Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Lilja to Broncos?

DILLIGAFER

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive heard somewhere that peyton was still having neck problems

We had a thread here about a tweet from Incarcerated Bob with "inside information". NOBODY else in the media picked it up and ran with it.

There were contrary reports about him being stronger than expected at the passing academy. More importantly, training camp is underway with media and fans watching every move. I have seen a single sentence suggesting any problems with him. Quite the opposite.

I think they are the clear AFC favorites, at least right now. And I didn't feel this way last season ever and never felt it was their year. This offseason at times I think it is being more paved for them when you see what is happening in NE/Baltimore and the uncertainty of various teams. I just think the pressure is immense this season is all to cash in and sometimes that amount of pressure/expectations (especially in the offseason) can make me uncomfortable no matter the team. Of course you cannot predict the dark horse teams who may arise later on and make the playoffs VERY interesting.

Although they probably have a longer window then I anticipate in Denver if Manning stays healthy.

You make excellent points Jules. None that I can refute. For me, it boils down to clutchness & can I trust Manning in the Playoffs to seal the deal & cross the finish line? I must admit that my confidence in the clutchness arena has been shaken & is wavering.

Part of that is age & arm strength & part of that is a lack of killer instinct in the post season as of late. SW1 can't lie to myself anymore. Are there enough pieces in Denver to carry Manning over the Lombardi victory thresh hold? Hmmm...RB Montee Ball so help me God; you better pass protect beautifully or the addition of WR Wes Welker won't mean a darn thing...

You make excellent points Jules. None that I can refute. For me, it boils down to clutchness & can I trust Manning in the Playoffs to seal the deal & cross the finish line? I must admit that my confidence in the clutchness arena has been shaken & is wavering.

Part of that is age & arm strength & part of that is a lack of killer instinct in the post season as of late. SW1 can't lie to myself anymore. Are there enough pieces in Denver to carry Manning over the Lombardi victory thresh hold? Hmmm...RB Montee Ball so help me God; you better pass protect beautifully or the addition of WR Wes Welker won't mean a darn thing...

For a long time back in the day I always thought Peyton would be done in his late 30's. Now I am not so sure. He is 37 now so who knows.

However if Denver DID win it all I do wonder if he would retire on top?

We had a thread here about a tweet from Incarcerated Bob with "inside information". NOBODY else in the media picked it up and ran with it.

There were contrary reports about him being stronger than expected at the passing academy. More importantly, training camp is underway with media and fans watching every move. I have seen a single sentence suggesting any problems with him. Quite the opposite.

no it wasnt from that joker. anyway I cant wait to play peyton. nbc's ratings are gonna explode.

especially if we win.

Either way I'm miserable. Call it a lose lose proposition.

So many people are looking forward to it, but I can't tell you how much I'm dreading it. Much rather they NEVER play.

That's a REALLY disturbing analogy you've got there Southwest : haha;

They may be southwest of where southwest is sitting (and me too), but I always think of it as smack in the middle - way "out there" somewhere. :P

My momma always said that I had a gift for language & vivid imagery & my dad always said that "if you can't dazzle them will brilliance; baffle with bull_______." [Rhymes with wit]  haha

Yes, I am fully aware that SW1 is indeed my username on this site & I too could have a unpleasant demise myself, but should that transpire, I assure you that I will exit this world in an unforgettable fashion complete with the combustion of a thousand suns one vibrant & illuminating bang with pretty rainbow colors buddy...Just Kidding MAC! lmao  It's never how you start. It's how you finish...

Either way I'm miserable. Call it a lose lose proposition.

So many people are looking forward to it, but I can't tell you how much I'm dreading it. Much rather they NEVER play.

it was bound to happen and if I was a betting man Id say we'll meet in the playoffs too

For a long time back in the day I always thought Peyton would be done in his late 30's. Now I am not so sure. He is 37 now so who knows.

MAC makes a good point & so do you. No one has a "Crystal Ball" [A really good song performed by the Styx actually, but I digress.] Oh yeah Jules, most definitely, if Peyton Manning wins the SB this season, I'd bet my life that #18 will ride off into the NFL sunset & call it a career. Hades, Wes Welker would probably hang up his league spurs too. 

BTW that life bet thing of mine is just a figure of speech.  :P  I'm not going anywhere regardless of what the Bronco's achieve this year. No Ryan Braun/Aaron Rogers direct comparisons please. SW1 isn't doing a blood oath here.  :D

it was bound to happen and if I was a betting man Id say we'll meet in the playoffs too

Ah yes, the plot thickens...so much tension...so much intrigue...Old guard vs new guard which legend will emerge victorious & claim the spoils of war on the field? Nice! 

Who is Grant & who is Lee? 1 thing is certain: Whoever falls & capitulates both Manning & Luck are like Civil War generals who have profound & mutual respect for each other's intellect & West Point minds of offensive prowess & skill. Rest assured, it will be a glorious game to witness for all ages...

Ah yes, the plot thickens...so much tension...so much intrigue...Old guard vs new guard which legend will emerge victorious & claim the spoils of war on the field? Nice! 

its young buck vs old stallion. cant get a better headline then that

Who is Grant & who is Lee? 1 thing is certain: Whoever falls & capitulates both Manning & Luck are like Civil War generals who have profound & mutual respect for each other's intellect & West Point minds of offensive prowess & skill. Rest assured, it will be a glorious game to witness for all ages...

I might be alone here but I almost would rather this game be in Denver. Less hoopla if it was out their since there long time fans really don't care as much. If we met them in the playoffs last year it would have been in Denver too. Of course the media will go wild regardless of the location. Sigh.

Now we have to eventually just get this over with and play the darn thing despite the hoopla. Eventually we will have to play Denver with Manning (and now Lilja lol) and we will. Get it done with.

I won't be going though, I already turned down a shot to go. I went to that other overly hyped game in 2007 when the perfect Colts played the perfect Pats and I really did not enjoy it. Not because we lost only but because it was so built up. Funny story before that game, I saw Phil Simms before the game when I was meeting someone in a hotel and I yelled to him, "Go Colts!" and he said back to me while nodding, "Absolutely."

I have no idea what will happen. The odds say Denver will win obviously but at the same time I think Luck/Wayne etc. might show up at home too in this game and make a statement of their own. I was not high on Denver most of last season and never expected them to go the distance and thought they were a bit of a paper tiger. This year I am keeping a much more open mind on them and think they might "settle down" too and beat some more quality teams when it matters. We'll see. It starts week 1 for them.

And we also have to play Freeney. And Arians. And Luck has to play vs. Jim Harbaugh.

This season is loaded with story lines. :headspin: The schedule is ranked what third easiest in the league? You kidding me? It looks kinda tough to me, especially the first half of the year. The second half eases up. If we make the playoffs again and I do think we will find a way....people better shut up about how lucky we are all the time and how soft our schedule is. Playing Peyton, Freeney, the NFC West and Cincy and Houston twice is NOT easy.  And for all we known the Chiefs and Dolphins will be good or something.

once peyton is gone, the broncos will be dismal. ive said it before in another thread that if the broncos dont win the super bowl this year, its over for them. their window is very tiny.

Uh, no.

'Once Peyton is gone' is 2017.   All Denver offensive skill position players are 30 or under...as is 1/2 the O-line,the half with the Pro Bowlers

The 'window' is going to be open for a little while

Uh, no.

'Once Peyton is gone' is 2017.   All Denver offensive skill position players are 30 or under...as is 1/2 the O-line,the half with the Pro Bowlers

The 'window' is going to be open for a little while

:sigh:  so your saying peyton is gonna play til hes 41.

That's an easy one..

Peyton signed a 5-year contract and he wont walk after 2 years......unless he isnt healthy...

Elway,,,won at 37 and came back at age 38.....I would guess Peyton would not have signed for 5 years if he didnt want to play 5 years..

....He could have retired after the neck surgeries and his release from Indy. He still likes to play.

..Brady says he'll play till he's 50

barring injury.....I dont think there's any question about it.

The offense Denver has now if the best Manning has ever had...around him

which is all meaningless. I dont understand why people think peyton is superman and he can continue to play at a high level well into his late 30s

That's an easy one..

Peyton signed a 5-year contract and he wont walk after 2 years......unless he isnt healthy...

Elway,,,won at 37 and came back at age 38.....I would guess Peyton would not have signed for 5 years if he didnt want to play 5 years..

....He could have retired after the neck surgeries and his release from Indy. He still likes to play.

..Brady says he'll play till he's 50

I highly doubt the number of years peyton signed for has any indications of how long he plans to play.

which is all meaningless. I dont understand why people think peyton is superman and he can continue to play at a high level well into his late 30s

Why can't he?

Peyton has had a very good career without many big injuries other then the neck surgey he played fantastic last year and would have won MVP if not for AP he has brenn able to keep from getting hit as hard and as much as most QBs do he is in better health then Brett Farve and he played till he was 100

Why can't he?

Peyton has had a very good career without many big injuries other then the neck surgey he played fantastic last year and would have won MVP if not for AP he has brenn able to keep from getting hit as hard and as much as most QBs do he is in better health then Brett Farve and he played till he was 100

name a qb that has won a super bowl and was a big part of a team's success at 37. no elway doesnt count because he was nothing more then a game manager at that time. it was terrelle davis and shannon sharpe that carried that team.

name a qb that has won a super bowl and was a big part of a team's success at 37. no elway doesnt count because he was nothing more then a game manager at that time. it was terrelle davis and shannon sharpe that carried that team.

But wat your not getting is who is to say Peyton won't this season? You know for sure that he won't play at a high level he was that te last year and they could win the Super Bowl this year

You're young..Joe Montana and John Elway started entire seasons when they were 38...

Giid QBs play into their late 30s....They're not running backs.....   They dont get hit

Tom Brady and Drew Brees will play till they're 40, too.

Why wouldnt they?

John Elway...

You cant say that two-time Super Bowl QB was a game manager..

Shanno Sharpe must have thrown passes to himself

Also all I'm saying is why can't Peyton if he was showing signs of slowing down then I might agree but as a stated before he was playing at MVP level last year

You're young..Joe Montana and John Elway started entire seasons when they were 38...

Giid QBs play into their late 30s....They're not running backs.....   They dont get hit

Tom Brady and Drew Brees will play till they're 40, too.

Why wouldnt they?

John Elway...

You cant say that two-time Super Bowl QB was a game manager..

Shanno Sharpe must have thrown passes to himself

there hasnt been a qb that has played til their 40 other then brett favre. atleast I cant think of one that was full time starter.

eh yea I can. those super bowls were manufactured thanks to davis. yea because its hard to throw to a hall of fame TE. elway was not elway in the 90s like he was in the 80s

Also all I'm saying is why can't Peyton if he was showing signs of slowing down then I might agree but as a stated before he was playing at MVP level last year

and all im saying is I doubt he can keep it up. even someone as great as peyton will start to decline

and all im saying is I doubt he can keep it up. even someone as great as peyton will start to decline

Very true but he isn't showing signs yet so I'm gonna believe he can keep playing till then I just think he has a better chance then others have had cause of his ability to not get hit as much his quick release and ability to read defenses has helped his career emmensly so I think if he wants to he can out do Brett

So do the Broncos have more members from our 2006 Super Bowl team than we do yet?

Honestly I think it's tied they have Manning, Lilja, and Stokley (he was on IR) and we have Wayne, Adam, and Bethea. I don't think I am missing anyone.

I was wrong very wrong we still have more how dare I forget Mathis!

Very true but he isn't showing signs yet so I'm gonna believe he can keep playing till then I just think he has a better chance then others have had cause of his ability to not get hit as much his quick release and ability to read defenses has helped his career emmensly so I think if he wants to he can out do Brett

guess we'll see

there hasnt been a qb that has played til their 40 other then brett favre. atleast I cant think of one that was full time starter.

eh yea I can. those super bowls were manufactured thanks to davis. yea because its hard to throw to a hall of fame TE. elway was not elway in the 90s like he was in the 80s

That's Skip Bayless-ESPN nonsense...

John Elway led those teams

age 37: 3,635 yards passing......23 TDs, 11 INTs////50 carries, 218 yards

Elway was 35-8 in his last 3 seasons with 2 Super Bowls...

He was the NFL champ at QB at age 38..

You might want to drop this arguement: you have to admit the facts dont support it

That's Skip Bayless-ESPN nonsense...

John Elway led those teams

age 37: 3,635 yards passing......23 TDs, 11 INTs////50 carries, 218 yards

Elway was 35-8 in his last 3 seasons with 2 Super Bowls...

He was the NFL champ at QB at age 38..

You might want to drop this arguement: you have to admit the facts dont support it

you call throwing for just 3600 yards and 23 tds a BIG contribution?