Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For those Colts fans who want a new head coach

BmoreColt

@Chad72- Exactly, typically you would only leave your position for a serious pay raise or a better title, so the thread was almost suggesting if we want a new defensive coordinator, we are going to have to promote him to head coach, which again I am all for!

@Jay305- Yeah Zimmer is a solid option, Ryan wouldn’t necessarily have to retool to a 3-4 defense, but I agree it would be a strong possibility. Loud and boisterous he is, but he really knows how to work a defense.

@Jason- Of all of your suggestions I like Greg Williams the best, he certainly has reworked the Saints defense to be much more respectable, as they use the 4-3, it would just require the Colts to be more aggressive in their blitzing and slight schematic changes. LeBeau would probably not leave Pittsburgh, Monte Kiffin, I am not sure what he would do. I really like Dom Capers of Green Bay, I only fear like with Rob Ryan, it would require the shift to a 3-4, which could be possible, it would require trade downs to acquire more picks, and trading away players who may not fit a 3-4 i.e. Freeney/ Mathis. So chances are it would be a guy who could use a 4-3 of some sort, maybe the 4-3 Under which is a hybrid version of the 3-4.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Chad72- Exactly, typically you would only leave your position for a serious pay raise or a better title, so the thread was almost suggesting if we want a new defensive coordinator, we are going to have to promote him to head coach, which again I am all for!

@Jay305- Yeah Zimmer is a solid option, Ryan wouldn’t necessarily have to retool to a 3-4 defense, but I agree it would be a strong possibility. Loud and boisterous he is, but he really knows how to work a defense.

@Jason- Of all of your suggestions I like Greg Williams the best, he certainly has reworked the Saints defense to be much more respectable, as they use the 4-3, it would just require the Colts to be more aggressive in their blitzing and slight schematic changes. LeBeau would probably not leave Pittsburgh, Monte Kiffin, I am not sure what he would do. I really like Dom Capers of Green Bay, I only fear like with Rob Ryan, it would require the shift to a 3-4, which could be possible, it would require trade downs to acquire more picks, and trading away players who may not fit a 3-4 i.e. Freeney/ Mathis. So chances are it would be a guy who could use a 4-3 of some sort, maybe the 4-3 Under which is a hybrid version of the 3-4.

the only concern I had about Gregg Williams is that he was previously head coach of Buffalo and in what I read, it said he was "notorious" for his conservative decisions, especially on offense. However his play calling in NO has been anything but conservative so maybe he's either changed with experience or maybe someone else was making the decisions on the offensive side of the ball at the time. It was also his first HC job from what I could tell and that could also lead someone to be more conservative...don't rock the boat so you don't lose your job.

If some people get their way and Jeff Fisher is brought in then I wouldn't be surprised to see Jim Washburn come to. Washburn was DL coach with Tenn through most of Fisher's years there and left Tenn when Fisher did. Granted he's under contract for 3 years with Philly but there are always ways around that.

Its said Caldwell won't be canned because he has the best excuse in Manning, but to me that's all the more reason to can him. Even without Manning the Colts have serious talent. Caldwell is simply not coaching nor is Clyde or Coyer.. period. Manning is not all to blame on this loosing season. Poor coaching and decisions have burned this colts team. A good coach could make correct adjustments and win.

i have heard from a reliable source that other teams are trying to steal caldwell from us

Jim Tressel will be coming in to be the Replay Coach after week five. If things don't go well with Caldwell, expect to see him as the Colts next Head Coach.

Tressel's coaching record at Ohio State and Youngstown State was impressive. He is a smart, talented, winning coach. It's too bad his collegiate career ended on such a sour note. The worst crime he was guilty of was lying to cover up his players' NCAA-rules violations in a misguided and futile effort to protect them. His loyalty to his players led him astray. No excuses, though, he chose to lie and cover up, which led to his downfall.

I believe in giving people a second chance, so I applaud the Colts for hiring him in whatever capacity. His coaching talent and proven record of building winning teams should not be wasted. He has no previous NFL experience, so it's a long shot for Irsay to offer him Head Coach right away -- though not implausible. However, considering the "Tresselball" philosophy of winning through a strong defense and good field position, I wouldn't mind it if he becomes our new DL / DB / LB / ST coach, maybe even DC.

I WANT TO START BY SAYING IM NOT A CALDWELL FAN BUT.......I think hes has done a descent job thus far with the situations hes been put in. Yes he walked into a team with great talent, and yes he has made some bone headed decisions, but its the coaches job to prepare the players. Everyone wants to down Caldwell and blame him when things go wrong but when things go right i.e. superbowl appearance vs saints no one gives him any credit.

Now the problems to me seems to be the devensive playcalling and offensive mindset. This much i will blame on Caldwell. He should be drilling into Clydes head...run run run and minimal passing. No more than 25 passes a game to protect Painter and a young inexperienced O-line whos strength is running. A great example of in game adjustments i dont know if you ever watch bears games, Lovie Smith constantly goes over to OC Mike Martz and literally makes him call running plays when Mike getz pass happy, Caldwell should do a tad bit more of that. And defensively, I dont care how many injuries you have. Passive cover 2 and lack of aggressiveness will kill any chances of getting a win or 2. I.E Bucs game. Once these problems are addressed we should be able to win some games.

Now that being said i wouldnt be mad if he was replaced because imo the coordinators hes brought in dont make good in game adjustments and make life more complicated than it should be

He should be drilling into Clydes head...run run run and minimal passing. No more than 25 passes a game to protect Painter and a young inexperienced O-line whos strength is running.

Can't do. Teams are going to blitz and crowd the line of scrimmage till Painter can show reliably that he can get his completion pct. up when teams send more than 4 rushers. There won't be any room to run. It is not like we have a Chris Johnson that they have to be afraid of if he gets past the line of scrimmage once or twice. Passing is still our best way to open up our rushing game with Painter as QB. Manning, however, they would rather play coverage since he will beat the blitzes more times than not. But with a new QB, the kitchen sink will be thrown at more often than not.

You just have to call plays based on how the D is playing us. Can't go with one set formula.

On D, however, some risks have to be taken, and see if our talent can make it work. It is one thing to try enough and fail consistently, it is another to not even try enough times. The risks are mainly necessary because we cannot rely on our offense to put up close to 24 points or more consistently in this high flying passing league, so we have to explore ways to manufacture turnovers to give favorable field position for the O to get ahead on the scoreboard consistently.

Can't do. Teams are going to blitz and crowd the line of scrimmage till Painter can show reliably that he can get his completion pct. up when teams send more than 4 rushers. There won't be any room to run. It is not like we have a Chris Johnson that they have to be afraid of if he gets past the line of scrimmage once or twice. Passing is still our best way to open up our rushing game with Painter as QB. Manning, however, they would rather play coverage since he will beat the blitzes more times than not. But with a new QB, the kitchen sink will be thrown at more often than not.

You just have to call plays based on how the D is playing us. Can't go with one set formula.

On D, however, some risks have to be taken, and see if our talent can make it work. It is one thing to try enough and fail consistently, it is another to not even try enough times. The risks are mainly necessary because we cannot rely on our offense to put up close to 24 points or more consistently in this high flying passing league, so we have to explore ways to manufacture turnovers to give favorable field position for the O to get ahead on the scoreboard consistently.

I hear what your saying but not running on early downs puts us in terrible situations due to Painters lack of converting on 3rd and 8+. So imo running early and often will help. Look at the rushing attempts and yds per game , i posted yestarday

I hear what your saying but not running on early downs puts us in terrible situations due to Painters lack of converting on 3rd and 8+. So imo running early and often will help. Look at the rushing attempts and yds per game , i posted yestarday

Yeah, I agree on early downs unless they crowd the LOS on early downs as well :).

Yeah, I agree on early downs unless they crowd the LOS on early downs as well :).

in which case you start using screens, short slants etc to loosen up the defense. If you can't get the ball to Addai in the running game then I'd like to see a few more screens run his way.

I believe you also have to look at it one of two ways. Healthy Manning and Retired Manning.

That brings two entirely different scenarios to the table.

With a healthy Manning, the offense will primarily be the same. I'm sure if a coach like Gruden, Billick(using names thrown out in this thread) will add a few wrinkles that will make it less predictable, and even more dangerous.

Without Manning, the all bets are off, and it will depend on the draft pick moving forward. A new coach at that point would likely be given the ability to install the WCO if he sees fit as Gruden would likely do since that is what he's worked in/with in the past.

If the defensive coach like Rob Ryan, or Capers, eventually, they would likely shift to a 3-4, but that would take some time, and I'm not sure it would be a bad thing. They know enough defense that they could put our talent to better use than Coyer has.

I could see Fisher coming in and keeping the offense pretty much as is and keeping a 4-3 defense while adding variances to it.

It will be interesting, and I just hope Irsay & Polian can admit how big of a mistake they have made.

Jim Tressel will be coming in to be the Replay Coach after week five. If things don't go well with Caldwell, expect to see him as the Colts next Head Coach.

If things don't go well? Colts can go 0-16 this season and Caldwell isn't going anywere...

If things don't go well? Colts can go 0-16 this season and Caldwell isn't going anywere...

We will see about that. Polians will not fall on the sword for 0-16 and Irsay will need answers. Can't justify 0-16 in anybody's book with the talent we are paying for, at least that is what Irsay will feel as a businessman. If it hurts the bottomline, Irsay will make the change.

Answering to the OP -- I would like to get a good O coordinator like a Bryan Harsin or Gus Malzahn, or even a Bobby Petrino. I would really like to have Bobby Petrino. All better OCs than Clyde and Bobby is probably a better coach than Jim Caldwell.

Answering to the OP -- I would like to get a good O coordinator like a Bryan Harsin or Gus Malzahn, or even a Bobby Petrino. I would really like to have Bobby Petrino. All better OCs than Clyde and Bobby is probably a better coach than Jim Caldwell.

Petrino was a miserable, quitting failure as a NFL Head Coach. There is no way he is leaving Arkansas to be an NFL offensive coordinator and no way the NFL would want him back. The other two are spread offensive coordinators so I don't see why they would have appeal to NFL offenses.

Brian Billick, Cower Power!, and Singletary respectively is who I would want.

What has Singletary done to suggest he would be a good replacement for Caldwell? He was an abject failure with San Fran. He has coached his last game as a NFL HC.

We will see about that. Polians will not fall on the sword for 0-16 and Irsay will need answers. Can't justify 0-16 in anybody's book with the talent we are paying for, at least that is what Irsay will feel as a businessman. If it hurts the bottomline, Irsay will make the change.

The answer is simple...We played without Peyton. No other answer will be needed. Now I will agree I can seem some coaches being replaced, but no chance do I see them letting Caldwell go after this season no matter what the record.

What has Singletary done to suggest he would be a good replacement for Caldwell? He was an abject failure with San Fran. He has coached his last game as a NFL HC.

Singletary failed in San Fran. Jim Caldwell would have failed in San Fran. Mike Singletary would win with Peyton Manning. Jim Caldwell has a winning record with Peyton Manning.

That's part of the point. Not many if anyone is going to fail with Manning at qb guiding this team.

We would still be struggling with nearly any coach, but we would be doing even better with a quality coach when 18 is back. He wouldn't have to cover up Caldwell's coaching errors on top of trying to beat the opponent.

Petrino was a miserable, quitting failure as a NFL Head Coach. There is no way he is leaving Arkansas to be an NFL offensive coordinator and no way the NFL would want him back. The other two are spread offensive coordinators so I don't see why they would have appeal to NFL offenses.

But the Colts run a spread offense...

Andy I would like to congratulate you. You've provided a name who I would actually prefer to have Jim Caldwell over and that is Bobby Petrino.

The way he quit on the Falcons he wouldn't be hired to dish out water at the NFL level.

We don't run a college spread offence. What we do and what Arkansas & what they ran at Florida pre-Weis does not compare to what the Colts, or Patriots or any other pro team that spreads the field out in NFL at all.

Agreed, I would hire the jockstrap washer to coach the team before Petrino.

But the Colts run a spread offense...

No they don't - not even close. Obviously you don't know what the spread offense is. It is what Tebow ran at Florida. What Oregon runs now. The QB is always in the shotgun and virtually never under center.

I am very curious why in theory Caldwell could potentially keep his job if the Colts go 0-16. I understand not having Manning is detrimental to the Colts and most of us admitted to it and probably all of us knew it but didn’t want to acknowledge it. But if you go 0-16 someone needs to answer for not being able to make proper adjustments and win any games. I don’t understand why Caldwell might get a free pass? Caldwell can’t ride on Peyton’s coat tails any longer!

because coaches sometimes survive an 0-16 season...sometimes.....

there's more circumstances that go into that decision other than just the record. I'm sure Polian will supply the PM excuse;) thats one free pass right there.

I am very curious why in theory Caldwell could potentially keep his job if the Colts go 0-16. I understand not having Manning is detrimental to the Colts and most of us admitted to it and probably all of us knew it but didn’t want to acknowledge it. But if you go 0-16 someone needs to answer for not being able to make proper adjustments and win any games. I don’t understand why Caldwell might get a free pass? Caldwell can’t ride on Peyton’s coat tails any longer!

Agreed!

I would like to see the colts bring in Perry Fewell DC of th NY Giants. He did a good job as interm coach with Buffalo and had the backing of the players to remain on as head coach but Buffalo went in a different direction. He is a bright young coach who relates well to the players and would bring new ideas and breath new life into the organization. It's just a matter of time before some team gives him a chance as a head coach and I hope this team is the COLTS. i must admit I'am a little biased because I have known Perry my intire life, but people inside thr NFL know what a bright future he has as a coach and I hope the COLTS are the team that give him his chance.

I WANT TO START BY SAYING IM NOT A CALDWELL FAN BUT.......I think hes has done a descent job thus far with the situations hes been put in. Yes he walked into a team with great talent, and yes he has made some bone headed decisions, but its the coaches job to prepare the players. Everyone wants to down Caldwell and blame him when things go wrong but when things go right i.e. superbowl appearance vs saints no one gives him any credit.

Now the problems to me seems to be the devensive playcalling and offensive mindset. This much i will blame on Caldwell. He should be drilling into Clydes head...run run run and minimal passing. No more than 25 passes a game to protect Painter and a young inexperienced O-line whos strength is running. A great example of in game adjustments i dont know if you ever watch bears games, Lovie Smith constantly goes over to OC Mike Martz and literally makes him call running plays when Mike getz pass happy, Caldwell should do a tad bit more of that. And defensively, I dont care how many injuries you have. Passive cover 2 and lack of aggressiveness will kill any chances of getting a win or 2. I.E Bucs game. Once these problems are addressed we should be able to win some games.

Now that being said i wouldnt be mad if he was replaced because imo the coordinators hes brought in dont make good in game adjustments and make life more complicated than it should be

if we fire caldwell we wont get the first pick in the draft

I believe you also have to look at it one of two ways. Healthy Manning and Retired Manning.

That brings two entirely different scenarios to the table.

With a healthy Manning, the offense will primarily be the same. I'm sure if a coach like Gruden, Billick(using names thrown out in this thread) will add a few wrinkles that will make it less predictable, and even more dangerous.

Without Manning, the all bets are off, and it will depend on the draft pick moving forward. A new coach at that point would likely be given the ability to install the WCO if he sees fit as Gruden would likely do since that is what he's worked in/with in the past.

If the defensive coach like Rob Ryan, or Capers, eventually, they would likely shift to a 3-4, but that would take some time, and I'm not sure it would be a bad thing. They know enough defense that they could put our talent to better use than Coyer has.

I could see Fisher coming in and keeping the offense pretty much as is and keeping a 4-3 defense while adding variances to it.

It will be interesting, and I just hope Irsay & Polian can admit how big of a mistake they have made.

Not sold on Gruden as a head coach but he'd make one heck of an offensive coordinator. This offense is going stagnant even with Manning. We need to spruce it up a bit and keep things fresh.

I wouldn't mind Fisher as a head coach. He knows the division and always has his teams well prepared. I trust his defensive knowledge to improve our defense.

But Caldwell likely isn't going anywhere anytime soon...so I am pipe dreaming.

@ TheJACKCOLT- Perry Fewell did a better job with his interim time than Dick Jauron did coaching the team. Players gravitate towards younger coaches and players coaches. That’s why Bill Parcell isn’t coaching anywhere anymore. I am not sure about Perry as the head coach, but the Giants have a similar defensive front and personnel as the Colts, so I could surely see him here as the defensive coordinator. Although they seem to have better interior players at Tackle, not to mention a large variety of pass rushers off the edge, Tuck, Umenyiora, Pierre-Paul, and Kiwanuka.

@Coltfaninnewyork- I could see Rob Ryan here for sure, Cleveland had a very respectable defense with him in charge, they had Brady and Brees number last year beating both of them. My only concern with Ryan is would he be able to stick with our 4-3 base or would he require the switch to the 3-4?

@Collie17- I think Jim also walked into a situation that favored his coaching style with the personnel on the team, not to say that he isn’t a good coach, just a really good fit. He wants to by physical and pound the ball down teams throats, which is exactly how they should play with a tough strong runner in Gore, and a mediocre quarterback at best in Smith. But being a former quarterback, Jim knows how to coach up Alex Smith so that he can manage the game, that team could be 4-0 if they didn’t have that meltdown late in the game against the Cowboys. He also likes tough physical defense, which fits that team to a “T.” Had the Colts pursued and acquired him, which would be a good situation with Manning out, running the football and being more physical on defense, would create the physical identity this Colts team has never had! That physical style would complement the finesse on offense and rushing the passer beautifully, now a day, you have to bring both finesse and a physical play on the field, that’s what the Packers did last year how did it work for them?

Wasn't Tony Dungy a defensive mastermind? We still only won the one ring. I think too much blame is being placed on the coaches and not enough on the players. The only thing an 0-4 start tells me is that the other 52 players we have aren't good enough to beat Cleveland, Tampa Bay or Houston. But none of us are surprised by that right? We've been watching the talent surrounding Peyton for 13 years. We've always said we can't run the ball, stop the run, stop the pass, make the field goal, make the tackle...but we don't complain about it because we've watched Peyton win anyway. We only yell after learning how we blew it in the playoffs (long kickoff return last year, onside kick the year before, missed Vanderjagt field goals).

Remember, the Patriots were 10-5 without Brady. The Steelers were 3-1 last year without Big Ben. Those teams' other 52 have always been better than our 52. Dungy ranks right up there with Tomlin and Belichick. The other 52 is why they have more rings.

We should have went after Jim Harbaugh this offseason. That guy can coach and he knows how to win. Once he gets him team together in SF, that team will be back to the status they had with Rice and Young.

We didn't have an opening this off-season had no reason to have one, the guy we have was coming off taking us to a Super Bowl and back to the playoffs with an injury riddled team the following year. The owner and GM both thought he had done a great job to get the playoffs last year. Despite what fans think his job was never on the line and I really doubt will be on the line this year because the team is playing hard for him which tells me they are still listeing to him and they are missing the guy the team is built around not to mention everyone else who is hurt. Irsay and Polian are going to take that into account.

With that said I agree with your view on Harbaugh the dude can coach and I hope he does take the 49ers back to high levels not so much because I like the 49ers but because Jim Harbaugh is still my all-time favorite Colt (sorry Peyton).

Wasn't Tony Dungy a defensive mastermind? We still only won the one ring. I think too much blame is being placed on the coaches and not enough on the players. The only thing an 0-4 start tells me is that the other 52 players we have aren't good enough to beat Cleveland, Tampa Bay or Houston. But none of us are surprised by that right? We've been watching the talent surrounding Peyton for 13 years. We've always said we can't run the ball, stop the run, stop the pass, make the field goal, make the tackle...but we don't complain about it because we've watched Peyton win anyway. We only yell after learning how we blew it in the playoffs (long kickoff return last year, onside kick the year before, missed Vanderjagt field goals).

Remember, the Patriots were 10-5 without Brady. The Steelers were 3-1 last year without Big Ben. Those teams' other 52 have always been better than our 52. Dungy ranks right up there with Tomlin and Belichick. The other 52 is why they have more rings.

Agreed that's why I've never understood the arguement of it's all Caldwell's fault when we lose and it's all because of Peyton when win and now this year, Peyton gets hurt and we lose and it's stll Caldwell's fault. If Peyton is viewed to be the only reason we win what on earth did you think was going to happen without him? Now people are tripping over themselves to put the blame on Caldwell for it... Unless Caldwell did something to Peyton's neck it's not really his fault. I think frankly a lot of fans (myself included) got our expetations up too high for this season and tricked ourselves into thinking we could really over come not having Peyton Manning. The experts have said for years that without Peyton Manning this a bad football team and even gave him two MVP awards because of how much he ment to the team and they are being proven right. Heck all we had to do was look back to the start of the 08 season and see how much we struggled WITH a dinged up Peyton to see how much a healthy him ment to our team. Still we choose to ignore all that and thought we would be fine. I think what is being exposed is that the team has been built around Peyton Manning and he's the one guy on the roster this team can't win without which is what people have said for years.

I'll say this though the other teams you listed aren't built the same way the Colts are. The Pats at the time Brady went down were built more around their o-line and their defense which is why they were able to asborb Brady going down. With that Said Pats fans are quick to point out they did go from being 16-0 to 11-5 without Brady so that was a five game swing. The Steelers are a running team that happens to have a really good QB. I am not sure there is another team in the NFL that is set up to do better without their good QB than the Steelers. I think if you saw the Saints lose Brees, the Chargers lose Rivers, the Packers Rodgers, or even the new Pats lose Brady they would be very much in the same boat the Colts are in right now. They would go for a Super Bowl contender to a really bad team that might be able to play other teams close but probably lose most weeks like the Colts are doing. That's the price that comes with having a super star QB it's why they get paid 1 fifth of the sallary cap. They are woth it to your team and if he goes down and he's who your team is built around you are in trouble.

We should have went after Jim Harbaugh this offseason. That guy can coach and he knows how to win. Once he gets him team together in SF, that team will be back to the status they had with Rice and Young.

Not unless they draft players the quality of Rice and Young.