Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jennings critical of Aaron Rodgers

amfootball

Apparently Greg Jennings did an interview with the Star Tribune and criticized Rodgers. Here is the quote. This was from an ESPN article, http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9512067/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-says-was-lied-ryan-braun

Earlier this week, former Packers receiver Greg Jennings -- now with the archrival Minnesota Vikings -- criticized his ex-quarterback. In an interview with the Star Tribune, Jennings questioned Rodgers' leadership and implied the quarterback had become bigger than the team.

"Don't get me wrong, '12' is a great person," Jennings was quoted as saying, referring to Rodgers. "But when you hear all positives, all positives, all positives all the time, it's hard for you to sit down when one of your teammates says, 'Man, come on, you've got to hold yourself accountable for this.' It's hard for someone to see that now because all they've heard is I'm doing it the right way, I'm perfect. In actuality, we all have flaws."

Rodgers said he wasn't spending time or energy on Jennings' comments.

"I'm concerned with the opinions of the guys in this locker room and the guys we have here," Rodgers said. "It's exciting to be able to be one of the leaders of this football team, and I'm very confident in my style."

Apparently Greg Jennings did an interview with the Star Tribune and criticized Rodgers. Here is the quote. This was from an ESPN article, http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9512067/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-says-was-lied-ryan-braun

Earlier this week, former Packers receiver Greg Jennings -- now with the archrival Minnesota Vikings -- criticized his ex-quarterback. In an interview with the Star Tribune, Jennings questioned Rodgers' leadership and implied the quarterback had become bigger than the team.

"Don't get me wrong, '12' is a great person," Jennings was quoted as saying, referring to Rodgers. "But when you hear all positives, all positives, all positives all the time, it's hard for you to sit down when one of your teammates says, 'Man, come on, you've got to hold yourself accountable for this.' It's hard for someone to see that now because all they've heard is I'm doing it the right way, I'm perfect. In actuality, we all have flaws."

Rodgers said he wasn't spending time or energy on Jennings' comments.

"I'm concerned with the opinions of the guys in this locker room and the guys we have here," Rodgers said. "It's exciting to be able to be one of the leaders of this football team, and I'm very confident in my style."

Here is the Star Tribune article, http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/216845561.html

Nothing really new, heard this type of stuff before about Rodgers. He can be arrogant and a bit full of himself at times. But he plays extremely well most of the time and wins, so he can get away with it. Rodgers always has striked me as the perfect front runner, but when things get rough, he isn't the best person for that type of situation.

Pretty easy to offer "advice" after you no longer have to interact with the guy.

Sounds like a little golden child jealousy if you ask me.

Exactly House, QB Christian Ponder is no Aaron Rodgers. He will make Jennings ponder why he signed with Minnesota in the 1st place. Jennings won't win a ring there. Not now not ever. 

It's like trading in a Ferrari for a station wagon. No more trophies. No more media darling press coverage. 

This is the third offensive player to make remarks about Rodgers. First it was Jermichael's agent then Driver's sister and now Jennings. I get what Jennings is saying. He feels Rodgers has let the media go to his head and that he is above criticism. Say what you want but team is the most important aspect of football and a diva at QB makes everyone uneasy. If you read the Star Tribune article and seems as if McCarthy has spoken with Rodgers about this.

This is the third offensive player to make remarks about Rodgers. First it was Jermichael's agent then Driver's sister and now Jennings. I get what Jennings is saying. He feels Rodgers has let the media go to his head and that he is above criticism. Say what you want but team is the most important aspect of football and a diva at QB makes everyone uneasy. If you read the Star Tribune article and seems as if McCarthy has spoken with Rodgers about this.

Well, Rodgers had quit throwing the ball to Finley completely, so I can understand his anger. Maybe Jennings thought he should be a GB lifer and Rodgers didn't go on a limb for him.

Oth, Jeff Saturday who spent last year with him, implied his leadership skills were lacking. Jeff never says things like that, so there must be some truth.

Well, Rodgers had quit throwing the ball to Finley completely, so I can understand his anger. Maybe Jennings thought he should be a GB lifer and Rodgers didn't go on a limb for him.

Oth, Jeff Saturday who spent last year with him, implied his leadership skills were lacking. Jeff never says things like that, so there must be some truth.

I had not heard that about Saturday. That is interesting as you are right, Jeff is not a guy to say something like that. Do you have a link to Saturday's comments?

Pretty easy to offer "advice" after you no longer have to interact with the guy.

Sounds like a little golden child jealousy if you ask me.

I know these are 'grown men', House,,,, but I'd have to agree...

Are there hidden issues here that havent come out??

What brought this on...?   The QB, in many respects, makes the receiver....not the other way around

Jennings owes a lot of his career (and his bank account) to Rodgers...

Even if you dont like him...you owe him..why are you talking now?

Why doesn't he just shut up????

I know these are 'grown men', House,,,, but I'd have to agree...

Are there hidden issues here that havent come out??

What brought this on...?   The QB, in many respects, makes the receiver....not the other way around

Jennings owes a lot of his career (and his bank account) to Rodgers...

Even if you dont like him...you owe him..why are you talking now?

Why doesn't he just shut up????

Because football is a team game and perhaps Jennings feels the Pack would have been more successful had Rodgers been a better leader. As the QB, you have to galvanize the team, not alienate it. Just because Rodgers is a great talent does not mean he is above reproach and pretty sure Jennings helped make Aaron Rodgers who he is too. It goes both ways.

But the time to speak up was when he was in Green Bay..and it apparently doesn't go both ways....a.m.

Rodgers has never said a bad word publically that I've heard about Jennings...and apparently Greg shut upabout  his now-frequent criticisms when he was catching passes in Green Bay. He's brace now that he has the 'cover' of distance..

As a QB you have to win and Rodgers did....your job is not to be liked...or balance egos

,,,,,.'reproach' suggests he did wrong and that's not been stated..

You have to admit....Jennings sounds like a coward and a back-biter who was afraid to speak up when he was taking that good company paycheck but is big and bold now that he's hundreds of miles away...on sombody else's dime

..unless there's some other personal acts and issues that have not been stated...

Because football is a team game and perhaps Jennings feels the Pack would have been more successful had Rodgers been a better leader. As the QB, you have to galvanize the team, not alienate it. Just because Rodgers is a great talent does not mean he is above reproach and pretty sure Jennings helped make Aaron Rodgers who he is too. It goes both ways.

Or because Jennings took a lot of flack for his mistakes, and Aaron, much like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or any other big time QB, wasn't given much flack because he is consistently good.

If he had an issue with leadership, be a leader yourself and help the team. Don't wait till your gone and start throwing jabs. That's what cowards do. It's the equivalent of talking trash on the Internet. Say something about someone when there is nothing they can do about it.

WRs are Divas.

Can't wait to hear all of his thoughts on Ponder in a few years lol.

Or because Jennings took a lot of flack for his mistakes, and Aaron, much like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or any other big time QB, wasn't given much flack because he is consistently good.

If he had an issue with leadership, be a leader yourself and help the team. Don't wait till your gone and start throwing jabs. That's what cowards do. It's the equivalent of talking trash on the Internet. Say something about someone when there is nothing they can do about it.

WRs are Divas.

Can't wait to hear all of his thoughts on Ponder in a few years lol.

Yeah, I don't like it either. Complaining to the media but he is now the third player who has either directly or indirectly complained about Rodgers in this regard. Rodgers better figure it out or else he is going to end up like Cutler and have guys po'ed at him.

Yeah, I don't like it either. Complaining to the media but he is now the third player who has either directly or indirectly complained about Rodgers in this regard. Rodgers better figure it out or else he is going to end up like Cutler and have guys po'ed at him.

Cutler is one of a kind lol. Rodgers couldn't be him if he tried.

Cutler is one of a kind lol. Rodgers couldn't be him if he tried.

What is interesting is Cutler appears like a pouting baby on the field and sideline yet his teammates seem to like him. Urlacher gushes about him and they all came to his side about his toughness when he didn't finish the NFC champ in 2010. Rodgers appears to be a professional on the field but must be a horses you know what during practice and in the locker room. It is now three receivers that have talked about his lack of accountability. That is a lot and he needs to address it and not just sweep it under the rug.

What is interesting is Cutler appears like a pouting baby on the field and sideline yet his teammates seem to like him. Urlacher gushes about him and they all came to his side about his toughness when he didn't finish the NFC champ in 2010. Rodgers appears to be a professional on the field but must be a horses you know what during practice and in the locker room. It is now three receivers that have talked about his lack of accountability. That is a lot and he needs to address it and not just sweep it under the rug.

I don't get any sense Cutlers teammates like him any more than Rodgers. I live in the Chicago land area, and Cutler hardly gets love from the fans, let alone his teammates. Just because they don't go public, doesn't mean they like him.

Maybe more have spoken publicily about Aaron, but that just speaks to their own personal unprofessionalism, at least to me, than it does about Rodgers. Because beefs and arguments are nothing strange to a locker room, most players live by "what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room." Not everyone will love everyone, especially overrated WRs *cough* Jennings *cough* haha

I'm no Rodgers lover, and certainly not his apologist, but I don't read much of anything into these comments. I didn't hear issues about his leadership when he lead them to a SuperBowl.

Aaron isn't the weak link, good leadership or otherwise, that D needs to be addressed.

Just my opinion on the matter though.

I really have no dog in this fight lol. I would say the same thing if Moss and Welker came out after leaving NE saying Tom was a horrible leader. It's all to further some agenda.

Where does it say the QB has to be the leader?

If he doesn't think Rodgers does it, then he should have stepped up and been the man.

Urlacher,Lewis, Dawkins, Redding are some recent defensive guys who have led teams to Superbowls and playoffs. I would think Pats fans would say Bruschi/Vrabel were the leaders of at least one of NE SBs. Even coaches can be leaders. Look at Jim Harbaugh in SF.

Rodgers does his job. He doesn't have to be the leader to do it. Or win a SB. SB MVP. Reg MVP.

Who are the other two?

I don't get any sense Cutlers teammates like him any more than Rodgers. I live in the Chicago land area, and Cutler hardly gets love from the fans, let alone his teammates. Just because they don't go public, doesn't mean they like him.

Maybe more have spoken publicily about Aaron, but that just speaks to their own personal unprofessionalism, at least to me, than it does about Rodgers. Because beefs and arguments are nothing strange to a locker room, most players live by "what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room." Not everyone will love everyone, especially overrated WRs *cough* Jennings *cough* haha

I'm no Rodgers lover, and certainly not his apologist, but I don't read much of anything into these comments. I didn't hear issues about his leadership when he lead them to a SuperBowl.

Aaron isn't the weak link, good leadership or otherwise, that D needs to be addressed.

Just my opinion on the matter though.

I really have no dog in this fight lol. I would say the same thing if Moss and Welker came out after leaving NE saying Tom was a horrible leader. It's all to further some agenda.

I am not saying Cutler is loved but his teammates did rush to his defense after the 2010 NFC champ game, inlcuding defensive players which is rare.

Jennings was Rodgers #1 receiver so I am not sure you can call him overrated. He is also a soft spoken guy as well, not the typical diva WR so I do think his comments bear weight. I am wondering if he said them because he is trying to help his teammates who are still on the Pack who know they can't stay anything.

Whatever is going on, it is going to be fun to watch it play out this season ...

BTW, Frazier told Jennings to put a lid on the Rodgers comments which is also interesting. Guess Jennings has been yapping a lot about AR.

I

Who are the other two?

Finley through his agent and I had thought it was Driver through his sister but it was actually Jennings sister.

Here is the article from the end of last season on it, http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/thrown-into-question-n58fedi-187970011.html

Of course Shannon Sharpe also had some not so pleasant things to say which he probably got from his brother who is still well-connected to GB.

Someone else on this thread also said Jeff Saturday commented on AR's leadership but they did not have a link to it.

That is a lot of smoke. And you know what they say about smoke ....

I am not saying Cutler is loved but his teammates did rush to his defense after the 2010 NFC champ game, inlcuding defensive players which is rare.

Jennings was Rodgers #1 receiver so I am not sure you can call him overrated. He is also a soft spoken guy as well, not the typical diva WR so I do think his comments bear weight. I am wondering if he said them because he is trying to help his teammates who are still on the Pack who know they can't stay anything.

Whatever is going on, it is going to be fun to watch it play out this season ...

BTW, Frazier told Jennings to put a lid on the Rodgers comments which is also interesting. Guess Jennings has been yapping a lot about AR.

I

Still doesn't hold any water for me lol. Rodgers is fine, he's won a SB, meaning he can lead them to another one. Not saying he will, but he's done it so his leadership obviously isn't stunting anything. That D is.

yea 1 thing might be just an issue between 2 guys...but we have heard way too many people questioning his leadership. Even saturday, while not taking a jab at Rodgers, said something like...after this year i appreciate PM leadership.

i think i heard there were rumors on draft days that he was a little cocky? might be wrong or confusing him...

Finley through his agent and I had thought it was Driver through his sister but it was actually Jennings sister.

Here is the article from the end of last season on it, http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/thrown-into-question-n58fedi-187970011.html

Of course Shannon Sharpe also had some not so pleasant things to say which he probably got from his brother who is still well-connected to GB.

Someone else on this thread also said Jeff Saturday commented on AR's leadership but they did not have a link to it.

That is a lot of smoke. And you know what they say about smoke ....

Interesting. I do remember that, now that I'm browsing through that article again. I don't really put a lot of stock into that, especially the lame media bit about how Rodgers needs to take more of the blame and criticism for losses. Truth be told, he pulls his weight, plus some. But you don't really hear stuff like this about great quarterbacks that often, so it is kind of curious.

Interesting. I do remember that, now that I'm browsing through that article again. I don't really put a lot of stock into that, especially the lame media bit about how Rodgers needs to take more of the blame and criticism for losses. Truth be told, he pulls his weight, plus some. But you don't really hear stuff like this about great quarterbacks that often, so it is kind of curious.

Yeah, Rodgers almost always plays great so it is curious as to why there seems to be some issues there with his teammates ...

Nothing really new, heard this type of stuff before about Rodgers. He can be arrogant and a bit full of himself at times. But he plays extremely well most of the time and wins, so he can get away with it. Rodgers always has striked me as the perfect front runner, but when things get rough, he isn't the best person for that type of situation.

Well said

Petty and childish. He wasn't complaining when he was catching those TD passes in the Super Bowl.

Bingo! Nailed it BHC. Sour grapes. Not over winning a ring. More like never winning another ring again in Minnesota. Where's the gratitude man? Pathetic....

yea 1 thing might be just an issue between 2 guys...but we have heard way too many people questioning his leadership. Even saturday, while not taking a jab at Rodgers, said something like...after this year i appreciate PM leadership.

i think i heard there were rumors on draft days that he was a little cocky? might be wrong or confusing him...

Correct.  That was the quote I was talking about (regarding Saturday).  Perhaps, we fans made too much out of it, but what else could he be talking about?

I

Some people feel that big talk about someone else makes them seem bold and unafraid....

..instead of just a whiner.....throwing rocks from a distance... 

Do you have a link on that one?    I don't recall that happening.  (not saying it didn't)   I would think someone here would've linked that....

I'm not the least bit impressed by what either Jennings or Finley say about Rodgers.   Diva's.    In the NFL receivers have a league wide reputation as Diva's.   

I'd be very, very curious about Saturday's comments....   I'd like to see the context for that....

If anyone can find and link it,  much appreciated....

One last thought....   I'd be telling both Jennings and Finley....   "Hey, you like the Super Bowl ring you have on your finger?   Go thank Aaron Rodgers,  because that's who won that for you!"   

Divas.....        :facepalm:

Do you have a link on that one?    I don't recall that happening.  (not saying it didn't)   I would think someone here would've linked that....

I'm not the least bit impressed by what either Jennings or Finley say about Rodgers.   Diva's.    In the NFL receivers have a league wide reputation as Diva's.   

I'd be very, very curious about Saturday's comments....   I'd like to see the context for that....

If anyone can find and link it,  much appreciated....

One last thought....   I'd be telling both Jennings and Finley....   "Hey, you like the Super Bowl ring you have on your finger?   Go thank Aaron Rodgers,  because that's who won that for you!"   

Divas.....        :facepalm:

Pretty sure the receivers helped Rodgers just as much get that ring. Not to mention the defense that caused three TOs in the SB including a pick six ...

Pretty sure the receivers helped Rodgers just as much get that ring. Not to mention the defense that caused three TOs in the SB including a pick six ...

The point -- which you worked hard to miss -- is that Rodgers was the MVP in that game,  and he's the MVP of the Packers,  and he's the MVP of the league.

I'm not surprised the receivers caught the passes,  I didn't think Rodgers caught his own passes.

Receivers are known as Divas far more than QB's are....    QB's that are Divas rarely win and rarely last in the NFL.  

WR's who are Diva's -- even talented ones like Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson -- tend to ware out their welcome and have to move on to other teams.     Oh, look at that,  Greg Jennings is on another team.......     I'll bet he's not happy.   I'll bet he'd like to have ended his career with the Packers.   So, he's lobbing cheap shots now that he's out the door....

I'm not the least bit impressed and I have no reason to give his views any credibility....

The point -- which you worked hard to miss -- is that Rodgers was the MVP in that game,  and he's the MVP of the Packers,  and he's the MVP of the league.

I'm not surprised the receivers caught the passes,  I didn't think Rodgers caught his own passes.

Receivers are known as Divas far more than QB's are....    QB's that are Divas rarely win and rarely last in the NFL.  

WR's who are Diva's -- even talented ones like Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson -- tend to ware out their welcome and have to move on to other teams.     Oh, look at that,  Greg Jennings is on another team.......     I'll bet he's not happy.   I'll bet he'd like to have ended his career with the Packers.   So, he's lobbing cheap shots now that he's out the door....

I'm not the least bit impressed and I have no reason to give his views any credibility....

And the point you missed is that football is the ultimate team game. While the QB is certainly the guy at the helm, pretty sure the other guys deserve a lot of credit too.

I don't disagree about receivers being divas but Jennings? Never a peep out of him. He is not a me guy like TO or Chad Johnson so I do give his remarks more weight especially since he is not the only one to have questioned Rodgers leadership, http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/thrown-into-question-n58fedi-187970011.html

And the point you missed is that football is the ultimate team game. While the QB is certainly the guy at the helm, pretty sure the other guys deserve a lot of credit too.

I don't disagree about receivers being divas but Jennings? Never a peep out of him. He is not a me guy like TO or Chad Johnson so I do give his remarks more weight especially since he is not the only one to have questioned Rodgers leadership, http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/thrown-into-question-n58fedi-187970011.html

He also took it back already lol.