Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For those Colts fans who want a new head coach

BmoreColt

For those Colts fans (Including myself) who want a new head coach or a new defensive coordinator. Bringing in a new defensive coordinator, who has the resume and proven credentials, is probably unrealistic, unless he is going to be the new head coach. I am all for this, Peyton can run the offense and the new head coach being a former defensive coordinator obviously has the defense and game management components. Now with that said, the two defensive coordinators that come to my mind are Mike Zimmer and Rob Ryan. Both would not leave their current positions just to come be the defensive coordinator of the Colts; however for the lure of the title of Head Coach and the opportunity it would present for just fixing the defense and having a playoff team every year in the Manning era, they would both probably be chomping at the bit for such an opportunity! Both are very qualified and all I have to say is look at both the defenses, both are serious, even the Bengals!

Pros: Rob is more of a mastermind and would bring in exotic looks as well as some attitude and swagger to this Colts Defense.

Cons: Because of his exotic looks, there would need to be personnel adjustments and a new system implemented.

Pros: Mike runs a 4-3 in Cincy so there wouldn’t have to be a whole lot of a system change, he also isn’t outspoken and garish, but demands hard work and discipline.

Cons: It would take getting used to his style of coaching, being a disciplinarian who demands the respect and hard work of his players.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think every colts fan should read this and watch Haley... ppl have been screaming for a coach to show more emotion and let the players know when they have made a mistake and all... players dont need that they are grown men, they know what needs to be done.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822d93e1/article/haleys-sideline-antics-wearing-thin-in-kansas-city?module=HP11_content_stream

I would like the head coach calling plays on D from the sidelines, that might help our D, IMO, a Steve Spagnuolos kind. I like what Chuck Pagano, current DC of the Ravens has done out there. He has defensive backs experience, just like Mike Tomlin and I would not mind if the Colts gave a chance, just like the Steelers did with Mike Tomlin, to a guy like him:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Chuck_Pagano

I think he will fit in fine with our organization, with Irsay, Manning, and the Polians. Just my two cents.

For those Colts fans (Including myself) who want a new head coach or a new defensive coordinator. Bringing in a new defensive coordinator, who has the resume and proven credentials, is probably unrealistic, unless he is going to be the new head coach. I am all for this, Peyton can run the offense and the new head coach being a former defensive coordinator obviously has the defense and game management components. Now with that said, the two defensive coordinators that come to my mind are Mike Zimmer and Rob Ryan. Both would not leave their current positions just to come be the defensive coordinator of the Colts; however for the lure of the title of Head Coach and the opportunity it would present for just fixing the defense and having a playoff team every year in the Manning era, they would both probably be chomping at the bit for such an opportunity! Both are very qualified and all I have to say is look at both the defenses, both are serious, even the Bengals!

Pros: Rob is more of a mastermind and would bring in exotic looks as well as some attitude and swagger to this Colts Defense.

Cons: Because of his exotic looks, there would need to be personnel adjustments and a new system implemented.

Pros: Mike runs a 4-3 in Cincy so there wouldn’t have to be a whole lot of a system change, he also isn’t outspoken and garish, but demands hard work and discipline.

Cons: It would take getting used to his style of coaching, being a disciplinarian who demands the respect and hard work of his players.

Sorry but neither of these guys excite me much. Rob Ryan is a clown who does not fit the Colts way. Ryan is a loudmouth baffoon just like his brother. I'm sure that will go over well with Peyton. Zimmer is ok but seriously? Zimmer is the best candidate available? I don't think so.

The Colts are a veteren team. IF Caldwell gets canned, it would make sense to bring in a veteren head coach who can get results fast. And if that is the case there are any number of proven head coaches available and more than willing to coach Peyton Manning for his last four years or so.

Sorry, CC has no clue when it comes to X & O'S. I want a head coach that knows football period. CC does not know how to make any kind of adjustment whatsoever. I bet 75% of the fans on this board alone were screaming at the T.V to do this or that & they were correct... That no challenge on the fumble was THE final straw IMO & how about the 4th down call where he elected to take the penalty??? DUMB. NO football knowledge I'm telling you. Another example, everyone knows the Bucs dink & dunk but somehow were playing 15 yds of LOS & getting burned. STUPID! I would like to know the Bucs QB % percentage for completions beyond 10yds??? Force him into something he simply cannot excell at instead of PLAYING right into his strengths! I can handle losing if we just simply are not the better team but playing this stupid ball is ticking me off...

we ned a new head coach 4 sure. he is too soft. he makes bad decisions. like punting the ball on 4th and short with 3mins left down by 7. the bucs were running the ball at will. he looks lost when hes on the sideline. hes a good asst coach i guess.

Why would any coach be "chomping at the bit" to come work for this "terrible" Polian family?

Aren't they arrogant? Too prideful to hand over the necessary power to a coach? Don't they only play with coaches who do everything they say?

Furthermore, why would they want Manning in his last years? Wouldn't they rather start fresh with a brand new crew that they can grow through the draft and develop into a long-lasting powerhouse?

I don't mean to sound like a turd, but this is the stuff all of you are saying in other threads. You contradict yourselves with suggestions like these.

Brian Billick would be at the top of my head coach list. As for DC, maybe if we offer him a raise we could get Rod Marinelli. Yes he is the guy who was HC during the 0-16 Detroit season but he's also been the DC for Chicago, who runs a very similar defense yet he is much better at playcallilng and doesn't play soft zone for an entire game. Another option is to look at the position coaches for teams like Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit and Tampa Bay and see if we could find someone who might be qualified to be moved up to DC. Yes this is a bit more of a risk but would not require a complete overhaul of player personnel. I don't think we need an entirely new scheme...we simply need to switch more to a standard cover 2 with variations in coverage and drop the tampa 2 coverage.

Another option is to look at the position coaches for teams like Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit and Tampa Bay and see if we could find someone who might be qualified to be moved up to DC.

Rod Marinelli is a good coach, he is defensive line coach out there in Chicago, not DC, if I remember right. Lovie Smith is the one doing the defensive coaching, I think.

Larry Coyer was defensive line coach in Tampa before he became DC here. I would rather go after an existing DC for a head coach like Chuck Pagano (Ravens' DC). I really do not think we need a big name, just a qualified defensive minded coach with defensive backs experience. Ravens' DCs have gone on to have decent careers as head coaches - Marvin Lewis and Rex Ryan are of course at the top of the list of former Ravens' DCs that I can remember.

Rod Marinelli is a good coach, he is defensive line coach out there in Chicago, not DC, if I remember right. Lovie Smith is the one doing the defensive coaching, I think.

Larry Coyer was defensive line coach in Tampa before he became DC here. I would rather go after an existing DC for a head coach like Chuck Pagano (Ravens' DC). I really do not think we need a big name, just a qualified defensive minded coach with defensive backs experience. Ravens' DCs have gone on to have decent careers as head coaches - Marvin Lewis and Rex Ryan are of course at the top of the list of former Ravens' DCs that I can remember.

Just checked the Bear's official website and Marinelli is listed as DC and Asst. HC. The problem with anyone from the Ravens would be how much in love are they with the 3-4. If we bring someone in who wants to change schemes then we're set back even further. Not saying it's not something to consider if they'd be willing to adapt to the 4-3.

Just checked the Bear's official website and Marinelli is listed as DC and Asst. HC. The problem with anyone from the Ravens would be how much in love are they with the 3-4. If we bring someone in who wants to change schemes then we're set back even further. Not saying it's not something to consider if they'd be willing to adapt to the 4-3.

Marvin Lewis is a head coach of a 4-3 team, and he came from the Ravens. Don't tell me he knows to coach just a 3-4 or 4-3, these coaches have been around the block a bit. If the coach has coached 4-3 for enough years at some point in his career, chances are his resume is versatile.

Marvin Lewis is a head coach of a 4-3 team, and he came from the Ravens. Don't tell me he knows to coach just a 3-4 or 4-3, these coaches have been around the block a bit. If the coach has coached 4-3 for enough years at some point in his career, chances are his resume is versatile.

Umm...I didn't tell you that at all. Re-read my post, I said it's something to consider. :P

Why would any coach be "chomping at the bit" to come work for this "terrible" Polian family?

Aren't they arrogant? Too prideful to hand over the necessary power to a coach? Don't they only play with coaches who do everything they say?

Furthermore, why would they want Manning in his last years? Wouldn't they rather start fresh with a brand new crew that they can grow through the draft and develop into a long-lasting powerhouse?

I don't mean to sound like a turd, but this is the stuff all of you are saying in other threads. You contradict yourselves with suggestions like these.

Really, this screams Jeff Fisher.

He's got a great relationship with Polian after years together on the Competition Committee. He's worked a team through salary cap heck with high-end salaries. He'll have an opportunity to work with veteran players. I don't think getting to start off a HC position with a Peyton Manning would be viewed as a bad thing.

It's a moot point, I can't see Caldwell being canned; he's got a built in excuse for this year. (I also think people are VASTLY overrating the impact a HC has on offensive/defensive schemes and preparation).

@Chad72- I live in Baltimore, hence Bmore(Colt) and I get to watch the Ravens D every week. Their Achilles heal ironically is their secondary as well (personnel related), but Pagano is aggressive and has done great things for the Ravens D, it helps to have an amazing defensive front against the run, and a really good line backing core! If he wouldn’t have to make drastic changes in Indy, it could work!

@OJI- That’s a pretty strong opinion about the Ryan brothers, I understand its not traditionally what the Colts have done, but the proof is in the pudding with both guys, Rob is doing a fantastic job with that Dallas defense, and before he was there on “America’s team” he was out of the media fish bowl, so maybe his attitude and garish ways could bring some intensity and swagger to the Colts!

@Doogansquest- I know people contradict themselves, but I am most definitely not one of them, my opinions about this subject have never changed, although you were probably speaking in a more general tone.

@Jason- I can’t stand Billick, I thought he was over rated when I watched him here in Baltimore. The guy was deemed the offensive guru when he was the OC in Minnesota with Moss, Carter, and Culpepper, while the Ravens never had a top offense with him under the helm. Although he does have a high football IQ, for him to be the head coach for me it would depend on the personnel he would bring in, mainly what defensive coordinator!

@Jason- I can’t stand Billick, I thought he was over rated when I watched him here in Baltimore. The guy was deemed the offensive guru when he was the OC in Minnesota with Moss, Carter, and Culpepper, while the Ravens never had a top offense with him under the helm. Although he does have a high football IQ, for him to be the head coach for me it would depend on the personnel he would bring in, mainly what defensive coordinator!

One minor correction, Billick took over as HC of Baltimore the year Culpepper was drafted and Culpepper had NOTHING to do with the offensive success of Minn. (sorry, little rant there...I never could stand Culpepper).

I can certainly understand not everyone is going to be a fan and that's fine. Here are some of the reasons though that he's so high up on my list: :)

Billick was the same OC who had offensive success with Jim McMahon as QB (no it wasn't a high powered offense like the '98 year but the offense wasn't inept either) and then he took Warren Moon, who many assumed would fail in anything other than a run and shoot offense, and still had one of the best offenses at that time. But even in all that Billick maintained a level of balance on the offense and always made sure there was an effective running game as well. That's one thing I think he would bring to the Colts. There's been all this talk about modfiying the colt offensive game plan with Manning out but really, how much has it changed? They're still passing more than they're running and I never thought that would happen with Collins or Painter in the game.

As for Billick in Baltimore, they did win a SB with Dilfer at QB. The thing that impressed me was that he was still able to maintain some offensive consistency with a power running game which is a far cry from the high powered passing attacks in Minnesota. Point being he is versatile and coaches to the strength of the personnel around him instead of trying to force the team to adjust to the type of scheme he wants to run. I also think the biggest reason Billick didn't have any more offensive success than he did was the lack of any quality at QB. I thought it sucked for him that Flacco was drafted the year Billick was fired.

A HC also has to be willing to make the tough choices that are in the best interest of the team and one of the best examples in general I can think of of a coach doing this was when Billick had to make the decision to fire Jim Fassel, Billick's close friend, because it was in the best interest of the team. I think this might be the ultimate undoing of Caldwell if he's not able to step in and make Coyer do something about the continuing struggles of our defense in coverage. Yeah the defense is the responsibility to some degree of the DC but if the HC sees something isn't working then he has to either make the DC make adjustments or fire and replace the DC if necessary. Is Caldwell going to be willing and/or able to do that?

Like you said he also has a very high football IQ which is something that could very well be what's lacking in our current coaching staff. Here's a quote from an excerpt of an interview with Billick when he was asked if he was contacted about Dallas' HC position the year that Jason Garrett took over as interim coach, link...http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/11/brian-billick-would-be-interes.html

"Jason Garrett's an excellent coach, he's a good man. I like Jason Garrett. Whether his personality and style, and he's going to have to learn on the run, there's no question he's a good football man, but now when you step in you have to make those decisions, separate yourself from being the offensive coordinator. Not only coaching the players but you got to coach your coaches. They all talk about culture change there, well that doesn't just happen. That doesn't just happen by putting pads on any given practice or giving a good pre-game locker room speech.

As for the personnel he would bring in..yeah that's one of the most critical things for any new HC if there is going to be one.

I can’t stand Billick, I thought he was over rated when I watched him here in Baltimore. The guy was deemed the offensive guru when he was the OC in Minnesota with Moss, Carter, and Culpepper, while the Ravens never had a top offense with him under the helm. Although he does have a high football IQ, for him to be the head coach for me it would depend on the personnel he would bring in, mainly what defensive coordinator!

Couldn't agree with you more on Billick. I always thought the same thing, he was considered an offensive genius but Baltimore had one of the worst offenses in the league while he was there. Also, if he was still considered such a great coach why hasn't the man gotten so much as an interview in the last 4 yrs.? If(and thats a huge if) the Colts decided to fire Caldwell, I would much rather have a defensive guy at the helm instead of an offensive guy.

Couldn't agree with you more on Billick. I always thought the same thing, he was considered an offensive genius but Baltimore had one of the worst offenses in the league while he was there. Also, if he was still considered such a great coach why hasn't the man gotten so much as an interview in the last 4 yrs.? If(and thats a huge if) the Colts decided to fire Caldwell, I would much rather have a defensive guy at the helm instead of an offensive guy.

How do you know he hasn't had offers for interviews but turned them down because he didn't feel the fit was right? That logic could also be used towards Gruden or Cowher, who many people have also been calling for (not necessarily you but a lot of people). Like I said, imo, the lack of offensive success was due to lack of a remotely talented QB. Billick did win a SB with Trent Dilfer as the QB so that shows that Billick had success when he was able to get even a game-manager type QB in there.

@Jason- Yeah people were shocked here when he fired his close friend Fossil, who was the Giants HC against the Ravens in the Super Bowl! No doubt Billick has a very high football IQ and I would prefer him to Caldwell, when he is on the NFL Network with Jim Mora it looks like they both wanted back on the sidelines!

@Blazer40- I am with you on a defensive guy here, or at least a really talented and proven defensive coordinator brought in. Problem is the good ones are probably being paid well and have good situations,

Rob Ryan in Dallas, Marinelli in Chicago, Capers in Green Bay, Dick Labaugh Pittsburgh- all these guys are responsible for pretty good teams in good situations, it would be hard to pry them away without offering the HC position, which we both agree we would like.

Mike Zimmer is out there and Cincy’s defense is very good and has always been respectable, not to mention they run the 4-3 and he could easily come in and fix this D.

Jason mentioned Steve Spagnolo of the Rams who I really like, but unless he gets fired not going to happen. Mike Singletary may be a little extreme for my liking. And there is the obvious Fisher, Gruden, Cowher.

How do you know he hasn't had offers for interviews but turned them down because he didn't feel the fit was right? That logic could also be used towards Gruden or Cowher, who many people have also been calling for (not necessarily you but a lot of people). Like I said, imo, the lack of offensive success was due to lack of a remotely talented QB. Billick did win a SB with Trent Dilfer as the QB so that shows that Billick had success when he was able to get even a game-manager type QB in there.

Well, I guess I can't say with 100% certainty that he hasn't had offers but that type of thing is usually reported and with him being on NFL Network, I would think something would have been said. I agree with you on Gruden and Cowher although I believe both have been approached about taking a new job but neither wanted to return to coaching in those particular situations. I remeber hearing both of them say it.

It's hard for me to give credit to Billick for winning a super bowl with Dilfer. That season they had arguably the best defense ever.

@Jason- Yeah people were shocked here when he fired his close friend Fossil, who was the Giants HC against the Ravens in the Super Bowl! No doubt Billick has a very high football IQ and I would prefer him to Caldwell, when he is on the NFL Network with Jim Mora it looks like they both wanted back on the sidelines!

@Blazer40- I am with you on a defensive guy here, or at least a really talented and proven defensive coordinator brought in. Problem is the good ones are probably being paid well and have good situations,

Rob Ryan in Dallas, Marinelli in Chicago, Capers in Green Bay, Dick Labaugh Pittsburgh- all these guys are responsible for pretty good teams in good situations, it would be hard to pry them away without offering the HC position, which we both agree we would like.

Mike Zimmer is out there and Cincy’s defense is very good and has always been respectable, not to mention they run the 4-3 and he could easily come in and fix this D.

Jason mentioned Steve Spagnolo of the Rams who I really like, but unless he gets fired not going to happen. Mike Singletary may be a little extreme for my liking. And there is the obvious Fisher, Gruden, Cowher.

Steve Spagnolo and Ron Rivera were 2 guys aside from Billick I was hoping would get consideration before Caldwell was named as Dungy's successor. Another option, though not my favorite one, would be to try to lure Monte Kiffin back to the NFL. Probably unlikely but he knows the defense. He would continue to run the Tampa 2 as the base defense which I hate but I do think he'd change things up enough to make it more successful than what Coyer is doing.

Is Carolina running a 3-4 or 4-3 this season? Colts need someone new, there needs to be a culture change, a shift towards bringing some physicality with their finesse. Physicality is what wins in the playoffs (running the ball and stopping the run) and if you can combine that with finesse aspects (stopping the pass, rushing the passer, throwing the ball) you have a winning formula. That’s exactly what Green Bay had finesse in stopping the pass, rushing the passer, and throwing the ball, yet they brought the physicality in stopping the run and pounding the ball to create balance!

It's hard for me to give credit to Billick for winning a super bowl with Dilfer. That season they had arguably the best defense ever.

Very true and I'll certainly give you that...but my counter would be that even with the best defense, you still need some type of consistency and help from the offense. The Ravens that year definitely didn't win because of their offense, but their offense did help them out. Similar with the '02 Bucs and the '85 Bears...neither had great offenses but they did get enough help from the offense. How many years did the Steelers have a top ranked defense under Cowher but they only got 1 SB win out of it?

The thing that I think Billick would bring to the table is more balance on the offense. With Manning out I assumed, like a lot of people, that we'd be running the ball more than throwing but it seems every game they run for a while but then give up on it, even though the Cleveland and Pitt games were close. yeah, the other team's defense made adjustments at halftime, but Caldwell/Christiansen by that same right should have made some adjustments as they saw the running game become less effective but instead they gave up on the run. I expected to see a lot more screens against Pitt to help against their pass rush but there really weren't very many. And I didn't see a screen to Addai at all in the Pitt game, they were all WR screens, which are fine but Addai has been making plays all year so why not continue trying to get the ball into his hands?

Plus the portion of Billick's quote where he said that as the HC you have to coach the players but you also have to coach the coaches really stood out to me and that seems to be one thing that is missing here with Caldwell. That's why I say Caldwell needs to step in and get with Coyer about the coverage issues even though Jim is an offensive minded coach. He's now the HC so he's responsible for the whole shebang. Not saying that he's not doing it behind the scenes because there's no way to know without being in the meetings and practices, but the results certainly aren't showing on the field yet.

Overall yeah, I'll admit I may be a bit of a homer when it comes to Billick, but I've been a fan of his since his early days in Minnesota through his days with Baltimore. I thought he got a really bum wrap when he was fired and the fact that they finally drafted a QB in round 1 the following year just made it suck even more. :)

Is Carolina running a 3-4 or 4-3 this season? Colts need someone new, there needs to be a culture change, a shift towards bringing some physicality with their finesse. Physicality is what wins in the playoffs (running the ball and stopping the run) and if you can combine that with finesse aspects (stopping the pass, rushing the passer, throwing the ball) you have a winning formula. That’s exactly what Green Bay had finesse in stopping the pass, rushing the passer, and throwing the ball, yet they brought the physicality in stopping the run and pounding the ball to create balance!

Carolina runs a 4-3 according to their depth chart.

My question to you Jason is what kind of staff and more who in particular would come with Billick, mainly what defensive coordinator, to me that is the key element, he no doubt would be a good HC because of his intelligence, but from his Minnesota/ Baltimore roots, who do you think he would bring here with him in the coaching staff?

Its said Caldwell won't be canned because he has the best excuse in Manning, but to me that's all the more reason to can him. Even without Manning the Colts have serious talent. Caldwell is simply not coaching nor is Clyde or Coyer.. period. Manning is not all to blame on this loosing season. Poor coaching and decisions have burned this colts team. A good coach could make correct adjustments and win.

My question to you Jason is what kind of staff and more who in particular would come with Billick, mainly what defensive coordinator, to me that is the key element, he no doubt would be a good HC because of his intelligence, but from his Minnesota/ Baltimore roots, who do you think he would bring here with him in the coaching staff?

That my good sir, is a very excellent question and I don't even have any speculation. Having been out of coaching for a few years he really has no direct ties to anyone. The same would be true with Gruden and Cowher as well...who would they bring with them? (that's more a thought-provoking rhetorical question...not asking you specifically for an answer :) lol)

Exactly, I hope Caldwell doesn’t get a pass just because #18 isn’t here this season! If the Colts don’t win a single game this season why should get a pass? There were some winnable games so far this season given the circumstances. When Brady was out the Patriots went 11-5 and Cassel hadn’t played since high school! So Collins who has been around this league isn’t capable of winning games? The blame does and should fall directly on the coaching staff period. It’s time to clean house baby!

On a side note, the colts remind me alot of my brothers' football team this year. Tons of talent, both my brothers could end up in the NFL or have incredible college careers, but they are henderd by an incompetent coach that cannot run a team. Terrible play calling, makes the qb run to him on every down to get the next play, doesn't teach the fundamentals, just pizz poor. My one bro plays linebacker on D and is on the o line on offense which is wrong. He should be playong fullback. The kid can run, catch, and is 6'2 and 250 lbs of pure muscle. They're coach doesn't even know where to play his players to get the maximum out of the talent he is given.

It sickens me every game as does this Colts coaching staff. Can't play call, bad decisions all contribute to an 0-4 record and now, Colts are dropping like flies on IR. Frustrating. My Monday night qb insight.

@Jason- Well Gruden had your guy Monte Kiffin, Cowher had Dick LeBeau. If they can bring back their old staff with them then I am all for either one, but I do believe Cowher said he wanted either the Giants, Dolphins, and or Carolinas head coaching positions.

@Jason- Well Gruden had your guy Monte Kiffin, Cowher had Dick LeBeau. If they can bring back their old staff with them then I am all for either one, but I do believe Cowher said he wanted either the Giants, Dolphins, and or Carolinas head coaching positions.

lol now don't misunderstand...I don't necessarily want Kiffin because I want to see the tampa 2 shelved for all eternity and he wouldn't do that. I do think he would use it more effectively than Coyer but I'd prefer to see it just....gone. lol

Here's an interesting question....would LeBeau leave Pitt if Cowher came back or is he happy there with Tomlin?

Another excellent DC I would love to see some interest given to is Gunther Cunningham though he's currently DC with Detroit and would most likely have to be offered the HC position or a massive raise.

The problem is that most of the guys we'd prefer to see are either already DC's somewhere so would require a promotion and/or raise, or they're HC's so would require a big raise. It'd be more of a risk but ultimately we might have to check out the position coaches for some of these teams to look for the next Mike Tomlin type. Find a guy who's learned from a Dick LeBeau, Gunther Cunningham, Rod Marinelli, Jim Johnson etc who were all known for running excellent defenses and hope the position coach learned enough to be able to take the reigns as full DC.

Does Nebraska (NCAA) pay its head coaches well? Bo Pelini's resume is a good one. He has turned around defenses most places he has gone, he has defensive backs coaching experience in the NFL with the 49ers (I think in the 90s), and I would love to give him a shot as a DC. He has coached Suh at Nebraska, and Dorsey & Tyson Jackson at LSU too, all in 4-3 Ds. But it probably might take too much money to get him to the Colts, I think.

Guys like Chuck Pagano, Rod Marinelli, Gunther Cunningham are not going to leave one DC position to get another DC position, it would have to be for a head coaching position. So, if we get a head coach like Fisher and a DC like Bo Pelini, it would be nice. Just another name to throw out there :).

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Pelini :

In 1994, Pelini got his first position in the National Football League when he was hired by San Francisco 49ers head coach George Seifert as a scouting assistant. He was quickly promoted to assistant secondary coach, and by the spring of 1994 he had been promoted again to Defensive Backs Coach.

In 1995, in his new position, he coached in his first Super Bowl as the 49ers defeated the San Diego Chargers 49–26 in Super Bowl XXIX.

In 1997, Pelini was hired by New England Patriots head coach Pete Carroll, again as defensive backs coach, helping the Patriots reach the playoffs twice during his three years there.

In 2000, Pelini became the Linebackers Coach for the Green Bay Packers under head coach Mike Sherman. Green Bay posted a 33–15 record and reached the playoffs twice in Pelini's three years there as linebackers coach.

couple of interesting names I came across while scouring through positional coaches for other teams who's defense I would like to see ours mimic....Jim Washburn, DL coach for Philly and Ed Donatell, DB coach for San Fran, Joe Vitt LB coach and asst. HC for NO? Just throwing a few names out there. Just trying to look at possibilities for someone to bring in as DC that wouldn't necessarily have to be offered the HC position.