Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Renewing The Rivalry

atapcl

Colts.com has an article about the Colts and Dolphins renewing their rivalry. In 1970 the Dolphins hired our coach, Don Shula, and most of us long time Colts fans hated them for it. The NFL commissioner gave us Miami's first round pick in 1971 to compensate for losing our coach.

During the Manning years our rivalry was really with the Patriots and Miami seemed to be an afterthought.

Now during the Luck era does it feel like a rivalry with the Dolphins has been renewed?

I would think any real rivalry would be with Houston at this point, but that may be premature.

If the Colts become a perennial playoff team again, it'll be whichever team they have to go through regularly to get there. It could end up being the Broncos or the Ravens. (But probably the Broncos.)

I don't see them becoming a big rival unless Tannehill develops to the point that the media starts comparing him to Luck, and asking who is better (if RG3 had gone to Miami it definitely would have been a rivalry) or they realign divsions. I think Houston will remain our biggest rival especially if they get a good young QB to replace Schaub.

I Think houston is our only rival right now. Unless the Colts and Dolphins meet every year and play each other down to the wire, i dont see this being a rivalry at all. 

I'll always enjoy us beating the Pats, Steelers, and Chargers which as much heart break as they have caused us over the years.

I Think houston is our only rival right now. Unless the Colts and Dolphins meet every year and play each other down to the wire, i dont see this being a rivalry at all. 

I could see it happening.  As it was with the Colts/Patriots winning their divisions each year, I can see the Colts/Dolphins starting off (as of last year) as 2nd in their divisions and the Patriots/Texans slipping in the next year or so moving us up along with the Dolphins.  Of course, this is all just what-if and it would take a lot for this to happen.  Plausible, though.

Colts.com has an article about the Colts and Dolphins renewing their rivalry. In 1970 the Dolphins hired our coach, Don Shula, and most of us long time Colts fans hated them for it. The NFL commissioner gave us Miami's first round pick in 1971 to compensate for losing our coach.

During the Manning years our rivalry was really with the Patriots and Miami seemed to be an afterthought.

Now during the Luck era does it feel like a rivalry with the Dolphins has been renewed?

I wasn't aware of any rivalry between Miami and Indianapolis..

The only thing they have in common is that both cities have Triple-AAA baseball..

Great topic. The Pats and Chargers and the Steelers have been our rivals but none of them play in our division so that doesn't matter. What matters is if we battle it out every year for playoff spots, so if we see Miami again in the playoffs, it could become one. Tannehill will have to up his game, IMO though. So many people pit Luck against Griffin, that when the Colts play the Redskins, it will be a huge media driven event and every Colt and Redskin fan will be going crazy that week. That is what a rivalry feels like.