Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Lilja to Broncos?

DILLIGAFER

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mulling at this juncture.. Though, it sounded like they waved a nice carrot..

What's up Doc? [bugs Bunny line] It's it funny how the right price makes people come out of retirement. Hmmm...chill with the family or travel away from the nest & get paid handsomely? SW1 would jump at the money too. Being surrounded by family 24/7 has a short shelf life doesn't it? Just Kidding!  :lol:

Im surprised Peyton hasn't tried to recruit marv to the broncos

I understand your train of thinking CR91, but Marvin Harrison has been out of football since about 2006/2007 & I doubt that he is in serious NFL WR shape anymore though. I love Marvin too, but he's more than a little rusty now my friend. Even in his prime, Peyton always said that Marvin never really took the best care of his body either. 

I understand your train of thinking CR91, but Marvin Harrison has been out of football since about 2006/2007 & I doubt that he is in serious NFL WR shape anymore though. I love Marvin too, but he's more than a little rusty now my friend. Even in his prime, Peyton always said that Marvin never really took the best care of his body either.

It was a joke buddy

I had to do a double take. When I first glanced at the thread along the right side of the Forum main page, I swore it said Ryan Leaf to the Broncos..For a split second I was like WHAT???..then I looked at it again, and it said Lilja......WHEW

The Broncs made a good move..Lilja is still a serviceable lineman...At the very least its some depth in case of other injuries...

I had to do a double take. When I first glanced at the thread along the right side of the Forum main page, I swore it said Ryan Leaf to the Broncos..For a split second I was like WHAT???..then I looked at it again, and it said Lilja......WHEW

The Broncs made a good move..Lilja is still a serviceable lineman...At the very least its some depth in case of other injuries...

haha

There isn't anyone young and capable they can just insert into the starting lineup?

He's only 31, and he's still capable. KC wanted him back.

They've had three injuries at the position - two to younger guys (at least one of whom was very capable). What would you like them to do? Should they spend the season breaking in a kid shifted over from guard on a team pushing for the super bowl - with a QB whose entire game is built on communication and reaction at the line of scrimmage?

Denver is OLD in so many key areas it seems.

That "seems" quite inaccurate. Manning and Bailey are obviously old. The only other "old" players were brought in for limited dollars for depth. The vast majority of their key contributors haven't even hit their prime.

Lilja communicates very well with fellow OL for starters.

Can lack lateral quickness to deal with athletic LBs on delayed blitzes. As an OG, I felt that hurt him because outside protection calls, the center position's peripheral responsibilities are not nearly as much as an OG who may have to deal with more peripheral action than the Center. Plus, it is hard to find too many OGs around the 290-300 lb range in NFL starting lineups nowadays with having to deal with LBs weighing 250-270 lbs coming with a load of steam. I still remember Joey Porter owning Lilja in the 2005 Colts-Steelers playoff game but when the Colts went on their run to win the SB after the 2006 season, Ryan Lilja and Jake Scott along with Jeff Saturday, Tarik Glenn and Ryan Diem run blocked real good vs the #1, #2, and #3 scoring Ds of the Ravens, Bears and Patriots to help the Colts win it all. Still a good run blocker because he plays well with leverage, and Jamaal Charles benefited too with the Chiefs.

Plus, Ryan Lilja is 6'2" with not that long arms thus reducing his ability to handle stunts (I borrowed that reasoning from what Bill Polian used for another OG the Colts had during the Peyton days, Mike Pollark, don't shoot me if you don't agree with me :)). But for a center, they are more than adequate to play with leverage which he plays well with. Thus Lilja's body type lends him at this point in his career to be a very good center, IMO.

When Rodney Hudson, their young center went down (the Chiefs last year), Lilja stepped in and played center, not sure, if it was for the first time in his NFL career. He was rated the 14th best Center in the league when the season ended. I still felt he was a fall guy for Bill Polian when ole Bill sent him packing from the Colts after the SB after calling out the O-line who gave few "remember me" shots for Gregg Williams to cherish (as Saturday put it in words :))

He's only 31, and he's still capable. KC wanted him back.

They've had three injuries at the position - two to younger guys (at least one of whom was very capable). What would you like them to do? Should they spend the season breaking in a kid shifted over from guard on a team pushing for the super bowl - with a QB whose entire game is built on communication and reaction at the line of scrimmage?

That "seems" quite inaccurate. Manning and Bailey are obviously old. The only other "old" players were brought in for limited dollars for depth. The vast majority of their key contributors haven't even hit their prime.

I apologize MAC for my inaccuracy. I don't know the Denver roster as well as some of you do. 

It was a joke buddy

Okay, SW1 literally dropped the ball on that CR91. My bad. Kudos my good man. You spoofed me well on that one.  haha Sometimes, I'm too intellectual/nerdy for my own good pal. I deserve that. Well played!  :thmup:

Once an educated id-iot always an educated id-iot I guess.  :D  I can LOL at myself. It's good for the soul man! Ha! Ha! 

Lilja is in Denver now.  He's been signed.  In a few years, Denver will be a terrible team.  They're so old in so many places, as one poster said above.  They really need Osweiller to learn almost everything Peyton has to offer.

once peyton is gone, the broncos will be dismal. ive said it before in another thread that if the broncos dont win the super bowl this year, its over for them. their window is very tiny.

Okay, SW1 literally dropped the ball on that CR91. My bad. Kudos my good man. You spoofed me well on that one.  haha Sometimes, I'm too intellectual/nerdy for my own good pal. I deserve that. Well played!  :thmup:

Once an educated id-iot always an educated id-iot I guess.  :D  I can LOL at myself. It's good for the soul man! Ha! Ha! 

its all good pal :thmup:

I apologize MAC for my inaccuracy. I don't know the Denver roster as well as some of you do. 

Certainly no need to apologize. If I had any edge to my comment it's because I was wary of you looking to have some fun with the idea of the Broncos collapsing around Peyton. Yes, I've been following the team closely. 

The healthy offense is Manning, Welker, Dreesen, Tamme, and everyone else is 27 or less. Many a lot less. And Dreesen/Tamme are being pushed hard by younger guys. The defense certainly has been plugged by a few older guys who will hopefully play a key role the next year or two, but they're largely short term/cheap contracts, and aside from Bailey I doubt that any of them will even be starting.

Lilja is in Denver now.  He's been signed.  In a few years, Denver will be a terrible team.  They're so old in so many places, as one poster said above.  They really need Osweiller to learn almost everything Peyton has to offer.

True 21isSuperman no argument there, but this league is predicated on 1 principle: Win now is it not? A SuperBowl  :lombardi:  or bust...Next year means nothing like a mirage in the desert...it's outta sight;outta mind...

once peyton is gone, the broncos will be dismal. ive said it before in another thread that if the broncos dont win the super bowl this year, its over for them. their window is very tiny.

This year, or next year, or the year after that. The window isn't THAT small.

It's not all that bold to predict that a team will fall after losing a top QB. You could say that about ANY team that has a top QB. I think that the Broncos actual problem is that they have enough talent to still be mediocre after Peyton retires, and that's not going to help much when it comes to getting the NEXT QB (unless Osweiller is the real deal - who knows).

Of course after Peyton retires I'm not likely to particularly care all that much if they are dismal. :D

It's not all that bold to predict that a team will fall after losing a top QB. You could say that about ANY team that has a top QB. I think that the Broncos actual problem is that they have enough talent to still be mediocre after Peyton retires, and that's not going to help much when it comes to getting the NEXT QB (unless Osweiller is the real deal - who knows).

Of course after Peyton retires I'm not likely to particularly care all that much if they are dismal. :D

no its this year or bust. peyton is gonna be 38 next year and if you think peyton will still be peyton at 38 I would recommend professional help my friend.

its all good pal :thmup:

Thanks for understanding CR91. I appreciate that. You're pretty cool if I do say so myself.  :36dancing:

Your line about John Elway not saying anything about front office executives not getting into trouble this offseason still makes me laugh after Matt Russell was charged with DUI on another forum topic to this day.  :lol:

no its this year or bust. peyton is gonna be 38 next year and if you think peyton will still be peyton at 38 I would recommend professional help my friend.

Neither of us have any idea what he will be or when his body will fail him. What we do know is that what has always set him apart is his brain. He could well decline further physically and still be vastly superior to most of the QBs who have ever played.

Some guys are dinkers and dunkers right from the get go and are still successful. If Peyton declines to the point where he's that type of QB but still wants to play, he could re-write the rules - again. Maybe he won't survive a poor oline, or a team with no running game, but put that brain in the right system and you can win - pretty much until he loses his accuracy. 

Certainly no need to apologize. If I had any edge to my comment it's because I was wary of you looking to have some fun with the idea of the Broncos collapsing around Peyton. Yes, I've been following the team closely. 

The healthy offense is Manning, Welker, Dreesen, Tamme, and everyone else is 27 or less. Many a lot less. And Dreesen/Tamme are being pushed hard by younger guys. The defense certainly has been plugged by a few older guys who will hopefully play a key role the next year or two, but they're largely short term/cheap contracts, and aside from Bailey I doubt that any of them will even be starting.

I think they are the clear AFC favorites, at least right now. And I didn't feel this way last season ever and never felt it was their year. This offseason at times I think it is being more paved for them when you see what is happening in NE/Baltimore and the uncertainty of various teams. I just think the pressure is immense this season is all to cash in and sometimes that amount of pressure/expectations (especially in the offseason) can make me uncomfortable no matter the team. Of course you cannot predict the dark horse teams who may arise later on and make the playoffs VERY interesting.

Although they probably have a longer window then I anticipate in Denver if Manning stays healthy.

Neither of us have any idea what he will be or when his body will fail him. What we do know is that what has always set him apart is his brain. He could well decline further physically and still be vastly superior to most of the QBs who have ever played.

Some guys are dinkers and dunkers right from the get go and are still successful. If Peyton declines to the point where he's that type of QB but still wants to play, he could re-write the rules - again. Maybe he won't survive a poor oline, or a team with no running game, but put that brain in the right system and you can win - pretty much until he loses his accuracy. 

if peyton's arm continues to lose zip like in the ravens game, then I dont care how smart peyton is, hes not gonna be able to hold up.

Yeah, I kind of think that too. This year is "getter done" [Larry the Cable Guy] for #18 & his 2nd bid for SB ring. But, I also concur with Mac, once Peyton leaves Denver; I will drop my interest in that Southwestern located franchise faster than an anvil crushing a Copperhead snake's head. 

if peyton's arm continues to lose zip like in the ravens game, then I dont care how smart peyton is, hes not gonna be able to hold up.

He showed plenty of zip in that game. There were a couple of poor throws, but when you consider that it was double overtime in the second worst (if memory serves) game time wind chill factor in Broncos history I think it's safe to assume it's the exception, not the rule.

Recent reports indicate that he is looking stronger than last year. It might be smart for him to avoid attempting 40 passes per game, but any assumption that he has been steadily declining is either misguided - or wishful thinking (depending on your perspective).

Yeah, I kind of think that too. This year is "getter done" [Larry the Cable Guy] for #18 & his 2nd bid for SB ring. But, I also concur with Mac, once Peyton leaves Denver; I will drop my interest in that Southwestern located franchise faster than an anvil crushing a Copperhead snake's head. 

I still can't be a Bronco fan since I grew a Chief fan

I will root for PM but not for the team.

He showed plenty of zip in that game. There were a couple of poor throws, but when you consider that it was double overtime in the second worst (if memory serves) game time wind chill factor in Broncos history I think it's safe to assume it's the exception, not the rule.

Recent reports indicate that he is looking stronger than last year. It might be smart for him to avoid attempting 40 passes per game, but any assumption that he has been steadily declining is either misguided - or wishful thinking (depending on your perspective).

ive heard somewhere that peyton was still having neck problems

But, I also concur with Mac, once Peyton leaves Denver; I will drop my interest in that Southwestern located franchise faster than an anvil crushing a Copperhead snake's head. 

That's a REALLY disturbing analogy you've got there Southwest :haha;

They may be southwest of where southwest is sitting (and me too), but I always think of it as smack in the middle - way "out there" somewhere. :P