Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why not load up the box and dare the 49ers to pass?

BlueShoe

Just for hypothetical fan talk, and it may be a possibility that this is our game plan. It is a copy-cat league and Seattle gave the NFL the blueprint Sunday Night. 

Seattle proved that Kaepernick does not make great decisions when he is pressured. I can’t think of a better place for Landry to be than in Kaepernick’s grill all day. Our corners can cover for at least a few seconds. We might give up a few big plays throughout the game, but it would speed up Kaepenick’s internal clock and make him think twice about running. I believe the worst thing we can do is allow him to feel comfortable by dropping into zone coverage all day long. We may not have the same personnel as Seattle, but we can mix enough nine man fronts in to throw him off his game. 

Just some random thoughts. 

LOL. That was a vision that I did not want to have. 

Did you hear the 49ers are upset about getting embarrassed by Seattle on Sunday Night? They are going to be so mad. 

I am getting excited for this game win or lose. Everyone will be watching and especially now after our OMG trade....haha

We have not had too many of these later games and all so this is a good experience too. I have a feeling we WILL show up.....

They can be mad all they want. We will be mad too. It will be the ANGER bowl.

I am getting excited for this game win or lose. Everyone will be watching and especially now after our OMG trade.... haha

We have not had too many of these later games and all so this is a good experience too. I have a feeling we WILL show up.....

Someone needs to get all of these people in a Charlie Goodson session as soon as possible. 

I am getting excited for this game win or lose. Everyone will be watching and especially now after our OMG trade....haha

Anger leads to the Dark side :P

I think figuring out what other teams strengths and weaknesses are is the easy part(not easy but the easy part). The hard part comes in countering those strengths and weaknesses, I'd personally like to see more 4-2-5 alignments, I just dont think we will be able to consistently stop him if we give alot of 3-4 looks, especially if we dont have Walden. what I would do is:

1.Line up in a 4-2-5 set

2.Crash our weakside DE down towards the rb after splitting him out a little bit wider then normal

3.Slowly bring Landry down into the box making sure he is aware of a potential pass but also with the initial  intention of playing the run

4.Have your other 3 D Linemen try to collapse the pocket

5.Have Davis and Toler play Man coverage

6.QB Spy with Freeman

7.Have your nickel corner playing the run

Kaeperneck is a very gifted player, He can beat you with his arm but if you can get pressure on him and keep him in the pocket then you have a much better chance

(I cant draw it up but I saw Seattle do it well :funny: )

Just for hypothetical fan talk, and it may be a possibility that this is our game plan. It is a copy-cat league and Seattle gave the NFL the blueprint Sunday Night. 

Seattle proved that Kaepernick does not make great decisions when he is pressured. I can’t think of a better place for Landry to be than in Kaepernick’s grill all day. Our corners can cover for at least a few seconds. We might give up a few big plays throughout the game, but it would speed up Kaepenick’s internal clock and make him think twice about running. I believe the worst thing we can do is allow him to feel comfortable by dropping into zone coverage all day long. We may not have the same personnel as Seattle, but we can mix enough nine man fronts in to throw him off his game. 

Just to comment on the bold part; I think we can do it as Seattle did it, HOWEVER, Manusky/Pagano need to play our corners much more aggressively than they have the past 2 weeks. Playing soft man/zone coverage against Kap will get us lit up, much like Tannehll did to us. They need to put these guys in position to make plays, because they are more than capable. There is no reason that Toler is playing 10 yards off the ball nor Davis either. Let these guys get physical with the receivers. IF they do that I think we have a great shot, if not, we better hope the offense doesn't sputter.

Just to comment on the bold part; I think we can do it as Seattle did it, HOWEVER, Manusky/Pagano need to play our corners much more aggressively than they have the past 2 weeks. Playing soft man/zone coverage against Kap will get us lit up, much like Tannehll did to us. They need to put these guys in position to make plays, because they are more than capable. There is no reason that Toler is playing 10 yards off the ball nor Davis either. Let these guys get physical with the receivers. IF they do that I think we have a great shot, if not, we better hope the offense doesn't sputter.

I agree completely. Good post!

week 1 at home Kaep threw for 412 yards and 3 tds.  He's probably up to the task if we force him to throw.  Boldin had 200+ yards receiving..and how did Boldin do the last time against us?  pretty good 150+ yards in the playoff game.  Andrew Luck and the Colts are just not as good on the road as they are at home (which is true for nearly all teams).

Because our pass rush is nowhere near the caliber of Seattle.

And neither is the Colds secondary.  Seattle played the SF receivers exclusively man on man.  No other defensive back field can do that and expect the same results. 

Bolden and Vernon Davis are the real deal.  They won't be shut out like they were last week until they play Seattle again.  

I think figuring out what other teams strengths and weaknesses are is the easy part(not easy but the easy part). The hard part comes in countering those strengths and weaknesses, I'd personally like to see more 4-2-5 alignments, I just dont think we will be able to consistently stop him if we give alot of 3-4 looks, especially if we dont have Walden. what I would do is:

1.Line up in a 4-2-5 set

2.Crash our weakside DE down towards the rb after splitting him out a little bit wider then normal

3.Slowly bring Landry down into the box making sure he is aware of a potential pass but also with the initial  intention of playing the run

4.Have your other 3 D Linemen try to collapse the pocket

5.Have Davis and Toler play Man coverage

6.QB Spy with Freeman

7.Have your nickel corner playing the run

Kaeperneck is a very gifted player, He can beat you with his arm but if you can get pressure on him and keep him in the pocket then you have a much better chance

(I cant draw it up but I saw Seattle do it well :funny: )

From reading this is what a lot of college teams have turned to to counter the read option. So sorry if I'm being stupid here for not getting it out from the above but what's your personel line up for this? 

DEs of Matthis and Werner (Playing the weakside)? 

DTs?

LBs of Conner/Sheppard and Freeman?

CBs as stated of Davis/Toler with a Nickel back of Vaughan? 

S's Bethea and Landry

I'd like to see us use 3 S's instead and have Landry in the hybrid LB/S role as I think we're stronger overall at S than CB if that makes sense 

From reading this is what a lot of college teams have turned to to counter the read option. So sorry if I'm being stupid here for not getting it out from the above but what's your personel line up for this? 

DEs of Matthis and Werner (Playing the weakside)? 

DTs?

LBs of Conner/Sheppard and Freeman?

CBs as stated of Davis/Toler with a Nickel back of Vaughan? 

S's Bethea and Landry

I'd like to see us use 3 S's instead and have Landry in the hybrid LB/S role as I think we're stronger overall at S than CB if that makes sense 

I believe there was one point in the game last week that Bethea, Landry, and Legfeged were all on the field at the same time. I think it was only one play, but I'm pretty sure I seen all 3 out there.

And neither is the Colds secondary.  Seattle played the SF receivers exclusively man on man.  No other defensive back field can do that and expect the same results. 

Bolden and Vernon Davis are the real deal.  They won't be shut out like they were last week until they play Seattle again.  

Based off what? We have yet to play tight man coverage with this secondary, so we don't really know what they are capable of. I don't understand why we are playing the secondary so soft. I get the whole "lets keep everything in front of us" idea, but I DON'T get letting a team just dink-and-dunk and you to death down the field.   

RE-Mathis (Crashing down watching for anything up the middle, if pass then rush)

DT1-Redding(Crashing down watching for anything up the middle, if pass then rush)

DT2-Francois(Crashing down watching for anything up the middle, if pass then rush)

LE-Werner(Out a bit wider then normal crashing down on RB )

SS Bethea-Single high Safety

FS-Landry-coming down in the box going over to the left side for backside contain (basically almost adding a 4th linebacker)

LOLB-Walden Holding contain (if healthy)

ILB-Freeman QB spy

ROLB-Angerer Holding contain (going for some athleticism out here although I know its not alot)

CB1-Jamming wr with eyes in backfield for run to come his way, if run comes his way, release and go after QB

CB2-Man Coverage

I looked at it wrong it was a 4-3 alignment, Im still learning what type of defenses I see when defenses move around just before the snap

(Its like a 6-1-4 alignment presnap and right before the ball is snapped they go into a 4-3

RE-Mathis (Crashing down watching for anything up the middle, if pass then rush)

DT1-Redding(Crashing down watching for anything up the middle, if pass then rush)

DT2-Francois(Crashing down watching for anything up the middle, if pass then rush)

LE-Werner(Out a bit wider then normal crashing down on RB )

SS Bethea-Single high Safety

FS-Landry-coming down in the box going over to the left side for backside contain (basically almost adding a 4th linebacker)

LOLB-Walden Holding contain (if healthy)

ILB-Freeman QB spy

ROLB-Angerer Holding contain (going for some athleticism out here although I know its not alot)

CB1-Jamming wr with eyes in backfield for run to come his way, if run comes his way, release and go after QB

CB2-Man Coverage

I looked at it wrong it was a 4-3 alignment, Im still learning what type of defenses I see when defenses move around just before the snap

(Its like a 6-1-4 alignment presnap and right before the ball is snapped they go into a 4-3

Thank you for taking the time to write this up for me, I really was on the wrong page completely!

They'd kill us...we don't have the corners Seattle has.

We have to play our new found conservative game keep it close and go big at the end.

We can cover most their receivers....but we may have to double Boldin.

Based off what? We have yet to play tight man coverage with this secondary, so we don't really know what they are capable of.

You don't know, but the coaching staff does. If they were capable of playing man on man, they would. And against Bolden and Davis is not the time to work that into the scheme.

gacker65, on 19 Sept 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

I do not see the 49er fans making noise while their Offense is on the field like what happened to them last week.  Most of the 49er's problems stemmed from not being able to audible.

If we are playing in LOS, then we need to turn up the noise.

This. 131 decibels is like putting your head inside a jet engine.  

Since our pass rush does not get to the QB, we might be better off tipping Kaepernick's fast balls and hope it lands in our defenders' bread baskets :).

Take the underneath stuff away and dare Kaepernick to go deep, and keep containment on the outside.  I'd play heavy zone underneath and hope Kaepernick gets impatient and makes a mistake. Direct more runs to the inside where we are relatively stout.

I'm wondering how we are going to approach Vernon Davis and Anquan Boldin. Those are the keys in my mind.

The rest of their receiving corps is so so to me.

VD hurt his left hamstring so he probably won't be 100%. Niners need someone else to step it up Sunday because Boldin will probably have three guys around him like he did in Seattle.

week 1 at home Kaep threw for 412 yards and 3 tds.  He's probably up to the task if we force him to throw.  Boldin had 200+ yards receiving..and how did Boldin do the last time against us?  pretty good 150+ yards in the playoff game.  Andrew Luck and the Colts are just not as good on the road as they are at home (which is true for nearly all teams).

We look good on the road to me. :)