Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL Evaluation

atapcl

Last year we gave Steven Baker one of the highest signing bonuses of all the collegiate FAs. Baker was cut. This year we did the same for Emmett Cleary and he was recently released from IR with an injury settlement. Both players were rated highly for FAs and both were cut. Maybe we need another scout who is good at evaluating OL.

Last year we gave Steven Baker one of the highest signing bonuses of all the collegiate FAs. Baker was cut. This year we did the same for Emmett Cleary and he was recently released from IR with an injury settlement. Both players were rated highly for FAs and both were cut. Maybe we need another scout who is good at evaluating OL.

Is your glass ever half full?

I agree, with the signing of McGlynn, Justice, Satele I was starting to question the teams ability to know what makes a good lineman.  They started to redeem themselves this year with grabbing Gosder and thomas as fa and drafting Huge Thornton.  We will wait another year to see if this year was the fluke or last year was the fluke.

Do you know how much that signing bonus was??

$15K.

That's the max allowed.     That's it.

It's not like the old days when teams would throw huge gobs of money at free agents.   Now, due to the CBA,  the total amount a team can offer ALL  OF IT'S free agents is $75,  with $15k the most to any one player.    So,  it's just not that big a deal anymore.

No offense,  but I think you've made much ado about nothing....      No damage was done to anyone....

A fun discussion about camp fodder. Weeeee!

Last year we picked Olson to actually play in games. :banana:

Now i`m to believe Link is a solid 4 position player when I KNOW he is at Best a very mediocre guard. :headspin:

Lots of misses going on, wohooo!!!!

We are solidly turned around and ready to compete with good teams now. :highfive:

Do you know how much that signing bonus was??

$15K.

That's the max allowed.     That's it.

It's not like the old days when teams would throw huge gobs of money at free agents.   Now, due to the CBA,  the total amount a team can offer ALL  OF IT'S free agents is $75,  with $15k the most to any one player.    So,  it's just not that big a deal anymore.

No offense,  but I think you've made much ado about nothing....      No damage was done to anyone....

Offering Baker and Cleary the max means the coaches think highly of those players. None of the collegiate FA OL have stuck. Just seems our scouting department is weak in the area of grading OTs.

Because another scout could have predicted Cleary gets injured? Things happen. Not like every evaluation is going to pan out.

If the evaluation of Cleary was right then he should have remained on IR instead of getting an injury settlement.

Who would make up this 10% the last 2 years?

I'm talking throughout the entire NFL, and it would take all day to name all those names

But for us over last couple years we have Freeman, Lefeged, Mario Harvey, Justin Hickman, Dominique Jones, Lawrence Guy, Whalen, Palmer etc

I'm talking throughout the entire NFL, and it would take all day to name all those names

But for us over last couple years we have Freeman, Lefeged, Mario Harvey, Justin Hickman, Dominique Jones, Lawrence Guy, Whalen, Palmer etc

I am talking Colts scouts not the entrie NFL. Whalen and Lefeged are the only collegiate UDFAs on this team. Whalen is the only one from this management since Polian brought in Lefeged.

I am talking Colts scouts not the entrie NFL. Whalen and Lefeged are the only collegiate UDFAs on this team. Whalen is the only one from this management since Polian brought in Lefeged.

So wouldn't that mean that this management is doing a pretty good job with their free agent acquisitions and draft picks so we didn't have to use a bunch of UDFA's to fill the rest of the roster?

So wouldn't that mean that this management is doing a pretty good job with their free agent acquisitions and draft picks so we didn't have to use a bunch of UDFA's to fill the rest of the roster?

I never said this management was not doing an overall good job. I love Grigson and the way he and his staff works. I only mentioned that they are having trouble with evaluating the OL and specifically from the collegiate FAs. The original post was about how we paid Cleary and Baker more than any other college FAs the last 2 offseasons and neither stuck though they were highly rated. This post and many others drift off topic and some even get personal but that's ok.

I never said this management was not doing an overall good job. I love Grigson and the way he and his staff works. I only mentioned that they are having trouble with evaluating the OL and specifically from the collegiate FAs. The original post was about how we paid Cleary and Baker more than any other college FAs the last 2 offseasons and neither stuck though they were highly rated. This post and many others drift off topic and some even get personal but that's ok.

but the point is they didn't have any available roster spots to give to those UDFA's because they filled the OL roster spots with guys that were already here, guys they picked up in FA and guys they spent draft picks on.  They brought in guys that were UDFA's that they thought might have the best chance to steal a roster spot away from someone that was already here, but none of them were able to.  

Here is the important question: were there any other UDFA offensive linemen that were available that were better suited for our blocking scheme that WOULD have stolen a roster spot from, say, either Linkenbach or Reitz?   If yes then you may have an argument.  However, since this was your point to prove, if you really want to know then you're gonna have to do the homework. ;)

Colts scouts scout everywhere you can't just discredit their scouting of arena league, CFL, etc. they are still considered UDFAs, if you are talking colts scouts you have to include all of them not just collegiate

I agree, with the signing of McGlynn, Justice, Satele I was starting to question the teams ability to know what makes a good lineman.  They started to redeem themselves this year with grabbing Gosder and thomas as fa and drafting Huge Thornton.  We will wait another year to see if this year was the fluke or last year was the fluke.

To be fair, we just needed bodies to fill the o-line last year......and we had no money to do it. Satele was decently regarded and justice was a value OT. McGlynn was and is terrible, but part of me believes he was signed due to his ability to also play center.

but the point is they didn't have any available roster spots to give to those UDFA's because they filled the OL roster spots with guys that were already here, guys they picked up in FA and guys they spent draft picks on.  They brought in guys that were UDFA's that they thought might have the best chance to steal a roster spot away from someone that was already here, but none of them were able to.  

Here is the important question: were there any other UDFA offensive linemen that were available that were better suited for our blocking scheme that WOULD have stolen a roster spot from, say, either Linkenbach or Reitz?   If yes then you may have an argument.  However, since this was your point to prove, if you really want to know then you're gonna have to do the homework. ;)

I believe the coaches talk with the scouts about who can fit their blocking scheme and I am neither. There were many collegiate FAs to make NFL rosters: Chris Baker, Braxton Cave, RJ Dill,and Jordan Devey to name a few. We did not have any we could keep even on the PS or IR. JMO but Reitz, Link, Satele, and McGlynn look like players who could be replaced.

Colts scouts scout everywhere you can't just discredit their scouting of arena league, CFL, etc. they are still considered UDFAs, if you are talking colts scouts you have to include all of them not just collegiate

I am not discounting their search everywhere for talent. Those other leagues are professional leagues not college. As I said I love the way Grigson and his staff work to find talent but I think they could use help scouting college offensive linemen. No one is perfect.

They are free agents for a reason, Cleary wasn't terrible he got caught in a #'s game. The chance free agents make a team is tough. If Reitz hadn't have shown he could play tackle he may have make it. Hey Ijanana has talent heck he could barely see the field..

I hope Costonzo never has to miss much time because I did not like how Reitz played T.

Offering Baker and Cleary the max means the coaches think highly of those players. None of the collegiate FA OL have stuck. Just seems our scouting department is weak in the area of grading OTs.

Fair enough....   but you're grading guys that are 9th round material...

With the compensatory picks,  there are -- in essence -- 8 rounds of players taken   32 x 8 = 254.  

So, all I'm saying is that these guys have problems.   There's a reason why they weren't drafted by anyone.   And OL are in high demand and yet they weren't taken by a team.   So, it's hit and miss.   We're paying top dollars to take a good long look.   If we don't, then another team will.   And if they hit with another team,  then we'd all be frustrated that we didn't offer the max and we missed out on a talented FA.

Bottom line:   This scouting thing is harder than it looks....     :thmup: