Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T-rich only averaged 3.6 yards per carry

AllYouNeedIsLuck

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is some crazy stats I saw that said like 42% of his yards came on 13 carries.

there's a little exaggeration there but he is definitely more capable of breaking a long run.   he had 36 runs of 10yrds+ with 11 of 20+ yrds.   with no QB at KC seems like he was running against a stacked box also.  Richardson had 14 runs of 10+ yards with 2 over 20yrds.

What kind of back do we really want?

Just watched all 11 of his TDs from last year.  Most of them are very impressive, not the short yardage plods I was expecting.

there's a little exaggeration there but he is definitely more capable of breaking a long run.   he had 36 runs of 10yrds+ with 11 of 20+ yrds.   with no QB at KC seems like he was running against a stacked box also.  Richardson had 14 runs of 10+ yards with 2 over 20yrds.

What kind of back to we really want?

But Cleveland has a better line that we do...that's my concern

58 yards..18 carries...

3.6 a carry last season..

Hopefully, we'll use him in the pass game.....he excelled there in 2012

Before the season I would have agreed, but we've opened some pretty decent holes for Ballard, Bradshaw and Brown thus far.  And we have a better QB, legitimate deep threats.  

Our run blocking has graded well thus far.  We'll see how Richardson does.  He faces a very stiff test for his first few weeks with the niners and the Seahawks.  Hopefully he can rack up a ton of yards against the Jaguars to stave off full on panic mode.

58 yards..18 carries...

It doesn't matter how good the line is when the D is stacking 8 in the box 40% of the time.

No threat of a pass. How many RBs do you know who succeed like that?

he had 7 tds of 6yrds or less

True, but he showed good power on his short plunges, and you use the odd yardage marker of 6 yards (rather then an even 5) because of a nifty run where the initial hole was closed and he broke it outside for the  6 yard TD.  

This one I thought was particularly nifty:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000086159/Richardson-26-yd-TD

His longest run was stopped by the endzone. 

It doesn't matter how good the line is when the D is stacking 8 in the box 40% of the time.

No threat of a pass. How many RBs do you know who succeed like that?

This is why people need to wait and see about Trent.  Yes, the 3.6 yards per carry is worrisome, but lets all remember who was throwing the ball for that team.  He had Brandon Wheeden throwing the ball and no defense is worried about him beating him through the air.  The Browns best weapon was Trent and defenses geared up to stop him.  Trent is not on the level of AD who can overcome Christian Ponder so he needs some help.

Now at the end of the season if he is still averaging 3.6 yards per carry with Luck then we have something to worry about.

This is why people need to wait and see about Trent. Yes, the 3.6 yards per carry is worrisome, but lets all remember who was throwing the ball for that team. He had Brandon Wheeden throwing the ball and no defense is worried about him beating him through the air. The Browns best weapon was Trent and defenses geared up to stop him. Trent is not on the level of AD who can overcome Christian Ponder so he needs some help.

Now at the end of the season if he is still averaging 3.6 yards per carry with Luck then we have something to worry about.

I give him the life of his contract to prove something. I'm not going to destroy a mid season acquisition based on the next 14 IMO.

Heck Donald Brown has been on the "give him more time" list since he's been drafted and people STILL defend his production lol.

True, but he showed good power on his short plunges, and you use the odd yardage marker of 6 yards (rather then an even 5) because of a nifty run where the initial hole was closed and he broke it outside for the  6 yard TD.  

This one I thought was particularly nifty:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000086159/Richardson-26-yd-TD

His longest run was stopped by the endzone. 

he had 2 for 6yds, 1 for 3yds, and 4 for 1 yd

So he had 5 tds of fewer than 3 yards.

6 touchdown runs of 6 or more yards.

Adrian Peterson also had 6 tds of 6 or more yards.  

Of course, Adrian did have more 80 yard tds.   :)

AP also had 61 rushes for 10+ yards last season.  Obviously he's no AP.  I don't think it's a bad trade,  I just think very good running backs can be found in round 2 or later so the price was a little high.

AP also had 61 rushes for 10+ yards last season.  Obviously he's no AP.  I don't think it's a bad trade,  I just think very good running backs can be found in round 2 or later so the price was a little high.

Fair enough.  Definitely a risk was taken and I got your point about Trent not breaking big runs last year.  Let's see what he can do.

I wasnt impressed with him in college and neither was The Great Jim Brown. Then he ran like a 4.7 at Pro Day. I dont get the hype around this guy. He may be a bigger, slower version of

Bradshaw.

So far you have found zero that impresses you. If the hype needs to be explained to you maybe you have a comprehension problem. 

Well, I guess he's a BUST.

Fire Grigs and the whole front office right now...

Seems like a bit of an over the top response to a legitimate question.  The OP did not say he was a bust or that Grigs should not have made the trade.

The fact is Richardson average 3.6 ypc his rookie year and 3.2 ypc so far this year.  The OP was asking if that was a concern... some people gave good answer and explained why it's not a concern.

58 yards..18 carries...

I see what your saying Mark but TRich could of have the best OLine in the NFL but if defenses are putting 8-9 in the box cuz your QB/wr/whole O is awful its going to make it tough sledding. Every D game planned to stop TRich, who else was going to hurt em? Do you think every D the Colts face will be game planning solely for Trich? I don't....

teams stacked the box to stop richardson they wont do that with the colts. if they do luck will destroy them.

you dont think teams stacked the box vs AP rookie season? he had tavaris jackson as his qb.

chris johsnon had Collins

jamal chaarles, had thigpen as his qb and matt cassell. .. jamal averaged 5.5 yards per carry with thigpen...so the whole teams stacked the box is not that good argument...also browns OL is WAY better than ours.

A couple things

1.With Ballard going down we did not have a real power back healthy, That could explain the 4th and 1 throw vs the Dolphins

2.This is a statement that we want to get tougher, bigger, more nasty

A  concern:

1.The Browns have a pretty decent run blocking O line, I saw there was times Richardson opted to barrel behind the O Line and get little out of it instead of having patience to hit another hole that opened

Well maybe the Colts coaches can coach him up? He is two games out of a rookie year. The Browns may or may not have a decent blocking o-line but when teams stack 8 in the box it don't matter much. 

This is why people need to wait and see about Trent.  Yes, the 3.6 yards per carry is worrisome, but lets all remember who was throwing the ball for that team.  He had Brandon Wheeden throwing the ball and no defense is worried about him beating him through the air.  The Browns best weapon was Trent and defenses geared up to stop him.  Trent is not on the level of AD who can overcome Christian Ponder so he needs some help.

see my post above. im not completely down with the trade i just dont like the fact that we have traded back to back premium picks.

elite RB's make it happen regardless who they have at QB...ie AP with tavaris jackson, chris johnson with kerry collins and jamaal charles with tighpen/cassell.. they all averaged more than 4.4 ypc

I wasnt impressed with him in college and neither was The Great Jim Brown. Then he ran like a 4.7 at Pro Day. I dont get the hype around this guy. He may be a bigger, slower version of

Bradshaw.

I believe his pro day he ran 4.48 which is in line with Donald Brown.