make for a season or career . . . perhaps wait for a more influential game then left fly a comment . . . a game in early October is not as important as ones later . . . its kind of like a DB going all crazy over a routine tackle, wait for a big tackle or stop on a key point then chime in . . .

We are generally a bad to average regular season road team. Like the Buffalo loss this year, in 2011 we had a horrible loss at Jacksonville. You can usually count on the Ravens going 6-2 or better at home in the regular season. For some reason, they play better on the road in the playoffs . This Ravens team still has a lot of question marks, so it's hard to say where they will finish. It is a hard team to predict , as they lost 4 of their last 5 regular season games, then beat Luck, Manning, Brady, and Kaepernick. With all the new players this year, it's hard to say right now how this team will jell. They don't have time to relax, as Rodgers and the Packers are coming to town.

With Flacco as the QB the Ravens can never be relaxed. You bring up the Colts are too up and down but not close to what the Ravens are right now. When Flacco has good days he can be very good but it seems when he is off it turns really bad fast. He no longer has a defense that scores and forces turnovers like in the past. It also appears the Ravens special teams play is not up to what they are used to having. I think the Ravens need a good draft to get back to where they were. Flacco's rather large contract kind of straps bringing in any free agents that will be considered impact. Good or bad any team that plays the Ravens will have to bring their lunch pail. 

One of the commentators on, I think it was, NFL network said Peyton Manning ran it to kill some clock.  :D  Nobody on the panel could keep it together.

That was the slowest quarterback TD run I've ever seen.

a series of tweets on the run where i got that video from

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/10/6/4810034/peyton-manning-rushing-touchdown-cowboys

in his interview he said no one knew in order to sell it and Moreno thought there was a bad exchange

I'm pretty comfortable with Joe. I know he has some up and down games , especially in regular season road games, but the fact of the matter is Joe is the most winning quarterback in NFL history, regular and post season over a 5 year time frame. I'm not sure where the Ravens are going to finish up this year, but I do think that Ozzie did a masterful job in turning over the roster. Had he failed to do so, we would have been like the Steelers, and in shambles. 

I agree the next draft is crucial to the Ravens future. They badly need help on the offensive line. I think the Ravens and Joe have done well to go 3-2. They are in first place despite a large turnover of personnel. Bringing in Monroe should help booster a sagging offensive line that has been hurt by a past his prime McKinnie on left tackle. Gradkowski may be better suited as a back-up at center. Much of Flacco's problems is because he is getting knocked around because of lack of protection. They also abandoned the runnung game in two games which killed them. They are 19-2 when they rush 21 times. They need Ray Rice involved like last week. 

Joe's salary is still fairly modest the next two years, then it goes up. In 2014 and 2015, he will get 14.8 and 14.55 million respectively. The Ravens could run into problems in 2016 if they don't restructure as the cap hit will be 28.55 million. Knowing Joe, he will want to restructure and extend his contract similar to Brady so the Ravens can keep winning. Flacco is a good guy. He is non-pretensious, and even got himself some Chicken McNuggets after he signed his big contract. 

In addition, the receiver corp is banged up. Jacoby Jones and Marlin Brown will be back soon, and there is even some hope Pitta may be back for the playoffs. If the offensive line can stabilize, the Ravens may be back in the playoffs for a 6th straight season. The draft , however as you said, will be crucial. They badly need a center and tackle, and they never draft high. Could also use a tight end . 

I'm pretty comfortable with Joe. I know he has some up and down games , especially in regular season road games, but the fact of the matter is Joe is the most winning quarterback in NFL history, regular and post season over a 5 year time frame. I'm not sure where the Ravens are going to finish up this year, but I do think that Ozzie did a masterful job in turning over the roster. Had he failed to do so, we would have been like the Steelers, and in shambles. 

I agree the next draft is crucial to the Ravens future. They badly need help on the offensive line. I think the Ravens and Joe have done well to go 3-2. They are in first place despite a large turnover of personnel. Bringing in Monroe should help booster a sagging offensive line that has been hurt by a past his prime McKinnie on left tackle. Gradkowski may be better suited as a back-up at center. Much of Flacco's problems is because he is getting knocked around because of lack of protection. They also abandoned the runnung game in two games which killed them. They are 19-2 when they rush 21 times. They need Ray Rice involved like last week. 

Joe's salary is still fairly modest the next two years, then it goes up. In 2014 and 2015, he will get 14.8 and 14.55 million respectively. The Ravens could run into problems in 2016 if they don't restructure as the cap hit will be 28.55 million. Knowing Joe, he will want to restructure and extend his contract similar to Brady so the Ravens can keep winning. Flacco is a good guy. He is non-pretensious, and even got himself some Chicken McNuggets after he signed his big contract. 

In addition, the receiver corp is banged up. Jacoby Jones and Marlin Brown will be back soon, and there is even some hope Pitta may be back for the playoffs. If the offensive line can stabilize, the Ravens may be back in the playoffs for a 6th straight season. The draft , however as you said, will be crucial. They badly need a center and tackle, and they never draft high. Could also use a tight end . 

I am not the biggest Flacco fan but he is a winner. That is undeniable.

And your point about the Steelers is spot on. Or how about the mess that is the NY Giants?

Ozzie just doesn't get enough credit.

I am not the biggest Flacco fan but he is a winner. That is undeniable.

And your point about the Steelers is spot on. Or how about the mess that is the NY Giants?

Ozzie just doesn't get enough credit.

The jury is still out on all of those moves, but I think the Raven's moves are closer to what the Patriots and Bellichick have done for years. You just don't keep overpriced veterans like the Steelers and Giants have. Look at the results. Looking at Reed getting burned by Vernon Davis last night, do you really think the Ravens should have signed him ? Not at the price he got. Ray and Ed are all-time legends, but their time has passed, and Ray certainly knew it. I think Ed wanted one last paycheck. 

What many don't understand is when you're a successful organization, you also get raided of free agents and coaches. Our fine Colt's friends on the forum have their head coach Chuck Pagano, and Cory Redding , to name a few ex-Ravens that are in Indy. We have lost many other top guys like Kruger, Ellerbe, Williams, and others, just to name a few. We had to resign our quarterback quickly, so we could sign other free agents this year. I know many thought Flacco got too much, but the fact of the matter is he is our best quarterback option, and he has gotten the job done in terms of wins and losses. There was no choice but to pay him, and he is a good guy. 

The defense is starting to look like a Raven's defense again. We're getting more sacks than ever, and the defense seems to be improving each week. Right now, our offensive line is in bad shape right now, but Monroe should help in place of McKinnie. We will get Jacoby Jones back shortly, and our other receivers should be coming back also. We need Ed Dickson to step up like he did against Miami at the tight end position, and not drop balls. 

Everybody got on us for trading Boldin, which I understand, as we loved the guy also for what he did. However, you can't keep everyone, and the 6 million we saved, got us 4-5 other players we needed. We'll see how it turns out, but we're at least in first place and in contention through five games. The Packers game will tell a lot about this team. It will not be easy.

I looked this up.

From 2008-2012, Joe won 54 regular season games with a playoff record of 9-4. (one ring)

Ben Roethlisber from 2004-2008 won 56 regular season games with a 9-2 playoff record (two rings)

Tom Brady from 2001-2005 won 58 regular season games with a 10-1 playoff record (three rings)

Brady is first, Ben second, and Joe third. Not sure if there are other 5 year stretches by other QBs but this came off the top of my head.

how can one not love that bootleg . . .

One of the commentators on, I think it was, NFL network said Peyton Manning ran it to kill some clock.  :D  Nobody on the panel could keep it together.

Peyton should not be allowed to run the ball..

It should be illegal

here was Manning 's reason for at line decision making to do that bootleg call

• With all of the planning that goes into an offensive game plan, with all of the hand-wringing over tendencies and personnel groupings that goes on league-wide week to week in the quest to be prepared for everything, the play where Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning didn’t tell anybody else what he was up to may still be the most interesting from Sunday’s wild affair.
  •  
  • Facing a third-and-1 at the Cowboys’ 1-yard line just before halftime, the Broncos initially had their three-wide receiver personnel grouping in the game. But the Broncos took a timeout and came back out onto the field in their heavy goal-line package -- three tight ends with Knowshon Moreno at running back and defensive tackle Mitch Unrein at fullback. The Broncos had an inside lead play called with Moreno scheduled to follow Unrein into the end zone.
  •  
  • But when Julius Thomas motioned from left to right and the defender followed him Manning was suddenly looking at no outside containment to his left.
  •  
  • And naked bootlegs only work -- the ones that I’ve done -- when you don’t tell anybody,’’ Manning said.
  •  
  • “You call the run play, and it’s a run play and you kind of make a decision there as you get to the line of scrimmage based on the right look and you think maybe they’re going to slant one way ... I did not tell anybody, so it’s the only way to get the linemen to fire off.’’ And fire off the Broncos linemen did -- to the right, taking every Cowboys defender along for the ride.
  •  
  • Manning kept the ball and scored his first rushing touchdown in five years. Or as Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan put it “he showed the zoom-zoom.’’ That could be the play's name if Manning decides to break the five-year embargo and the Broncos run it again in the coming months.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/1351/broncos-rewind-offense-4&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team