Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Welker Is A Stud

dw49

Watching Tom Brady & Bill Belichick stress consistency against the Atlanta Falcons seems to be a common theme. Brady lit up when he mentioned Julian Edelman & how well he has performed & made the most of his opportunity with Amendola's absence. It's just so weird to see Tom go from stoic to excited in his answers when Edelman's name was mentioned. I also admire how NE doesn't dwell on the loss of Welker. Julian just slides right in & his production is demanded just like the expectations were for Wes Welker. 

Reporter to Bill Belichick: "What does Gronk look like?" Answer: "There's definitely improvement there."  haha  I love those non answer answers. I was surprised to see Bill's in depth answer on Falcons RB Jason Snelling with good balance, strong, good hands. Whenever Bill gives an in depth game answer, I'm always both shocked & pleasantly surprised. His reply to evaluating both Asante Samuel & Tony Gonzales's skill sets was longer than I expected to hear too. 

I think Bill figures once you have become a legitimate threat or thorn in his side for about 5 seasons then he will take the time to really dissect your strengths & weaknesses & give you a more than 1 word response in film evaluations. 

Prove you belong in this league before he sings your praises as an intelligent athlete. JMO. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey to all my NE friends out there, SW1 has a question that's been bothering me. Why does Bill Belichick wear Grey Hoodies all season long &, if they get to the SB, he wears a red hoodie? 

Nothing wrong with it all, but why does he change hoodie colors for all SB appearances? It's not even the exact same color or hue of the throwback Patriots jerseys. Any thoughts? 

020408-belichick-red-hoodie.jpg

belichick11.jpg

Boston is probably my favorite historical city in the world though. It seeps & drips with it. Anyway, NE's vintage uniforms Rock! No one is a traitor or quisling here. LOL! Certainly not New England. 

Okay, enough American History for 1 day. Just Kidding! 

The Patriots will beat the Falcons 28-17 IMO.

Hey to all my NE friends out there, SW1 has a question that's been bothering me. Why does Bill Belichick wear Grey Hoodies all season long &, if they get to the SB, he wears a red hoodie? 

Nothing wrong with it all, but why does he change hoodie colors for all SB appearances? It's not even the exact same color or hue of the throwback Patriots jerseys. Any thoughts?

probably to be more polite to the league- more in step by wearing a team color. He loses in red though.

he is much better than average.

Not before he came to NE he wasn't. He is good but nothing he does is great(except getting open underneath), doesn't have great hands or great speed, He does 1 thing extremely well and that is he knows how to get open 

Not before he came to NE he wasn't. He is good but nothing he does is great(except getting open underneath), doesn't have great hands or great speed, He does 1 thing extremely well and that is he knows how to get open

...and he's really good at getting yards after the catch.

Great- you spent all your likes on AM :>

I agree with what you said although as you say we could probably find some disagreements.

One thing that got me years back was all the talk of Manning can read defenses better and that I disagreed with. They both read them equally well but differently. Perhaps its Manning is good at the pre snap while Brady reads better once the ball is snapped. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Also is just plain experience-like Brady once said I've seen every defense they can throw at me.

When I first saw Brady I noticed his beady eyes surveying the entire field. Like the new generation who are good at reflex video games.

Oh I agree pre-snap Brady gets it all....I just meant Peyton does more pre-snap to get players in the right position or into the best play....even if thats a run. Definately 1 and 1A at that. I've never seen a quicker release than Brady....he can really get it out fast when he knows where he wants to go with it. I mean these guys are both HOF and the game is lucky to have had them....definately raised the level of the NFL....I mean you will see a qb have a hot year or two but these guys have decades of doing it. Brady has come so far!! That is what is amazing....to managing the game for Belichek in the early years to becoming one of the most prolific statistical qbs of all time....and he looks soo much younger than Peyton even though he really isn't much....he looks like he may go til he is 45. I honestly think Peyton has about 3 years left after this. I know he wants a ring...but he also would like to break those Favre records to I'm sure. Once he did that and if he had another ring I think he would hang it up...but Tom just looks like he is 25 out there.

When was the last time you saw Welker spit out wide and run down the field outside the numbers . . . if so, how often does it happen relative to the rest of his routes while playing in NE? . . .  they are called slot receivers for a reason, whether you think the NFL's label is a misconception I will leave that for you to figure out on your spare time . . .

Regardless of what concept you have of our offense, the vast majority of Welker's, Gronk's and Ahern's routes when down the middle of the field . . . i.e. inside the numbers . . . which if fine if you are successful, but a teams primary offense if located in a portion of the field it can be predictable . . . and the defense can tailor to that location . . . surely a gronk-ahern-welker in the middle of the field is very likely more effective that a well balance placement of college sophomores WRs, and we were effective with it . . . but we are simply trying to change this type offense . . . well we have always been just have not found a good outside split out wide WR since Moss left . . . 

The problem is if you bring in Amendola you take up a WR roster spot but with a player who primary role is in an area already saturated with teammates, see the problem . . . which might be find if you have one or two stud split out wide WRs (i.e. Moss) . . . but one can not always get this and will have to make to with FAs, trades and draft and one needs to have a few players on the team to develop . . . one can't just draft Dobson and put all of ones eggs in his basket hoping he will be the be all and end all outside the numbers . . . you have to take a flier on at least two; and as such, limits ones roster spots . . .

teams only carry 6 WRs, and with Slater being basically a ST guy, and great at it, that leaves us with only 5 WRs roster spots with Amendola and Edelman taking two of them, thereby leaving only three left . . . if our 3 TEs are in the middle, then we have 6 of our 9 offense roster spots tide up in the middle of the field, . . . why would we want to go to 7 out of 9?  again if we had Moss and say a backup for him, maybe we can get away it on 2 of 9 dedicated to the outside . . . but without a proven wide out, one really has to safe 3 spots for this area . . .

Yes, that is why they spent all that money on another slot receiver....

Yes, that is why they spent all that money on another slot receiver....

They also drafted two outside WRs (Dobson and Boyce) and signed an undrafted free agent outside WR (Thompkins) and traded to get RB Blount to go along with Ridley, Bouldin, and Vareen. But keep thinking their offense is the same.

^^^THIS...perfectly sums up Welker.

He was flanked by Moss then Gronk and Hernandez and now Thomas and Decker. Guy hit gold with his QBs and the talent around him ...

probably to be more polite to the league- more in step by wearing a team color. He loses in red though.

Exactly JJ, break the losing tradition & bury the red jersey for good. Burn it on a funeral pyre & never wear a crimson colored jersey again. Fire does tend to kill & destroy whatever it incinerates. 

funeral-pyre.jpg

I don't know about that Gavin. Welker has a low center of gravity & he runs exceptional comeback routes when his QB is in trouble. Plus, he's always open even when he is covered meaning that he knows how to shed defenders & make plays when no one else can. In addition, Wes is money on 3rd & long. He moves the chains 90% of the time. 

Don't sell Welker short in Miami. He was NE's 1st real free agent play maker for Tom Brady not Randy Moss. 

The dude is an average wr who has had two hall of famers throwing to him now, He is good route runner no doubt but when I think of Welker nothing special comes to mind in terms of great wr

Are you serious? How do you define a great WR? Stats alone? In Miami, Welker was the only reliable offensive weapon & no matter where he's been, he automatically becomes the QB's best friend & security blanket.

The fact that Welker is so short with a small body type makes him difficult to find in traffic & is more impressive production wise when you consider that he's not 6' 8 with long legs & an enormous wingspan like the Detroit Lions Megatron. He reminds me of how tiny Spud Web in basketball who dunked balls & made his presence known despite his small frame among physical giants in his field. Plus, Welker is always on the field year after year week after week & availability means everything in this league. 

It ticks me off when people dismiss Welker so quickly. Also, Welker intelligence & ability to understand the down & distance of every situation cannot be underestimated. Whatever Brady or Manning needs, Wes will get. He thinks exactly like a QB & that is why Welker is so special IMHO.

^^^THIS...perfectly sums up Welker.

He was flanked by Moss then Gronk and Hernandez and now Thomas and Decker. Guy hit gold with his QBs and the talent around him ...

I love how people forget Welker's time in Miami like Welker did nothing. What a pile of steaming elephant dung. Let's see, he was always double teamed, every DC tried to shut Wes down & couldn't do it. He still got his touches & scored.

Let me ask you something: If Wes was so insignificant, why did Bill Belicheck & the great Tom Brady push so hard to land him in Foxboro? Why was Robert Kraft so distraught when NE lost him to Denver? Production doesn't fall out of the sky. A WR needs to make it happen. Why was Tom Brady so upset when he learned that Wes was gone? Gee, I don't know he was always where Brady expected him to be, he knew how to go up & get the ball, He knew exactly what Brady was thinking. 

Even with Decker & Thomas, you might need to run screens, catch balls out of the backfield, slide underneath in zone coverage....I can keep going....All this dismissiveness toward Welker is so inaccurate, unfounded, & revisionist history simply because he is no longer a NE Patriot. It's so obvious & evident to me. Oh well, 1 person's garbage is another person's treasure I guess. 

I love how people forget Welker's time in Miami like Welker did nothing. What a pile of steaming elephant dung. Let's see, he was always double teamed, every DC tried to shut Wes down & couldn't do it. He still got his touches & scored.

Let me ask you something: If Wes was so insignificant, why did Bill Belicheck & the great Tom Brady push so hard to land him in Foxboro? Why was Robert Kraft so distraught when NE lost him to Denver? Production doesn't fall out of the sky. A WR needs to make it happen. Why was Tom Brady so upset when he learned that Wes was gone? Gee, I don't know he was always where Brady expected him to be, he knew how to go up & get the ball, He knew exactly what Brady was thinking. 

Even with Decker & Thomas, you might need to run screens, catch balls out of the backfield, slide underneath in zone coverage....I can keep going....All this dismissiveness toward Welker is so inaccurate, unfounded, & revisionist history simply because he is no longer a NE Patriot. It's so obvious & evident to me. Oh well, 1 person's garbage is another person's treasure I guess. 

I seem to recall 3 HOF QBs [or soon to be in 2 of them]: Brady, Manning, & Elway wanting Welker badly not the other way around. I'm just saying. Who is begging who here? It's a rhetorical question BTW. 

Accuracy & fairness mean everything to SW1. Not speculation & conjecture. 

Welker is arguably the best slot receiver in NFL history. I remember him in Miami. He was always a pest against New England.

I was sorry he left but he's not the first player to leave with gas still left in their tank. See Vinatieri, McGinest, Seymour ...

Thank you FE for your candor & honesty. SW1 really appreciates that. Yes, Denver will probably be Wes's last NFL ride once his contract expires I agree. Father Times comes calling for every athlete. No exceptions. 

Welker may have lost a step or 2. It happens, but its a question of you can't stop every offensive weapon on the field & Welker is like a gnat that makes the opposition break their concentration at a crucial moment. Touchdown! Like you said "a pest" that you can't get rid of or stop. He's relentless....

Welker is arguably the best slot receiver in NFL history. 

Great point! How many people just zero in on NFL slot receivers exclusively? KA Ching! Money in the bank baby & Wes can take a brutal hit & still hang on to the ball. I'd sign that ranked petition. Easily within the top 3 of my generation. But the so called "experts" always royally mess it up & drop the ball. It's like winning an oscar at the Academy Awards. The wrong person gets the golden statue 9 chances out of 10 IMO.  

Interesting debate question though FE. 

So much Welker hate makes me sad.

I'm thrilled that the best slot machine I've seen over two decades is on one of my favorite teams. He's a durable, Y.A.C. monster who figuratively always gets open and moves the chains. Can't ask for much more than that.

Don't let it upset you. You and Welker will forever be :kitty:

Wow , never knew he was this good. Why the heck wasn't Grigson smart enough to sign this guy. If I knew how to set up a poll , I would do one for how many TD's he scores this year. My guess would be 18.

Wes Welker missed an important catch to end their win against the Giants 2 years ago. I wouldn't call him a stud. Butter fingers from our WR last year led Andrew Luck to a 50% completion rate last year. Also our loss to the Ravens last year when the Baltimore D intercepted a catchable ball to end our playoff hopes..

Im happy with what we have now. :)

Wes Welker missed an important catch to end their win against the Giants 2 years ago. I wouldn't call him a stud. Butter fingers from our WR last year led Andrew Luck to a 50% completion rate last year. Also our loss to the Ravens last year when the Baltimore D intercepted a catchable ball to end our playoff hopes..

Im happy with what we have now. :)

Point taken

Are you serious? How do you define a great WR? Stats alone? In Miami, Welker was the only reliable offensive weapon & no matter where he's been, he automatically becomes the QB's best friend & security blanket.

The fact that Welker is so short with a small body type makes him difficult to find in traffic & is more impressive production wise when you consider that he's not 6' 8 with long legs & an enormous wingspan like the Detroit Lions Megatron. He reminds me of how tiny Spud Web in basketball who dunked balls & made his presence known despite his small frame among physical giants in his field. Plus, Welker is always on the field year after year week after week & availability means everything in this league. 

It ticks me off when people dismiss Welker so quickly. Also, Welker intelligence & ability to understand the down & distance of every situation cannot be underestimated. Whatever Brady or Manning needs, Wes will get. He thinks exactly like a QB & that is why Welker is so special IMHO.

He is great for his role, The best slot receiver in the game today, What I mean is he dont have any 1 quality (except for getting open underneath) thats great such as hands or speed, he dont have great height. One of the greatest slot wr's of all time (not sure about the greatest, I'd personally rather go with Chrebet)

He is great for his role, The best slot receiver in the game today, What I mean is he dont have any 1 quality (except for getting open underneath) thats great such as hands or speed, he dont have great height. One of the greatest slot wr's of all time (not sure about the greatest, I'd personally rather go with Chrebet)

I can respect your point of view Gavin & I do appreciate that you believe Welker is "the best slot receiver in the game today." Thank you. But, I still say that Welker's lack of height is what made me notice him in Miami & I was amazed at how effectively he was a thorn in the side of defenses, almost transforming a physical limitation into a non issue.  

I don't hold height against any athlete. That's like saying a person's eye color prevents them from catching balls & scoring TDs. It's a genetic trait a person is born with. It is not a skill set. Making people forget your height, or lack of it, speaks volumes about Welker's drive & work ethic to get open & move the 1st down chains. We are 85% in agreement here Gavin, but we deviate slightly over how we apply the significance of height to an athlete that's all. On the opposite end of the spectrum, just because a person has long arms & legs that doesn't automatically make that person a superstar NFL or NBA player either. It is possible to be tall & uncoordinated.

They also drafted two outside WRs (Dobson and Boyce) and signed an undrafted free agent outside WR (Thompkins) and traded to get RB Blount to go along with Ridley, Bouldin, and Vareen. But keep thinking their offense is the same.

Ugh... they already had an emphasis on the run last year, do I really need to bring up stats?

Who is the highest paid receiver on the team? The slot guy.

Who would be the primary target if he was on the field? The slot guy.

Drafting a couple a wide-outs is no indication of a change of philosophy.

only you and Wayne chrebets mom would take him over Welker

Ugh... they already had an emphasis on the run last year, do I really need to bring up stats?

Who is the highest paid receiver on the team? The slot guy.

Who would be the primary target if he was on the field? The slot guy.

Drafting a couple a wide-outs is no indication of a change of philosophy.

Um, no. Gronk is the highest paid receiver on the team and Hernandez would have been next if not for his arrest.

In terms of the run game, it was a huge focus last year and they bolstered it more with the trade for Blount indicating an even larger role.

Right now the WRs on the outside have been Brady's primary targets through the first three games.

Um, no. Gronk is the highest paid receiver on the team and Hernandez would have been next if not for his arrest.

In terms of the run game, it was a huge focus last year and they bolstered it more with the trade for Blount indicating an even larger role.

Right now the WRs on the outside have been Brady's primary targets through the first three games.

because amendola is hurt

because amendola is hurt

Endleman has been playing the slot and has gotten his catches but Brady has still targeted the outside receivers more. When Gronk comes back you will see one of the most balanced Pats offense in recent years. Amendola will get his too but it will not be the 174 targets that Welker had. No where close to that.

Resorting to semantics because you refuse to acknowledge the facts? Gronkowski is a TE my friend. Amendola is the highest paid receiver. The run game will be emphasized again, like it was last year, stop trying to act like this is any different.

Brady's primary target has been Edelman... is he your stereotypical outside receiver? Thompkin's and Dobson's participation has been the result of injuries.

Continue to make your feeble arguments... I have never seen you acknowledge when you are wrong and I doubt you ever will. 

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

Endleman has been playing the slot and has gotten his catches but Brady has still targeted the outside receivers more. When Gronk comes back you will see one of the most balanced Pats offense in recent years. Amendola will get his too but it will not be the 174 targets that Welker had. No where close to that.

lol, Amendola has played one game and was targeted 14 times... that averages to 224 over a season. Your arguments really are so weak.

lol, its like arguing with a child...

Resorting to semantics because you refuse to acknowledge the facts? Gronkowski is a TE my friend. Amendola is the highest paid receiver. The run game will be emphasized again, like it was last year, stop trying to act like this is any different.

Brady's primary target has been Edelman... is he your stereotypical outside receiver? Thompkin's and Dobson's participation has been the result of injuries.

Continue to make your feeble arguments... I have never seen you acknowledge when you are wrong and I doubt you ever will. 

Don't understand the insults honestly. Why the child comment? Can't you debate like an adult?

My argument was never about the salaries of the players. Amendola is being paid like that because he is that good. My point was that he will not be targeted 174 times like Welker. The offense has morphed given the outside threats that Brady has targeted more then the slot. He hit 8 different players with passes last week and had more than 100 yards rushing from his RBs. Amendola will get his share of balls but the offense will be more balanced then it has the last few years. So far that has been the case the last three games and I expect that to continue as the WRs on the outside continue to progress.

lol, Amendola has played one game and was targeted 14 times... that averages to 224 over a season. Your arguments really are so weak.

Check the outside WR targets (Thomkins/Dobson) the last three games. The Pats did not target that position nearly as much last season. There will be more balance.