Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can Johnson Make an Impact?

atapcl

Cam Johnson was rated during the combine by Mike Mayock as a top 50 player. He lasted until round 7 because of sickle cell trait. http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/4/29/2986396/49ers-draft-picks-cam-johnson-sickle-cell-trait. This preseason it seemed he was starting to get it on what it takes to play in the NFL after spending most of last season on the SF PS. Anton McGonnell posted an excellent piece on how good NFL offenses average over 70 plays per game. How many plays would Johnson be able to play and still be effective? Would having an oxygen tank for him on the sideline help? Can he play effectively in Denver? Can he become a starter one day and be effective? Blood transfusions have been used to help people with sickle cell disease but Johnson has the trait so I am not sure he would need a blood transfusion before a game. I would love for him to live out his dream but not at the expense of his health.

who knows. he can pan out and be a good player for us or he can be a waste and at the end of the day we lose a 7th round pick

No we don't because we traded Rayford for one. He was projected as a top 50 player. Due to his sickle cell he dropped. But can that condition cause you to be less of a football player? I doubt it.

I'm not worried about him. All this sounds like to me, is that he can play to a high standard but needs time after to regain the energy and cool down a bit. So I doubt he will be a starter, or at least if he is he will be rotated well. Which with Mathis, Werner, Walden and Sidbury (?) he will be. He'll still have the same talent though. 

Tbh he sounds a bit like me when i play sports, really high work rate then need to recharge for a while. Wonder if i have sickle cell trait or am i just unfit haha?

I'm not worried about him. All this sounds like to me, is that he can play to a high standard but needs time after to regain the energy and cool down a bit. So I doubt he will be a starter, or at least if he is he will be rotated well. Which with Mathis, Werner, Walden and Sidbury (?) he will be. He'll still have the same talent though. 

Tbh he sounds a bit like me when i play sports, really high work rate then need to recharge for a while. Wonder if i have sickle cell trait or am i just unfit haha?

sidbury on ir

Cam Johnson was rated during the combine by Mike Mayock as a top 50 player. He lasted until round 7 because of sickle cell trait. http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/4/29/2986396/49ers-draft-picks-cam-johnson-sickle-cell-trait. This preseason it seemed he was starting to get it on what it takes to play in the NFL after spending most of last season on the SF PS. Anton McGonnell posted an excellent piece on how good NFL offenses average over 70 plays per game. How many plays would Johnson be able to play and still be effective? Would having an oxygen tank for him on the sideline help? Can he play effectively in Denver? Can he become a starter one day and be effective? Blood transfusions have been used to help people with sickle cell disease but Johnson has the trait so I am not sure he would need a blood transfusion before a game. I would love for him to live out his dream but not at the expense of his health.

He's not going to be a day one starter, and if we're playing in Denver then we're all pretty happy.  With or without him.

No we don't because we traded Rayford for one. He was projected as a top 50 player. Due to his sickle cell he dropped. But can that condition cause you to be less of a football player? I doubt it.

From 1990 to 2010, 11 high school players with sickle-cell trait died during intense conditioning (as opposed to 62 dying from a brain injury sustained from football during the same time period).

It's something that, like heat-related deaths (there were 38), is easily avoidable if one is aware of the situation and monitors it accordingly. Cam knows how to handle it, and I'd like to think our coaches aren't single-digit IQ knuckleheads that would push players that close to the brink of death.

From 1990 to 2010, 11 high school players with sickle-cell trait died during intense conditioning (as opposed to 62 dying from a brain injury sustained from football during the same time period).

It's something that, like heat-related deaths (there were 38), is easily avoidable if one is aware of the situation and monitors it accordingly. Cam knows how to handle it, and I'd like to think our coaches aren't single-digit IQ knuckleheads that would push players that close to the brink of death.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it inhibited him from playing. Or effected his play.

He stood out in preseason according to PFF

@Colts_Comments: Werner finished 9th among 3-4 outside lbers for 2013 preseason pass rush productivity. Cam Johnson finished 6th and Rayford 14th (by PFF)

Preseason.  I think Jerry Hughes dominated it again this year. 

Preseason productivity is nearly an oxymoron.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it inhibited him from playing. Or effected his play.

No problem. It really shouldn't have too much of a negative effect on Cam's play (we may hold him out when we travel to Denver as a precaution) since everyone's aware of it, but it does help explain his drop on draft day as there is risk there (preventable though it may be). There's three h's to watch out for- high intensity exercise, high altitude, and heat. It shouldn't be surprising, then, that most fatalities and damage (sickling episodes can be non-fatal but still damaging) happen in summer conditioning, and typically among high school and college athletes.

With time to acclimate and Cam knowing and being honest about when enough is enough, it shouldn't be too big of an issue for him or us. He can and should be handled differently in certain situations, and we knew that when we traded for him.

No problem. It really shouldn't have too much of a negative effect on Cam's play (we may hold him out when we travel to Denver as a precaution) since everyone's aware of it, but it does help explain his drop on draft day as there is risk there (preventable though it may be). There's three h's to watch out for- high intensity exercise, high altitude, and heat. It shouldn't be surprising, then, that most fatalities and damage (sickling episodes can be non-fatal but still damaging) happen in summer conditioning, and typically among high school and college athletes.

With time to acclimate and Cam knowing and being honest about when enough is enough, it shouldn't be too big of an issue for him or us. He can and should be handled differently in certain situations, and we knew that when we traded for him.

Best case scenario - Denver comes here... twice.  Then there are no worries.

BTW, thanks for going back to the old avatar.  That last one was disturbing.

all you can go by for Werner and Cam Johnson, Jerry Hughes on the other hand had multiple regular season to be judged

Right, I'm just pointing out that those stats may be meaningless.  Was he playing with the 1s against 1s?  We know there was no game planning, and we don't know if the opposing teams were trying to isolate their players to see how they'd handle it.

It's just not a valid indicator.  It will be interesting to see if he gets any game time Sunday.  I'm so hoping that we build up a big lead to get some of the back ups real game experience.  (But I'll be happy with a win no matter what the score)

Right, I'm just pointing out that those stats may be meaningless. Was he playing with the 1s against 1s? We know there was no game planning, and we don't know if the opposing teams were trying to isolate their players to see how they'd handle it.

It's just not a valid indicator. It will be interesting to see if he gets any game time Sunday. I'm so hoping that we build up a big lead to get some of the back ups real game experience. (But I'll be happy with a win no matter what the score)

Just watched the first half of 49ers vs Chargers game and Cam was going against DJ Fluker and Max Starks the whole 1st half. He was just abusing both but Max Starks especially in the 2nd quarter. I know you can't put too much stock in preseason but that's all I can go on for now, and Fluker and Starks were battling for starting jobs, well Fluker I believe is a starter but Starks was battling King Dunlap for the LT spot.

Yea he was just destroying Starks

I'm the same way. but I'm just out of shape. Kind of funny though, as out of shape and fat as I am, I can still out sprint most of the guys i know that run daily... I just dont have endurance