Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The *OFFICIAL* Colts vs. Seahawks Gameplan

bap1331

Vs Houston the TE ate us up, but we inexplicably played zone first half.  Second half, when we went back to man, TE's weren't so bad.  Vs SF we shut down Vernon Davis.  But vs Carolina, Greg Olsen had a good day.  So all in all, I'd say your TE might have a pretty good day.

Sherman and Browner play their own sides.  So Wayne won't be blanketed by Sherman unless he lines up on Shermans side.  Vs SF, Browner was out and Sherman specifically asked Carroll to be allowed to guard Boldin every play.  That was an exception and the sole exception to how Sherman is utilized.  My guess is that when Browner is on Wayne, they'll try to get Wayne the ball.  Otherwise, Fleener is probably your best option.  Thing is, ET backs up Browner and Browner is a Pro Bowl CB in his own right who has 9 INTS in two years.  And ET is ET. 

Our weakness is passes over the middle, under ET and away from Sherman and Browner.  Last year, that meant the aging Trufant was covering, but this year that's Walter Thurmond, who is doing a much better job.  It's our LBer corps who can be exploited over the middle.  So again, your TE may have a productive day.

Once the opposing offense gets into the red zone, however, ET doesn't have to play back and the middle becomes near impossible to pass into.  That's why teams like Houston can rack up so much yardage and come away with little to show for it on the scoreboard.  that and the odd decision to play zone the entire first half.

Was surprised to see so much zone in the first half this weekend, doubt they play any zone against Indy. I expect more press man coverage this upcoming game. Salishhawkfan is correct about how we defend against tight ends. Our defense is built for the redzone.

Where are you guys worried we might have a matchup advantage?

1. Luck must take care of the ball

2. No miscommunication between Luck and receivers/tight ends

3. Contain the running game. Can't get punched in the mouth like we did on the scoring drive in the Niner game

4. Continue to get pressure on the QB

5. LUCAS OIL MUST GET LOUD

Okay, so heres the deal...

1. The first advantage is that we are at home and the Seahawks are not as good on the road but let us not get confident...

2. The Seahawks cornerbacks are monstrous so we cant afford Luck to not show up to humiliate himself. Sherman is a trash talker but at least the only player he respects in the NFL is Andrew Luck. So the gameplan here is to pound a running game with Ahmad Bradshaw, Trent Richardson, and Donald Brown...

3. Defense needs to put pressure on Russell Wilson. But I would say to contain him like we did with Kaepernick. Hes not tall enough to throw over the oline so he will run out of the pocket. Make sure the D-line do its best to block his passes.

4. Keep an eye on Beast Mode...very dangerous so the D will need to prepare for this one.

What do you think?

1. That's true. And that's all good.

2. How do you know that Sherman respects Lick? Because they played at Stanford?

3. Not tall enough to see over the O Line. *sigh*. I thought we put this to rest last year???

4. You better.

Another seahawks fan here. This is how I see it as the formula to beat us

1. You have to dink and dunk us down the field using your TE's I know one of them is fleenor. And use your RB's out of the backfield

2. You have to rush the passer, we have a beat up offensive line missing 2 tackles likely for this game, thankfully Ungar is likely to return for this game.

As for the myth that Wilson can't throw in the pocket, it's a complete myth. He gets a reputation as a guy who only throws outside the pocket because he's so good at improvising. If you look at the number from inside the pocket he's actually very good.

Predicting a close seahawks win 23-19. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost at all, however I don't think we're gonna get blown out like some people here are predicting, we haven't been blown out since early 2011 and the colts aren't such a juggernaut that they would be the ones to do it.

If I were to give keys to a seahawks win it would be

1. Score first because when the hawks take the lead and are able to pound beast mode we're a very good team. Also it will allow our d-line and LB's to pin their ears back with all the pass rushers we have such as Bennett avril clem McDonald and now irvin

2. Protection simply has to improve, our O-line is good at run blocking, but our pass blocking sans okung who's injured is just plain bad, especially Carpenter who has been the biggest 1st round bust of the carroll era.

Here's to a great injury free game

We must attempt to deflate them with our running game. We're going to need a SanFran effort to achieve that. Once we get them committed to stopping our run it'll open up the passing game.

Punch them in the mouth early.

Easier said than done.

Does anyone know how Bradshaws doing? Or if they plan on starting him? Thats a big key to us winning IMO..

I agree, although I seriously doubt he'll be back in time.  A neck injury doesn't sound like one that just puts you on the sidelines for 1 game.  

Another Hawks fan here

I think getting Bruce Irvin back will be huge for the Hawks , we finally will get to see the full rotation of pass rushers and the defence is at last at full strength and I'm sure a little upset with the first half of the Texans game . I say first half because they never scored again after half time and that was almost 3 full quarters of play with the OT .

Another thing that seldom gets talked about is how Seattle finishes games . They have the rotation to keep guys fresh on the d and that has made us a 4th quarter nightmare for O- lines , teams that arent conditioned or don't play 4 quarters have l

Guest TeamLoloJones

Another Hawks fan here

I think getting Bruce Irvin back will be huge for the Hawks , we finally will get to see the full rotation of pass rushers and the defence is at last at full strength and I'm sure a little upset with the first half of the Texans game . I say first half because they never scored again after half time and that was almost 3 full quarters of play with the OT .

Another thing that seldom gets talked about is how Seattle finishes games . They have the rotation to keep guys fresh on the d and that has made us a 4th quarter nightmare for O- lines , teams that arent conditioned or don't play 4 quarters have l

No Michael Bennett?  You guys will need to have you backup o-lineman play alot better than they did vs. Houston.  Our front isn't as good as Houston's but you can't always count on Russell escaping like Houdini.

Welcome to the board.

I have a question, how good are you guys at covering TEs? because I feel like Luck will be looking towards Fleener a lot with Sherman blanketing his go-to-guy, Reggie Wayne.

Maybe take note of these names, Browner, Thomas, Chancellor and Thurmond.   At any point, Browner or Thurmond will take Wayne.  I know he is a great receiver and all that along with Hilton, but the secondary for Seattle doesn't typically follow a receiver, they man up on whoever is in their area. Sherman gets the most press, but the others are equally responsible.  Thurmond and Sherman like to cover routes, Browner just likes to go WWE on whoever he lined up against in the 5 yard press.  I would like to take the time in advance to apologize for anything you might see happen from number 39.  He is just a little "different".

It ought to be an interesting game.  As far as the TE goes, if it is the traditional, down-the-middle big old TE, the Colts may have success on Seattle that way, but if Fleener is speedy and athletic, he will draw a DB and that may not work out so well.  I do not expect a lot of zone like the Hawks ran last week, it appears that they were very worried about the Johnson/Hopkins/Daniels show and adjusted to man in the 2nd half.  But who knows?  Maybe they play a lot more man.   We'll see, Indy is a fantastic squad and the Seahawk defense will again, have it's hands full. 

No Michael Bennett?  You guys will need to have you backup o-lineman play alot better than they did vs. Houston.  Our front isn't as good as Houston's but you can't always count on Russell escaping like Houdini.

Michael Bennett is going to practice this week, he should be a go vs you guys, and yes our oline must play better, hopefully ungar gets back, and bowie improves with a week of experience

Michael Bennett is going to practice this week, he should be a go vs you guys, and yes our oline must play better, hopefully ungar gets back, and bowie improves with a week of experience

Having Unger back would be huge. Carpenter played like absolute crap last game but a lot of that had to do with the huge downgrade at center. 

Was surprised to see so much zone in the first half this weekend,

I don't think you'll see much of that any longer. They don't play zone defense all that well. Their DB's are man cover corners period.

This may be a great game, but I believe Seattle matches up very favorably with the colts. That being said, Seattle is not going to win 16 games. More than likely they won't lose at home, so they will probably lose a road game or two. Maybe three. I doubt they lose to the Rams or Cards on the road, so this could be one.

Having Unger back would be huge. Carpenter played like absolute crap last game but a lot of that had to do with the huge downgrade at center.

carpenter wasn't the biggest issue on their offensive line. It was the rookie playing right tackle. But this week they won't be facing players like Watt and Cushing. The colts front seven is nowhere close to the texans.

He wouldn't get as many yards lol

Get Trent to the second/third level like that and its OVER for any DB. Once they quit running him in those power formations all of the time and keep the safety out of the box his ypc will go up a ton. Its no coincidence that when they went 4 wide with him as the single back he had a 12 yard gain. They are telegraphing when he runs WAY too much.