What in the world happened to this guy?

He was one of my favorite receivers.

2007: 13 games played

37 receptions, 576 yds

3 TDs

2008: 16 games played

57 receptions, 664 yds

4 tds

Those stats may not look like much but they're not bad for a 2nd string WR. His PCL injury has completely derailed his career, now he is invisible and inactive.

Is it time to part ways with the former 1st round pick and draft his replacement?

Here are some draft prospects (I'm sticking to guys who are projected 3rd and later rounds because I don't think The Colts brass will draft a WR in the early rounds)

Marquis "Amazing" Maze, WR/PR, Alabama

Height: 5-10. Weight: 182.

Projected 40 Time: 4.42.

- Quick, shifty player who is electric in the open field

- Decent return man too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjBfKnhq-iE

Mohamed Sanu*, WR, Rutgers

Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.54.

-Makes ridiculous circus catches and is a play maker

- Good route runner

- Is good in the Wildcat offense

Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina

Height: 6-4. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA1G_w2kfj0

Jermaine Kearse, WR, Washington

Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.

Projected 40 Time: 4.50.

I can't imagine why they would have kept him on the active roster if he wasn't still a more capable receiver than the others they had in camp. I liked a couple of them who didn't even make the practice squad.

On top of that Gonzalez spent the off season working with his college conditioning team and stated that he was in his best shape in years.

I have to assume at this point that the secondary injury he had in camp held him back, but that he still will have the opportunity to be a major contributor this season.

What in the world happened to this guy?

He was one of my favorite receivers.

2007: 13 games played

37 receptions, 576 yds

3 TDs

2008: 16 games played

57 receptions, 664 yds

4 tds

Those stats may not look like much but they're not bad for a 2nd string WR. His PCL injury has completely derailed his career, now he is invisible and inactive.

Is it time to part ways with the former 1st round pick and draft his replacement?

Here are some draft prospects (I'm sticking to guys who are projected 3rd and later rounds because I don't think The Colts brass will draft a WR in the early rounds)

Marquis "Amazing" Maze, WR/PR, Alabama

Height: 5-10. Weight: 182.

Projected 40 Time: 4.42.

- Quick, shifty player who is electric in the open field

- Decent return man too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjBfKnhq-iE

Mohamed Sanu*, WR, Rutgers

Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.54.

-Makes ridiculous circus catches and is a play maker

- Good route runner

- Is good in the Wildcat offense

Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina

Height: 6-4. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA1G_w2kfj0

Jermaine Kearse, WR, Washington

Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.

Projected 40 Time: 4.50.

Enough with the quick, shifty guys; I would prefer a big, strong guy that can go up high and * the ball as well as outfight smaller dbs for it.

Enough with the quick, shifty guys; I would prefer a big, strong guy that can go up high and * the ball as well as outfight smaller dbs for it.

That's what I would like too but just look at the draft history of Colts WRs.

All of our receivers are 6'0", quick guys who run good routes. Why we don't draft or sign a big tall WR who can win the jump ball :dunno:

All of our receivers are 6'0", quick guys who run good routes. Why we don't draft or sign a big tall WR who can win the jump ball :dunno:

I've said it for years, give Manning a big fella.

I have no idea why Polian is so prototype driven. I can't hate on Polian because he's given us such a great team for so long. That being said, I hope his boy Chris deviates from Bill's strict body type scope.

Gonzo is done for as a Colt. He has shown nothing that would make us want to re-sign him. If we can bring him back at the same cap hit (I think it's $500 000), then I see no problem. But if he wants any more, we don't need him. I wouldn't mind seeing us re-sign him, have a great season and trade him for draft picks or something. He hasn't shown that he can stay healthy and it's better to use the roster spot on a guy who will be there week in and week out

Unless Collie starts putting up numbers I would say get Gonzo out there over Collie and just see what Gonzo can give you. It's not like if Gonzo doesn't produce that you can't go back to Collie. Gonzo was an explosive player before he had the injuries so why not see if he can be one again.

I've said it for years, give Manning a big fella.

I have no idea why Polian is so prototype driven. I can't hate on Polian because he's given us such a great team for so long. That being said, I hope his boy Chris deviates from Bill's strict body type scope.

I think Chris will. With a good draft position (expecting somewhere 3-6), if we do not come out with either Alshon Jeffery at the bottom of the 1st OR Michael Floyd in the middle of the 1st (if we trade down), I would personally be surprised. Our prototypical slot kind can always be found in later rounds to replace Gonzo (unless Gonzo is retained at a low risk low cost).

I like LaRon Byrd from the University of Miami. He's 6'4" 220lbs., runs a 4.46 40, very athletic, good hands, and we could get him in the 6th or 7th round potentially. Unless we don't get the 1st pick and decide to draft Blackmon or Floyd, I don't think we'll take a WR early. I see us going this direction.

He's likely gone .... Collie & White are both > than Gonzo.... the chamber just hasn't kept him healthy. :(

What are you talking about? Gonzo was drafted to replace Marvin. He can play the slot or he can play outside. He's shifty enough to get open in close and fast enough to go for the home run. And he's smart enough to be completely in tune with Peyton. He was fast becoming one of his go-to guys before he was injured.

Collie - while a wonderful receiver - seems to only be a candidate for the slot. And I don't know about you but I haven't seen him do much of anything this year. Whether that is a result of the concussions or Peyton's absence remains to be seen - but it is disturbing that both Wayne and Garcon seem to be - if anything - elevating their games in Peyton's absence, while Collie has taken a huge step backwards. He may be thinking about the big hit before it happens - who would blame him.

White doesn't even belong in the same sentence with any of the above - for a lot of reasons. He essentially is to Collie what Tamme is to Clark. Nice to have him there as a back-up, but significantly less dynamic than the guy he's backing up (and White is even less dynamic than Tamme).

We have never really been in the position to draft one of the big guys. You got to be pretty high up in the draft to grab someone like Andre Johnson, Megatron, or Larry Fitzgerald. Sadly, we are going to be that high this year so we can look at guys like Ashlon Jefferies or Michael Floyd.

I do not know what is up with Gonzo. He was basically a healthy scratch last week and that is just sad. I am sure he and Donald will both be gone next offseason. Gonzo showed some real promise his first few years, but like Bob he cannot stay healthy to make an impact.

I think Collies numbers being down are a direct result of the QB's. Peyton Manning could quickly go through his reads and find the second and third options at WR. Neither Collins nor Painter do this well. With Collie running in the slot he is typically the 3rd option, and the QB's we've had thus far haven't processed far enough to get to Collie.

It's not like he is dropping balls.... The balls just aren't being thrown his way.