Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coach Power Rankings

illdubb

Where I come from back to back division titles builds respectability something that cannot be dismissed. The Texans achieved a great deal & I don't deflate their HC for that. Why would I? These aren't the same Texans anymore. Don't underestimate them. Gary won 2 SBs in Denver with Mike Shanahan he knows what it takes to win a ring or 2 actually.  

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand using the run to set up the pass, but at some point it just get's ridiculous.

I mean you guys had basically a 1:1 Pass/Rush ratio. IMO A team with offensive weapons like AJ and Owen Daniels (and that O-line) should be throwing a lot more than it's running. Especially when they're not running efficiently.

Well we will for sure be throwing a lot more this year. Finally a competent number two who is not a TE lol. I hope to see more balance but I mean can you blame Kubiak? Our running game and defense were our two best components that got us to the postseason in my opinion.

Some ridiculous ones ahead of Pagano....Schiano? Munchak?? Philbin?? Rex Ryan???...Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!

All of those guys should be ahead of Pagano.  What exactly has Pagano proven yet? Right now, I give him an incomplete. We really have no idea what kind of coach he'll be over the long haul.  And laugh all you want about Ryan, he's earned the laughs, but he's also taken a Mark Sanchez quarterbacked team to the AFC Championship game. Twice. Pagano as a HC hasn't accomplished anything near that. Yet.

Where I come from back to back division titles builds respectability something that cannot be dismissed. The Texans achieved a great deal & I don't deflate their HC for that. Why would I? These aren't the same Texans anymore. Don't underestimate them. Gary won 2 SBs in Denver with Mike Shanahan he knows what it takes to win a ring or 2 actually.  

Well the list isn't "the best HCs since 2011." He's barely over .500 and has made the playoffs twice in 7 years.

He's right where he should be imho.

Oh no we terribly overachieved last season. We should have been 7-9, 8-8 at the most.

True, but there was some kind of driving force that got you wins against Green Bay, us, and Detroit. Don't know what it was but it definitely made for some unexpected wins and interesting TV.

All of those guys should be ahead of Pagano. What exactly has Pagano proved yet? Right now, I give him an incomplete. We really have no idea what kind of coach he'll be over the long haul. And laugh all you want about Ryan, he's earned the laughs, but he's also taken a Mark Sanchez quarterbacked team to the AFC Championship game. Twice. Pagano as a HC hasn't accomplished anything near that. Yet.

Yeah, RR is gonna continue getting laughed at this year unless Smith turns out to be spectacular. He isn't going anywhere with Sanchize again. Guy knows his football, he should be able to figure something out to get back to the postseason soon.

If you're measuring his success against a team that had the #1 overall pick a season ago then yeah he's pretty good.

But he's also 2 games above .500 and barely managed to win the division over a team coming off of a 2-14 season.

Look, all anybody can really go on is last season. Has Kubiak had some bad games? Sure. We lost to the Jags in week 3 [22-17] & the Jets in week 6 [35-9.] 2 of the worst teams in the NFL last season. Forgive me, if I don't lead the SB parade yet okay. We haven't done anything yet. Nothing worth celebrating in my book. Is our future bright? Sure, but the Texans are no cream puff squad either. If the Colts can improve, why not Houston Dustin? 

Look, all anybody can really go on is last season. Has Kubiak had some bad games? Sure. We lost to the Jags in week 3 [22-17] & the Jets in week 6 [35-9.] 2 of the worst teams in the NFL last season. Forgive me, if I don't lead the SB parade yet okay. We haven't done anything yet. Nothing worth celebrating in my book. Is our future bright? Sure, but the Texans are no cream puff squad either. If the Colts can improve, why not Houston Dustin? 

Umm they can, but that has nothing to do with this list. A guy who's record is 53-51 shouldn't be in the top 10.

Well the list isn't "the best HCs since 2011." He's barely over .500 and has made the playoffs twice in 7 years.

He's right where he should be imho.

Like a famous hollywood actor you're only as popular as your last picture. Gigantic BlockBuster or Ferocious Flop. I measure any NFL squad by successful seasons through concrete tangible results: 2 wins to 11 is great, but truthfully I would trade it for banners hanging from the rafters any day of the week man. That's how SW1 rolls. Can we acquire banners again? Yup, but right now the Texans are King Of the AFC South Jungle baby. They've got the division roar & INDY have earned absolutely nothing.

That why we play this game: Bragging Rights over our adversaries in our division...

What exactly has Pagano proven yet? 

That is an excellent question the cardinal. How much of last season's success is due to Bruce Arians vs Chuck Pagano? To be fair, Chuck hired Bruce on his staff & he does deserve to be commended for that wise decision, but Pagano sure as Hades wasn't coaching the Colts from his hospital bed was he? Nope. I will acknowledge that Chuck changed the toughness & mindset of this team, but given his illness which is certainly understandable, Pagano wasn't exactly leading the troops into battle iron on the grid iron every Sunday either. What Chuck accomplished at Baltimore got him hired here, but he has yet to prove his NFL prowess & stature as an HC at INDY yet. He will, but as it stands now fans should be surprised that his name even was mentioned at all in that list. 

That is an excellent question the cardinal. How much of last season's success is due to Bruce Arians vs Chuck Pagano? To be fair, Chuck hired Bruce on his staff & he does deserve to be commended for that wise decision, but Pagano sure as Hades wasn't coaching the Colts from his hospital bed was he? Nope. I will acknowledge that Chuck changed the toughness & mindset of this team, but given his illness which is certainly understandable, Pagano wasn't exactly leading the troops into battle iron on the grid iron every Sunday either. What Chuck accomplished at Baltimore got him hired here, but he has yet to prove his NFL prowess & stature as an HC at INDY yet. He will, but as it stands now fans should be surprised that his name even was mentioned at all in that list. 

Yep. We know he's tough, passionate, a fantastic guy and players seem to genuinely love him. Does that mean he's going to be a great HC? IDK. The sample size is just too small.  Those other guys have a body of work, even if some of them are flawed.  Right now he's an inexperienced gameday HC and I'm betting there will be a couple of Monday morning reactions next season that'll make this ranking look way too generous.  ;) 

Wait so was this Colt team good or not? When discussions like this come up everyone wants to act like the Colts were some little decrepit team that beat an iron giant but in other discussions it is about how good you guys were and how much better you'll be next season. Which is it?

checkmate.  :applause:

A guy who's record is 53-51 shouldn't be in the top 10.

Too many people get too obsessed with win/loss records IMO. When Kubiak took over this expansion team in 2006 after Dom Capers was fired, no one viewed the Texans as a AFC South threat at all. Gary faced Peyton Manning for several of his early years at the HC helm. I highly doubt that too many other coaches would have fared all that well against Peyton in his prime myself. Gary brought in Kyle Shanahan from 2006-2009 to serve in the following roles: WR coach, QB coach, & OC. He also brought in Wade Philips as DC in 2011 with extensive experience creating havoc & mayhem in Philadelphia, Denver, Buffalo, Atlanta, San Diego, & Dallas.

My point is that people are so shortsighted [Not any of my friends here naturally] & they forget how far this team has come under Gary direction hiring solid coordinators on both sides of the ball & winning division titles. I look at the big picture namely what this expansion team was & where it is now. Gary Kubiak has made the Texans relevant & not a joke anymore. He is to be praised for that transformation. "Don't miss the forest for the trees."

Would Ed Reed have come to a pathetic franchise to end his HOF career? Money is the cop out answer. Ed isn't playing in Oakland a crappy team for easy money. Do you really think he'd go to a team with no shot at a Championship? Hades no. Are players trying to exit that franchise in droves? Nope. We aren't talking about the laughable & dismal Browns here are we now?

SW1 has a different assessment of success than 53-51. It's the longterm historian inside of me that honors this worthy foe & Playoff team particularly Gary's impact on the Texans once he arrived.

Shanahan hasn't won a Super Bowl in a decade and a half. I'm done giving him rating credit for those rings. 

You know  that brings up a fascinating point. Winning rings or not has zero relevancy to me in an annual ranking of NFL coaches. Rings tie into overall legacies not individual football seasons unless you led your team to the SB last season. Sept. through February is all that matters during a season. Previous Championships won years ago are irrelvant. Thanks Superman for pointing that vital fact out. Some people get clouded by ancient glory days like Dallas Cowboy fans or NY Jets fans clinging to QB Joe Namath in SB III. 

Shanahan hasn't won a Super Bowl in a decade and a half. I'm done giving him rating credit for those rings. Since Elway retired, Shanahan is a mediocre 112-96, 1-5 in the playoffs. Not saying he's not a good coach, but I'm not giving him credit for Super Bowls from a previous generation.

Coughlin has two, Tomlin has one; that might have been addressed already.

Either way, I'd take Jim Harbaugh over both of them at this point if I had to choose a coach for my team. Tomlin got a nice deal with the Steelers, and while he's done a good job, he's also overseen some substandard seasons. Has a great quarterback and a veteran staff. 

Coughlin seems to lose his team every three years, but he's also been able to right the ship. Another really good coach, but again, a really good quarterback, veteran staff, and some lackluster seasons.

Harbaugh has only been at it for two years, so maybe this is premature, but he took over a team that had been floundering, that didn't have a quarterback or an identity, and they've won 24 games, 3 playoff games, and made a Super Bowl appearance. Speaking of the Super Bowl, his team got down early, and then made adjustments to get back in the game (the blackout had an impact, but I don't believe that it only benefited the Niners and only hurt the Ravens). That's good coaching. His team would run through a wall for him. He's very hands-on, very involved in the details of the team and the gameplan, not just an overseer. Harbaugh is one of the most impressive coaches in the NFL, in my opinion.

You could probably say some of the same about both Tomlin and Coughlin, but Harbaugh would be my choice out of the three, for sure. 

He won SB 29 as an O Coordinator for the 49ers, Not the same I know exactly but he was a coach of a SB winning team, Also lets look at the QB's he had to work with since Elway retiring and prior to Robert Griffin III(starters and backups):

Brian Griese-119 td'S

Steve Beuerlein-147 td'S

Chris Miller-123 TD's

Gus Frerotte-114 TD's

Jake Plummer-161 TD's

Danny Kannell-31 TD's

Jarious Jackson-0 td'S

Ultimately I dont think a coach can really be given alot of credit for a SB win, After all its the players that execute and adjust correctly and make plays that ultimately wins games

I agree Harbaugh has done a great job thus far as a head coach, Seems to very much a players coach who is not stubborn and does not stick to one set way of thinking as an offensive mind but adjusts to what his players do best, Perhaps your right based on that alone but its no secret Shanahan has not had a John Elway like QB since Elways retirement.....But for that matter I dont think Harbaugh has either to this point so they are even there....With that said Tom Landry did not go to SB after the Cowboys lost to the Steelers in 1978, 10 year drought. Then again he appeared in 7 NFL Championship games while winning just 2

Short memory syndrome strikes again on this forum.

I admit that Rex is a good coach and has a good history but if you're talking about Power Rankings, that means who's gunna do well this year. And to have Rex above Pags is ludicrous.

I admit that Rex is a good coach and has a good history but if you're talking about Power Rankings, that means who's gunna do well this year. And to have Rex above Pags is ludicrous.

Yes it's Coach rankings, not team rankings. You cannot judge coaches on their win-loss record because teams obviously have different qualities of rosters/schedules. Despite Ryan's obvious shortcomings character-wise, he is a very good coach, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Again, I believe Pagano will prove himself to us, but until he does, he has no place being higher than the likes of Ryan. Pagano was a symbol last season, not a coach.

Denver should take Jim Harbaugh's spot at #3. Clearly, this reporter doesn't believe in the old adage: "You are what your record says you are" Barry.  :lol: What is he basing his rankings on popularity with bookies? 

Dennis Green, they were what we though they Were when lost after a big lead to Bears that Peyton beat later  that year in SB

checkmate.  :applause:

Not sure how that was checkmate. Most level headed fans realize the Colts over achieved last year. And it's not unfathomable that a young team with a rookie QB, that added a lot in the off season, plus a major coaching change, could improve this coming season......unless one is simply trying to score cheap points while arguing.

Not sure how that was checkmate. Most level headed fans realize the Colts over achieved last year. And it's not unfathomable that a young team with a rookie QB, that added a lot in the off season, plus a major coaching change, could improve this coming season......unless one is simply trying to score cheap points while arguing.

Cheap points? I made a point and there is no counter to it. I guess there aren't many "level-headed" fans. So were you a good team or a bad team? There's no in between and depending on the argument it shifts according to the poster, which is what I was saying. It's pure manipulating, akin to cherry picking. Sure you could get better, but you could also regress. Who knows. The people who use reason recognize this. Others, the people who say the team was really good and make excuses for every loss/division title loss, and who think the Colts will automatically go 12-4 or 13-3 due to new players on the team, are the ones who don't.

Cheap points? I made a point and there is no counter to it. I guess there aren't many "level-headed" fans. So were you a good team or a bad team? There's no in between and depending on the argument it shifts according to the poster, which is what I was saying. It's pure manipulating, akin to cherry picking. Sure you could get better, but you could also regress. Who knows. The people who use reason recognize this. Others, the people who say the team was really good and make excuses for every loss/division title loss, and who think the Colts will automatically go 12-4 or 13-3 due to new players on the team, are the ones who don't.

I just made a counter to your argument....if you don't want to recognize it, well that's your problem.

Speaking of cherry picking....that's exactly what you did when you said their aren't many level headed fans. Wheather the Colts were actually that good last was debated ad nauseum last year.

And your argument was irrelevant, you were debating Dustin, not the entire board....which made your points cheap. It's a common tactic I find annoying.

This is literally one of the worst lists I have ever seen.

Rex Ryan above Pags?

I think this and other comments about Rex Ryan being above Pagano have convinced me not to waste my time on this list.

Rex Ryan is a disaster and should be at the bottom.  

I just made a counter to your argument....if you don't want to recognize it, well that's your problem.

Speaking of cherry picking....that's exactly what you did when you said their aren't many level headed fans. Wheather the Colts were actually that good last was debated ad nauseum last year.

And your argument was irrelevant, you were debating Dustin, not the entire board....which made your points cheap. It's a common tactic I find annoying.

Saying "we overachieved and got 11 wins but we still weren't good" isn't a counterpoint. How is what I said cherry picking? And my argument wasn't irrelevant, I was making a point based on the argument Dustin was making. The whole weak team destroying a Titan has been an old, weathered, completely ridiculous argument. Nothing I can say to explain it any better.

He won SB 29 as an O Coordinator for the 49ers, Not the same I know exactly but he was a coach of a SB winning team, Also lets look at the QB's he had to work with since Elway retiring and prior to Robert Griffin III(starters and backups):

Brian Griese-119 td'S

Steve Beuerlein-147 td'S

Chris Miller-123 TD's

Gus Frerotte-114 TD's

Jake Plummer-161 TD's

Danny Kannell-31 TD's

Jarious Jackson-0 td'S

Ultimately I dont think a coach can really be given alot of credit for a SB win, After all its the players that execute and adjust correctly and make plays that ultimately wins games

I agree Harbaugh has done a great job thus far as a head coach, Seems to very much a players coach who is not stubborn and does not stick to one set way of thinking as an offensive mind but adjusts to what his players do best, Perhaps your right based on that alone but its no secret Shanahan has not had a John Elway like QB since Elways retirement.....But for that matter I dont think Harbaugh has either to this point so they are even there....With that said Tom Landry did not go to SB after the Cowboys lost to the Steelers in 1978, 10 year drought. Then again he appeared in 7 NFL Championship games while winning just 2

To the bolded, you're the one that brought up Shanahan's Super Bowls, and Coughlin's, and Tomlin's. I think they should get some credit for them, but those aren't trump cards, especially when they were 15 years ago.

Speaking of Shanahan, I know he hasn't had a lot to work with at quarterback, but my point is just that I don't think we should be bringing up his Super Bowls from a generation ago.

And on Harbaugh, you get me there. It's his approach and his style that I'm impressed with, and it has translated into wins on the field, everywhere he's been. NCF can tell you more about the impact Harbaugh had at Stanford. I think there's abundant evidence that he's a really good coach.

Saying "we overachieved and got 11 wins but we still weren't good" isn't a counterpoint. How is what I said cherry picking? And my argument wasn't irrelevant, I was making a point based on the argument Dustin was making. The whole weak team destroying a Titan has been an old, weathered, completely ridiculous argument. Nothing I can say to explain it any better.

If you can't comprehend how a team can overachieve, well, once again that is your problem. It happens frequently in the NFL.

Your point was irrelevant because Dustin never made the claim the Colts were good last year. Who cares what poster x thinks....you weren't debating him/them.

Fact is, the Colts were far from a great team last year, but I'm sure you saw through that and was predicting the playoffs for the Colts the entire time.

If you can't comprehend how a team can overachieve, well, once again that is your problem. It happens frequently in the NFL.

Your point was irrelevant because Dustin never made the claim the Colts were good last year. Who cares what poster x thinks....you weren't debating him/them.

Fact is, the Colts were far from a great team last year, but I'm sure you saw through that and was predicting the playoffs for the Colts the entire time.

I know what overachieving is. I guess that's an excuse for having a team that lost in the first round. What win total did you expect? Dustin said 8-8, that's not exactly a mark of a completely terrible team. And I didn't have to predict playoffs...everyone was doing that midseason. If you want to pretend no one here had faith in the team then sure, go ahead. But I was here too. I know how it was. In any case we have completely deviated from the original discussion. Drop it because I'm not going to change your mind and you certainly aren't going to change mine.

I know what overachieving is. I guess that's an excuse for having a team that lost in the first round. What win total did you expect? Dustin said 8-8, that's not exactly a mark of a completely terrible team. And I didn't have to predict playoffs...everyone was doing that midseason. If you want to pretend no one here had faith in the team then sure, go ahead. But I was here too. I know how it was. In any case we have completely deviated from the original discussion. Drop it because I'm not going to change your mind and you certainly aren't going to change mine.

Yes, it's just an excuse for getting beat in the first round. That response is par for the course for you..... No argument so just deflect with complete nonsense.

I predicted 4-5 win when the season started.

I said level headed fans knew the Colts weren't that great. That is a far cry from "pretending no one here had faith in the team". But your nonsense is expected at this point.

Now you can drop it.

Yes, it's just an excuse for getting beat in the first round. That response is par for the course for you..... No argument so just deflect with complete *.

I predicted 4-5 win when the season started.

I said level headed fans knew the Colts weren't that great. That is a far cry from "pretending no one here had faith in the team". But your * is expected at this point.

Now you can drop it.

I can guarantee you there weren't many "overachieving" threads if any at all here when you guys were heading to Baltimore fresh off an 11-5 regular season. I'm not deflecting anything. There are still posters here that call the Colts great or very very good, especially after all the new additions. Just because you don't or didn't doesn't mean everyone else thought the same as you. But if speaking the truth and calling people out on complete bull is considered "*" to you then you can expect a whole lot more * from me.

I just think he makes a good point that a lot our fans think we are a Superbowl contender then when someone points out our negative aspects of last season we like to go the opposite way and point out the adversities our team faced. Not everyone thinks we overachieved or we wouldn't have so many people complain when we don't make the top 10 in the power rankings.

I just think he makes a good point that a lot our fans think we are a Superbowl contender then when someone points out our negative aspects of last season we like to go the opposite way and point out the adversities our team faced. Not everyone thinks we overachieved or we wouldn't have so many people complain when we don't make the top 10 in the power rankings.

I get the point...but it didn't apply to Dustin.

I can guarantee you there weren't many "overachieving" threads if any at all here when you guys were heading to Baltimore fresh off an 11-5 regular season. I'm not deflecting anything. There are still posters here that call the Colts great or very very good, especially after all the new additions. Just because you don't or didn't doesn't mean everyone else thought the same as you. But if speaking the truth and calling people out on complete bull is considered "*" to you then you can expect a whole lot more * from me.

NCF just started a thread the other day on how the Colts won with smoke and mirrors last season. If wanna act like it wasn't a topic that's your choice.

Once again, I never said everyone agreed with me. i said it was a hot topic and most level headed fans realized the Colts situation. You really like to play fast and loose with the facts don't you.

Who exactly did you call out? It sure wasn't Dustin....the person you were actually debating. You just pointed out that were different opinions on this board.....which is quite obvious.

NCF just started a thread the other day on how the Colts won with smoke and mirrors last season. If wanna act like it wasn't a topic that's your choice.

Once again, I never said everyone agreed with me. i said it was a hot topic and most level headed fans realized the Colts situation. You really like to play fast and loose with the facts don't you.

Who exactly did you call out? It sure wasn't Dustin....the person you were actually debating. You just pointed out that were different opinions on this board.....which is quite obvious.

The other day isn't the same as 5 months ago. There weren't topics like that on here. There were " Let's get ready for the Broncos" and " The Ravens won't be able to match up well with us" kinds of posts. As far as me calling people out, I wasn't referring to this situation. Since you think this discussion is " on par" for me and considering other posts I've made that you don't like, I was speaking in general.

The other day isn't the same as 5 months ago. There weren't topics like that on here. There were " Let's get ready for the Broncos" and " The Ravens won't be able to match up well with us" kinds of posts. As far as me calling people out, I wasn't referring to this situation. Since you think this discussion is " on par" for me and considering other posts I've made that you don't like, I was speaking in general.

Yes, there was a thread made the other day still....five months after the fact people are still bringing up. If you dont think it was a topic you are delusional. And of course there were homer type posts....this is a Colts fan forum. What did you expect " the Colts are going to be one and done, they shouldn't even show up".